Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No wonder millennials can't afford a mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

For every millennial gag here, there's plenty of swipes about the supposedly entitled generation preceding it.

My sympathy is squarely with the people affected by the lack of social housing and dysfunctional rental sector. For home buyers who can't deal with being priced out to the suburbs and commuter belt, less so.

Inclined to agree. I know a lot of my peers are living in rural areas and commuting because that's all they could afford at the time. Yeah it's a pain but they just get on with it. On the flip side I have a friend constantly giving out about not being able to afford a house, he's well able to buy a house just not the 4 bed semi in his home town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

jmayo wrote:
    Times have changed and people now face new challenges, but I am sick and tired of one group blaming another for their problems or claiming ones that went before had it fooking easy.

Well said.Finally some sense instead of attempting to blame a different generation. As an aside my parents paid 13 per cent interest on their mortgage in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

For every millennial gag here, there's plenty of swipes about the supposedly entitled generation preceding it.

My sympathy is squarely with the people affected by the lack of social housing and dysfunctional rental sector. For home buyers who can't deal with being priced out to the suburbs and commuter belt, less so.

is anyone saying they're entitled? I think people are saying that it's a completely different world where younger people are as a disadvantage that older people didn't have. And it's not just about the suburbs. You're talking about 20 miles from the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Augeo wrote: »
    At that point I was just out of college, and I did, actually. Sh1tloads of volunteering which was pretty productive, and got a postgrad. Some folks will always have their lazy assumptions :):)

Well the ole post grad and the preceding college years don't seem to have turned into much of a pocket liner for you, given your b1tching and moaning about property and rent prices etc etc :)

No they were an alright pocket liner actually, just not enough to keep up with rents rising far faster than wages. As I said I'm not aiming to own a house, just rent something, somewhere.

Where would you like to put the goal posts next boss?

• Advertisement

Where would you like to put the goal posts next boss?

Was just chatting :)
    Cheers for the positive participation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Also, due to internet, anyone in the world can view and buy in Ireland - do they need ppsn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm guessing their portions are in the smaller side but maybe not too much so. You'd be surprised how far money can stretch making stuff from scratch. I've priced bolognese/pasta (about 500g each portion) and a 9" pizza (including cheese and sauce) at less than €1 to make each for an example.

Id say your gas craic having a few pints.

what does that work out at in real terms though? is 11% of the average house price then the same as 3% of it now? because without those figures and the average wage it's not relevant. according to the CSO the average house price then, in Dublin was £11,000 in 1975 (the earliest figure I could find). The same site says in 2016 it was 391k for a new house and 363 for a second hand house.

And then there's this.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-hes/hes2015/aiw/

in 1975 real wages (adjusted for inflation etc) work out at €391 euro. in 2015 it's €695. So wages have gone up in real terms by 56% (according to my rough calculations) but house prices have increased by far more.

(Edit: btw, I checked price for inflation on this calculator.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/cpiinflationcalculator/

11,000 euros in 1975 translates to about 76k now. Yes, it's euro to euro. I couldn't be bothered translating punt to euro to euro :) )

Really what we're arguing is have house prices gone up massively compared with what people can afford. I think that's true. It's been happening since the 90's and now it's compounded with a rental crises which means it's harder and harder to save to get on the property ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm guessing their portions are in the smaller side but maybe not too much so. You'd be surprised how far money can stretch making stuff from scratch. I've priced bolognese/pasta (about 500g each portion) and a 9" pizza (including cheese and sauce) at less than €1 to make each for an example.
    Aldi published some family meal recipes recently including cost per person
    A girl called jack is excellent
    https://cookingonabootstrap.com
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/20/10-pound-a-week-recipes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I’m 44 and never tasted an avocado. .

You aren't missing much.

I've young kids, they have all wolfed them down to begin with, but as soon as they're old enough to not just eat whatever bland mush you shovel into them they stop.

I can't for the life of me understand why any sane person would eat them for breakfast - or for any other meal time!

You aren't missing much.

I've young kids, they have all wolfed them down to begin with, but as soon as they're old enough to not just eat whatever bland mush you shovel into them they stop.

I can't for the life of me understand why any sane person would eat them for breakfast - or for any other meal time!

A bit like blueberries. You try an convince yourself they taste nice when in fact they taste like **** are are rotten most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What happened then? That's a massive drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You aren't missing much.

A bit like blueberries. You try an convince yourself they taste nice when in fact they taste like **** are are rotten most of the time.
    I love blueberries.

Decent source of non egg, non dairy and non meat monounsaturated fatty acids :)

Generally anyone who owns a house wont have any savings.

