Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Cake Controversy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

Scary stuff. I don't see any grey area here - they don't wax balls, simple as. I'll give up home if the court rules against the spa.

Which charity are you planning to support with the sale of your home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Scary stuff. I don't see any grey area here - they don't wax balls, simple as. I'll give up home if the court rules against the spa.

Depends how old he is ?

SORRY!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

victor8600 wrote: »

The Campaign for the Reintroduction of Common ****ing Sense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

victor8600 wrote: »

The Campaign for the Reintroduction of Common ****ing Sense
    Pcbrigade have taken over the bloody world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well at least it's better than Hitler's Germany. Better at taking over the whole world too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

You can blame Apple for that. If they'd priced Macs more competitively, PCs wouldn't have become as ubiquitous as they did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Conversation is borderline ludicrous. You should never be compelled by law to print political slogans or phrases that go against your conscience. It's called thinking for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Conversation is borderline ludicrous. You should never be compelled by law to print political slogans or phrases that go against your conscience. It's called thinking for yourself.

The Attorney General of Northern Ireland, the highest legal officer there, has come on board with the appeal against the court decision. So there is some expectation that sense will prevail, and the final outcome will be in line with your thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Similarly, you can't use conscience to justify illegal discrimination. If you operate a business, then it's fair for the public to assume that you will treat everyone equally. That didn't happen in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Attorney General of Northern Ireland, the highest legal officer there, has come on board with the appeal against the court decision. So there is some expectation that sense will prevail, and the final outcome will be in line with your thinking.

Haha you're incorrigible! Is that the self same attorney general Mr Larkin - who doesn't get to decide the appeal - rather the case is the remit of the judges of the Supreme Court judges hearing the case .

What will it take to see sense lol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sense has prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Because by implication he is discriminating against the person gay lifestyle.

If you say well I don't belive I should make a cake for a gay marriage because I am supporting something that is against my religion believes.

I could also say I don't want to employ a women as it is against my religious believes that she should work outside home and I don't want to support that.....

Believe what you want at home but don't take it to the highsteet.

By demanding a cake motto he knew would deeply offend the baker? Pot, kettle black? and the customer is the initiator. Persecution...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭golfball37

Well done Supreme Court. Common sense prevails. Travesty it had to come to this but fair play to aschers for defending personal freedoms. The people owe you a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

European courts next?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Gael23 wrote: »
    European courts next?

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Gael23 wrote: »
    European courts next?

I think it's important to remind people that this is over a £500 fine.

Supreme Court is enough, I wouldn't fancy those legal bills to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/10/uk-supreme-court-backs-bakery-that-refused-to-make-gay-wedding-cake?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

You'd have to wonder why the guardian insist on calling it a "gay wedding cake" when that's not what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

golfball37 wrote: »
    Well done Supreme Court. Common sense prevails. Travesty it had to come to this but fair play to aschers for defending personal freedoms. The people owe you a pint.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/10/uk-supreme-court-backs-bakery-that-refused-to-make-gay-wedding-cake?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

You'd have to wonder why the guardian insist on calling it a "gay wedding cake" when that's not what it is?

Probably keep calling it a "wedding cake" to stoke the controversy and make it relevant.
    I'm delighted to see common sense applied in this case.
    The right to freedom of speech in their refusal to make the cake, is just as valid as the right to service.
    The attempt to "make an example" of the Ashers has failed.

I am not a fan of dogma of any shade, and in particular of the religious variety but the right to conscientously object to providing a service at odds with ones personally held belief is a right worth upholding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

In the Graun's fantasy world, cake can have a sexual orientation.
    Cake can probably have a gender as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good sensible judgement

“It is deeply humiliating, and an affront to human dignity, to deny someone a service because of that person’s race, gender, disability, sexual orientation or any of the other protected personal characteristics,” Hale said in the judgment.

“But that is not what happened in this case and it does the project of equal treatment no favours to seek to extend it beyond its proper scope.”

Freedom of expression, as guaranteed by article 10 of the European convention on human rights, includes the right “not to express an opinion which one does not hold”, Hale added. “This court has held that ‘nobody should be forced to have or express a political opinion in which he does not believe.

“The bakers could not refuse to supply their goods to Mr Lee because he was a gay man or supported gay marriage but that is quite different from obliging them to supply a cake iced with a message with which they profoundly disagreed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/10/uk-supreme-court-backs-bakery-that-refused-to-make-gay-wedding-cake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good sensible judgement

“It is deeply humiliating, and an affront to human dignity, to deny someone a service because of that person’s race, gender, disability, sexual orientation or any of the other protected personal characteristics,” Hale said in the judgment.

“But that is not what happened in this case and it does the project of equal treatment no favours to seek to extend it beyond its proper scope.”

Freedom of expression, as guaranteed by article 10 of the European convention on human rights, includes the right “not to express an opinion which one does not hold”, Hale added. “This court has held that ‘nobody should be forced to have or express a political opinion in which he does not believe.

“The bakers could not refuse to supply their goods to Mr Lee because he was a gay man or supported gay marriage but that is quite different from obliging them to supply a cake iced with a message with which they profoundly disagreed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/10/uk-supreme-court-backs-bakery-that-refused-to-make-gay-wedding-cake

How did the previous judges who rules on this case not see this obvious point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Procedures probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Supose they interpreted the law differently. Suprised by the descion but now it's law in the UK.

Interesting that the judge quoted the reasons was it was in breach of European Human Rights. Probably means the same verdict would happen in Ireland too now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Supose they interpreted the law differently. Suprised by the descion but now it's law in the UK.

Interesting that the judge quoted the reasons was it was in breach of European Human Rights. Probably means the same verdict would happen in Ireland too now?

I don't think this would have even seen the light of day in Ireland

It's NIs very strict anti discrimination laws that allowed the case to be taken by Mr Lee in the first case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Great news, but a shame it had to go so far. Well done Ashers.

[/b]

I don't think this would have even seen the light of day in Ireland

It's NIs very strict anti discrimination laws that allowed the case to be taken by Mr Lee in the first case.

But we are in the EU too. If what has happened is in breach of article 10 of European Human Rights then it is now likely all EU countries would have the same verdict?

keano_afc wrote: »
    Great news, but a shame it had to go so far. Well done Ashers.

Dont think it's over just yet. Think this might finally end in Strasbourg.

There will be a film no doubt to about it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Too many posts for me to check through, but has anyone ( on here or legally ) raised the copyright problem of using Jim Henson's muppets in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Link to the judgment.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Too many posts for me to check through, but has anyone ( on here or legally ) raised the copyright problem of using Jim Henson's muppets in the first place?
    Wasn't raised in the proceedings, so far as I can see. Since the cake was never actually baked the holder of the right to the images had no basis for suing anyone (and, if if they cake had been baked, would probably have thought twice about seeking to get involved in these particular proceedings).

Advertisement