Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest Irish song of all time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

timthumbni wrote: »
    If anyone can post a link I would appreciate it but “Scorn not his simplicity” for me is an absolute classic. Irish to the hilt and a great piece of writing all round.

Here you go horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Song for Ireland - Luke Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So many good Irish songs, here's a few honourable mentions

Boomtown rats- I don't like Mondays and Rat Trap are classics

Hello hello hello hello- Something happens

Ash- burn baby burn

Glen Hansard- Failing slowly

The 4 of us- Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Brendan O’Connor - Who’s In The House

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

The reel in the flickering light, Christy Moore.

The stolen child, The Waterboys (recorded in Spiddle, so Irish even if the band aren't!)

Thousands are sailing, The Pogues. Also A pair of brown eyes, Rainy night in Soho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Putinbot wrote: »
    If anyone can post a link I would appreciate it but “Scorn not his simplicity” for me is an absolute classic. Irish to the hilt and a great piece of writing all round.

Here you go horse.

You legend. Thank you very much. If anyone can top this one I would be happy to see it. This song never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You legend. Thank you very much. If anyone can top this one I would be happy to see it. This song never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Thanks.

Do you know the story of the song?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Phil Coulter wrote this song for his first born child who was born with a handicap

Aye. I do. That’s what makes it an almighty song. It’s an amazing piece of writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Ride On.
    Christy Moore

A heap of total and utter sh*te!

Follow me up to Carlow by Planxty, Scorn Not His Simplicity, Luke Kelly

The Pogues Young Ned of The Hill or Paddy Reilly's Rocky Road to Dublin!

Way too many to narrow it down to just one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Arclight - Fat lady Sings

Ocean and a Rock - Lisa Hannigan

Goodbye - Mick Flannery

I Remember - Damien Rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Not the best or even ours! but we do have a knack for making songs our own! Pink.Floyd's)Wish You Were Here was played by a band I was out with tonight and it does bring about an Irish comradery! Good choice by Aslan!

Another song we claimed :p the acoustic band I was out with tonight managed to throw a bit of maniac in magically with Cristy Moore's Ride On :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭older by the day

I'm not a dub. But aslan must be the most underrated band in the world. Can anyone tell me how that happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I'm not a dub. But aslan must be the most underrated band in the world. Can anyone tell me how that happened

Imo they are a band that are freakishly underrated and overrated by people! They're alright. A few good songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The greatest music talent this country has ever produced by a metric mile is Van Morrisson. He doesnt play the media game and he is not a very cuddly individual, but in terms of music he is the greatest musical figure this country has ever produced. Put it this way Van Morrisson is the river shannon of Irish music, all other artists are just small tributaries compared to this giant of music.

Here are some great Van Songs

Here comes the Night
    Caravan
    Tupelo Honey
    St Dominics Preview
    Cyprus Avenue
    Wonderful Remark

But three Van songs that stand above any, 3 of the greatest songs ever written and they are , 3 Van masterpieces ,

And it Stoned Me
    Into the Mystic
    Madam George

If you want fast cheerful pop song, listen to Brown Eyed Girl, but if you want songs that are soulful, at times dark , with deep meaning, tboughful lyrics, incredible music, listen to those three masterpieces above.

Other great Irish Songs that deserve a special mention

The Blades Ghost of a Chance
    Stiff little Fingers Alternative Ulster
    U2 11 O Clock Tick Tock
    The Undertones Teenage kicks
    Gilbert Sullivan Clair
    Rory Gallagher/Taste Blister on the Moon
    Ash Girl from Mars
    Something Happens Parachute
    The Stunning Brewing up a Storm
    A House Endless Art
    Microdisney Birthday Girl
    Sinead O Connor Mandinka
    Shane McGowen /Pogues A Pair of Brown Eyes
    The Stars of Heaven Sacred Heart Hotel
    Whipping Boy We dont need anybody Else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I love these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1YxHZPcMaQ

She moved through the fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭roady rhodes

Cranberries - Dreams :D has a real Irish vibe to it

Also a shout for The Pogues - Thousands are sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

there was a documentary on rte about a year ago called "This is Christy" - they talked about how they went on your in America but Christy was too deep in addiction at the time it didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

I see the Furey's mentioned earlier, and I think that they are responsible for two more all-time classics: The Old Man and When You Were Sweet Sixteen.