Avocados are bland. 2 slices of batch with lashings of dairygold and a few sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What about the people who can't get on the property ladder because of the dysfunctional rental sector? It's hard to save up a deposit to buy when you're spending a huge chunk of your wages on rent every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Grayson wrote: »
    is anyone saying they're entitled? I think people are saying that it's a completely different world where younger people are as a disadvantage that older people didn't have. And it's not just about the suburbs. You're talking about 20 miles from the city.

People have always had to cut their cloth to what they can afford. Despite all the homilies about the 80s, most people couldn't afford to buy in nice areas.

I guess the elephant in the room these days is that people that can't afford mortgages (of which there has and always will be) have less and less of a safety net of social housing or private renting, which is really the most pressing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

1988 - average wage 25,000 pound
    Average 3 bed house price 27,500 pound

2018 - average wage 45,000 euro
    Average 3 bed house - 340,000 euro

This in Dublin of course. An economist on the radio the other day.

So yeah they had it easier back in the day by an absolute mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

steo_magra wrote: »

Calculations are clearly flawed, avocados haven't been accounted for.

• Advertisement

Generally anyone who owns a house wont have any savings.............

Generally the only savings someone without a house has will be for a deposit or for future rent payments if they never buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Back in the day stamp duty was much much more than what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Also access to cash was far harder , interest rates hit 18-20% in that time period

Also access to cash was far harder , interest rates hit 18-20% in that time period

Someone posted the interest rates a page back. they weren't that high in 88.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

EdgeCase wrote: »
    They can't afford a mortgage because the previous generation spent all the money on a massive housing bubble and the banks and sector are trying to claw those losses back from the current generation.

You cant afford a mortgage because your wages are too low vs the cost of property. Central bank rules limit you to 3.5x salary. Maybe blame your employer for not paying you enough to buy a property (or your landlord for trying to take more of your income in rent).....or the people selling properties that are outside your limits. Its not because people are trying to claw back losses.

That avocado toast comment came from an Australian interview with someone lecturing the current generation for daring to complain about their housing bubble.

If people have to skip breakfast and are at the pin of the collar to afford housing, that is terrible for the economy! It means people have no disposable income and that means no money circulating and fewer jobs and less investment.

Telling people to stop spending money = no shops, no cafes, no restaurants, dying Main Streets in small towns and 3 jobs at Aldi and anything else ordered online at lowest price possible.

We need to have realistically priced homes that people can actually afford, not lecturing people about a bit of fruit and a slice of toast.

It's unbelievably patronising.

You missed Tim Gurner's point completely. He didnt suggest people go without breakfast!

His point was that Millennials expected to be able to buy property at ease and without any sacrifice. In days gone past (2000s boom time included) people saved hard to get together deposits.

He suggested that Millennials would be better able to afford property deposits by sacrificing these luxury items and saving the money instead. Its not patronising. Its common sense.

If we don't get a bit realistic about housing here we will at best choke off economic growth due to lack of accessible housing or, we will go head first into another financial crash.

A properly functioning country has housing at an affordable price and can manage to actually have a good lifestyle. Being able to afford an avocado is hardly the measure of extreme opulence.

I think whats really happened over the past 10-20 years is that companies are making higher profits than ever before but not passing increased wages back to employees.

In real terms employees are making less than previous generations, landlords are better able to increase rents to take more of your disposable income, there are more consumer products that are 'necessary' (new iphone every 12months??) so property is less affordable because you have less disposable income.

And because more companies (REITs) are buying up more property (in cash) the price of property is going to be unaffordable to individuals very soon. Companies are not subject to the 3.5x salary mortgage limits that individuals are.The only way to keep property affordable for people is to limit the amount of residential property that can be bought by companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

1993 13.99%
    1994 7.49%

What happened then? That's a massive drop.

The ERM band changed significantly in 1993. That's probably a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

the other thing you have to factor into this is demand and supply.

Back in the 80s there was no supply constraint like there is today.....but there wasnt huge demands either...people were emigrating in their droves still. When they stopped emigrating and people came back demand & supply curve changed and salary vs house price ratio changed.

if we have huge supply now, prices would not be where they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As a chef, can I just say this: why the hell this deconstructed food is even a thing?!?! I though I am getting payed to construct food for people, so they dont need to do it themselves?!?!

Being a chef has a lot of drawbacks, but there is one big advantage: I work 12h shift and I wont spend a penny on food or coffee. I have my breakfast, lunch, dinner and all the coffee at work. My work expenses are only petrol and washing my uniforms.
    I was shocked when I found out how much my misses can spend working in office on lunches and coffee. It can rack up very damn fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Was it €312,500 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just to be sure, you are aware that the dysfunctional rent sector is in no small part both a result of and contributor to the lack of options for first time buyers?

Advertisement