Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No wonder millennials can't afford a mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

daheff wrote: »
    the other thing you have to factor into this is demand and supply.

Back in the 80s there was no supply constraint like there is today.....but there wasnt huge demands either...people were emigrating in their droves still. When they stopped emigrating and people came back demand & supply curve changed and salary vs house price ratio changed.

if we have huge supply now, prices would not be where they are now.

Look at the prices 12 years ago you’ll find we’re at the same price as we are now and there wasn’t a supply issue afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

steo_magra wrote: »
    Look at the prices 12 years ago you’ll find we’re at the same price as we are now and there wasn’t a supply issue afaik

really? so people weren't queuing for days for releases of properties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Do people think millennials are the first generation to waste money?

With their rock n' roll. A good war would sort them out!

Now lets loan builders money so they can sell us houses or rent back to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Yeah that's what they have every morning for breakfast and nobody born before 1985 ever wastes money on food. There is no transfer of wealth that has happened over the past 30 years in favour of those who own property, its all about toast. Well done.

Self entitled millennials tend to get quite hung up about about 'transfer of wealth'. Its quite a hallmark.
    Earning it themselves seems to be a difficult concept for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭zell12

daheff wrote: »
    really? so people weren't queuing for days for releases of properties?
    There was not a supply issue, there was a credit boom where banks threw money at potential house buyers

• Advertisement

The sandwiches/rolls I buy for lunch vary betweeen about 4.50 and 6 euro so I suooose I spend an average of around 5 euro a day on lunch. Well worth it imo.

Breakfast on weekdays is usually just a slice of bread from home (sometimes with a bit of avacado) and multiple mugs of tea (free at work). Might get a breakfast roll an odd day. Weekends make a fry most sat and sundays or if too hungover/lazy would get a breakfast roll.

I really don’t get why avacados are pointed out as a reason people can’t afforf a mortgage they are not expansive (and are very nice).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Calculations are clearly flawed, avocados haven't been accounted for.

Just in case anyone is wondering: that's 446,428.571 avocados difference in price, or an avocado a day for 1,223 years.

And for anyone curious how many avocados you would need to not eat in order to save for a house: a deposit of €30,000 would be 42,857.1429 avocados. That is one avocado a day for 117.5 years. Maybe I'm unusual, but I don't think that I have over a century left to save up the deposit for a 2-bed in Crumlin. For a start, I'd be well into my pensionable years and unable to pay the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

At 36, I'm not a millenial but was stuck for four years living at home trying to save what was meant to be the beginnings of a mortgage doing *literally* a civil servant's job except for minimum wage (€1500/mth, btw) with no benefits while doing part time college saving fees of about €300/mth.

Now I have my degree and I'm looking at 12 month contracts looking for people with 3-5 years experience to earn €26-€28k to hopefully get enough experience between now and age 40 to get a €35-€40k job.

Maybe the problem is what I eat for breakfast. I'm giving up on saving for a house and thinking ahead to saving for my nursing home stay. But shur laugh it up, the sorted class will be paying for my pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

what does 50c avocado and 10cent bread have to do with mortgages ?
    its stupid time to buy now as economy is back where it was in 2008, grand if one has public job with all the securities in place otherwise youd want to have full amount in cash whatever box your buying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

1988 - average wage 25,000 pound
    Average 3 bed house price 27,500 pound

2018 - average wage 45,000 euro
    Average 3 bed house - 340,000 euro

This in Dublin of course. An economist on the radio the other day.

So yeah they had it easier back in the day by an absolute mile.

Was that average wage really 25k punt in 1988. Not disputing, just surprised. And what was the median I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I dont like branding all young people the same but there is a group in that age segment who want everything right here right now. They want they flash apartment fancy wedding flash car nice holidays each year instantly. Some have no concept of savings or that life may suddenly get turned upside down..
    A previous poster here said about all the new cars at the school gates. A lot are probably bought on PCPs which are the nexy buddle and the new negative equity. That buddle will bust in the next 1 or 2. Coupled with interest rates rising which is earmarked for the end of 2019 some people are in for a rude awaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

cantdecide wrote: »
    At 36, I'm not a millenial but was stuck for four years living at home trying to save what was meant to be the beginnings of a mortgage doing *literally* a civil servant's job except for minimum wage (€1500/mth, btw) with no benefits while doing part time college saving fees of about €300/mth.

Now I have my degree and I'm looking at 12 month contracts looking for people with 3-5 years experience to earn €26-€28k to hopefully get enough experience between now and age 40 to get a €35-€40k job.

Maybe the problem is what I eat for breakfast. I'm giving up on saving for a house and thinking ahead to saving for my nursing home stay. But shur laugh it up, the sorted class will be paying for my pension.

Avocados are your downfall. In my day we'd weetabix and we were glad to get it!

