Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

• 02-10-2018 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not sure if there's one on the go here.
    it's coming up to the time a lot will be starting to make Christmas cakes and puddings.(I know some have already)
    So if you want to share this feel free to.
    If you have any questions ask away.
    Or if it's anything to do with Christmas baking/cooking in generally from savory to sweet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I’d highly recommend Nigella’s chilli jam. It’s great as gifts in little jars (Ikea has great ones) and delicious with Christmas leftovers in a sandwich or with a cheese board. Plus you can make it a month in advance so it’s out of the way before the madness.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chilli-jam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

lol, my mouth started watering for real looking at all her recipes. It's gonna be a long low-carb friendly road til Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yep, I swear by pots of the chilli jam as little gifts. Also just for eating on cheese sandwiches, omg NOMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm looking for a mincemeat recipe - someone gave me one last year and I can't find it :( Possibly from the Good Housekeeping mag?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm looking for a good shortbread recipe, it's one of the first things I want to bake when I get into my new home.

• Advertisement

Oh shortbread would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Every January, I aim to cook a Christmas Pud for the following year, but never get to it. I.m well able to bake, and make a couple of
    Christmas Cakes every year. Any good Pudding recipe anybody could share plz....
    And the fact that I.v put it on paper means I have to do it now.....LOL...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

I put up a recipe for Mulled wine last year. I use the same one every year. Make a suryup, add the wine slowly, never boiling to keep all the alcohol.

I got fortnum and mason mulled wine sachets, cost a bit, one year to speed things up. They were rank.

Every January, I aim to cook a Christmas Pud for the following year, but never get to it. I.m well able to bake, and make a couple of

I'll look out mine when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I always use the BBC basic shortbread recipe: https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/shortbread_1290.

Trick is to use really good quality UNSALTED butter. I've made variations with chocolate chips and using vanilla sugar too. Don't overwork the dough, and DEFINITELY chill it as long as you can before baking.

You have to make sure as well not to overbake. That's what turns shortbread really bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I always use the BBC basic shortbread recipe: https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/shortbread_1290.

Trick is to use really good quality UNSALTED butter. I've made variations with chocolate chips and using vanilla sugar too. Don't overwork the dough, and DEFINITELY chill it as long as you can before baking.

You have to make sure as well not to overbake. That's what turns shortbread really bitter.

Ah lads... the pressure haha, thank you, the recipe is perfect. :)

• Every January, I aim to cook a Christmas Pud for the following year, but never get to it. I.m well able to bake, and make a couple of

This is my mother’s recipe. I usually make it October bank holiday weekend. I soak fruit and nuts Friday night. Mix the rest of the ingredients in Saturday. Add in extra Guinness if needed Sunday and boil Monday.

4oz breadcrumbs
    2oz flour
    4oz sugar
    1/2 teaspoon each salt and mixed spice.

2 eggs
    4oz butter / melted
    1/4 pint Guinness

8oz each sultanas and raisins
    2oz each cherries, mixed peel and chopped almonds.
    Juice and rind of an orange and lemon
    One cooking apple grated.
    1/2 glass whiskey or brandy

Mix fruit and nuts with whiskey and leave overnight
    Mix in rest of ingredients and leave overnight
    Add more Guinness if needed

Makes between 2 and 4 puddings, depending on what bowls you’ve got.

I cover with disk of greaseproof paper and tinfoil.

Boil for 3 to 4 hours. I store in fridge. They hold for up to a year.

Boil for an hour before serving with custard and cream.

This is my pudding recipe - it's from an old Christmas recipe card from Stork from I'd say the early 80s.

6oz Self-Raising Flour
    1 tsp mixed spice
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    8 oz Breadcrumbs
    12oz Dark Brown Sugar
    1lb currants
    8oz raisins
    8oz Sultanas
    4oz mixed peel
    4oz glace cherries, halved, washed & dried
    2oz chopped almonds
    Zest of a lemon & orange
    8oz margarine, melted and cooled slightly

Beaten together:
    3 large eggs
    2tbsps whiskey
    1/2 pint Guinness

Sieve the flour and spices into a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, sugar, fruit, nuts and zest. Mix well. Make a well in the centre and pour in the melted margarine the egg mix. Mix throuogly with a wooden spoon.
    Cover and leave to stand overnight

Next day:
    Stir well. Make Christmas wish. Pour into prepared bowls (I use 2pint pudding bowls), cover and steam for about 6 hours.

Wrap in greaseproof paper and tinfoil until you want to eat them :D

This gives me two decent puddings. I mix it in a basin - there are no baking bowls in my house big enough

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

CheerLough, I.d say that is the one my mam used to use. Stork !! I vividly remember the well thumbed booklet. Pressure def on
    now to make a pud. thanks for the recipes.

