Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do landlords in Ireland have it as tough as they think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

grahambo wrote: »
    Good Post

Bit in Bold got me too, seem very low.
    My Mortgage is €1751 per month, I'd need to be renting for near €3k a month to balance out.

But in fairness welcome to the real world. You could work and rent out your flat and have a lot less financial burden than most. Renting out a property doesn't preclude you from working.

grahambo wrote: »

You still have to live somewhere.
    Post above show not a huge amount of profit to be made.
    You cannot put a price on Hassle.
    Hassle = Least desirable thing.

Of course you have to live somewhere. Most LLs are one or two property people. They either live in their main residence and take on a lodger or rent their second house to renters.

And as regards the profit to be made you seem to be including mortgages as a business expense to be subtracted from net income. In a lot of cases the LL is using rent to partly pay off his mortgage or the mortgage of another property. You seem to be forgetting that mortgages aren't dead money. They get to keep the property at the end. Hence their using rental income to pay off asset acquisition.

And I agree that in some cases not much profit is made. However if they're buying a house as a primary residence hoping to make a huge profit well then that's not a great business move is it? Some LLs seem to think they're owed a huge profit. As a group of business owners they seem the most vocal about profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

:confused: Patently not true. I did not deserve most of my former landlords and they did not deserve a good tenant like myself
    Fool me once shame on you
    Fool me twice shame on me.
    Is there something about you that says "here comes a sucker"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Some LLs seem to think they're owed a huge profit. As a group of business owners they seem the most vocal about profits.
    And the counter to that is the Left seem to think because Rents are so high that ALL LLs are making huge profits, which leads to threads like this, when the reality of the situation is that the a of LLs are barely making anything and rent (big as it maybe) is just covering the costs of the property.

Floppybits wrote: »
    And the counter to that is the Left seem to think because Rents are so high that ALL LLs are making huge profits, which leads to threads like this, when the reality of the situation is that the a of LLs are barely making anything and rent (big as it maybe) is just covering the costs of the property.

Actually I'd say most people think the rents are high because the supply means that those with the assets can charge more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Edgware wrote: »
    No its not the reality. There are good landlords and good tenants. There are bad landlords and bad tenants. The dirtbirds usually find each other and deserve each other

Well I'm not a dirtbird I like to think I'm a respectable individual.

Been hoodwinked plenty of times by so called "good" landlords though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Well I'm not a dirtbird I like to think I'm a respectable individual.

Been hoodwinked plenty of times by so called "good" landlords though.

Life's a bitch and then you die

Graces7 wrote: »
    Most of my rural landlords could barely , literally , read and write and had no idea of the rules.

Oh you can bet they were aware of the rules, they just play dumb most of the time.

Actually I'd say most people think the rents are high because the supply means that those with the assets can charge more.
    I would disagree with that.  A few Landlords are probably creaming it but most I would say are charging rents to cover the costs of property.  I have a property and I haven't put the rent up and I wont as what I am getting is covering the costs and that is all I care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

There are good tenants and bad tenants, good landlords and bad landlords.
    The bad tenants screw the good landlords and the bad landlords screw the good tenants.

A landlord should be able to choose who they want to live in their property and on what terms. However they should also respect the privacy etc of the person in said property.

I'd sell my place tomorrow if I wasn't in negative equity. I'm paying tax on an income that I'm not making, in an environment where I have practically zero rights over my own asset when I'm the one working hard to make sure the mortgage is paid on it.
    I don't want to be a property investor, but I'm stuck with a property and a mortgage that I don't want.
    I too am charging rent to just cover the mortgage which is well below the market rates, there is no point in putting the rent up because god knows who you would get in (you want to see the sob stories the last time I had it advertised), how long they will last in it, how much damage they will cause and you only end up paying more tax in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Of course you have to live somewhere. Most LLs are one or two property people. They either live in their main residence and take on a lodger or rent their second house to renters.

I think taking in a Lodger is the best way to make a bit of money on this
    AFAIK you can get around 5 or 6 hundred a month and not pay tax so long as you live there too?
    And I agree that in some cases not much profit is made. However if they're buying a house as a primary residence hoping to make a huge profit well then that's not a great business move is it? Some LLs seem to think they're owed a huge profit. As a group of business owners they seem the most vocal about profits.

