Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Cake Controversy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

DeVore wrote: »
    Serve the b*tch her chicken,
    Bake the f*cking cake,
    Write the goddamned marriage cert,
    Do your f*cking job.

This isnt hard.
    And always remember PCBRIGADE PROTECTED SNOWFLAKES must be kept happy at all costs especially in IRELAND.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And always remember PCBRIGADE PROTECTED SNOWFLAKES must be kept happy at all costs especially in IRELAND.

You're right, ertainly does seem to be a few of our usual snowflake right wingers triggered by this. Poor little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The owner stepped down as director from a local business group.

http://www.thenews-gazette.com/content/wilkinson-steps-down-msl-director

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Bake the f*cking cake,
    Do your f*cking job.

This isnt hard.

Not really that simple though either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bake the f*cking cake,
    Do your f*cking job.

This isnt hard.

And Twitter and Facebook?

Shouldn't they just then 'Provide the fucking platform!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Bake the f*cking cake,
    Do your f*cking job.

This isnt hard.

Shunt the carriage full jews and couple it to the train engine,
    Write the list full of gypsies for the relocation plan
    pick out the autistic newborns in the hospital to be sent to the "new" hospital
    Pack the wagon full of blanket from the influenza hospital for the Indian reservation
    Do your f*cking job.

This isn't hard.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Completely false equivalence.

In Nazi germany it was illegal to do what the nazis did and they people involved should have refused to comply.

In my examples the services are legal and are the obligation of the public limited entities to offer them for trade to all (or in the case of the marriage license, to obey the order of the courts as a court appointed official).

In short, refusing to comply with or be part of an illegal action is justified.
    Refusing to service a group of people because of your personal opinions of them, is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In Nazi germany it was illegal to do what the nazis did . . .
    It was not.

In the Nazi view of things, the foundation of all law was the fuhrerprinzip - political authority flows not from the people, or even from the nation, but from the leader. Early on in their regime, they gave effect to this through the "Enabling Act" of 1934, a constitutional amendment which said, in effect, that laws could be made not only by the Reichstag, but by the Reich government, expressed in the declarations and directives of the Reich Chancellor, and that laws made in this way would prevail over laws made by the Reichstag, and wouild have the effect of revoking or amending them as necessary.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that if the Fuhrer, or someone acting on the authority of the Fuhrer, tells you to do something, that's a law, and it trumps any inconsistent law which may have been enacted by the Reichstag.

Legal scholars mostly analyse this as the collapse of the rule of law in Germany; the government could do what it wanted, with no supervision or accountability to courts, parliament or citizens. That's not law at all; that's just brute force. If you take this view then what the Nazis did wasn't illegal in Germany, because there was no law in Germany.

If you take a less theoretical view, then what they did wasn't illegal because it was legalised by being enshrined in a government command, which had the force of law because the Constitution had been amended to say that it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

That backery owner is a tit. Glad to see he will lose a **** load of money on legal bills.

If you are opening a business on the High Street except the people on it and don't be an arsehole.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    That backery owner is a tit. Glad to see he will lose a **** load of money on legal bills.

If you are opening a business on the High Street except the people on it and don't be an arsehole.

It's the cake he had an issue with, not the people.

It's the cake he had an issue with, not the people.

weak argument. No surprises no judge is entertaining that defence

weak argument. No surprises no judge is entertaining that defence

Explain how it's a weak argument?

He didn't refuse to serve a gay customer. He refused to make a cake which said "Support Gay Marriage". They're two very different things.

He didn't refuse to serve a gay customer. He refused to make a cake which said "Support Gay Marriage". They're two very different things.

Because by implication he is discriminating against the person gay lifestyle.

If you say well I don't belive I should make a cake for a gay marriage because I am supporting something that is against my religion believes.

I could also say I don't want to employ a women as it is against my religious believes that she should work outside home and I don't want to support that.....

Believe what you want at home but don't take it to the highsteet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Gee, no one's said anything like this in the thread before... :rolleyes:

This has all been done to death at this point. The long and the short of it is that four judges across two courts have found this to be discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. And they heard all the facts, not just the ones that made it into the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

In Nazi germany it was illegal to do what the nazis did and they people involved should have refused to comply.

