Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing disruptive aggressive housemate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Zander1983 wrote: »
    Well she's refusing to pay me my deposit back as i didn't give a months notice, i gave a week as had to get out of there. Also, when I moved in, i threw the old bed in the shed as it was probably about 20 years old and the mattress was actually a health hazard - it was disgusting. I bought a new one for 450 euro. I want to sell this to whoever moves in for 400 (I only bought a couple of months ago) as they will need a bed. She's saying this isnt going to happen and is insisting i put the 20 year old bed back in the room and take the new bed I bought with me. This means I have to find storage, get a moving lorry, and the new tenant has to sleep on a bed that's grotesque.

Im wondering is her increasing the rent against some rules as I'd like something to use to leverage her into acting reasonably and returning my deposit.

Sorry if I missed this, but why does she have your deposit, and not the landlord or agency? And how can she pocket more money from the rent if it's clearly 1400 for the apartment? Shouldn't that also be dealt with by the landlord/agency?

Try, but you might find it hard to sell the mattress to the new tenant. Bring it with you and use it, or store it until you can sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Zander1983

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    You have no leverage as you have cowed to her every whims and dealt with this is meek and timid manner.
    The idea you could use anything as leverage is just wishful thinking.

Moving out without putting up any fight or resistance.

No, no I haven't. I got fed up of dealing with someone who is outrageously petty and mentally unstable. I've enough stress is life without having to live with a psychopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    You have no leverage as you have cowed to her every whims and dealt with this is meek and timid manner.
    The idea you could use anything as leverage is just wishful thinking.

Moving out without putting up any fight or resistance.

Agree but probably a losing battle with this nutter. I don't understand how she holds the deposit though!

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed this, but why does she have your deposit, and not the landlord or agency? And how can she pocket more money from the rent if it's clearly 1400 for the apartment? Shouldn't that also be dealt with by the landlord/agency?

Try, but you might find it hard to sell the mattress to the new tenant. Bring it with you and use it, or store it until you can sell it.

I paid her the deposit when I moved in. Im unsure did she pass to agency - ill find out.

I guess she can pocket more, I had a look at the lease agreement and it doesnt say anything about breakdown of room prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I paid her the deposit when I moved in. Im unsure did she pass to agency - ill find out.

I guess she can pocket more, I had a look at the lease agreement and it doesnt say anything about breakdown of room prices.

Sounds like she pocketed it so...win win for her. Force you out and pocket your deposit to boot. Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

This whole agreement seems very unprofessional and messy. The deposit should always be paid to the landlord/agency. Not to sound like a condescending prick but just make sure that's done for the next place you find,
    for situations like this. and have everything down in writing.

For a nice parting gift, I'd do the following before you leave;

- Tell the landlord that she's advertising a higher price and looking to pocket more money
    - 100% tell the new tenant that as well.
    - Report her to the TV Licence
    - And most importantly, after you leave, purchase a huge banner, the biggest you can find and put it through the window that she always leaves open. The banner should read "Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition".

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I dont no, so ill get a removals company. Yeah i'll just leave it and forget about deposit, its too exhausting dealing with people this horrible.

There are guys with vans advertising on DoneDeal and Adverts.ie who would charge about 20 - 30 euro to collect and deliver a bed like that. Might be cheaper than a removal company. I availed of one guy when I was buying a sofa set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Who cares? You will be much happier if you just move out, move on and just forget the whole ordeal and her. Starting some revenge plot only takes up your time and emotion. People who are ***** generally are deeply unhappy anyway so leave her to it.

Well she's refusing to pay me my deposit back as i didn't give a months notice, i gave a week as had to get out of there. Also, when I moved in, i threw the old bed in the shed as it was probably about 20 years old and the mattress was actually a health hazard - it was disgusting. I bought a new one for 450 euro. I want to sell this to whoever moves in for 400 (I only bought a couple of months ago) as they will need a bed. She's saying this isnt going to happen and is insisting i put the 20 year old bed back in the room and take the new bed I bought with me. This means I have to find storage, get a moving lorry, and the new tenant has to sleep on a bed that's grotesque.

Im wondering is her increasing the rent against some rules as I'd like something to use to leverage her into acting reasonably and returning my deposit.
    Who cares? You will be much happier if you just move out, move on and just forget the whole ordeal and her. Starting some revenge plot only takes up your time and emotion. People who are ***** generally are deeply unhappy anyway so leave her to it.