I'd say for most landlords who found themselves accidental landlords on properties with mortgages drawn down over the last 10 are making sweet fu*k all

If you want to make money on it, you need to have no mortgage overhead, it's that simple.
    This is where I get what you're saying about getting to keep the property at the end, as it's only at that point it starts making money, but the thing is most mortgages are 30/35 years, therefore most people will have retired or will be very close to retirement age at that point, so they still aren't making huge amounts of money (unless they've a whopper pension, but hardly anyone has an amazing pension anymore)

It's their kids that will make the money though, they'll inherit 2 properties in their mid 50's.
    But even then, you're in your mid 50's and probably comfortable enough. It'd be easier to just sell the properties than have the hassle of renting them

My point is it's not the cash cow everyone thinks it is.

If I ever found myself in situation that I inherit a property that I don't intend to live in, I'll be selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Currently paying 950 a month excluding bills. Yeah I think landlords have it good

Edgware wrote: »
    Life's a bitch and then you die[/QUO

Take your trolling elsewhere good lad.

I suggest the dole bashing threads plenty of your sort there.

Currently paying 950 a month excluding bills. Yeah I think landlords have it good
    I think you have it good, rent at under 1k.  Not many places you would get that.

I think you have it good, rent at under 1k.  Not many places you would get that.

I'm sharing and it's for a room

I'm sharing and it's for a room
    The rent on my apartment is 50 euro more.

How many rooms how many you sharing with

smdh at the landlords expecting "profit" while rent covers their mortgage

lads, its been said multiple times on the thread- if you want to calculate annual "profit" like this (nb you shouldnt, it's ridiculous) then by all means lash in the increased value of the property over the year as well.

theres two things going on- the various costs of renting and the equity in the property. landlords are in the business of meeting the former to gain the rewards of the latter.

if it were to be run like a business (nb dont do this either it too is kind of ridiculous) then set rent vs costs (but not the mortgage) and let that be yr profit/loss

you can have it one way or the other but you cant credibly beg sympathy by trying to have it both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

smdh at the landlords expecting "profit" while rent covers their mortgage

lads, its been said multiple times on the thread- if you want to calculate annual "profit" like this (nb you shouldnt, it's ridiculous) then by all means lash in the increased value of the property over the year as well.

theres two things going on- the various costs of renting and the equity in the property. landlords are in the business of meeting the former to gain the rewards of the latter.

if it were to be run like a business (nb dont do this either it too is kind of ridiculous) then set rent vs costs and let that be yr profit/loss

you can have it one way or the other but you cant credibly beg sympathy by trying to have it both ways

Well in that case, they should lash in the decreased value of the property over the last 10-years into tax reliefs too!

You can't credibly try to have it both ways!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well in that case, they should lash in the decreased value of the property over the last 10-years into tax reliefs too!

You can't credibly try to have it both ways!

theres a case, theres a case

over the course of the ownership with CGT is probably the only feasible way to do this, tho

• Advertisement

How many rooms how many you sharing with
    Thats 1k for the apartment.

Thats 1k for the apartment.

Well then we can agree my landlord is doing alright for himself then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It doesn't seem to protect tenants very well either, considering (a) what we're currently paying, and (b) the absence of security of tenure. I live in dread of getting a phone call from my landlord, saying he's returning to Ireland and wants his apartment back. We really need a better system - one that makes it easier to kick someone out for not paying their rent, but also makes it impossible to kick someone out if they are paying their rent, abiding by the tenancy agreement, etc.

Post of the thread. So short yet nails our key problems.

Wish politicians would read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Turtwig wrote: »

The problem right now is an overwhelming number of tenants have it tougher but the appetite for landlords to supply tenements is dwindling. Making things even worse.

That is an excellent observation.
    And I say that as a landlord who is choosing to leave my property empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sorry most landlords are gangsters, speaking from vast experience here.

It's a business for them, it's not done out of the kindness of their heart.

It's a virtual goldmine for them. Have you ever met a poor landlord? I haven't.

