Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Due out in the USA on 14 Feb - Valentine's Day - with a new poster image here (huge). The title no longer includes "X-Men", just the circle X.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Trailer starts a bit wonky as I'm still not completely convinced by Turner outside of Got, but it does look better as trailer develop.

Fascinating scenario as I didn't get the impression that this is them trying to brusquely wrap up the franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Full trailer is now live; looks pretty modest in comparison to the escalating brainless destruction of Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Well I'm some what hopeful, I loved First Class and Days of Future Past. Not so much Apocalypse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Well at least the trailer ticked the "play a slowed down trendy version of a classic song" box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

could have been the ominous Bwaaaaaaam! sound

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The last X-Men movie was really poor IMO.
    One of the iconic X-Men villains reduced to basically being defeated by glorified PMS to fore-shadow Dark Phoenix.

I'd hope that there is some respect paid to the source material.
    More than in the original trilogy's attempt at least.
    Ideally the Shi'ar and the M'kraan crystal and even Lilandra.
    The trailer does seem to tease a stargate and spaceflight at least.
    Here's hoping, but I'm with many others when I say that Disney taking back the franchise, allows for an R rated expansion of the MCU that I'd love to see happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

banie01 wrote: »
    The last X-Men movie was really poor IMO.
    One of the iconic X-Men villains reduced to basically being defeated by glorified PMS to fore-shadow Dark Phoenix.

I'd hope that there is some respect paid to the source material.
    More than in the original trilogy's attempt at least.
    Ideally the Shi'ar and the M'kraan crystal and even Lilandra.
    The trailer does seem to tease a stargate and spaceflight at least.
    Here's hoping, but I'm with many others when I say that Disney taking back the franchise, allows for an R rated expansion of the MCU that I'd love to see happen.

No chance Disney will ever do R rated Marvel movies. I personally don't get the excitement about the X-Men going to Disney. We've gotten a couple of top tier films and a few very good ones out of Fox. If it goes back to Disney we'll either get no movies or get the usual watered down mid level Marvel movies. I'd much rather Fox stayed as it is and we got a reboot a few years down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

correction wrote: »
    No chance Disney will ever do R rated Marvel movies. I personally don't get the excitement about the X-Men going to Disney. We've gotten a couple of top tier films and a few very good ones out of Fox. If it goes back to Disney we'll either get no movies or get the usual watered down mid level Marvel movies. I'd much rather Fox stayed as it is and we got a reboot a few years down the road.

I actually agree with you in that I don't think Disney will go R-Rated for the X-Men franchise.
    I had typod in my post :( as I was tushing
    What I'd meant to post was...
    banie01 wrote: »
    Here's hoping, but I'm with many others when I say that Disney taking back the franchise, allows
    "hope" for an R rated expansion of the MCU that I'd love to see happen, but probably won't as Disney will try retconning the X-Men into the MCU

I do find it to be quite the shame. I know they're dead set on keeping their kid friendly image but you don't have to associate any R rated movies with the Disney brand really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

The movies biggest failing will be the fact that the unremarkable Sophie Turner will be the focus. She was incredibly bland in Apocalypse and I don't think she is good enough to carry a blockbuster like this.

As much as I like this series, it really needs a break and a reboot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

El Duda wrote: »

Well now that Disney own Marvel and Fox I imagine there will a reboot coming very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,427 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sophie Turner's voice wrecks my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

X-Men doesn't need to be R Rated the best X-men stories ever told in comics were done perfectly in the X-Men Animated Series in the 90s and then some , It's a pity that they have looked to have turn Jean Grey into a modern day Carrie , Being honest it all looks pretty pedestrian

I for one can't wait until Disney takes this franchise over , 3 decades and we'v gotten 2 maybe 3 at a push decent Xmen Films (logan, deadpool, xmen first class)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

X-Men 2 is very good.

Days of Future Past is an excellent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Howard the duck wants a word

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I for one can't wait until Disney takes this franchise over , 3 decades and we'v gotten 2 maybe 3 at a push decent Xmen Films (logan, deadpool, xmen first class)

I highly doubt Disney would have OK'd Deadpool or Logan.

But isn't that just the point go back and read X-men or any of those , the fact that Fox had to disconnect two movies from there continuity and make them R Rated , Yes X Men 2 was decent , Days of Future Past was alright but both of them suffer from misuse of characters and leaning heavily on Wolverine

Cyclops the leader of the X-men and one of the best characters has never been done justice just pushed aside anyway I could go on but it's my opinion looking forward to the MCU version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

pjohnson wrote: »
    I highly doubt Disney would have OK'd Deadpool or Logan.
    Maybe not at the time, but now that they've been done, and made money, things may change in the future. Disney may keep around one of the Fox production companies in order to make non-family friendly movies, including some from the Marvel camp, or create a new brand one for more adult orientated content like the comics have done (e.g. MAX). I wouldn't expect R rated MCU films, but the likes of Deadpool could be kept out of the MCU, as well as other one-shot stories that don't use the main MCU characters. Even if they want to keep everything part of the MCU, they could do it along the lines of the Netflix series, technically there, but have no impact on the universe as a whole...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The movies biggest failing will be the fact that the unremarkable Sophie Turner will be the focus. She was incredibly bland in Apocalypse and I don't think she is good enough to carry a blockbuster like this.

