Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday 23rd: Potential Storm Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I see GEM goes for this on the latest run,

Interesting to see what the EC does in the next 45mins

gem-0-72.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Met Éireann shaping a depression moving over with pressure about 995 over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

All I'm learning is that at the rate they're naming storms we'll be back round to A monikers pretty quickly.

Eh, not unusual to get a train of storms in off the Atlantic in autumn.

Might have started a little early, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No mention of Sunday at all on the forecast after the 6.1

There was, he showed the depression moving over us and said a small bit about it but that it’s developing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

He did and he said it's one we will have to keep an eye on, what were you watching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

He did ,Saturday night Sunday morning a low moving through.
    And will be keeping an eye on it over the next two days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I made this back last year, but I see some questions about model run timings, so it might be useful again:

Thanks for that Mjohnston, very handy.

rQIY6k6.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ECM not as intense on the 12Z run as last nights ( a good 40 - 50 km/h lower on this run )

This could have a different look to it over a few more runs. Very fast jet over Ireland. Will depend on where , when and by how much the LP deepens.

( the first chart in Carlow Weathers tweet is from the 0Z run as far as I know but has the 12Z on it? )

oaizFJ3.png

k7jPsOX.png

T5QXgG6.png

tulHIGC.png

mW28XhH.png

jGcBLBn.png

• Advertisement

Met Eireann
    Issued at: 20 September 2018 19:14

NATIONAL OUTLOOK

This weekend's weather is looking disturbed with the jet stream lying over Ireland, and details are uncertain at this stage. But there is the potential for storm development close to and over Ireland.
    On Saturday night and early Sunday there is the likelihood of more widespread heavy and possibly thundery rain, with some strong or possibly stormy winds possible, as a low tracks close to or over Ireland. Further updates will issue on this closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Love Carlow Weather (great to follow on Twitter) but I note tendency to call possible storms by the next name in the sequence before they are formally named. Think this tends to minimise effect of naming convention if names are prematurely assigned and conditions may not materialise- public attention needs to be drawn to actual serious weather conditions and new naming is one way to do this if it is not dumbed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Storm 10 wrote: »
    He did and he said it's one we will have to keep an eye on, what were you watching

I was watching it. Mustn't have heard him correctly. I was expecting a bit more info given what's on the website that's all.

UKMO 12Z

The UKMO has the system a bit deeper and moving a bit faster than the ECM. Similar isobar gradient. Almost exact same track.

0MMD9Iy.png

pvTfv6n.png

XvVy6aq.png

TT7ViDg.png

Rainfall predictions from the ECM, 24 hr up until 13.00 on Sun 23

After being initially mild in the S, the system clears and with the aid of the developing area of HP to the W there will be an airflow from the NW introduced with associated upper trough and cool uppers. Along with the Jet could lead to Thunderstorm activity.

KZPnqbc.png

vGf9w7o.png

THBvL8h.png

BZyivEF.png

Vd98GBm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭pauldry

Siobhan showed storm Saturday night like GEM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MJohnston wrote: »
    Kermit has flipped his luck this season after nailing all the snow threads!

2idrif.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Although still time here...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So am I right in saying the storm is going to miss us (for the most part)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Quazzie wrote: »
    So am I right in saying the storm is going to miss us (for the most part)

There is still some model disagreement, even just 3 days out, so it's impossible to tell at the moment until we get some more consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Artane2002 wrote: »
    There is still some model disagreement, even just 3 days out, so it's impossible to tell at the moment until we get some more consistency.

BBC weather are saying the same, models are different and one to watch for updates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm prepared either way for the ferry crossing on Sunday :eek:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭pauldry

Extremely unstable over us at the moment

There will certainly be a lot of rain between now and Sunday and late October type temperatures

My take on the storm is that it will intensify over Britain but its back edge could cause some high Winds in the Eastern half of Ireland

Needs to be watched as it is fairly strong out in the Atlantic then weakens a lot on approach to us but gathers intensity in the slipstream of the fast moving jet over us and more especially over Britain

Justs shows the uncertainty and how hard it is for the models to predict the outcome of the wave depression as it interacts with the Jet as it gets close to us all moving along at a fair clip.

Xe1LPkA.gif

lXhvIEg.png

hLfDO0p.png

Ysp259J.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Jean Byrne there on the radio now never mentioned anything for Sunday. "Rain overnight Saturday night, clearing up Sunday. More settled from Monday". That's all she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Watching this one like a hawk. First full weeks holiday in 2 years booked for Sunday. Flying out around lunch time :/

Tracking well S on the overnight runs. Windy along the coasts for a time and wet over Southern counties . Latest guidance suggests winds gusting 60 to 70 km along S coasts. The threat of a storm would appear to be receding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Tracking well S on the overnight runs. Windy along the coasts for a time and wet over Southern counties . Latest guidance suggests winds gusting 60 to 70 km along S coasts. The threat of a storm would appear to be receding.

Would there be much rain out of the system on current guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Thread gone quiet....please tell me that's because the potential storm has disappeared? Need Sunday AM to be a decent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

sideswipe wrote: »
    Thread gone quiet....please tell me that's because the potential storm has disappeared? Need Sunday AM to be a decent!

Quiet before the storm?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement