Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest Irish song of all time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

timthumbni wrote: »
    I’m well aware of who wrote the song. No political borders ?? Exhibit A ... the Wolfe Tones...

Sure every country has songs/bands who write about political freedom. Traditional Irish music belongs to all the island both north and south. Just because you don’t agree with the lyrics of certain songs is irrelevant.

Well to be fair the Wolfe tones are normally only listened to by Scottish neds in Celtic jerseys I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Cry Before Dawn - Gone Forever. Great Wexford band. Should have been huge

So many extraordinary versions of one of the best known and most utterly rousing of all the songs from the 18th-century Aisling genre of poetry, Óró sé do bheatha abhaile:

There's still something classic about Darach Ó Catháin's (from Ráth Chairn/Leitir Móir) hugely acclaimed version from 1980 - Darach was singing on a building site over in Britain and somebody reported him for bringing the Irish lads to tears with his sean nós singing and RTÉ flew him back to Ireland to record this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What this thread really illustrates is how shyte "Irish music" is.

Still brilliant, and not just because they're mere students as opposed to professionals - yet another 18th-century 'Aisling' poem (by Seán Clárach Mac Dónaill) turned into a famous song:

Sting and The Chieftain's version of the same song:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Derek Warfield and the Young Wolfe Tones do a great upbeat version of the anthem in English, The soldiers song

The continuity Wolfe Tones.

A few mentioned 1000s are sailing by the Pogues. Here's a version by the writer, Philip Chevron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well to be fair the Wolfe tones are normally only listened to by Scottish neds in Celtic jerseys I suppose.

Which kind of sums up the north I suppose. It’s always them or us as opposed to everyone actually being virtually the same or equal. The Dup denigrate everything that is ‘Irish’ playing up to its sectarian bigots but are beginning to finally wake up and smell the coffee by attending gaa matches and meeting Irish language groups. It’s the only way forward just like Irish music is no threat to anyone but joins our cultures together.

Which kind of sums up the north I suppose. It’s always them or us as opposed to everyone actually being virtually the same or equal. The Dup denigrate everything that is ‘Irish’ playing up to its sectarian bigots but are beginning to finally wake up and smell the coffee by attending gaa matches and meeting Irish language groups. It’s the only way forward just like Irish music is no threat to anyone but joins our cultures together.

It’s quite funny as everyone knows that band in particular make their money from wannabe scottish Celtic supporters and the bigots amongst them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- I like this thread. Do not make me mod the thread. Drop the political stuff right now.

Also demanufactured thread banned. Reason- Being a killjoy.

It’s quite funny as everyone knows that band in particular make their money from wannabe scottish Celtic supporters and the bigots amongst them.

You seem to be besotted by them. Of all the great Irish music you focus on that band! By the way they are also popular in North America.

Irish music is 32 county and beyond. That is the point.

• Advertisement

If We are talking pop music only then I would say thin lizzy whisky in the jar. What a tune.

You seem to be besotted by them. Of all the great Irish music you focus on that band! By the way they are also popular in North America.

Irish music is 32 county and beyond. That is the point.

As the mod suggested not the forum for this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Sonny678 wrote: »
    The greatest music talent this country has ever produced by a metric mile is Van Morrisson. He doesnt play the media game and he is not a very cuddly individual, but in terms of music he is the greatest musical figure this country has ever produced. Put it this way Van Morrisson is the river shannon of Irish music, all other artists are just small tributaries compared to this giant of music.

Here are some great Van Songs

Here comes the Night
    Caravan
    Tupelo Honey
    St Dominics Preview
    Cyprus Avenue
    Wonderful Remark

But three Van songs that stand above any, 3 of the greatest songs ever written and they are , 3 Van masterpieces ,

And it Stoned Me
    Into the Mystic
    Madam George

If you want fast cheerful pop song, listen to Brown Eyed Girl, but if you want songs that are soulful, at times dark , with deep meaning, tboughful lyrics, incredible music, listen to those three masterpieces above.

