Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

vektarman wrote: »
    I never knew Brendan Grace sang this until it was mentioned on the news last week after his death. As an regular reader of this thread and forum, fan of Reeling in the Years and someone who knows the advert and jingle well I can't believe that fact had alluded me all these years. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Posy wrote: »
    I never knew Brendan Grace sang this until it was mentioned on the news last week after his death. As an regular reader of this thread and forum, fan of Reeling in the Years and someone who knows the advert and jingle well I can't believe that fact had alluded me all these years. :o

I only became aware that it was him a couple of years ago through comments on the YT video. I remember it well from from back in the day, think it must have been shown up to circa 1980, first shown 74/75. I never made the connection.

Reeling in the years 1970 was on yesterday on RTE1 and there was an old tv license advert on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Posy wrote: »

For bonus points - which current Councillor and former TD also appears in the Safe Cross Code advert?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

For bonus points - which current Councillor and former TD also appears in the Safe Cross Code advert?

Chris Andrews. His sister Niamh was the girl with him.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else think a lot of recent PSA's, at least the Irish ones are starting to lose their edge and become more and more like regular adverts, almost to the point where the message is being lost? The awful anti smoking ones with people singing I Will Survive make me switch off, a recent road safety one that comes across like a coffee advert (about driving late at night on the motorway). The Gas Network one with Daniel O Donnell about registered gas installers is another one, I presume its aimed mainly at the elderly but I think the whole message is kind of overshadowed by the jokey tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Does anyone else think a lot of recent PSA's, at least the Irish ones are starting to lose their edge and become more and more like regular adverts, almost to the point where the message is being lost? The awful anti smoking ones with people singing I Will Survive make me switch off, a recent road safety one that comes across like a coffee advert (about driving late at night on the motorway). The Gas Network one with Daniel O Donnell about registered gas installers is another one, I presume its aimed mainly at the elderly but I think the whole message is kind of overshadowed by the jokey tone.

PSAs are definitely not what they used to be, and I think that's largely down to the PC brigade and all the snowflakes and bleeding hearts who were "offended" by the more hard hitting ones.

Just one other example is fire safety ads.
    Back in the 80s we had the spine-tingling but brilliant ads "GET OUT.GET THE FIRE BRIGADE OUT.AND STAY OUT".
    But now,we have the tame, ineffective "Together,we can stop fire" campaign which reminds me more of a game you'd play in primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

PSAs are definitely not what they used to be, and I think that's largely down to the PC brigade and all the snowflakes and bleeding hearts who were "offended" by the more hard hitting ones.

Just one other example is fire safety ads.
    Back in the 80s we had the spine-tingling but brilliant ads "GET OUT.GET THE FIRE BRIGADE OUT.AND STAY OUT".
    But now,we have the tame, ineffective "Together,we can stop fire" campaign which reminds me more of a game you'd play in primary school.
    Is this advert and the one about the toddler killed by the drunk driver not hard hitting enough for you?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ten-complaints-received-over-crashed-lives-tv-advert-rsa-says-1.3755313

Maybe the reason for the absence of spine-tingling ads about fires is that there really isn't an education issue about 'getting out' that needs to be addressed now?

Is this advert and the one about the toddler killed by the drunk driver not hard hitting enough for you?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ten-complaints-received-over-crashed-lives-tv-advert-rsa-says-1.3755313
    The more hard-hitting the ads are,the more attention people will pay to them,and they will take them a lot more seriously.
    That's the point I'm trying to make.

Maybe the reason for the absence of spine-tingling ads about fires is that there really isn't an education issue about 'getting out' that needs to be addressed now?

The more hard-hitting the ads are, the more attention people will pay to them,and they'll take them a lot more seriously.
    That's the point I'm trying to make.

Don't know if this was already posted here but this is pretty much a want list of mostly missing classic Irish PSA's from the late 70's/early 80's. The author is listing them from memory so made a couple of mistakes. No 6 "put it this way" was actually a British pif. I've a funny feeling No 5. EDITH might have been UK too? Out of the others I can remember all of them and since this was written in 2007 only number 3 on the list "John did ya put the cat out?" has surfaced online. The Safe Cross Code one mentioned here is a different one to the more famous version which is online.

http://crookedtimber.org/2007/01/25/toward-a-catalog-of-irish-public-service-ads/?fbclid=IwAR2GAxAFdPw5gJHY1dElyAgwkxoUu51gOy7Sh5TkdBEjRFKrQX_l94Cim5w

• Advertisement

Don't know if this was already posted here but this is pretty much a want list of mostly missing classic Irish PSA's from the late 70's/early 80's. The author is listing them from memory so made a couple of mistakes. No 6 "put it this way" was actually a British pif. I've a funny feeling No 5. EDITH might have been UK too? Out of the others I can remember all of them and since this was written in 2007 only number 3 on the list "John did ya put the cat out?" has surfaced online.

http://crookedtimber.org/2007/01/25/toward-a-catalog-of-irish-public-service-ads/?fbclid=IwAR2GAxAFdPw5gJHY1dElyAgwkxoUu51gOy7Sh5TkdBEjRFKrQX_l94Cim5w

Numbers 9 and 10 are definitely elusive,to the point where we'll never see them again.
    I really wish RTE had kept these.

