Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

knick knack & stinkbombs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The half-crown was gone long before the EEC. Decimalisation was introduced in 1971. EEC referendum was in '72 and join date was 1 Jan 1973. The 1970s was a time of massive inflation mostly caused by the oil embargo after the Yom Kippur war of 1973. Just because we joined the EEC around the time of these events doesn't meant they were caused by the EEC.

The loss of the half crown was a disaster for me and all kids of that era.
    The half crown was the standard "gift" from relatives, neighbors and family at communions, confirmations, birthdays etc. When it was withdrawn it was replaced by the two shilling piece (10p) as the standard which equated to a 20% cut:mad:
    Still a bit traumatized.

PS you may have taken my original post a bit too seriously, was meant tongue in cheek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

dieselbug wrote: »
    The loss of the half crown was a disaster for me and all kids of that era.
    The half crown was the standard "gift" from relatives, neighbors and family at communions, confirmations, birthdays etc. When it was withdrawn it was replaced by the two shilling piece (10p) as the standard which equated to a 20% cut:mad:
    Still a bit traumatized.

PS you may have taken my original post a bit too seriously, was meant tongue in cheek:)

and none of that was anything to do with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Carry On films went into decline in the last few years of the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I remember meeting my north side girlfriend in the city center on a Sunday night. It would be a ghost town nearly by 9PM. This was probably around 1990. It's one of the big changes I notice is that the city is always open now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People were snooker loopy.

Pubs had pool tables and lounge bars covered in carpet and Formica.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

When buying a few slices of ham, even in high summer, it came from the joint which spent all day (or week) on the slicer at the mercy of the heat and flies in the shop, never in the refrigerated section. No wonder we used to get the gallops.:(
    And gur cake! Similar to a fruit cake, but consisting of a couple of slices of thin pastry with a fruity filling. Very heavy on the stomach, but nice. Rumour has it that it consisted of the floor sweepings of the bakery in the evenings, all the dropped pieces of raisins and sultanas and other bits and pieces, probably mouse droppings, fag ash and insects too.:eek:
    We were a mad crowd in the 70s then. We'd go mackerel fishing in Skerries, Co. Dublin and catch loads, big ones too. Whenever a trawler would come in to the harbour, we'd shout "Did yiz catch any fish?" They'd reply "Yeah, we caught loads!" to which we'd reply, with great wit, "Well ye know where yiz can stick them!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

Simon Bates appearing at the beginning of every rental video, explaining the BBFC certification of the film you were about to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Findus Crispy Pancakes!

ike wrote: »
    Findus Crispy Pancakes!

my absolute favourite food as a kid. I would have happily lived on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

topper75 wrote: »
    If you did get that job, then a house would follow. The mortgage deposit % wasn't as rigourous something like 10%. Yes the monthly repayments would be rough. But it was at least ATTAINABLE. Big difference to today.
    Mortgage three times your salary. Mortgage interest rate 17%.
    Mortgage interest about 51% of your gross salary.
    And pay back a bit of the mortgage loan along with the mortgage interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

phone-booth-clipart-old-school-714115-8460681.jpg

16573-pacman%20first%20game.jpg

space-invaders-05.png

michael-jackson-300.jpg

latest?cb=20110928142358
    Minitel.

No Usenet? Usenet (aka newsgroups, basically thousands of self contained forums each dedicated to a particular topic) used to be great. Had (read-only) access to it in college in late 80s-early 90s, but it was still going strong in the late 90s when I got dial-up internet at home. It's still around, just about.

To download an image from usenet would take bones of 15/20 minutes as the attachment came in multiple pieces that would be downloaded separately and spliced together before being uudecoded to get a gif.

And because it was all text based the ultimate image would be a surprise because you had no idea what it looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Crispy pancakes reminds me -

Galtee Ham and Cheese Escalopes

Loved them and then they just disappeared.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Findus Crispy Pancakes!

They were complete muck but addictive and tasty. You can still get them in cheese and mushroom.

Pizza in the 80s were desparate rubbish compared to the range you can get today. Chinese and Indian cuisine was exotic and exciting back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

my absolute favourite food as a kid. I would have happily lived on them.

Loved the steak and kidney flavour, didn't like the smoked bacon and chicken ones because the bacon gave me wind, causing the most horrific belching attacks!:o

Count Down wrote: »
    Loved the steak and kidney flavour, didn't like the smoked bacon and chicken ones because the bacon gave me wind, causing the most horrific belching attacks!:o

Nooooooooooo, the chicken ones were the best. I might buy some at the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Super Ser heaters that would use up all the oxygen in the room, dry your eyeballs out so much they would sting, resulting in you having to open the door or window and 'let all the heat out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Findus Crispy Pancakes!

In the 80s we got a deep fat fryer. My parents went out one night and I invited the girlfriend over for a romantic meal.:D I put some Crispy Pancakes into the fryer for a few minutes. I wasn't sure if they were cooked properly. The girlfriend suggested I poke a knife in to see if they were done, so I did. The insides of the pancakes came shooting out out all over us. Clothes and partial skin damage from seriously hot gravy type stuff.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You must have been some innocent if you had a free gaff and food was what was on your mind!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Findus Crispy Pancakes!

'Success on a plate' I think was their motto.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You must have been some innocent if you had a free gaff and food was what was on your mind!

I was 14 and had lots on my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Does anyone remember these Angel Delight desserts, my favourites were the butter scotch and lime flavours.

10739011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=ad9a66c1b37d65626b8c25bffd5c90ee

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Deirdre Barlow-type glasses and if your glasses broke out came the tape :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Nooooooooooo, the chicken ones were the best. I might buy some at the weekend.

Don't. I did that a couple of years back. They've obviously taken out all the dangerous additives that made 'em taste so good, because they're rank now.
    Which reminds me of the "E numbers" scare and me mam with clipping from the paper stuck to the fridge so she could tell what was in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Don't. I did that a couple of years back. They've obviously taken out all the dangerous additives that made 'em taste so good, because they're rank now.
    Which reminds me of the "E numbers" scare and me mam with clipping from the paper stuck to the fridge so she could tell what was in everything.

I bought Sugar Puffs recently (which are now called Honey Puffs), not half as nice as they used to be either. Must have half the sugar removed.

but the dangerous additives were the best bit!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In the 80s we got a deep fat fryer. My parents went out one night and I invited the girlfriend over for a romantic meal.:D I put some Crispy Pancakes into the fryer for a few minutes. I wasn't sure if they were cooked properly. The girlfriend suggested I poke a knife in to see if they were done, so I did. The insides of the pancakes came shooting out out all over us. Clothes and partial skin damage from seriously hot gravy type stuff.:eek:
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    I was 14 and had lots on my mind!

Ahh the innocence of the 80s.

If it was nowadays, from what I hear, a fair few 14 year old girlfriends would be asking you to poke something bar a crispy pancake.

Have to say you were fierce advanced all the same, organising romantic meals for a girlfriend at 14. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

BBFAN wrote: »
    I bought Sugar Puffs recently (which are now called Honey Puffs), not half as nice as they used to be either. Must have half the sugar removed.

"Where's the bloody honey, mummy?"

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Does anyone remember these Angel Delight desserts, my favourites were the butter scotch and lime flavours.

I remember us scourging our mother until she finally relented and bought it. We thought it would be like her blancmange, only nicer. The day came when we finally got to taste it, looked at each other and went "This isn't very nice..."

And when I tried to drop the cherry on it like in the ad, the bloody thing fell off.

Advertisement