Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Qrt wrote: »
    The buses have gotten a new lick of paint, that's all the end user should notice.

They'll notice when they open the DB website or app and the 175 isn't there.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You must've been in a very expensive pub. I didn't fine Denmark to be too expensive really, just like home.

It's 7-8 quid in most bars for the same volume. Considering drink is significantly cheaper in shops than here, drinking in bars is very dear there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

L1011 wrote: »
    It's 7-8 quid in most bars for the same volume. Considering drink is significantly cheaper in shops than here, drinking in bars is very dear there

After spending two months in ex Danish Schleswig-Holstein, the Germans don't do pubs really at all. The local town had a population of a couple of thousand, two supermarkets, two bakeries, a garage, opticians, and police station – but no pub. Public transport was pretty limited too, which was a shock to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sorry to interrupt the chat about german drinking habits, Jarret Walker also did the redesign in Wellington's bus, here's an article reviewing the process 6 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt the chat about german drinking habits, Jarret Walker also did the redesign in Wellington's bus, here's an article reviewing the process 6 years later.

And in the interest of balance, his response
    https://humantransit.org/2018/10/wellington-notes-on-an-nz-newsroom-article.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

How reassuringly Dublin. Let’s go digging for ****e on someone who is attempting an improvement on “but that’s the way it’s always been done - change is notiony”

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

cgcsb wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, the blackhall place camera is still working, but there are no fines being issued.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, they had it running only as a trial, as there's no legal basis for it. It needs the legislation to go through the process before it can be "reactivated".

The Road Traffic Act 2010 provided the legal evidential basis for the cameras and many FCPNs (and a few convictions) were issued as a result of the cameras.

Indeed, they only ran as a trial and there is currently no plans to use them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Shedite27 wrote: »

The NBRU picked up on this yesterday:-

https://twitter.com/DermotLeary/status/1047197339683889157

Pity the NBRU (and indeed Newsroom) didn't do their homework when stating he was the "US consultant behind Wellington bus nightmare", for example the New Zealand articles link to Walkers blog brings you straight to his latest blog where he rubbished the article, the article was updated after his blog and took no account of it.

Guess the NBRU didn't research the article too closely, or perhaps they did and conveniently forgot about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can anyone provide examples of successful bus network redesigns by Dermot O'Leary or anyone he endorses to redesign a network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

GM228 wrote: »
    The NBRU picked up on this yesterday:-

https://twitter.com/taniadoylecllr/status/1047200848328187905

The number of elected officials that apparently can't even do a google search to answer their own concerns is incredible. If Tania Doyle spent even a few minutes researching it she'd learn JWA won an open tender for the redesign. Why does she even think they were the only ones approached?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Shedite27

How reassuringly Dublin. Let’s go digging for ****e on someone who is attempting an improvement on “but that’s the way it’s always been done - change is notiony”

:mad:
    Steady on Lord, I was just pointing out that this is the sort of reaction that redesigns get all over the world.

But how reassuringly Dublin that someone assumes the post is negative :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭spuddy

When did the yellow appear in the new livery?
    dbus.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

spuddy wrote: »
    When did the yellow appear in the new livery?

It came in after complaints that the NTA didn't consult with people with disabilities. The yellow was found to be easier to spot for certain people, which is why the Dublin Bub livery was that colour, so the NTA brought it back in at the front, and the poles internally are yellow as well as a result.

An unforced mistake by the NTA in fairness, they really should have consulted the groups before hand. I listened to it at the time and really facepalmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭spuddy

It came in after complaints that the NTA didn't consult with people with disabilities. The yellow was found to be easier to spot for certain people, which is why the Dublin Bub livery was that colour, so the NTA brought it back in at the front, and the poles internally are yellow as well as a result.

An unforced mistake by the NTA in fairness, they really should have consulted the groups before hand. I listened to it at the time and really facepalmed.

What a total hodgepodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I really believe the yellow was put on as everything has been left to the last minute and they don't want the buses looking too different till db side changes.

Seen 1st of the new street lite single Decker's in Dundrum today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's interesting how quickly this dropped off the first page as soon as the consultation finished up. I suppose it has been replaced a little by the GoAhead thread, the resultant Bus Expansion, and the news about the 2019 contracts.

Anyway, the Dublin Chamber neatly summed up my thinking on the BusConnects project here, quite a nice article.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Thanks for the article, it's a nice overview of the proposed new system.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Anyway, the Dublin Chamber neatly summed up my thinking on the BusConnects project here, quite a nice article.

Absolutely excellent article, let me highlight one quote in particular:
    We believe that a desired commute time of no more than 30 minutes should be achievable from anywhere within the M50 to the city centre by the year 2050.

I think this is a very laudable goal and quiet frankly crazy that we don't already have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

bk wrote: »

I think this is a very laudable goal and quiet frankly crazy that we don't already have it.

30 minutes that's a whole pile of metro's they are going to need does the Luas even meet this target? I suppose it depends how you define city center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

By the year 2050? surely achievable by 2030 if not earlier? Assuming metro, bus connects and DART expansion are delivered in full.

30 minutes that's a whole pile of metro's they are going to need does the Luas even meet this target? I suppose it depends how you define city center.

Luas gets to the Red Cow from Abbey Street in 30 mins. Red line needs to have some stops removed and some more grade separation, the Long Mile/Nangor Junction especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Luas definitely does, 27 minutes from Central Park to Stephen's Green. It should be easily possible on buses using all Dublin's spinal road routes too.

Metro will be the only way to achieve this in the south-west quadrant of the inner-M50 area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

MJohnston wrote: »
    Metro will be the only way to achieve this in the south-west quadrant of the inner-M50 area though.

Bus Connects claims otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

QBC's have proved that it's doable. All they have to do is force through some of the infrastructure changes and 30 minutes is possible. They may have to implement one way routes in some cases but ultimately sw Dublin is flat, property values are relatively low, and there aren't major heritage areas. It's not like they're trying to drive a dual carriageway through malahide and dalkey.

but ultimately sw Dublin is flat, property values are relatively low, and there aren't major heritage areas. It's not like they're trying to drive a dual carriageway through malahide and dalkey.

We must be talking about different South West Dublins then... Rathmines/Harold's Cross, Rathgar, Terenure... they're not exactly cheap places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

cgcsb wrote: »
    Bus Connects claims otherwise.

Oh I'm sure it's possible on the arterial routes, but the declaration was it should be possible from *anywhere* inside the M50. For that I think you need Metro - not that the Metro will go everywhere inside the M50, but it is fast enough that you have more spare time getting to the nearest Metro station, compared to a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A long way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

We must be talking about different South West Dublins then... Rathmines/Harold's Cross, Rathgar, Terenure... they're not exactly cheap places.

With the exception of terenure, that's South/Central Dublin, so yes.

• Advertisement

With the exception of terenure, that's South/Central Dublin, so yes.

Where is south west Dublin then?

Advertisement