Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think pitcher wins are slightly more useful than saves. I think saves would be more meaningful if they changed it from 3 runs to 1 run. It's one thing pitching in the 9th with your team up 3 runs, quite another if it's just 1 run (which is really where Diaz has excelled this year).

Don't agree with pitcher wins being a relevant stat at all. The fact that a closer who blows a lead in the top of the 9th gets the W when his teams walks it off in the bottom of the inning, shows ridiculous the stat is.

And I'm not just saying this because of Jacob deGrom only has 8 wins despite being the best pitcher in baseball this season, but it makes no sense that a stat for the pitcher is dependant on the number of runs your team scores, a thing the pitcher has basically nothing to do with.

As for saves, I know Cleveland started doing this but bringing in your best reliever whenever the biggest threat is, makes much more sense than saving him for the 9th when the 7-9 hitters could be up. Remember the Orioles in the wild card game a few years back? They kept their best pitcher in reserve for when a 'save opportunity' came up but instead one of their lesser pitchers gave up the game while he sat on the bench.

But I'm not stupid, pitchers have clauses in their contract triggering bonuses etc. if they reach a set number of saves so most agents aren't going to be happy if all of a sudden, traditional closers are brought in to pitch in the 7th or 8th when the heart off the opposing line up is up, so it'll probably stay the way it is for some time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Diaz lost the game last night for the Mariners v. Padres. Wasn't a save opportunity however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Don't agree with pitcher wins being a relevant stat at all. The fact that a closer who blows a lead in the top of the 9th gets the W when his teams walks it off in the bottom of the inning, shows ridiculous the stat is.

And I'm not just saying this because of Jacob deGrom only has 8 wins despite being the best pitcher in baseball this season, but it makes no sense that a stat for the pitcher is dependant on the number of runs your team scores, a thing the pitcher has basically nothing to do with.

As for saves, I know Cleveland started doing this but bringing in your best reliever whenever the biggest threat is, makes much more sense than saving him for the 9th when the 7-9 hitters could be up. Remember the Orioles in the wild card game a few years back? They kept their best pitcher in reserve for when a 'save opportunity' came up but instead one of their lesser pitchers gave up the game while he sat on the bench.

But I'm not stupid, pitchers have clauses in their contract triggering bonuses etc. if they reach a set number of saves so most agents aren't going to be happy if all of a sudden, traditional closers are brought in to pitch in the 7th or 8th when the heart off the opposing line up is up, so it'll probably stay the way it is for some time yet.

Pitcher wins are just a counting stat. Its not really mentioned in the overall greatness of hall of famers either but they do tend to have pretty good records regardless.

De Grom is a prime example, he should win the Cy Young this year and he's been terrific despite like you said only "winning" 8 games. He's been lights out.

David Wright calling it quits after one last game this season. Great player in his prime when healthy, was worth the price of admission on his own.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/13/mets-great-david-wright-plans-to-retire-after-one-last-game/

Now, if Jose Reyes calls it quits as well, that'd be great too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

David Wright, a Mets legend. Tremendous player in his prime. Bar the induries I think he would have been a nialled on Hall of Famer

Las Vegas 51s will now be the AAA home of Oakland. And Houston are leaving Fresno too

So that leaves Nashville, Fresno and San Antonio up for grabs with the Astros, Brewers and the Nats looking for spots to land.

Dodgers took game 1 of a 3 game series from the Rockies. Need to at least win 2 from 3. Only .5 of a game ahead at the moment. A sweep would be sweet 8)

Dodgers took game 1 of a 3 game series from the Rockies. Need to at least win 2 from 3. Only .5 of a game ahead at the moment. A sweep would be sweet 8)

Big blow for the Rockies with Storey going down too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Diaz got to 56 saves last night so has 3rd overall now. He will probably get to 2nd over all (needs 58 for that) but 62 is looking very unlikely. Though he only needed 5 pitches to get the save last night.

Las Vegas 51s will now be the AAA home of Oakland. And Houston are leaving Fresno too

So that leaves Nashville, Fresno and San Antonio up for grabs with the Astros, Brewers and the Nats looking for spots to land.

Nats do deal with Fresno which isn't really a good situation at all. No direct flight to DC so players will have to fly to Chicago or Dallas when they are promoted.

Must have been the only deal they could get.

He did it last night again. Is Strasburg some sort of sorcerer?

Dodgers swept the Rockies, and now 2.5 games in front - their biggest lead of the season
    Also 0.5 games ahead of the Braves now for home field advantage in the NLDS

Dodgers swept the Rockies, and now 2.5 games in front - their biggest lead of the season
    Also 0.5 games ahead of the Braves now for home field advantage in the NLDS

Puig finding a bit of form at the right time too.

