Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Remember this one from circa late 80's? A yuppie-ish guy in a suit sitting in a car addressing the camera in an exasperated tone "don't talk to me about cyclists, they think they own the road". He went on like that for a bit then it switched to a cyclist saying pretty much the same thing about motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

chakotha wrote: »
    The one about car seat belts and there this bad tempered middle aged guy in the front seat of a car straining and bursting trying to reach the seat belt (old fashioned ones) that's right in under his seat.

My old man used to break his hole laughing at it.

Anyone ever find this one ? Been looking for years

Yes, very well. Haven't seen it since it was originally shown circa late 70's . Very few Irish PIF's from that period are online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yes, very well. Haven't seen it since it was originally shown circa late 70's . Very few Irish PIF's from that period are online.

The man's name was Tim and he was buying a new car (a Fiat Mirafiori)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Believe it or not you had to pay extra for seat belts in those days, even though it was illegal to sell a new car without them.

The idea of the ad was that people wouldn't cheap out and get the crappy old fashioned fixed belts to save a few quid, but get inertia reel belts which are a lot more convenient and would be more likely to actually be worn.

Most people didn't wear seat belts then!

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Back then, some people had the attitude "only sissies wear seatbelts"

I played a lot of hurling in primary school (early 80s). Helmets weren't compulsory then but people who chose to wear them got hit with the same taunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Jimmy Savile's "Clunk Click Every Trip"

https://youtu.be/ddNr7rebaQo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are you thinking of the Green Cross Code guy?
    Did you know ?

David Prowse who played Darth Vader got a nice slice of the profits off a Star Wars film.

Return of the Jedi has grossed over $572m and only cost $32m to make so his share amounts to ... Sweet FA because Hollywood F**king Accounting :mad:

David was Green Cross Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jimmy Savile's "Clunk Click Every Trip"

https://youtu.be/ddNr7rebaQo

He was made a Papal Knight so couldn't possibly have done anything bad... :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Nope. I can remember a cartoon strip with some kids who found a fallen wire and Safety Man appeared in the nick of time.

Don't think there were ever animations / videos with Safety Man.

These were on the back of school copy books if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

towger wrote: »
    These were on the back of school copy books if I remember correctly.

Was this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Anyone remember one from the 70s. A man gets out of bed. Eats a fry, lashes on the brown sauce. Puts on his bowler hat. Goes out to get the bus walking briskly with a brolly and I think he gets a heart attack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Where's granddad?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Where's granddad?

Shame it's not 4:3

and also see this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

UK - Green Cross Code was three words long, Stop Look Listen

Ireland - Safe Cross Code

Know the code !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Shame it's not 4:3

and also see this

God I remember that ad so well.

UK - Green Cross Code was three words long, Stop Look Listen

This DVD is well worth a purchase - Stop! Look! Listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

Remember this one from circa late 80's? A yuppie-ish guy in a suit sitting in a car addressing the camera in an exasperated tone "don't talk to me about cyclists, they think they own the road". He went on like that for a bit then it switched to a cyclist saying pretty much the same thing about motorists.

I've been looking for this too. Pretty sure the actor was the Drogheda dragon and presidential hopeful Gavin Duffy. Haven't been able to find it online yet.
    Could have been the inspiration for Damo & Ivor from what I remember of the characters.

• Advertisement

Probably not so much a safety ad but remember that one that showed a shopping trolley with loads of glass bottles and food etc being dropped into it from a height? I think it was about buying Irish products, it had one of those solemn voiceovers that you tend to associate with PIF's and the final shot was a great big fecking matress falling onto the trolley before the ad ended in a freeze frame.

Thats on here, starts at 2.48.

Been looking for this for ages.

There's a road safety ad here that's been mentioned a few times I think. At the 1.23 minute mark. Also a sinister PIF type ad for Nicobrevin anti smoking capsules later in.

Here's the road safety ad from above link, its been uploaded seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Here's the road safety ad from above link, its been uploaded seperately.

Thanks!!
    I did mention this very ad on either this thread or another one.

I remember as well that a few years later this ad was re-done, same ad but the talking voiceover was replaced by sombre music accompanied by a female voice singing which sounded more like keening.

"The boy you hit is dead...dead....dead"

That one starts here at 2.44.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Thats on here, starts at 2.48.

Sounds like Donal McCann doing the voiceover for that Guaranteed Irish ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

https://youtu.be/SXGqwCbeFD8?t=154

Railway lines..

Graphic ending!

• Advertisement

Public information adverts aren't what they used to be. I like this recent one though on farm dangers. It captures the spirit of some of the classic ones from the 80's.

Advertisement