Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social contradiction on how we treat animals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

JeffKenna wrote:
    Do you also feel as strongly about cruelty free clothing? I presume you don't purchase anything from primark, Nike etc considering the quality of life of animals in Ireland is far superior to that of the 6 year old child making those clothes.

Brilliantly put.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Do you also feel as strongly about cruelty free clothing?

Defo. As in all things, 'do no harm' or, in this skewed economic system, as little as possible, given the choice. Most of my clothes are from second-hand shops, f'r instance.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Do you also feel as strongly about cruelty free clothing? I presume you don't purchase anything from primark, Nike etc considering the quality of life of animals in Ireland is far superior to that of the 6 year old child making those clothes.

You presume eh ?

Maybe you should set up a thread comparing the quality of life of animals in Ireland and of a 6 year old child making clothes.

You could then discuss that with like minded people of which there are at least 4.

Pretty weird way of thinking but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭emaherx

You presume eh ?

Maybe you should set up a thread comparing the quality of life of animals in Ireland and of a 6 year old child making clothes.

You could then discuss that with like minded people of which there are at least 4.

To be honest this thread has made little sense from the start. The OP suggests that people would waste time, money and resources to save a dog just because it's a dog and that we wouldn't do the same for other animals. This is completely untrue, plenty of evidence people have and will do the same for livestock, pets and wild animals a like. As for the video of a complete nutjob runnig down ostriches I don't see what that issue had in connection with this particular thread.

emaherx wrote: »
    To be honest this thread has made little sense from the start. The OP suggests that people would waste time, money and resources to save a dog just because it's a dog and that we wouldn't do the same for other animals. This is completely untrue, plenty of evidence people have and will do the same for livestock, pets and wild animals a like. As for the video of a complete nutjob runnig down ostriches I don't see what that issue had in connection with this particular thread.

Yeah. You’re not understanding the thread.

Most carnists will struggle but the penny will drop for some.

• Advertisement

No, because it makes no sense.
    Vegans beat this drum to death.

We don't eat dog because the meat is no good.
    We don't keep cows as pets because they are too hard to house train and not great at show jumping either.
    Horse is widely eaten; but in Ireland mostly they are kept for recreational use, show jumping, racing etc and most don't enter the food chain as they have received bute.

There is no penny to drop, where is the social contradiction? If we don't eat dog just because they have some special status, then why don't we eat fox or badger or rat for that matter. People choose animals for livestock or pets based on their traits. Cows make good livestock but poor pets, dogs make good pets but poor live stock, and horses fit both categories quite well and are used as such.

On the whole dog thing which comes up again and again, if we kept doogs as live stock, we would also need to keep other livestock to feed the dogs which makes farming them impractical, not to mention the increased disease risk associated with eating carnivores.

Makes perfect sense to me.

No drum being beaten here.

If you don’t understand or if it upsets you then simply unfollow and try to find something you enjoy.

Makes perfect sense to me.

No drum being beaten here.

If you don’t understand or if it upsets you then simply unfollow and try to find something you enjoy.

Ah yes the old don't debate things on public forums response.

emaherx wrote: »
    Ah yes the old don't debate things on public forums response.

No idea what you’re talking about now.

There’s no conspiracy here against you.

You said yourself you don’t understand.

I was just encouraging you not to waste your own time but feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Speaking to an echo chamber like you’re suggesting leads to nothing only too much confidence in the ideas and concepts discussed.

It sometimes leads to conspiracy theories or religions/cults.

• Advertisement

No idea what you’re talking about now.

There’s no conspiracy here against you.

You said yourself you don’t understand.

I was just encouraging you not to waste your own time but feel free.

Well responses like that to a debate you started only take from the validity of your argument.

I only put forward some valid reasons as to why there is no social contradiction on how we treat animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is there any need to use (vegan derived) derogatory language for those who eat a normal mixed diet of both plant and animal products in a discusion - other than to insult and cause offence? If anyone else here used made up and derisive descriptives about vegans I'm sure they would rightly get a royal bollocking from the powers that be.

gozunda wrote: »
    Is there any need to use (vegan derived) derogatory language for those who eat a normal mixed diet of both plant and animal products in a discusion - other than to insult and cause offence? If anyone else here used made up and derisive descriptives about vegans I'm sure they would get rightly get a royal bollocking from the powers that be.

It's quite interesting alright a name for an ideology based on eating animals but created by a vegan based on her beliefs? It fits in with the title of this thread but since it is actually a fictional ideology (because no one actually claims to follow it) you are right that would lead to a proper telling off in any other situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You presume eh ?