The average tax payer is being edged out of being able to provide for himself in the government pursuit of private wealth. There'll be no buying a house or renting soon without state assistance. We'll all be paying tax which will go to supporting renters and home buyers while the developers and FG/FF roll around in dough. But it'll be your fault for whinging and being self entitled. Or poor because you're lazy. And when the bottom falls out of it, it'll be your fault for going mad and partying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I dont like branding all young people the same but there is a group in that age segment who want everything right here right now. They want they flash apartment fancy wedding flash car nice holidays each year instantly. Some have no concept of savings or that life may suddenly get turned upside down..
    A previous poster here said about all the new cars at the school gates. A lot are probably bought on PCPs which are the nexy buddle and the new negative equity. That buddle will bust in the next 1 or 2. Coupled with interest rates rising which is earmarked for the end of 2019 some people are in for a rude awaking

That doesn't just apply to millenials. That's across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah that's what they have every morning for breakfast and nobody born before 1985 ever wastes money on food. There is no transfer of wealth that has happened over the past 30 years in favour of those who own property, its all about toast. Well done.

Self entitled millennials tend to get quite hung up about about 'transfer of wealth'. Its quite a hallmark.
    Earning it themselves seems to be a difficult concept for them.

Yes and no. Old people are living longer which means they keep accumulating wealth. In the meantime they need pensions and health care which the working propel have to pay for.

Not to mention the fact that they vote conservatively which means they vote against progress in things they don't really understand or care about like gay marriage and social housing.

Was that average wage really 25k punt in 1988. Not disputing, just surprised. And what was the median I wonder.

Well this is what I heard on 2fm I think it was.
    This falls in line with what my dad paid in 89’
    27k for a 3 bed 10 minutes drive (no traffic) from Dublin City centre. Very middle class area and yeah his wages were in and around 25k punt at that time. My mother didn’t work. All his friends and colleagues are the same I know them all quite well. All In very similar situations.
    I’m on above the average wage now but I’m finding it very difficult to save. I’d be doing better than my dad was when he was younger but rent has me and house prices are ridiculous I’ll probably move abroad for a year, next year and continue to save while paying lower rent earning around the same somewhere else in Europe. Lease is also up next month which is worrying.
    F*** Dublin in general but I do love the people, family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There may have been a short time during the very popular Bertie Ahern governments where getting a mortgage was easy. Before that there were proper rules about lending, which made it very difficult. If it is very difficult again, it means that there won't be any need for bank bailouts or writing off mortgages for people who do not keep up repayments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Well this is what I heard on 2fm I think it was.
    This falls in line with what my dad paid in 89’
    27k for a 3 bed 10 minutes drive (no traffic) from Dublin City centre. Very middle class area and yeah his wages were in and around 25k punt at that time. My mother didn’t work. All his friends and colleagues are the same I know them all quite well. All In very similar situations.
    I’m on above the average wage now but I’m finding it very difficult to save. I’d be doing better than my dad was when he was younger but rent has me and house prices are ridiculous I’ll probably move abroad for a year, next year and continue to save while paying lower rent earning around the same somewhere else in Europe. Lease is also up next month which is worrying.
    F*** Dublin in general but I do love the people, family and friends.

Strange, since 3 bed bungalows in Meath were 50k in 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

zell12 wrote: »
    There was not a supply issue, there was a credit boom where banks threw money at potential house buyers

if there was not a supply issue (where people wanted to live) then there would not have been queues overnight. simples

Hahahaha ! Good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

4 bed bungalow in Louth c. £60K in 91/92.

• Advertisement

Note unit pricing is in Euro.
    Also this is the average my father paid below average house had a lot of work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Do people think millennials are the first generation to waste money?

It seems many very stupid people do believe this is the case.

Note unit pricing is in Euro.
    Also this is the average my father paid below average house had a lot of work.

Apologies this screenshot may appear clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I feed myself for €20 a week and manage to eat quite well, yes I'm a millennial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Do you think it was cheap in the 2000's when we had to buy them? Our's cost 450,000.

And banks were handing out mortgages like ****ing goodie bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Luckily I'm NOT a Millennial, and I bought my house during the crash. I don't even them, but the greed from some of the Baby Boomer generation is disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Try_harder wrote: »
    Luckily I'm NOT a Millennial, and I bought my house during the crash. I don't even them, but the greed from some of the Baby Boomer generation is disgusting.

What Baby Boomer generation? The one over in America? Because that didn't exist in Ireland.

amcalester wrote: »
    4 bed bungalow in Louth c. £60K in 91/92.

Found this article from 1989 that mentions semis in terenure going for between 57k to 90+ k. Terenure is a middle class area about 3 or 4 miles from Dublin City centre.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/rising-dublin-house-prices-in-the-1980s-from-the-archives-may-16th-1989-1.2212646

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Found this article from 1989 that mentions semis in terenure going for between 57k to 90+ k. Terenure is a middle class area about 3 or 4 miles from Dublin City centre.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/rising-dublin-house-prices-in-the-1980s-from-the-archives-may-16th-1989-1.2212646

Good article, that's 2-3 times the 27k price mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Good article, that's 2-3 times the 27k price mentioned above.

I think I vaguely remember my parents saying around 87 or a bit later that neighbours (that moved) paid 50k for a house in one of the settled parts of Tallaght near the village.

Remember it because I remember thinking it was such a big amount of money as you did when young.

The coalition government at the time gave housing grants, of 5k I think, to council tenants to move out and buy their own houses which would be accurate enough given it was 10%.

Advertisement