Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can completely understand why people would want Connacht to give the CC a rattle. The cup competition is a far more exciting campaign with the promise of silverware and a big day out being more likely than the league.

But, if Connacht are looking for a route into the Champions Cup, from looking at the two competitions I think the Pro14 is definitely the better of the two options. There's no reason Connacht can't finish at least 4th in their pool and have some very tricky fixtures already out of the way. They've played 4 of the 6 play off teams from last season already.

The CC is a tricky bugger this year. Ospreys have got their heads together, Clermont are going to be exceptionally hard to beat, Northampton should qualify from that pool too, Bristol's pool should be a handy one (I don't think Stade Francais are going to be bothered too much) and Quins always turn up in this competition. Connacht's pool is a really tricky one that's going to require them to win away from home in some difficult places and it's going to be a big ask for them to get a home quarter final from that pool unless opposition put out weakened sides.

Mul, it's over
    That there is such debate over whether to bother taking the competition seriously says a lot about the nature of the competition itself in the context of squad depletion and performing in two leagues.

I often felt that a smaller knock out based competition would be better, I don't know anything about soccer but a competition more akin to the FA Cup would be more interesting for the second tier competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Buer wrote: »
    I can completely understand why people would want Connacht to give the CC a rattle. The cup competition is a far more exciting campaign with the promise of silverware and a big day out being more likely than the league.

But, if Connacht are looking for a route into the Champions Cup, from looking at the two competitions I think the Pro14 is definitely the better of the two options. There's no reason Connacht can't finish at least 4th in their pool and have some very tricky fixtures already out of the way. They've played 4 of the 6 play off teams from last season already.

The CC is a tricky bugger this year. Ospreys have got their heads together, Clermont are going to be exceptionally hard to beat, Northampton should qualify from that pool too, Bristol's pool should be a handy one (I don't think Stade Francais are going to be bothered too much) and Quins always turn up in this competition. Connacht's pool is a really tricky one that's going to require them to win away from home in some difficult places and it's going to be a big ask for them to get a home quarter final from that pool unless opposition put out weakened sides.

Imagine being the person in Stade that draws the short straw and has to tell POC that we're not really going to bother with the CC :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Personally ospreys away after Europ, is the biggest match this side of the Christmas tinecinterpros. I’d love to see Connacht win these next two games and progress in the cup but I think they can do that with a bit of rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Buer wrote: »

So Let's focus more on qualifying for a competition we definitely won't win next season rather than one we are in this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    So Let's focus more on qualifying for a competition we definitely won't win next season rather than one we are in this year?

Pretty much.

Another year of second-tier European rugby would be very bad for Connacht. You need the big guns arriving to keep pulling in the crowds, you need to be on TV to generate the hype and keep the sponsorship coming.

So we've two rounds of Europe now, then Connacht travel to their pool rivals the Ospreys. It's a huge chance for Connacht to climb the pool table, especially if Ospreys are weakened ahead of the Wales game the following weekend.

This is an ideal chance to rotate a few guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

100%. The impact of being in the ECC is far greater and I would have thought is the stated goal for Connacht this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Rotating as much as possible and still trying to top pool should be the plan. Be very happy to qualify as 5th or 6th seed, ok you have away quarter final but depending on who qualifies as seed 1/2 away quarter home semi might be an easier route. It certainly would have been in recent years albeit the competition does seem to have some stronger teams this time.

The Friend Zone
    No Horowitz still, is leader injured? Excited to see Fitzgerald and de buitlear

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    No Horowitz still, is leader injured? Excited to see Fitzgerald and de buitlear

Eagles play on Sunday I guess they need to hold a few players back for that. Maybe Horowitz will get a run out in that game

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

In the article its states Denis Buckley is named but in the team its O'Donnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Godwin on the wing is an interesting one

The Friend Zone
    Nigel Carlin did make a point after they announced Godwin signing that he could play from 10-15, personally a bit surprised to see him there but we’ll see how it works out. Hope de buitlear can take his opportunity. Would love to see another local lad break through. Potentially minutes there for him after Reece deal being called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Nigel Carlin did make a point after they announced Godwin signing that he could play from 10-15, personally a bit surprised to see him there but we’ll see how it works out. Hope de buitlear can take his opportunity. Would love to see another local lad break through. Potentially minutes there for him after Reece deal being called off.

Who dat?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    that bordeaux team is very much a second string... only Ducuing at 11 is a regular in their position.

could be a cricket score for connacht here if their heads are into this.

The Friend Zone
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    that bordeaux team is very much a second string... only Ducuing at 11 is a regular in their position.

could be a cricket score for connacht here if their heads are into this.

Apparently they have named 4 hookers in their 23

The Friend Zone
    evil_seed wrote: »
    Who dat?

Damn auto correct got me on Horwitz too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

what age is Colm De Buitlear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

typhoony wrote: »
    what age is Colm De Buitlear?
    21 at end of year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Is there a tmo at today's game? Thought the Begles player led with his arm on McCabe when he had to go for the HIA

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

testtech05 wrote: »
    Is there a tmo at today's game? Thought the Begles player led with his arm on McCabe when he had to go for the HIA

No tmo according to the radio

The Friend Zone
    Hard game to watch that, no bonus point could cost in the end. Weather and mckeon injury played big factors in missing out on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

McCabe being unavailable for likely the next couple of games is not good. He was really getting involved in everything but he seemed to take a serious bang to the shoulder for his break for Godwin's try and also was knocked out after. I think it's a lot to expect O'Donnell to offer his impact off the bench. McCabe seems to have copped on since the Glasgow game so hopefully he isn't out too long.

Bealham minced Bordeaux's scrum when he came on. He's in excellent form after a poorish 2017 by his standards. Hard to see him missing out on international duty if he avoids injury.

Fainga'a has really settled in quickly. Lot of good carries and defensive work.

Bordeaux's clearing kicks were a class above ours all day. If we're to have an off day though much better it happened today than in the League.

As far as next week it'd be nice to have similar rotation but we might be a bit limited in front row options. Buckley was involved in warm ups but had heavy strapping on his hand. Hopefully Horwitz and Leader have excellent games tomorrow for the Eagles so they can feature against Sale.

Just a heads up for those that didn't see the match today: They use a light-green font colour on the numbers for the European kit which is not visible to the human eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Anyone at the match any more insight into how the debutants got on? Maksymiw looks like a big lad from the photos, side by side with Roux there's not much in it.

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Anyone at the match any more insight into how the debutants got on? Maksymiw looks like a big lad from the photos, side by side with Roux there's not much in it.

Maksymiw looked solid, didn’t do anything spectacular. Made a few tackles and hit rucks. He’s a lot bigger then I thought, pretty young still too. He has the makings of a good player.

De buitlear had a tough time being thrown into scrum half, so wouldn’t really judge him too hard. He had one very nice sidestep in a tight space at one point.

Fitzgerald looked pretty nervous tbh and there were one or two mistakes because of the nervous,probably didn’t help not having a proper scrum half inside him. He looks pretty light but don’t think he hid from contact. Think he could also make a good player in the near future, would hope he’s included again next week. Could need him with ronaldson out

The Friend Zone
    Anybody get down to the eagles match?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

On twitter Horwitz seemed ok and Mitchell took the conversion. Interesting for next week...

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    On twitter Horwitz seemed ok and Mitchell took the conversion. Interesting for next week...

Could very well see that combination in Manchester.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement