Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you evacuate your home in an emergency or stay?

• 15-09-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

with this terrible news over in the USA of the hurricane and quite a few people choosing to ignore advice and stay with their property and try and ride out the storm it just got me thinking what would others on here do if you were in the similar situation and the authorities said you must leave for your own safety ... would you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

maybe some of them think if they left their home it would be looted or robbed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

with this terrible news over in the USA of the hurricane and quite a few people choosing to ignore advice and stay with their property and try and ride out the storm it just got me thinking what would others on here do if you were in the similar situation and the authorities said you must leave for your own safety ... would you?
    interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Depends on the storm

Tidal wave, id probably evacuate.

Space Nazis riding on T-Rex, hide in the attic.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Depends on the storm

Tidal wave, id probably evacuate.

Space Nazis riding on T-Rex, hide in the attic.

what if you had the unknown of how bad it would get - but the authorities are predicting it will be pretty bad and that you must evacuate ? - would you listen to them or trust your own judgment ? - wouldnt that be foolish as well as dangerous?

what if you had the unknown of how bad it would get - but the authorities are predicting it will be pretty bad and that you must evacuate ? - would you listen to them or trust your own judgment ? - wouldnt that be foolish as well as dangerous?
    .true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Id seek the advice of the Cranium dude on the weather forum

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Hard to say, depends on what the emergency is I guess. And on whether or not I think the authorities know what they're talking about and on whether or not evacuating is likely to be a worse alternative than staying.

If I'd be told to evacuate because of a tidal wave I'd definitely stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Were it a crappy wooden American house, I’d be doing a legger

that wud be weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Well we've seen it here earlier this year, where advice was given to stay in doors for safety. But people still went out and unfortunately died.

People will always think they know better.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Trying to get my family in a car is a nightmare. So we'd probably just end up getting caught out in it of we tried to evacuate.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

House is made of concrete, windows double glazed I'd stay put with a few extra cans brought in to tide me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'd probably stay, know i wouldn't be happy anywhere else as I'd be worrying about the cattle :o Plus the house I live in is pre-famine so it's pretty sturdy, nice thick walls to hide inside!

From what I've read a lot of the people that aren't evacuating are staying because they have been told they can't bring their pets to the shelters.

So really the question you should be asking is : if you were told you'd have to evacuate (to uncertain circumstances) AND leave your pets behind.

In which case I'd definitely stay put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Only risk in these parts is the La Palma volcano erupting and sparking a mega tsunami, even then it would only effect SW shores of Europe.

PTStorms or even H-Cat<1 are all handy enough unless you insist on kitesurfing that day.

Anything else SHTF such as Yellowstone Caldera, or Italy’s Phlegraean Fields (Vesuvius) becoming unstable and causing a SuperVolcano simply means stocking up on the soup n' water for up to 3mths. Indonesia or Japan also have potential SV’s which could result in volcanic winters, but again <0.1% chance popping anytime soon.

Only risk in these parts is the La Palma volcano erupting and sparking a mega tsunami, even then it would only effect SW shores of Europe.

PTStorms or even H-Cat<1 are all handy enough unless you insist on kitesurfing that day.

Anything else SHTF such as Yellowstone Caldera, or Italy’s Phlegraean Fields (Vesuvius) becoming unstable and causing a SuperVolcano simply means stocking up on the soup n' water for up to 3mths. Indonesia or Japan also have potential SV’s which could result in volcanic winters, but again <0.1% chance popping anytime soon.

Yeah but what about Z-day huh? what about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Had to think seriously about this in that bad year in Kerry when the National Forest and its surroundings were on fire with illegally lit fires.

I stood at the door early one dark morning and there were flames in every direction.

In that case. as long as I could get the cats and dog in the car, no question. The house was rented and I have little stuff.

Here? Getting off the island? I am sure they would persuade me - if they were obeying themselves. IF! If it were eg a tidal wave..

wexie wrote: »
    From what I've read a lot of the people that aren't evacuating are staying because they have been told they can't bring their pets to the shelters.

So really the question you should be asking is : if you were told you'd have to evacuate (to uncertain circumstances) AND leave your pets behind.

In which case I'd definitely stay put.

Yes I heard that too, and I would stay if my critters were not allowed out. See my reply already posted when I saw this. This happened here too in the floods.

I'd probably stay, know i wouldn't be happy anywhere else as I'd be worrying about the cattle :o Plus the house I live in is pre-famine so it's pretty sturdy, nice thick walls to hide inside!

I am in a demountable dwelling; a sealed aluminium unit concreted into the ground and well drained path etc. No fear of it going anywhere ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

House is made of concrete, windows double glazed I'd stay put with a few extra cans brought in to tide me over.

Do you live in a low lying area that would be prone to flooding?

Every major urban centre on this island would be in serious danger if a major hurricane hit and followed by a 6-12 foot storm surge. No amount of concrete and double glazing would stop a wall of water entering a house and covering the first storey of the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I'd stay my house has been here for at least 170 years and far away enough from the sea so doubt there would be anywhere better to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... with a few extra cans brought in to tide me over.

Drinking before or during a known emergency situation is just plain dumb: it vastly reduces your ability to make good decisions about how to react to what's going on, and means you cannot drive if you need to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

stay put and watch it on the telly just like the paddies day parade

Drinking before or during a known emergency situation is just plain dumb: it vastly reduces your ability to make good decisions about how to react to what's going on, and means you cannot drive if you need to.

that must be why all the booze was sold out during Ophelia :pac:

or was that the bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

In America yes. In ireland no. Because our authorities made such a huge deal and causes such a panic over a bit of wind in the winter. In America, it wouldn't be have been such a over the top dramatic deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

But then the Hurricane cocktail would never have been invented.

I live in a city centre, so in the case that they were somehow trying to evacuate the whole city due to some catastrophy, I'd leave. If it was more of a 'if you have somewhere else you can go to, you probably should' warning, then I'd stay put.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    In America yes. In ireland no. Because our authorities made such a huge deal and causes such a panic over a bit of wind in the winter. In America, it wouldn't be have been such a over the top dramatic deal.

Three died in Ophelia for thinking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I suppose if there was a fire I might be edged out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Graces7 wrote: »
    Three died in Ophelia for thinking like that.

Yep, all who failed to heed warnings to stay indoors. It's sad, but warnings were there for a reason.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yep, all who failed to heed warnings to stay indoors. It's sad, but warnings were there for a reason.

A decade on a North Sea island taught me to respect the elements especially in winter. Some terrible and avoidable tragedies.

Advertisement