You completely ignored my point and just deflected away from it. Do you purchase clothes from Primark, Nike etc? Or do you feel that to be morally OK?

Is carnist a real term? Or is it just a derogatory slur you like to use?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Is carnist a real term? Or is it just a derogatory slur you like to use?

Nope not real - it was completly made up by a vegan 'thinker" called Melanie Joy in a commercial book a number of years back who variously claims that:
    'carnism' (sic) is a violent ideology that enables humane people to participate in inhumane practices without realizing what they’re doing.

How the frack is that not piece of opinion not derogratory? The term itself is not in any real dictionaries such as Collins although you'll find any amount of online pushing of the phrase in various vegan websites as if it is an actual recognised word - It's not.

The most noticeable thing here - is that this madey up word is generally used to slander anyone whose diet varies from strict veganism and is nearly always used in context with passive - aggresive type language as in the example above.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LoL. So you attempt to mock those who eat meat to get people to follow your path?

the_syco wrote: »
    LoL. So you attempt to mock those who eat meat to get people to follow your path?

Think you’re a bit lost in the flow of the conversation.

You’d be better off reading all posts to help you understand my post before you inaccurately accuse me of something.

Unless your used to just making stuff up and running with whatever ?

Is carnist not a made up word?

You’d be better off reading all posts to help you understand my post before you inaccurately accuse me of something. Unless your used to just making stuff up and running with whatever ?

The poster is correct. Your comment was at best belittling and condescending. It's the general stench of sanctimony which comes across as overwhelming.

• Advertisement

You’d be better off reading all posts to help you understand my post before you inaccurately accuse me of something.

the flow of conversation is directed by its participants not just the instigator.

if the conversation is one sided it isn't a conversation...its more akin to preaching

A good explanation to why most carnists are acting without any real awareness or thought.

Would be good to see this taught in primary schools to allow children the chance to step back from current socials norms and make their own choices -

https://youtu.be/o0VrZPBskpg

A good explanation to why most carnists are acting without any real awareness or thought.

Carnist and carnism are these real words? You have been asked before and have refused to answer maybe you will good enough to answer now.

Would be good to see this taught in primary schools to allow children the chance to step back from current socials norms and make their own choices -

https://youtu.be/o0VrZPBskpg

Again Carnist = fictional ideology.
    We don't choose meat based on social exceptance of what is or not edibal, it's much simpler.

golden retriever is substandard meat, more likely to pose a disease risk and very inefficient to farm on a scale required for food production (what would we feed dogs bred on a large scale for meat?)

So not a social contradiction just very impractical.

61772456.jpg

It’s great that some of the input from the many farmers on this forum confirms, for your average member of the public, that farm animals are indeed very intelligent, social and have their own personalities.

This confirmation could help carnists to understand the impact of their choices and make a change so they can truly call themselves animal lovers.

Currently most carnists think they are animals lovers but the truth of their choices is they only love some animals.

It’s great that some of the input from the many farmers on this forum confirms, for your average member of the public, that farm animals are indeed very intelligent, social and have their own personalities.

This confirmation could help carnists to understand the impact of their choices and make a change so they can truly call themselves animal lovers.

Currently most carnists think they are animals lovers but the truth of their choices is they only love some animals.

What of all the insect life and rodents killed intentionally in order to protect the food of Vegans?

So what will do with the herds of animals who will no longer have a purpose? Have the vegetards ( if you are going to use a made up word to insult it's only fair that I can too) given this any thought?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So what will do with the herds of animals who will no longer have a purpose? Have the vegetards ( if you are going to use a made up word to insult it's only fair that I can too) given this any thought?

Are you ok ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Are you suggesting that vegans are animal lovers, unconditionally?
    Or are they only lovers of "cute" animals?
    That rat/mouse/whatever behind the press in the utility room would be welcomed with open arms by every vegan?
    I don't think so.
    Vegans are just as contradicted as anyone else, and the terminology they use about animals ("babies" etc ) show a level of disconnect with the reality of the animal kingdom.
    Little piglets are impossibly cute and funny, but when they grow up they'd just as merrily eat you or me, as the cereal based foodstuff we provide for them.
    A fresian bull calf is a dote at a couple of weeks old, at two years of age he'd grind you into the ground like hamburger if you met him on a day he was in bad humour.
    The Disneyfication of both wild and domestic animals seems to have caused a minority to lose much of their facilities and power of critical reasoning.

Advertisement