I have no idea what's going on in this thing any more.

Is there an actual way to watch these X Men films, other than chronological release order?

The first three were pretty good. I've yet to see 'Logan', although a few scenes has me interested. Saw one of the ones set in the 60's, but hadn't a clue where that fits in.

Confused as fuck with the whole show at this stage. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is the fourth film in the partially-rebooted X-Men series; you got

X-Men: First Class (that's the one set in the 60s)
    X-Men: Days of Future Past (set in the 70s, arguably one of the best X-Men film since X2, and kinda resets the timeline)
    X-Men: Apocalypse (set in the 80s and a bit rubbish TBH)
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix

'Logan' I think is just set in its own pocket world, as an intentional, nihilist burning down of the Jackman / Stewart timeline. It's technically a great movie, but not one to watch if you're feeling a little depressed - or indeed hold any great fondness for the 90s X-Men movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Tony EH wrote: »
    I have no idea what's going on in this thing any more.

Is there an actual way to watch these X Men films, other than chronological release order?

The first three were pretty good. I've yet to see 'Logan', although a few scenes has me interested. Saw one of the ones set in the 60's, but hadn't a clue where that fits in.

Confused as fuck with the whole show at this stage. :confused:

After the first 3 you are based just to watch them in release order with the mindset that each film is just standalone. Continuity between the films is really none existent

Release date pushed back to the summer again a day after the trailer went out with Feb 14th all over it, they really don't know what there at with these films , they just can them at this stage with the impending takeover

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/10/01/dark-phoenix-flaming-sophie-turners-x-men-movie-could-trouble/

Test screening reactions were extremely negative, with anonymous posters on Reddit lining up to let rip. One poster acknowledges "things could still get tweaked here and there. But I do believe some things won’t change. What can’t change is the movie being really underwhelming. Really lower your expectations because this one is not good....[t]hey repeat moments from X3 I kid you not."

Reshoots were done in August and September 2018; pickup shots are routine for blockbuster films, but two months of reshoots tend to raise eyebrows.

Then there is the issue of Dark Phoenix’s even changing release date. The film was originally slated to be released on November 2, 2018. Then it then moved to February 14, 2019. And then after the tepid-to-negative reception of its first trailer, it was moved for the third time to June 7, 2018.

Oh dear. This is going to be awful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/10/01/dark-phoenix-flaming-sophie-turners-x-men-movie-could-trouble/

Test screening reactions were extremely negative, with anonymous posters on Reddit lining up to let rip. One poster acknowledges "things could still get tweaked here and there. But I do believe some things won’t change. What can’t change is the movie being really underwhelming. Really lower your expectations because this one is not good....[t]hey repeat moments from X3 I kid you not."

Reshoots were done in August and September 2018; pickup shots are routine for blockbuster films, but two months of reshoots tend to raise eyebrows.

Then there is the issue of Dark Phoenix’s even changing release date. The film was originally slated to be released on November 2, 2018. Then it then moved to February 14, 2019. And then after the tepid-to-negative reception of its first trailer, it was moved for the third time to June 7, 2018.

Oh dear. This is going to be awful.

Fox running the franchise into the ground, hand it over to Marvel and go it's your problem now.

You always had to assume that would be the case with Simon Kinberg directing. He's been a great producer but you can't assume someone can make that transition.

Giving Kinberg the directors chair was a foolhardy decision, especially after Apocalypse getting a bit of a lukewarm reception; and while it could have gone either way, if those stories are true we're looking at another The Mummy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Fox either produced hits or duds, there has been no middling ground with them.

Wolverine Orgins - massive dud
    Logan - hit
    Fantastic 4 - dud
    Deadpool - hit
    Days of future past - hit
    X3 - Dud

I think it's a pity their stuff is reverting to marvel because they have tried something different with a lot of their stuff and studio interference has only ruined roughly half of them. Fantastic 4 would have been interesting if it was left to its own devices and their TV stuff has been good.

Dark Phoenix will be the only story that they produce two duds with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Fox either produced hits or duds, there has been no middling ground with them.

Wolverine Orgins - massive dud
    Logan - hit
    Fantastic 4 - dud
    Deadpool - hit
    Days of future past - hit
    X3 - Dud

I think it's a pity their stuff is reverting to marvel because they have tried something different with a lot of their stuff and studio interference has only ruined roughly half of them. Fantastic 4 would have been interesting if it was left to its own devices and their TV stuff has been good.

Dark Phoenix will be the only story that they produce two duds with.

Don’t really see the pity. Fox were pretty much dragged kicking and screaming into doing Deadpool and that led into them to milk the R rating dollars with Logan. New Mutants, if it ever sees the light of day, maybe another one but that again it looks like a forced hand due to what a mess they’ve made of the X-men and Fantastic Four.

Getting an odd one-off movie that might be ‘different’ is not worth the complete waste of two pillar teams of Marvel properties.

Advertisement