CheerLough.

That’s an excellent power couple name. Hey CheerLouth, how you doing? :pac:

CheerLough, I.d say that is the one my mam used to use. Stork !! I vividly remember the well thumbed booklet. Pressure def on
    now to make a pud. thanks for the recipes.

My mam still has it - it's red and I think it has a Christmas Cake recipe in it too :)
    Loughc wrote: »
    That’s an excellent power couple name. Hey CheerLouth, how you doing? :pac:

Awesome name, Loughc, but I fear you are too late :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Old Stork and Odlums Christmas recipes!
    43223280_2118610454838837_3158088984597364736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=aafbef7a47010bb49c0e2338fe3ee624&oe=5C156573
    43225972_2118610788172137_7310565234404491264_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&oh=e65f868ace56d9e3cfc1ae8d28cf381e&oe=5C1752FF
    43163685_2118611021505447_6759160840269594624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&oh=b2013a32462618d2d8b21c351bd09e34&oe=5C1A1A14
    43128045_2118611124838770_4832880162771042304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=ef89e6114d765dcea809d88e61cf8e56&oe=5C54DA30
    43178756_2118611301505419_3572361146054737920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&oh=1d70f0bbc3558d1513e40b31d6a400a0&oe=5C55D920

Awesome! It's the first one that mam has

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I’d highly recommend Nigella’s chilli jam. It’s great as gifts in little jars (Ikea has great ones) and delicious with Christmas leftovers in a sandwich or with a cheese board. Plus you can make it a month in advance so it’s out of the way before the madness.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chilli-jam

You motivated me, and I made this chilli jam and her chutney yesterday. The whole house smelled of Christmas from the chutney. All the jars are now stacked in the larder cupboard.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Awesome! It's the first one that mam has

Ditto. Our Christmas cake looked like the cover too. I was given the all important job of making it prickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ditto. Our Christmas cake looked like the cover too. I was given the all important job of making it prickly.

My god does that bring back memories... remember the icing being 'prickled' like that as well when my mum used to bake a christmas cake...

wow, just been hit with my first real wave of christmas nostalgia for the year!!

Brilliant!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB its class isn't it. Tis the only season that does that to me. It used to be going on foriegn holidays, now they are as much a chore as a holiday.

Get over to the tinsel FM thread about the slade song, I was nearly welling up in the office singing it in my head with memories of the smell of dusty tinsel.

Oh my god the smell of dusty tinsel. You could remember that scent so well even now.

Jude13 wrote: »
    DvB its class isn't it. Tis the only season that does that to me. It used to be going on foriegn holidays, now they are as much a chore as a holiday.

Get over to the tinsel FM thread about the slade song, I was nearly welling up in the office singing it in my head with memories of the smell of dusty tinsel.

Already been over there & thanked every post by LoughC... that chap has a nasty habit of bringing back a load of great memories of christmas over the years:D

And you're spot on, christmas is the only thing that really brings back the nostalgia so strongly!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Smells are what really fire my memories, guess that's why I really like real trees. The smell of thick fresh snow brings back days when I would go out at all hours as a kid to the deserted suburban street with the orangey yellow street light glowing, then the crunch of the snow. aahhhh I want to be home for Christmas (most of the snow as a kid was not at Christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I’d highly recommend Nigella’s chilli jam. It’s great as gifts in little jars (Ikea has great ones)

That's gas, I just made a few dozen of Nigella's chilli jam, and all in IKEA's little kilner jars. Great minds!!

CheerLouth wrote:
    I'm looking for a mincemeat recipe - someone gave me one last year and I can't find it Possibly from the Good Housekeeping mag?

I use the Ballymaloe one every year. It is also a great gift to give along with a print out of the instructions to make mincepies with a sheet of frozen pastry :)

If you can't find it I can post for you.

I use the Ballymaloe one every year. It is also a great gift to give along with a print out of the instructions to make mincepies with a sheet of frozen pastry :)

If you can't find it I can post for you.

Please do!!!

DvB wrote: »
    Please do!!!

Sin e, and it's very easy, that's the other good thing:

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/recipes/ballymaloe-homemade-mincemeat-30739002.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

I'm going to be making the pudding this week! I've never made one before so it will be a bit of an experiment but I can't wait to try out some of the recipes here.

I'm going to be a bit controversial and also make a chocolate biscuit cake in a pudding dish and decorate it with fondant to look like a Christmas pudding. A lot of the family doesn't like actual pudding so that will keep them happy.

I'm going to head out to Ikea at the weekend and pick up some jars for some of that chili jam and homemade caramel as presents for people. I'm so excited now for all the food!

Advertisement