In my examples the services are legal and are the obligation of the public limited entities to offer them for trade to all (or in the case of the marriage license, to obey the order of the courts as a court appointed official).

In short, refusing to comply with or be part of an illegal action is justified.
    Refusing to service a group of people because of your personal opinions of them, is not.

If I’m not gay but I order a gay cake and the baker refuses to bake it is the assumption he refused me or the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Because by implication he is discriminating against the person gay lifestyle.

If you say well I don't belive I should make a cake for a gay marriage because I am supporting something that is against my religion believes.

I could also say I don't want to employ a women as it is against my religious believes that she should work outside home and I don't want to support that.....

Believe what you want at home but don't take it to the highsteet.

You could also say that I am supporting the law of the land which outlaws gay marriage. Which means that every baker would have to put that message on a cake if requested. Something like "Keep Gay Marriage out of Northern Ireland"

Of course it would take some Free Presbyterian types to discover a baker with a "gay lifestyle" to target, in the same way that Queer Space chose their target.

...in the same way that Queer Space chose their target.

Evidence please. And actual evidence, not circumstance, coincidence, or whataboutery.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Evidence please. And actual evidence, not circumstance, coincidence, or whataboutery.

It is a tactic long in use by activists in America. Queer Space did not invent it.

Also they got another baker to make the cake, the one we saw pictures of. They could have approached that baker first.

• Advertisement

It is a tactic long in use by activists in America. Queer Space did not invent it.

So no evidence. There's a word for making judgements about people in the absence of any evidence whatsoever.

Would a baker in NI with a gay lifestyle be legally entitled to refuse to put this message on a cake?

Keep Gay Marriage out of Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Jack Moore wrote: »
    If I’m not gay but I order a gay cake and the baker refuses to bake it is the assumption he refused me or the product?

Genuinely good question. Does anyone know the answer?

You could also say that I am supporting the law of the land which outlaws gay marriage. Which means that every baker would have to put that message on a cake if requested. Something like "Keep Gay Marriage out of Northern Ireland"

Of course it would take some Free Presbyterian types to discover a baker with a "gay lifestyle" to target, in the same way that Queer Space chose their target.

But a political statement that does not imply/encourage a criminal act is not against "The of the land".

Unless the bakery had a sign on the window saying no political messages then they may have been able to terminate the contract to bake the cake as it was against their terms of engagement. But I can't see how they can refuse the contract on a political statement that is not illegal to say when there was no notice that political messages were not accepted.

If someone says "support gay marriage in Northern Ireland" they have committed no crime even tho currently it's not possible by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Jack Moore wrote: »

Very good point, you could be ordering it for a friend who's marrying his same sex partner.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Very good point, you could be ordering it for a friend who's marrying his same sex partner.

I think the distinction between "Happy (Gay) Wedding Day" and "Support Gay Marriage" on the cake is important to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Here's an interesting conundrum for both sides of the divide.
    It started with 'bake the cake' but now we have 'wax my lady balls!'

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/transgender-woman-files-human-rights-complaint-against-windsor-spa

Here we have a human rights complaint against a Canadian spa were a Muslim woman refused to bikini wax a trans-woman's lady tackle.

conorhal wrote: »
    Here's an interesting conundrum for both sides of the divide.
    It started with 'bake the cake' but now we have 'wax my lady balls!'

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/transgender-woman-files-human-rights-complaint-against-windsor-spa

Here wehave a human right complaint against a Canadian spa were a Muslim woman refused to bikini wax a trans-woman's lady tackle.

Scary stuff. I don't see any grey area here - they don't wax balls, simple as. I'll give up home if the court rules against the spa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

I think the distinction between "Happy (Gay) Wedding Day" and "Support Gay Marriage" on the cake is important to remember

Well what if I ordered it to show I support them, maybe it’s a surprise cake to take to their engagement party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's amazing sometimes, the threads that manage to keep going for over four fecking years.

Advertisement