Another one which I have mentioned many times is one where two farmers are having a heated argument in a field about moving cattle and the spread of TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Numbers 9 and 10 are definitely elusive,to the point where we'll never see them again.

Another one which I have mentioned many times is one where two farmers are having a heated argument in a field about moving cattle and the spread of TB.

"Ah, mind yer own business! "
    "T'is my business! TB spreadin to my land IS my business!"
    That one?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    That one?

Yessss!!!!

"Arragh I don't give a damn......"
    "Beware the farmer who doesn't give a damn.Know him for what he is!!"

Yessss!!!!

"Arragh I don't give a damn......"
    "Beware the farmer who doesn't give a damn.Know him for what he is!!"

Was that the one where at the end they angrily turn away from each other and then there's a freeze frame?

Was that the one where at the end they angrily turn away from each other and then there's a freeze frame?

Spot on.
    I think it's the younger farmer who says "I don't give a damn" and turns away and at that there's a freeze frame while the warning closing lines are delivered.

Don't know if this was already posted here but this is pretty much a want list of mostly missing classic Irish PSA's from the late 70's/early 80's. The author is listing them from memory so made a couple of mistakes. No 6 "put it this way" was actually a British pif. I've a funny feeling No 5. EDITH might have been UK too? Out of the others I can remember all of them and since this was written in 2007 only number 3 on the list "John did ya put the cat out?" has surfaced online. The Safe Cross Code one mentioned here is a different one to the more famous version which is online.

By the way no 12. Fit enough to catch that bus. Was that the same one that had Don Cockburn, or some another well known newsreader cycling a bike and featured the track Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre?

By the way no 12. Fit enough to catch that bus. Was that the same one that had Don Cockburn, or some another well known newsreader cycling a bike and featured the track Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre?

My head's all over the place with that one ....
    I vaguely remember the end of that one where the overweight girl is trying to run to catch the bus, I thought it was Jimmy Greeley doing the narrating

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

4. Pretty sure EDITH was Irish.

7. Think it was putting bullets into a revolver and spinning it, Russian Roulette-style.

9. The mammy figure said "I.S. 148. Sounds like a robot, doesn't it?" This was the Irish standard for fireproof nighties, apparently. Think she was the wife in "John, did you put the cat out?" (Cat was the only thing not on fire in that ad! :pac: )

11. He was called Micheal Angelo. (As in Micheal Martin, no fada soz) Dang, one of the commenters beat me to it

12. "'Noel Carroll can run 800 meters in …' some time or other." Yeah but he's long dead now and I stand a very good chance of outliving him, even though I'm a lazy git :D

Anyone remember the one with the big black Merc (probably Charlie Haughey :pac: ) trying to turn right off the Long Mile Road while in the straight ahead lane? "Now he's banjaxed... TWO lanes of traffic."

Or the one about seat belts - you had to have them, but they were still an optional extra?!? so the ad was about not cheaping out on them. Cue fat guy in a Fiat 131 Mirafiori strugging to put on an old style non-reel belt which wouldn't go near him. Inertia reel belts that actually allowed you to move, reach the radio (if you had one!) etc were dearer. Of course lots of people still didn't wear them at all so you can see why they wouldn't spend the extra few quid.

"Tyres. FIVE of the best friends you'll ever have" (just after some git in a Vauxhall, I think, has carelessly driven over a half-brick and a broken bottle). Remember asking my dad why they said (and emphasised) the word five.

The guy saying in the comments that these are lost due to expense of video tape is wrong, these were all made on film (had lots of visible scratches etc. too.) IFI digitally released recently loads of prints they got from advertising agencies and restored, doesn't seem to include any PSAs though :( but there has to be prints of these around somewhere.

Life ain't always empty.

4. Pretty sure EDITH was Irish.

7. Think it was putting bullets into a revolver and spinning it, Russian Roulette-style.

9. The mammy figure said "I.S. 148. Sounds like a robot, doesn't it?" This was the Irish standard for fireproof nighties, apparently. Think she was the wife in "John, did you put the cat out?" (Cat was the only thing not on fire in that ad! :pac: )

11. He was called Micheal Angelo. (As in Micheal Martin, no fada soz) Dang, one of the commenters beat me to it

12. "'Noel Carroll can run 800 meters in …' some time or other." Yeah but he's long dead now and I stand a very good chance of outliving him, even though I'm a lazy git :D

Anyone remember the one with the big black Merc (probably Charlie Haughey :pac: ) trying to turn right off the Long Mile Road while in the straight ahead lane? "Now he's banjaxed... TWO lanes of traffic."

Or the one about seat belts - you had to have them, but they were still an optional extra?!? so the ad was about not cheaping out on them. Cue fat guy in a Fiat 131 Mirafiori strugging to put on an old style non-reel belt which wouldn't go near him. Inertia reel belts that actually allowed you to move, reach the radio (if you had one!) etc were dearer. Of course lots of people still didn't wear them at all so you can see why they wouldn't spend the extra few quid.