Incredibly moving and indicative of that genre of music that has so many of our diaspora pining for home. I for one well up every time I hear The Old Man sung live.

In terms of global success, it's hard to look beyond Zombie and Fairytale of New York, and your pick of U2 songs. But whether success=greatest is a separate issue.

For me "Irish" constitutes traditional sort of music etc.
    Sweet Sixteen is not an Irish song, though. It's an old US vaudeville/music hall song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Ipso wrote: »
    And The Fugees sampled her!

Even more astonishingly, put out by BBC Records originally, as a tie in to their series the Celts. More info here https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/0d86745c-fa0c-4150-af0d-d6ea9ab85f31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I'm going to ignore everything the OP said about personal favourites and post a couple of my favourites.

That’s a lovely simple song by Clannad. Never heard it before. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I generally hate smug Irishness. Things like ‘everyone wants to be Irish’ or ‘hurling is the best game in the world’ or ‘the Oirish are the best fans in the world’. All that self congratulatory crap.

However, I think the one thing we do over achieve in is music. It’s some heritage. I’m proud of it. From beautiful the old Gaelic songs and poems from our distant past written by wandering poets and bards to our modern day brilliant musicians.

Van Morrison, U2, the Cranberries, Phil Lynott, Sinead O’Connor, the Pogues, Christy Moore, Clannad, the Chieftains, Rory Gallagher, the Undertones. And the many lesser known solo artists who deserve to be stars like Declan O Rourke.

To be fair I think Scotland also bats above its weight in music and the number of brilliant bands and artists produced by England is phenomenal.

Here you go horse.

I’m going to bump this one again. What an amazing song. And this video is great too. The fluter walking back with a pint from the bar and whacking straight into it. The fiddler with his hair and beard about 40 years ahead of the fashion with the young cubs nowadays. The guitarist with his very unique style. And as for Luke Kelly like his forename suggests he’s a Jedi. That is raw music with a meaning.

If anyone asked me to show an example of irishness then I would show this video. The fuller version has the presenter taking with them a bit first. He is the only fly in the ointment and I love it when Luke asked him which song he is talking about. Classic....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

National anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

I generally hate smug Irishness. Things like ‘everyone wants to be Irish’ or ‘hurling is the best game in the world’ or ‘the Oirish are the best fans in the world’. All that self congratulatory crap.

However, I think the one thing we do over achieve in is music. It’s some heritage. I’m proud of it. From beautiful the old Gaelic songs and poems from our distant past written by wandering poets and bards to our modern day brilliant musicians.

Van Morrison, U2, the Cranberries, Phil Lynott, Sinead O’Connor, the Pogues, Christy Moore, Clannad, the Chieftains, Rory Gallagher, the Undertones. And the many lesser known solo artists who deserve to be stars like Declan O Rourke.

To be fair I think Scotland also bats above its weight in music and the number of brilliant bands and artists produced by England is phenomenal.

As a NI unionist I think the whole “you will never beat the Irish” Schlick etc to be embarrassing to say the least. However I agree that youse do produce some unique and talented musicians.

I refer to Luke Kelly a few posts ago and I have to admit that on that front i am a bit jealous that I cant claim full irishness just based on that video alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

As a NI unionist I think the whole “you will never beat the Irish” Schlick etc to be embarrassing to say the least. However I agree that youse do produce some unique and talented musicians.

I refer to Luke Kelly a few posts ago and I have to admit that on that front i am a bit jealous that I cant claim full irishness just based on that video alone.

Phil Coulter who wrote the song is from Derry?! Hardly a youse for you! Luke Kelly was an extraordinary talent. Irish music has no political borders - it’s a genre for all the island.

Phil Coulter who wrote the song is from Derry?! Hardly a youse for you! Luke Kelly was an extraordinary talent. Irish music has no political borders - it’s a genre for all the island.

I’m well aware of who wrote the song. No political borders ?? Exhibit A ... the Wolfe Tones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I’m well aware of who wrote the song. No political borders ?? Exhibit A ... the Wolfe Tones...

Sure every country has songs/bands who write about political freedom. Traditional Irish music belongs to all the island both north and south. Just because you don’t agree with the lyrics of certain songs is irrelevant.

Advertisement