She is right about the bed but wrong about the deposit. You should hold onto possession of the room until it is returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Zander1983 wrote:
    But of course she is making this as hard as possible for me. Also, the house is 1400 to rent so we were all paying 467. But she has advertised the room at 550 and is presumably dropping her own rent. Does that break any leasing rules?

Why should you care once you are out from under her rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From this, it sounds like she may have subletted the room to you. Therefore, I think she could raise the rent, as I'm pretty sure the rent rules only applies to tenants, and not licensees.

Check with the EA, if they have your deposit. If not, and she had subletted the room to you, let her know that you'll go via the small claims court to get it back.
    If I accidentally used hers, she would get angry and shriek.
    It'd be... rather unfortunate... if you took hers instead of yours when you leave :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Wash her cup and plate with bleach and water don not overdo it with the bleach

Clean the kitchen with strong bleach

listen to your ipod when the common area's to drown out her screams.

Every time she uses the washing machine turn it off before wash finishes

Buy dead mice from the pet store. Hide them in her bedroom and around the house when leaving

Leave Mental health leaflets around the house

Dont give your keys back without deposit. When she asks for them pretend to look for them until she goes away. What you do with the keys is up to you have the address written on the key tag :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The EA or landlord will never give you back any of the deposit unless they get vacant possession of whatever property they rented to you. It would be outlandish to expect them to pay it back without vacant possession.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    This whole agreement seems very unprofessional and messy. The deposit should always be paid to the landlord/agency. Not to sound like a condescending prick but just make sure that's done for the next place you find,
    for situations like this. and have everything down in writing.

For a nice parting gift, I'd do the following before you leave;

- Tell the landlord that she's advertising a higher price and looking to pocket more money
    - 100% tell the new tenant that as well.
    - Report her to the TV Licence
    - And most importantly, after you leave, purchase a huge banner, the biggest you can find and put it through the window that she always leaves open. The banner should read "Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition".

Hahaha

fatbhoy wrote: »
    There are guys with vans advertising on DoneDeal and Adverts.ie who would charge about 20 - 30 euro to collect and deliver a bed like that. Might be cheaper than a removal company. I availed of one guy when I was buying a sofa set.

Thanks ill check donedeal today

cocaliquid wrote: »
    Wash her cup and plate with bleach and water don not overdo it with the bleach

Clean the kitchen with strong bleach

listen to your ipod when the common area's to drown out her screams.

Every time she uses the washing machine turn it off before wash finishes

Buy dead mice from the pet store. Hide them in her bedroom and around the house when leaving

Leave Mental health leaflets around the house

Dont give your keys back without deposit. When she asks for them pretend to look for them until she goes away. What you do with the keys is up to you have the address written on the key tag :-P

Some great ideas here:)

Why should you care once you are out from under her rubbish?

Cos she was refusing to give back deposit. But just got an email this morning from agency saying whomever moves in should pay me the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Cos she was refusing to give back deposit. But just got an email this morning from agency saying whomever moves in should pay me the deposit.

You're definitely better off out of this letting if that's how the agents are carrying on.

Expecting deposits to go from tenant to tenant is really unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

You'll need to make sure you're there when they move in so, as no doubt the b*tch will have it pocketed if you don't. Hope the next tenant is a complete nightmare so she'll get a taste of her own medicine.

You're definitely better off out of this letting if that's how the agents are carrying on.

Expecting deposits to go from tenant to tenant is really unprofessional.

In fairness this is how a lot of house shares work. From my own experience it was more common to give a deposit to a tenant moving out/get it of a new tenant when moving out yourself than to deal with the LL. In many houses shares the LL has very little to do with things day to day and leaves finding new tenants, deposits etc up to the people living in the house.

As for the ops housemate changing the rent, there isn't really anything wrong with this. Often a head tenant will be told the rent is "x" it's up to the tenants on how to divide it or often the person looking for new tenants decides the divide to suit themselves which in itself I don't see much wrong with as they are doing a fair bit of work in managing the house.

All that being said the ops housemate is not reasonable and sounds crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

You also can go down the small claims court route for your deposit. I'm guessing the EA will get your deposit back to you pronto rather than go through that.

Are you eligible?