Other great Irish Songs that deserve a special mention

The Blades Ghost of a Chance
    Stiff little Fingers Alternative Ulster
    U2 11 O Clock Tick Tock
    The Undertones Teenage kicks
    Gilbert Sullivan Clair
    Rory Gallagher/Taste Blister on the Moon
    Ash Girl from Mars
    Something Happens Parachute
    The Stunning Brewing up a Storm
    A House Endless Art
    Microdisney Birthday Girl
    Sinead O Connor Mandinka
    Shane McGowen /Pogues A Pair of Brown Eyes
    The Stars of Heaven Sacred Heart Hotel
    Whipping Boy We dont need anybody Else

This is pretty definitive , And it stoned me is probably the best ever written I would give a mention to Dancing in the moonlight by Thin Lizzy a song before its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Green Fields of France (willie mcbride)

Great song,....but,
    written about Anzac soldiers,by a Scott!
    (Eric Boogle)

As the mod suggested not the forum for this argument.

Which I just saw.

My greatest Irish songs would be:

Song for Ireland
    Grace Jim McCann
    U2 - One
    Cranberries - Dreams
    The four of us - Mary always makes me smile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Joxer goes to Stuttgart

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

This is a interesting thread, but from Carolin through O Riada, and around by Val Donikan,Wolfe Tones,Daniel O Donnell,right up to Kodaline, there has been some brilliant music.To pick just one piece is virtually impossible.

By the way,forget about Daniel, but ye get my jist!!

Actually the song Carrickfergus is an amazing one too. Well I’m drunk now and I’m seldom sober.....

invicta wrote: »
    This is a interesting thread, but from Carolin through O Riada...

I absolutely love this rousing Seán Ó Riada tune. I feel like marching to Kinsale right now!:

And for survivors of the 70s, we have this brilliant Horslips version of it (although I wonder how many have made the link):

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

. Classic in the drinking song category and use of the word sh*te.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

I absolutely love this rousing Seán Ó Riada tune. I feel like marching to Kinsale right now!:

And for survivors of the 70s, we have this brilliant Horslips version of it (although I wonder how many have made the link):

Knew it was a traditional rifff,though I couldn't have named it. I think the electric guitars in the horslips version give it an extra bit of omph that I like.

Interesting thread,, which seems to have turned into people a naming their favourites. That being the case I'm going to take the opportunity to name a song which most people will probably have never heard. Scott Millar Said, by Steven Ryan and recorded by his band the Revenants is probably my favourite Irish song, and one of the best I've ever heard. Absolutely sublime. Nicky Kelly of the Fat Lady Sings wrote an article about it some years ago where he also named it as his favourite Irish song. It's about the death of his father as far as I know, and when he sings "still we halve time enough to remember the ones who leave though they hardly care to go" it wells me up. I'd post the video from YouTube if I wasn't so technologically illiterate. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I've already posted my favourites, but I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the great Irish cailín band, B*witched and their french song, C'est La Vie.
    Here it is for anyone fortune enough to forget it

https://youtu.be/UvjLgjtJKsc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

The four of us - Mary always makes me smile

how could that be considered 'the greatest' anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Putinbot wrote: »
    Mod- I like this thread. Do not make me mod the thread. Drop the political stuff right now.

Also demanufactured thread banned. Reason- Being a killjoy.

Aww :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,917 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Shocked I was the only person who mentioned Boomtown Rats

Prob the case of Bob's Humanterian work for most of there success but they do have some great songs and were great supporting Queen in July in Marley Park

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Some great tunes here - but is it a stretch to call The Waterboys Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Shocked I was the only person who mentioned Boomtown Rats

Prob the case of Bob's Humanterian work for most of there success but they do have some great songs and were great supporting Queen in July in Marley Park

A great character and a few great songs - but sadly he can't sing ?

A great character and a few great songs - but sadly he can't sing ?

He's not the best but still an ok performer and has the bank balance of a successful star

Little talent can get a person very far

• Subscribers Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He's not the best but still an ok performer and has the bank balance of a successful star

Little talent can get a person very far

"How to compare popular songs that will sell " is actually a very good album.

He's underrated

• Advertisement

This is a great Irish song
    https://youtu.be/InS3YsrlgkY

The clip from one of the 80s reeling in the years episodes with this playing in the background brings a tear to the eye

Advertisement