John Smotlz with an interesting idea to keep team interested. In theory it sounds alright but I'm sure there's some flaw to it.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/09/20/john-smoltz-mlb-changes-split-season/1357842002/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sox clinched the AL East at Yankee Stadium last night....my that's satisfying

104 Wins already with 9 to play.

That makes it 7 seasons in a row that the Red Sox have finished either first or last in the AL East!

Jeff Bannister sacked by the Rangers. I don't really keep up with what's going on in the ALW so don't know if he was doing that bad of a job but being in a division with the Astros, A's and Mariners this year couldn't have been fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

John Smotlz with an interesting idea to keep team interested. In theory it sounds alright but I'm sure there's some flaw to it.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/09/20/john-smoltz-mlb-changes-split-season/1357842002/

I don't think it needs to be changed that drastically. Making the regular season shorter and expanding the postseason to include more teams would shake things up. Look at NHL/MLS/NBA where over half the teams make it to the postseason. Unfortunately, baseball is too full of traditionalists and I doubt anything drastic will happening.

Dodgers cannot seem to pull away from the Rockies, or even the Cardinals

Dodgers have a road trip left against the D-Backs and Giants, where as Rockies (I think) are at home against the Phillies and Nats, and only 1.5 games behind
    Dodgers might need an almost perfect week to win the NL West

• Advertisement

Dodgers cannot seem to pull away from the Rockies, or even the Cardinals

Dodgers have a road trip left against the D-Backs and Giants, where as Rockies (I think) are at home against the Phillies and Nats, and only 1.5 games behind
    Dodgers might need an almost perfect week to win the NL West

D’Backs, Giants, Nats and Phillies all have nothing to play for so all might be mailing it in.

I don't think it needs to be changed that drastically. Making the regular season shorter and expanding the postseason to include more teams would shake things up. Look at NHL/MLS/NBA where over half the teams make it to the postseason. Unfortunately, baseball is too full of traditionalists and I doubt anything drastic will happening.

Let's either DH both leagues, or get rid of it. I hate the shift and would love to see it gone (though, how you implement that I don't know.)

And heck, make it more interesting by limiting the damned commercials. That'll speed things up. Plus more day games. And no west coast night games. Bring back doubleheaders, loved them when I was a kid, go to Shea, get tickets for $1.50 for two games, upper deck. Sneak down to the field level at some point, awesome.

One thing once suggested here, is relegation, so long-term awful teams either shape up or never have a playoff opportunity. That's probably too earthshaking, but wow would it change things. I think too much money involved to make that radical a change!

D’Backs, Giants, Nats and Phillies all have nothing to play for so all might be mailing it in.

Giants would love to stick it to the Dodgers.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Giants would love to stick it to the Dodgers.

Yeah that’s true.

Let's either DH both leagues, or get rid of it. I hate the shift and would love to see it gone (though, how you implement that I don't know.)
    !

Don’t agree with legislating against the shift at all. Hit the ball the other way or bunt down the third base line. They’ll stop shifting against you if you start doing that.

And with the DH, I’d prefer it to be the same in both leagues too and it will eventually be in both leagues I’d say but I much prefer pitchers hitting.

And heck, make it more interesting by limiting the damned commercials. That'll speed things up. Plus more day games. And no west coast night games. Bring back doubleheaders, loved them when I was a kid, go to Shea, get tickets for $1.50 for two games, upper deck.

Somehow I don't think an approach for less commercials and $1.50 tickets to 2 games is going to be a runner

And with the DH, I’d prefer it to be the same in both leagues too and it will eventually be in both leagues I’d say but I much prefer pitchers hitting.

Pitchers can hit in both leagues. DH is optional in the AL.

They could change the rules and NL teams can still play exactly as they do today.

8-10 wrote: »
    Pitchers can hit in both leagues. DH is optional in the AL.

They could change the rules and NL teams can still play exactly as they do today.

Wouldn’t happen though.

Wouldn’t happen though.

It happens rarely, but it has happened since the rule came in.

If a pitcher is good enough, he'll bat. That should be what people want.

Or you can keep watching professionals forced to bat 0.091 in the NL for easy outs

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    It happens rarely, but it has happened since the rule came in.

If a pitcher is good enough, he'll bat. That should be what people want.

Or you can keep watching professionals forced to bat 0.091 in the NL for easy outs

It’s worth it for when a manager has to decide whether to leave a guy in when there’s someone on base so he can pitch another inning or take him out and put in the pinch hitter. Doesn’t happen every game but gives the manager something to do other than manage his bullpen.

People either love or hate the DH with no in between and there doesn’t seem to be any convincing of the other side. I don’t like it and will hate the day when it comes to the NL but I know every fan of the AL thinks the exact opposite.

Advertisement