Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attemped bookies robbery in cork(old man kicks ass)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

You're all praising that old guy but he's a idiot who got lucky with the fact that these lads were probably only kids or junkies. One of them looks like he's never held a hammer in his life. If these lads had been serious then one bang of a hammer and it would of been all over for him and for what?

Ah let them enjoy their day in the spotlight ffs.fair play to them its a pity they didn't get more digs and kicks into the bas tards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I could of took em these type of guys ain't no robbingbandit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Why are people going on about protecting the bookies money? He most likely knew the young lad behind the counter and didn't want to see him get a hiding. Obviously he could have been hurt, that's what makes him a hero. Fair play.

Exactly. If you watch it closely he takes his time, observes what is happening and sees the young lad beset by two hammer wielding thugs. He shuffles in, look at the way he grabs the top of the counter to give himself traction and by taking the heat off the young fella he emboldened him to respond too. For a man in his 80s he is extraordinary, the grapple, the chair, the chase, the return, the parting kick. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I used to work in a bookies (actually identical in layout to the one in the OP) and the week before I started they were raided at gunpoint. They were all extremely traumatised, and the shop owners refused to install glass at the desk after, as they didn't want to interfere with the "atmosphere of the shop".

I couldn't leave that company fast enough.

I got held up at gunpoint in a retail job before. Managed to only give them about half of the money there as they couldn't see what was there.

When the police and manager had left afterwards, guess who had to finish his shift and lock up the shop by himself? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Grappling unarmed with armed robbers to protect the profits of a random business definitely demonstrates keen intelligence alright.

A few weedy upstarts that don’t know how to hold a hammer probably their first attempt trying to rob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    A few weedy upstarts that don’t know how to hold a hammer probably their first attempt trying to rob.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I was going to type - Old people what's not to love!

But then I checked myself and recalled that incessant whinging and faint smell of vegetables.

I'd actually be more afraid of a strung out, nervous junkie than a more experienced robber. Doesn't take much skill to swing a hammer or fire a gun.

Obviously lotta badasses in here ain't afraid of no weeds with weapons, amirite?

Very glad nobody was harmed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Think that's from the new series of Young Offenders. It's like something the idiots in that show would do. 3 armed men run into a bookies and leave empty handed after an oul lad gives them a few slaps.

I'd actually be more afraid of a strung out, nervous junkie than a more experienced robber. Doesn't take much skill to swing a hammer or fire a gun.

Obviously lotta badasses in here ain't afraid of no weeds with weapons, amirite?

Very glad nobody was harmed anyway.

The ould lad left them off light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Are people not seeing the shotgun?

Old guy was lucky he didn't get his head blown off!!

Pelvis wrote: »
    Are people not seeing the shotgun?

Old guy was lucky he didn't get his head blown off!!

It’s a toy if it were real do you think the ould lad would go up against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I got held up at gunpoint in a retail job before. Managed to only give them about half of the money there as they couldn't see what was there.

When the police and manager had left afterwards, guess who had to finish his shift and lock up the shop by himself? :D

They got every penny you say? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Was working in a small centra when i was in college.
    Place got robbed before i worked there and a few times after i worked there.

The owner still refused to buy a safe and was still happy keeping the weeks (yes the full weeks takings) in plastic bags under the counter.

I always suspected he had an insurance scam going where he would organise a robbery and just increase the value of stolen cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Where in Cork was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The young lad wasn’t hiding, he gave a good scrap

He's talking about the customer in the green. There are actually 2 younger customers and they both dive under the shelf under the tvs.

It’s a toy if it were real do you think the ould lad would go up against them?

No end to this lad's talents. He can now definitively identify a replica firearm while being involved in a three-way melee :D

No end to this lad's talents. He can now definitively identify a replica firearm while being involved in a three-way melee :D

There’s a difference between a replica and a toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sugarman wrote: »
    I didn't say he was ..but it's still stupidity whatever way you look at it. Scumbags like this don't give a toss, one blow and this lad could have been killed or seriously injured.

he's 83 he probably thought feck it i'm going to die soon anyway might as well go down all guns blazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Where in Cork was it?
    Glanmire. North of Cork city - near Mayfield. It's a really nice suburban mixed with countryside area. This is probably a big deal there.

The guard on RTE news was not impressed by their choice to intervene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Why are people going on about protecting the bookies money? He most likely knew the young lad behind the counter and didn't want to see him get a hiding. Obviously he could have been hurt, that's what makes him a hero. Fair play.

Exactly this. I’m not sure I’d have done what he did but I think he’s a hero and the fact he’s 85 makes it better. The boot up the hole at the end is just the icing on the cake.

I’m fairly sure he’s not thinking “I want to protect the bookies money”, he’s just doing what he thinks is right. It’s the principle. Which you have to admire because most people would just be worried about what is best for them and f**k everything else as can be seen from some of the replies on this thread.

The fact he wouldn’t give interviews and just went playing pitch and putt yesterday makes him more of a legend. Mayfields answer to Clint Eastwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Glanmire. North of Cork city - near Mayfield. It's a really nice suburban mixed with countryside area. This is probably a big deal there.

The guard on RTE news was not impressed by their choice to intervene.

Glanmire is anything but nice ... doormen at the castle will attest to this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

They're just lucky it wasn't a bookies in Churchfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I love this oul lad for not giving any interviews to the scumbag media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Glanmire is anything but nice ... doormen at the castle will attest to this ;)
    Anything but nice? Yeah it's real rough.

Scumbags going to one of its pubs doesn't change that it's a really nice, quiet area overall.

Advertisement