Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't. I give a damn about the here and now which I live in, and the exhorbitant costs left right and centre. Tree hugger stuff like this can go and ****...

It’s reasonable to expect people to be able to balance an interest in both.

Yes, we have to live in the here and now, but the “here and now” we pass to our kids is also our responsibility.

I’m concerned about people who can’t see that the future environment is importand because they’re essentially saying they don’t care about the lives their kids and grandkids will have to lead - that pretty sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Desiree Burch

_Brian wrote: »
    When the worker runs a car to/from a job it’s disgustingly close to being better off on tue dole. This is so wrong it’s unbelievable.

An extra €203 at Christmas brings it to an extra €9 pw while someone who will be getting up early on the cold dark mornings will be lucky to get an extra €3 pw into their hand.

A budget for the lazy and career breeders.

Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

tototoe wrote: »
    Problem is, thAt while the USA and China, don't bother...we are getting hit. The impact of any change by Ireland is minimal, considering the size of the place. We are miniscule when talking about our carbon output. It's just more tax. Our actions will have very limited impact on climate change.

Somewhat true, but it’s not people coming from China and America overnight who are flytipping in every green lane way. Throwing TVs and mattresses everywhere. It’s not their waste we’re burying so we can pretend it’s dealt with. Environment is an all encompassing project, we shouldn’t tune in and out to what suits us, I don’t feel a carbon tax is helpful unless the revenue is ringfenced and used appropriately, but pointing over the ocean and saying it’s their fault so we shouldn’t try is just playground talk. In time everything will matter, it’s a lifestyle and that has to build from trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

the only real problem I have with this budget is that tax on betting only rose to 2% I think that is criminally low. Gambling is a dangerous and addictive activity scourging many people. It is akin to alcohol and cigarettes and should be levied as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Higher rate band is being increased to 35,300 (up by €750)

Decreasing top rate of USC from 4.75% to 4.5%

This means for middle income workers, an effective 1% reduction in their tax payable.

Hourly Minimum wage increased to €9.80

USC band 2 moving to €19,874 - meaning a full time worker on minimum wage will not pay any higher rate of USC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

codrulz wrote: »
    the only real problem I have with this budget is that tax on betting only rose to 2% I think that is criminally low. Gambling is a dangerous and addictive activity scourging many people. It is akin to alcohol and cigarettes and should be levied as such.

It should certainly be taxed at at least the same level as tourism - I don't think 13.5% should be a problem for anyone on gambling..

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It should certainly be taxed at at least the same level as tourism - I don't think 13.5% should be a problem for anyone on gambling..
    It's boiling a frog tbh. Lump too much in one go and you create chaos in the industry, companies uproot, people lose jobs and rather than a massive tax take, you instead lose it all to foreign and online gambling.

Turn it up slowly, budget by budget and the companies will slowly adjust their costs to suit, while keeping their operations in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Will a carbon tax help? I have to travel the same distance to work no matter how much the fuel costs. I'd rather see them make economical cars much more attractive.

and no investment in public transport outside dublin so no alternative but to drive IMO carbon tax is just a cash grab

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Problem is, thAt while the USA and China, don't bother...we are getting hit. The impact of any change by Ireland is minimal, considering the size of the place. We are miniscule when talking about our carbon output. It's just more tax. Our actions will have very limited impact on climate change.

Ireland is part of an EU that has set targets. Not unreasonable targets either. We're very far off the mark and so we'll be getting hefty fines. That's the reality of it, regardless of what the US or China are doing.

Fwiw, in terms of percentage of energy from renewable sources, China are doing better than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

seamus wrote: »
    Higher rate band is being increased to 35,300 (up by €700)

Decreasing top rate of USC from 5% to 4.75%

This means for middle income workers, an effective 1% reduction in their tax payable.

USC band 2 moving to €19,874 - meaning a full time worker on minimum wage will not pay any higher rate of USC

Up by €750.

And its 4.75% down to 4.5%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That’s not true about China at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I expected them to do something with VRT specifically aimed at those buying cars in the UK

Maybe it makes sense to see what the Brexit deal is first

• Registered Users Posts: 24,283 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Higher rate band is being increased to 35,300 (up by €700)

Decreasing top rate of USC from 5% to 4.75%

Woopdedoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Lads. Don’t spend it all in the one shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,517 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The man who gets up early in the morning to go to work will be doing cartwheels with the approx extra 5 euro he'll be receiving.
    Cartwheels I tell you. Not even the price of one decent sandwich.
    Meanwhile the "never worked" wasters will get more plus a Christmas bonus.
    Something rotten in this country,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The man who gets up early in the morning to go to work will be doing cartwheels with the approx extra 5 euro he'll be receiving.
    Cartwheels I tell you. Not even the price of one decent sandwich.
    Meanwhile the "never worked" wasters will get more plus a Christmas bonus.
    Something rotten in this country,

Not even price of pint in my local.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Woopdedoo

For the average household, it's considerably more than the €5 a week for dole recipients.

Edit...actually my figures may be wrong...

Did fuel go up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Turn it up slowly, budget by budget and the companies will slowly adjust their costs to suit, while keeping their operations in Ireland.

In that case, you could be looking at 10 years to bring betting tax to a decent level. It really is gobsmacking that such wasteful expenditure is only currently taxed at 1%. Betting is a luxury activity and should attract same rates of taxation as all similar activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Anyone able to do the before and after on a salary of 30K?

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    In that case, you could be looking at 10 years to bring betting tax to a decent level. It really is gobsmacking that such wasteful expenditure is only currently taxed at 1%. Betting is a luxury activity and should attract same rates of taxation as all similar activities.

is the 2% on winnings though? surly the local paddy power doesn't just pay 1% now 2% on profits?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thomas 123 wrote: »

kpmg should have a calculator up soon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kind of disappointed they didn't go for something radical like the abolition of VRT on electric vehicles and a five-year suspension of motor tax for them, along with increasing VRT and motor tax on all other vehicles.

VRT is all but non existant on EV's unless your buying a 100k Tesla.
    I brought in my 2014 EV last year and VRT was 0. Granted its capped at a AMSP of 37k or thereabouts, but for the average Joe buying a car or importing one that's fair enough. If you have the money for a 100k Tesla, then you still get the allowance up to the 37k and only pay on the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

thomas 123 wrote: »

You'll be about €40/50 better off for the year. The increase in the tax band won't affect you so the only benefit you'll see if from the USC changes.

codrulz wrote: »

The bookmakers will pay it on behalf of the customer as they do now with the 1%.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You'll be about €40/50 better off for the year. The increase in the tax band won't affect you so the only benefit you'll see if from the USC changes.

So .96cent per week better off. Woohoo Thomas, the drinks are on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Amirani wrote: »
    Lots of people want it. Complete embarrassment that our country performs so badly in environmental metrics. If you give a damn about our environment and future generations, then you'll be supportive of measures that reduce the damage we're doing to it.
    Will a carbon tax help? I have to travel the same distance to work no matter how much the fuel costs. I'd rather see them make economical cars much more attractive.
    You mean like increasing tax on carbon creating fuel thereby making less polluting cars or alternative fuel types more attractive?

• Advertisement

So .96cent per week better off. Woohoo Thomas, the drinks are on you!

Id arrange a house party but Ill never own one.

Advertisement