No sympathy for landlords either who let a place out only to have tenants fall back on their rent or wreck the place. Ask for a reference, most people who are decent have a work, or at the very least character reference, then cross reference that reference. That's your responsibility.

I pray to God that you suffer the financial harm that some tenants have inflicted on landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Sorry most landlords are gangsters, speaking from vast experience here.

It's a business for them, it's not done out of the kindness of their heart.

It's a virtual goldmine for them. Have you ever met a poor landlord? I haven't.

No sympathy for landlords either who let a place out only to have tenants fall back on their rent or wreck the place. Ask for a reference, most people who are decent have a work, or at the very least character reference, then cross reference that reference. That's your responsibility.

Interesting.....I have to admit this is exactly the type of presumptions, negative attitude that makes me glad we've not got our property out to rent.

We're lucky in the sense we don't need to have the property rented out all the time. We thought about going back to the rental market but decided against it - the alternatives give us a return we're satisfied with and zero hassle - or at least a level of hassle we're comfortable with.

When we thought of going back to the market with the property we thought about "incentivising" good tenants - our plan was to agree with the tenant to refund refund 5 to 10% of the rent paid if, at the end of the tenancy, the property was returned in a condition acceptable to use.

I discussed the idea with our solicitor and he kind of went a bit nuts and strongly counselled against it......there seemed no other way for us to protect the property if we let it to a tenant, so off the market it came.

Judging by that attitude, the money spent with our solicitor was not wasted. However, it means a decent central property in Dublin will only go out on short term lets to very carefully vetted people, with us suitably indemnified.

Interesting.....I have to admit this is exactly the type of presumptions, negative attitude that makes me glad we've not got our property out to rent.

We're lucky in the sense we don't need to have the property rented out all the time. We thought about going back to the rental market but decided against it - the alternatives give us a return we're satisfied with and zero hassle - or at least a level of hassle we're comfortable with.

When we thought of going back to the market with the property we thought about "incentivising" good tenants - our plan was to agree with the tenant to refund refund 5 to 10% of the rent paid if, at the end of the tenancy, the property was returned in a condition acceptable to use.

I discussed the idea with our solicitor and he kind of went a bit nuts and strongly counselled against it......there seemed no other way for us to protect the property if we let it to a tenant, so off the market it came.

Judging by that attitude, the money spent with our solicitor was not wasted. However, it means a decent central property in Dublin will only go out on short term lets to very carefully vetted people, with us suitably indemnified.

They're not presumptions, my opinion is based on years of renting.

If you are/were a decent landlord then fine, I respect that. Not every Landlord I've had has been dodge, but the vast majority were. There's no point in me saying otherwise just because the few decent landlords on here will get upset like you have.

There are decent landlords and decent, like myself, tenants. There are those tenants then who couldn't give a toss about the place their staying in and will wreck the place and be a nuisance for their housemates. I've any amount of college/work and even previous landlord references.

No landlord is really on the breadline. None of the ones I've met in my time anyways. One landlord on here mentioned he has two properties, that's two more than most people and that's fair enough.

But please spare me this craic about landlords somehow letting for the good of it; it's a business, pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

But please spare me this craic about landlords somehow letting for the good of it; it's a business, pure and simple.

Its not always a business

As for checking references, believe me, slum tenants have become very creative at ways of supplying fake tenancy references! It's a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

You seem to be forgetting that mortgages aren't dead money. They get to keep the property at the end.

We won't get an asset at the end of our mortgage. And I'm sure we're far from alone in having an interest only btl mortgage.
    We either need to have enough money saved from the rent to pay the full price outright (fat chance) or be able to sell to cover the cost.
    Half way through we would be lucky to break even on the sale, after tax, fees, empty period while sale goes though etc. I doubt we'll make back the money we spent topping up the mortgage during the lean years.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Its not always a business

As for checking references, believe me, slum tenants have become very creative at ways of supplying fake tenancy references! It's a nightmare!

Only accept work or college references.

Don't accept flimsy looking ones were they probably got their mate to scribble something down.

Slum tenants can be a nightmare for decent landlords, I can sympathise with that.

Can be hell for the decent tenants to have to actually live with that sort too.

Advertisement