"Tyres. FIVE of the best friends you'll ever have" (just after some git in a Vauxhall, I think, has carelessly driven over a half-brick and a broken bottle). Remember asking my dad why they said (and emphasised) the word five.

The guy saying in the comments that these are lost due to expense of video tape is wrong, these were all made on film (had lots of visible scratches etc. too.) IFI digitally released recently loads of prints they got from advertising agencies and restored, doesn't seem to include any PSAs though :( but there has to be prints of these around somewhere.

7. Was a shotgun. I have a vivid image of scenes of a double barreled shotgun being loaded by someone whose face we don't see and this is juxtaposed with images of pints or whiskey glasses (being poured maybe?). You see the shotgun being fired and then a drivers POV shot of a pedestrian being run over. Finally you see the shotgun sliding down a bar counter and knocking over drinks and bottles.

Lol, I remember the one with the fat cranky guy trying to get the seatbelt on.

There were a small number of PIF's in those ads the IFI released. One anti litter one "Feed a bin" and one about conserving water with an image of a goldfish in a tank where the water is seeping away plus a couple more. No real classic ones though.

The little girl in 9 was called Eimear and she had the same nightie as me ! Always felt sorry for her the way her mother ripped through her hair with the hairbrush. Also, Eimear never said anything word.

• Advertisement

The little girl in 9 was called Eimear and she had the same nightie as me ! Always felt sorry for her the way her mother ripped through her hair with the hairbrush. Also, Eimear never said anything word.

The mother in it terrified me. There was this air of menace to everything she said and did, even at the end when she turned to the camera with this weird smile and said "kids, wouldn't ya die if anything happened to them?"

The mother in it terrified me. There was this air of menace to everything she said and did, even at the end when she turned to the camera with this weird smile and said "kids, wouldn't ya die if anything happened to them?"

Yeah! Sounded like a veiled threat. No wonder poor Eimaer was so quiet!

That one?

I've just remembered another line from that ad:
    "I don't want reactors."

ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

I've just remembered another line from that ad:
    "I don't want reactors."

ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

It's the Cavan accents that stick out in my memory : 'Teah Beah/ rayactohrs' ( Sorry Cavan people, it's a hard accent to spell phonetically )

10 out of 10 for anyone who remembers this.
    An ad warning kids not to accept lifts from strangers, but this particular ad had puppets in it something like Punch and Judy????

10 out of 10 for anyone who remembers this.
    An ad warning kids not to accept lifts from strangers, but this particular ad had puppets in it something like Punch and Judy????

Doesn't ring a bell. Was it Irish or British?

Doesn't ring a bell. Was it Irish or British?

I really can't remember........
    We were able to get UTV and BBC back then as well as RTÉ because we had another old aerial which we found dumped in a field (reception wasn't great though),so it could've been from either channel.

I really can't remember........
    We were able to get UTV and BBC back then as well as RTÉ because we had another old aerial which we found dumped in a field (reception wasn't great though),so it could've been from either channel.

Early childhood spent in England and was here from 9 up and I have absolutely zero recollection of that. I remember the English PSB ads very well (had an irrational fear of fridges from the one that ended with the kid trapped in the dumped fridge) . I remember the Charlie Says never talk to strangers cartoon but nothing featuring a Punch and Judy show.

Now, a film was shown to us at school in England warning us not to talk to or go away with strangers which didn't pull any punches, followed by a talk from a PC which actually saved me from being coaxed into a car a few weeks later and for which I shall be eternally grateful, but that film didn't feature a Punch and Judy show. Could it have been something played to you in school? Although I don't recall anything of that nature being discussed in school here in the early 80s.

Early childhood spent in England and was here from 9 up and I have absolutely zero recollection of that. I remember the English PSB ads very well (had an irrational fear of fridges from the one that ended with the kid trapped in the dumped fridge) . I remember the Charlie Says never talk to strangers cartoon but nothing featuring a Punch and Judy show.

Now, a film was shown to us at school in England warning us not to talk to or go away with strangers which didn't pull any punches, followed by a talk from a PC which actually saved me from being coaxed into a car a few weeks later and for which I shall be eternally grateful, but that film didn't feature a Punch and Judy show. Could it have been something played to you in school? Although I don't recall anything of that nature being discussed in school here in the early 80s.

The only parts I remember are a puppet in the shape of a car with scary sharp teeth arriving and saying to one of the puppets "Would you like to get in my car?Your mother and father sent me" and then the puppet flies into a panic and starts beating him with something and shouts "You naughty naughty man,I don't believe you! Take that! And that! And that!"

Ye must think I'm going mad........

• Advertisement

The only parts I remember are a puppet in the shape of a car with scary sharp teeth arriving and saying to one of the puppets "Would you like to get in my car?Your mother and father sent me" and then the puppet flies into a panic and starts beating him with something and shouts "You naughty naughty man,I don't believe you! Take that! And that! And that!"

Ye must think I'm going mad........

Could it have been a segment ofor a TV show? Sometimes things got under the radar that way,

Advertisement