You can use the Small Claims procedure if your claim is for €2,000 or less. Only certain claims can be brought using the Small Claims procedure. You can make a claim if you are:

A consumer, making a claim for goods or services bought for private use from someone selling them as part of a business
    A business, making a claim for goods or services bought for business use from someone selling them as part of a business
    Making a claim for minor damage to property
    Making a claim if a rent deposit for certain kinds of rented properties has not been returned. For example, a holiday home or a room / flat in a premises where the owner also lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

In fairness this is how a lot of house shares work. From my own experience it was more common to give a deposit to a tenant moving out/get it of a new tenant when moving out yourself than to deal with the LL. In many houses shares the LL has very little to do with things day to day and leaves finding new tenants, deposits etc up to the people living in the house.

And that is why we have so many amateur landlords in this country. If sorting out deposits in a professional, above board manner is too much hassle for a landlord then perhaps they shouldn't be in the game.

There's also an agency in place according to the OP. So someone is being paid by the landlord to manage this type of stuff. Telling a leaving tenant to get the money from an incoming tenant is such bad practice.

It also doesn't address updating the lease to remove the OP's name and add the new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's also an agency in place
    Off-topic, but the agencies in Ireland seem to more clueless than the landlords, and even lazier!

An update: yesterday I was pushed twice by the housemate, who then tried to record my reaction (my reaction was to call her a psychopath and a lunatic). The lunatic is supposed to arrange viewings to replace me - but is delaying this so as I will not get back my deposit (the agency has said she must take charge of viewings and the deposit of new person goes to me).

What in god's name can I do in such an insane situation? I'd like my deposit back, but am not allowed to arrange viewings. Im planning to sleep at the girlfriend's for the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The EA or landlord will never give you back any of the deposit unless they get vacant possession of whatever property they rented to you. It would be outlandish to expect them to pay it back without vacant possession.

Have you seen the Netflix series called "don't trust the bi**h in apartment 23"? Sound familiar to your psycho housemate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Is she hot?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Honestly, I'd actually talk to the Gardai about it. Go down and ask to make a statement about what happened. If she's that nuts, there's every chance she could falsely accuse you of something (pushing you and trying to provoke you into a reaction and then recording it) Keep a diary of everything that happens, with dates and times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Spanish girls are a different species. They are utterly devoid of common sense and cannot function in a basic manner in life without creating a phenomenal amount of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

That letting agency your dealing with are highly unprofessional. I'd get advice off a solicitor and the guards.
    If you stay in your girlfriends the next few nights that housemate will arrange a viewing without you knowing and pocket the deposit, I guarantee that.

I know it's a huge hassle but if you let this girl walk all over you, your not going to see any money, go down to the letting agency and demand to speak to a manager, tell them its unacceptable that your grievances have not been dealt with in any professional manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sabat wrote: »
    Is she hot?

yes, hot-headed
    Spanish latin girls are a different species. They are utterly devoid of common sense and cannot function in a basic manner in life without creating a phenomenal amount of drama.

to be precise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Sounds like a very stressful home. I had similar when I was in college. One of my house mates moved his girlfriend in to the house and she paid nothing towards the rent, the other people in the house brought it up with him and things started to turn bad. Next thing his girlfriend hit on me one day when another house mate was in the kitchen (she didn't realize he was there), I never said anything after that but the guy that heard and saw it said it to her boyfriend. Next thing similar stuff was happening, he stopped paying electricity because it was in my name, so i would turn the electricity off in his room by the fuse board all the time to try get him to pay again, he kept eating my food, would throw it out or would do stuff to it so I couldn't eat it, I had to go to the shop every single day to buy whatever I wanted to eat because I couldn't store anything in the house. Then he refused to pay rent for a few months knowing that the landlord would threaten to kick us all out (which he did). This turned in to a physical confrontation one day when I told him to leave the house for good or else start paying rent and back pay it also.
    After that I refused to speak to him, if he wanted to communicate anything to me it had to go through the lease company, the lease company were not happy about it, but they done it. I wanted everything officially documented. I would just refuse to communicate with him unless it came from them. It eventually worked and things went back to normal except we didn't speak a word to each other for about 3 years.
    Throughout the whole thing, we tried to get him kicked out of the house. But the landlord or the letting agency wanted anything to do with it. They told us we either sort it ourselves or else we all move out.
    Moral of the story is, I would try get the letting agency involved, and anything she wants to say to you or you want to say to her should be through them.

Advertisement