Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attemped bookies robbery in cork(old man kicks ass)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

What were the odds of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What were the odds of that?

In a bookies with no security screen? I'd say quite short tbh.

The auld lad did well there , got a left hand in and a boot up the hole out the door . Love the young lad in green come skulking out of hiding at the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Old guy had no fear. Very relaxed. The most dangerous person you can meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Serious respect to that old guy. It's easy to pick on the young guy for hiding but gaurantee 99% of people on here would have been down the back hiding with him. Truth is that we have no idea how we'd react until the situation arises and a lot of the braveheart keyboard warriors wouldn't come close to that old guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Old guy deserves a nomination for President, I'd vote for him over the other shower of wasters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Looks a bit fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Grappling unarmed with armed robbers to protect the profits of a random business definitely demonstrates keen intelligence alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Ficheall wrote: »
    Looks a bit fake.

No it doesn't. It looks like 3 lads who thought it would run a lot more smoothly than it did and when there was a bit of resistance they didn't have the balls (thankfully) to use their weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Great video. Any scumbag going into rob somebody with a claw hammer, or similar, needs to be charged with the same offence as if carrying a firearm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

You're all praising that old guy but he's a idiot who got lucky with the fact that these lads were probably only kids or junkies. One of them looks like he's never held a hammer in his life. If these lads had been serious then one bang of a hammer and it would of been all over for him and for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Great video. Any scumbag going into rob somebody with a claw hammer, or similar, needs to be charged with the same offence as if carrying a firearm.

If right was tight they'd have their arms amputated by force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Reminds me of the old timer kicking the snake in the Ozzy man reviews video ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

You're all praising that old guy but he's a idiot who got lucky with the fact that these lads were probably only kids or junkies. One of them looks like he's never held a hammer in his life. If these lads had been serious then one bang of a hammer and it would of been all over for him and for what?
    I know, but I simultaneously think fair play to him still. Heat of the moment too - rationality goes out the window. See your point though - it was lucky it turned out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

He could well know the fella that was behind the counter and didn't want to leave him grappling with two fellas armed with hammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say he had a nice bet in play and didn't want to be waiting until tomorrow to get his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Give that man a medal. Gold, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It turns out that the old man that took on the gang is 83.What a hero.I bet the two lads that hid will be even more embarrassed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Does the lad on the left have a shotgun or pretending to have one?

Do I like what the aul fella did? Yes.

However he could have just as easily gotten a beating for money that wasn't even his (unless his horse was just coming in).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

takes years of handling hammers alright to perfect the art of bopping someone on the head :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Does the lad on the left have a shotgun or pretending to have one?

Do I like what the aul fella did? Yes.

However he could have just as easily gotten a beating for money that wasn't even his (unless his horse was just coming in).

does look like a shotgun alright.. impossible to tell if it's a fake but that's probably likely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I used to work in a bookies (actually identical in layout to the one in the OP) and the week before I started they were raided at gunpoint. They were all extremely traumatised, and the shop owners refused to install glass at the desk after, as they didn't want to interfere with the "atmosphere of the shop".

I couldn't leave that company fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Old lad puts up a fight..whilst young lad in green hides like a nancy boy

generational thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

sugarman wrote: »
    Stupid to get involved, could have ended up horribly wrong ..and for what? A measily few quid out a bookmakers pocket?
    He wasn't protecting anyone's money, just standing up against thuggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I like the way the old fella tried to give the scumbag a kick up the hole as he left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

fryup wrote: »
    Old lad puts up a fight..whilst young lad in green hides like a nancy boy

generational thing?

A common sense thing, more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

That video was posted in the bandy legged thread yesterday - best thing I have seen on the internet in ages. If you watch it while talking out loud imagining the old man's inner dialogue it's even better...."come here to me ya little runt, do ya feel lucky, do ya, take this ya puny...." Etc. Legend of an oul lad. My Da was a younger version, never shy to give a gouger a kick in the hole. It's dangerous but fcuk it's admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Will be rewarded with a few €5 free bets I’m sure.

*must be placed at odds of 1/1 or higher
    **original free bet stake not returned in winnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Why are people going on about protecting the bookies money? He most likely knew the young lad behind the counter and didn't want to see him get a hiding. Obviously he could have been hurt, that's what makes him a hero. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

They're talking about this now on the Neil Prendeville show.Apparently the old lad is as fit as a fiddle,he goes to the gym and swims a few times a week.He shouted back at the scumbags 'Come on ye cowards'.I genuinely hope he gets a medal.

Prendeville was talking to the lad working behind the counter asked him how was he feeling,as in was he traumatised,his response was 'Im not part of the compo culture'.Fair play.

Advertisement