Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    How are we fixed for building materials? I hear that large chunks of Kingspan came adrift last Friday we can use them if we're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

So Munster 26K
    Leinster and Ulster 18K
    Connacht 12K
    Looks realistic, though I'd have reverse Munster and Leinster figures...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear these plans for a home worthy of Connachts ambitions, but I dont know how there is any scope to extend the current main stand due to the way the houses in The Green wrap around the Sportsground lands, unless they are planning to move the pitch / track further east within the site.

Going by the renderings the Main stand getting knocked and will be much lower but longer terrace, and will be right up against the dog track so The Green should be fine.

The designs are great but would like a look at the Clan side as I think there is a Terrace before the seated area

Exciting but guaranteed to be delays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

So are they knocking the current gym/offices to make room for the expansion of the Clan stand?

Also interesting to see how they accommodate the expansion of the Clan stand without having to move everyone out of it for the season it’s being constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

One thing I noticed from the drawings and piece on the Connacht website is that the exisiting training pitch will be built on.

Any ideas what the plan is here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    easy peasy wrote: »
    One thing I noticed from the drawings and piece on the Connacht website is that the exisiting training pitch will be built on.

If the new pitch is a 4G pitch I imagine the plan will be train on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    Going by the renderings the Main stand getting knocked and will be much lower but longer terrace, and will be right up against the dog track so The Green should be fine.

The designs are great but would like a look at the Clan side as I think there is a Terrace before the seated area

Exciting but guaranteed to be delays

Looks to be like the current main stand is just being extended and not knocked. I guess we won't know for sure until more detailed plans are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Redo91 wrote: »
    So are they knocking the current gym/offices to make room for the expansion of the Clan stand?

Also interesting to see how they accommodate the expansion of the Clan stand without having to move everyone out of it for the season it’s being constructed.

Could be a scenario where its built in stages or even a portion of the season using an alternate ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

freyners wrote: »
    Could be a scenario where its built in stages or even a portion of the season using an alternate ground

Could the new Clan stand be built in one Summer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Clan stand looks much more straightforward, I would imagine much of this would be pre-fabricated steel work and construction could be done in the off season - May-August plus no home games til late September would give them 4.5 months. IIRC the Clan stand as it is now went up very quickly.
    The main stand could take a lot longer, possibly do the Clan side first and increase capacity enough to accommodate the main stand patrons while that side is closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    The Clan stand looks much more straightforward, I would imagine much of this would be pre-fabricated steel work and construction could be done in the off season - May-August plus no home games til late September would give them 4.5 months. IIRC the Clan stand as it is now went up very quickly.
    The main stand could take a lot longer, possibly do the Clan side first and increase capacity enough to accommodate the main stand patrons while that side is closed?

Ya your right on the original Clan Stand going up quickly, IIRC it was done in one offseason but in fairness its basically a prefab corrugated shed so it was fairly straightforward to put when built as I believe they used the existing step of terrace underneath w/o any alteration made?

New one will likely need a lot more ground works done and also some works on the existing structures at the back so it looks like a far bigger project.

Could see some early season games in other venues or with restricted capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ya your right on the original Clan Stand going up quickly, IIRC it was done in one offseason but in fairness its basically a prefab corrugated shed so it was fairly straightforward to put when built as I believe they used the existing step of terrace underneath w/o any alteration made?

New one will likely need a lot more ground works done and also some works on the existing structures at the back so it looks like a far bigger project.

Could see some early season games in other venues or with restricted capacity
    This looks like a complete rebuild. No way that sits on the existing foundations.

Entrance-Shot.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Very cautiously optimistic about this. My big concern is I could see this taken a delays from objections.

Looks fantastic though and could see it making summer concerts a more common thing. Be surprised if this gets underway by 2020 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Looks to be like the current main stand is just being extended and not knocked. I guess we won't know for sure until more detailed plans are available.

Youre 100% right was looking at it wrong

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Youre 100% right was looking at it wrong

Same here, looks like the Clan Stand will be the bigger structure. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    easy peasy wrote: »

There is no reason they couldn't/shouldn't use less valuable land for training on.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Wouldn't be the biggest rugby fan (only been to two Connacht matches) but that design looks really nice. I hope they won't run in to many obstacles getting it built.

There seems to be a lot of projects in the works that could really change Galway by 2025. Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Same here, looks like the Clan Stand will be the bigger structure. :o

As it should be.

BeardySi wrote: »
    As it should be.

I might even switch to that side. I'd need a better jacket though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Bazzo wrote: »
    They need to submit planning first to see if there's going to be a decade long courts battle because some lad in Wicklow is thick that they didn't buy up his land for the new development.

Payback for some lad in Galway holding up the N11 road widening for 10 years, fairs fair like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    BeardySi wrote: »
    As it should be.

Why? It's only a recent installation and was barren for years

evil_seed wrote: »
    Why? It's only a recent installation and was barren for years

Because given the usage of the ground and the relative attendances, it's only fitting that the Connacht Rugby side of the ground become the focal point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A stand like that would easily take a good year to build. Probably the plan would be to build the upper tiers and office space at the back while leaving the current Clan terrace intact and then in the off season demolish the Clan terrace and finish the front of the new stand. Similar (on a smaller scale) to how Liverpool redeveloped their main last recently.

Definitely without moving out it would have to be done in phases.

A stand like that would easily take a good year to build. Probably the plan would be to build the upper tiers and office space at the back while leaving the current Clan terrace intact and then in the off season demolish the Clan terrace and finish the front of the new stand. Similar (on a smaller scale) to how Liverpool redeveloped their main last recently.

Definitely without moving out it would have to be done in phases.

IIRC Ravenhill was done similarly, the old West Stand was knocked the day after the season closer and the new West Stand was started. The terrace was completed and open in time for Sept with work on the stand itself continuing until the following April. Seemed to work pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Very cautiously optimistic about this. My big concern is I could see this taken a delays from objections.

Looks fantastic though and could see it making summer concerts a more common thing. Be surprised if this gets underway by 2020 though.

Well considering the RDS revamp was first brought to light in 2014 and was granted planning permission in 2016, with construction not starting until next year at the earliest I'd say 2020 will be well ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Plans are definitely exciting. Hopefully the project doesn't get stuck in development hell. Encouraging that they have already been speaking to the local residents but as ever objections are likely to come from outsiders rather than the residents of College Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Would like too see fringe players like Conan,Carey, maksymiw, Connolly, Horwitz, Joyce, de buitlear, leader get game time over the next few weeks if possible. Maybe even young Fitzgerald at 10 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Would like too see fringe players like Conan,Carey, maksymiw, Connolly, Horwitz, Joyce, de buitlear, leader get game time over the next few weeks if possible. Maybe even young Fitzgerald at 10 too.
    Game time in Celtic cup is all a lot of them will get.
    Fitzgerald at 10 against who? Who do you want these to all get game time against?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Wegians89 wrote: »

Surely we should be going full strength to try get a home quarter final. Don't see the logic in playing a lot of the young lads for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Game time in Celtic cup is all a lot of them will get.
    Fitzgerald at 10 against who? Who do you want these to all get game time against?

In s post match interview last weekend a sale player said that they were playing youth in challenge cup and focusing on the premiership. An opportunity there. France teams historically don’t really care about away games in Europe, plus first team players in each position mentioned above are either injured or should be due a rest. Along with friend already saying fringe players would get an opportunity. Fitzgerald is essentially third in line at ten with ronaldson injured. Youve carty who’s well overdue a week off, Horwitz might’nt even be fit and then the only other possibility is Godwin at ten who’ll be needed in centre with bundee likely to get rested and Farrell doing return to play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement