Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Donald is perhaps definitely kinda NOT coming to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Question about the terms of these plea-deals:

Do the only benefit if the information is deemed accurate, or the information results in a prosecution, or no such terms?
    I'm not 100%, but Manafort he has not only plead guilty but (as expected) agreed to cooperate 'fully and truthfully' with the investigation - https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/14/17860198/paul-manafort-plea-deal-robert-mueller

The guy leading the investigation also took down Enron, and did it by going for the wives of those responsible as the money in that case was effectively being siphoned through them. Manafort is 69 years old, was already found guilty in the other case a few weeks back on 8 separate counts so is likely going to be spending most if not all of his remaining years behind bars, and was going to jail anyway. So I have a feeling Mueller hit him where it hurt, right at home. Especially since texts between his daughters talking about Manafort's 'blood money' and involvement in political murders in the Ukraine came out in the open last year - http://uk.businessinsider.com/paul-manafort-daughter-text-messages-ukraine-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

Considering Manafort was running the show in terms of the campaign, pushed heavily for the fundamentalist nutjob to be put in as VP, organised the likes of secret meetings with Kremlin officials to exchange dirt on Trump's opponent in exchange for talking about sanctions ("secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy in order to deceive others" being the definition of collusion), and worked extremely closely with others who have since flipped like Trump's original initial choice of National Security Advisor (chief of security) Mike Flynn who got caught making dodgy and illegal phone calls to Kremlin officials which he lied about to the FBI (and which the same fundamentalist VP appears to have subsequently lied about having knowledge of), Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen, and probably even more importantly, the CFO of Trump's businesses for the last 40+ years Alan Weisselberg, on top of all the audio leaks, the op-ed in the NYT he has been losing his marbles over, and the book that came out the other day on him, I'd imagine old Donald is in no mood for travel as he knows things are catching up to him pretty quickly.
    In a series of texts reviewed by Business Insider that appear to have been sent by Andrea to her sister, Jessica, in March 2015, Andrea said their father had "no moral or legal compass."

"Don't fool yourself," Andrea wrote to her sister, according to the texts. "That money we have is blood money."

"You know he has killed people in Ukraine? Knowingly," she continued, according to the reviewed texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

33kq7pt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Question about the terms of these plea-deals:

Do the only benefit if the information is deemed accurate, or the information results in a prosecution, or no such terms?

It means sentencing gets delayed while he spills his guts. Should he fail to fully cooperate, as judged by the government, the "dropped" charges are no longer dropped.

It's on page 14 of the agreement. I'd post the text but I can't copy/paste from the doc.

Billy86 wrote: »

It's all fairly impressive from Mueller. I thought Manafort would never flip. Manafort knows everything about the conspiracy with the Russians. He's the only guy who's cooperation scares Trump. I guess the joint defense agreement is off. I'm sure we can expect some unhinged tweets soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The official estimate is 2,975. So yeah, lower than 3000 but we all know he isn't being pedantic if he talks about how when he left there were something like 16 fatalities.

There were only 16 confirmed fatalities at time of his visit. Cannot link at the moment but it is in every article I have read about his visit

• Advertisement

There were only 16 confirmed fatalities at time of his visit. Cannot link at the moment but it is in every article I have read about his visit

That what FEMA and disaster relief is for - supplying clean water, food, shelter, and protection against violence as people fight for a lack of them. Without these things, people die from starvation, thirst, disease, exposure to the elements and violence from others desperate to not meet that fate.

What happened to Puerto Rico's disaster relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

are we sure he won't stop off in Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    That time he arrived in Shannon on his private jet with the harpists and Eamon Gilmore greeting him is etched in my memory.

One of the most embarrassing cringeworthy self deprecating things I've ever seen.
    so etched in your memory that you are misremembering gilmore for noonan?

Do you just take Trump's word and just accept it as true? That's pretty stupid given his dishonesty and distance from reality. Do you think that once the hurricane is gone that the deaths stop? That's also stupid if that is what you think. Deaths continue to happen as a result of the destroyed infrastructure. That's actually where FEMA comes in. It's their job to perform the disaster recovery.

But yeah, continue to parrot Trump and see how easy your bullshít can be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So you accept then that not one more person died in PR after that as a result of the hurricanes?

• Advertisement

Ouch. 46M in forfeitures. that has to hurt his pension.
    In which case this investigation is now running at an almost $30mn profit, having cost $16.7mn as of June. Just one to remember when a Trump supporter predictably calls it a waste of money at some point in the near future - http://time.com/5298205/robert-mueller-russia-probe-cost-trump/. :p

And as always, something Trump tweeted came back to embarrass him in a short matter of weeks... "I feel very badly for Paul Manafort and his wonderful family. “Justice” took a 12 year old tax case, among other things, applied tremendous pressure on him and, unlike Michael Cohen, he refused to “break” - make up stories in order to get a “deal.” Such respect for a brave man!"

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1032256443985084417

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In which case this investigation is now running at an almost $30mn profit, having cost $16.7mn as of June. Just one to remember when a Trump supporter predictably calls it a waste of money at some point in the near future - http://time.com/5298205/robert-mueller-russia-probe-cost-trump/. :p

And as always, something Trump tweeted came back to embarrass him in a short matter of weeks... "I feel very badly for Paul Manafort and his wonderful family. “Justice” took a 12 year old tax case, among other things, applied tremendous pressure on him and, unlike Michael Cohen, he refused to “break” - make up stories in order to get a “deal.” Such respect for a brave man!"

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1032256443985084417

Sounds a bit like he's condoning tax evasion and what most politicians would see as massive theft from the US government.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

FatherTed wrote: »
    So you accept then that not one more person died in PR after that as a result of the hurricanes?

Where did I say that? I said that 16 were confirmed dead AT THE TIME OF HIS VISIT. A couple thousand more died after that. Very sad tragedy.

Do you just take Trump's word and just accept it as true? That's pretty stupid given his dishonesty and distance from reality.

As I said, its written in the articles I have read. I am away until Tuesday and cannot link but please google some articles on the situation. The number 16 was the official death toll when the president visited the area. Not his word, the official word of the authoritys. Its easy to check that fact.

Sounds a bit like he's condoning tax evasion and what most politicians would see as massive theft from the US government.

Releasing tax returns is a private decision for a citizen. Trump not releasing them is his own personal business. There could be any number of reasons why he has refused.

Releasing tax returns is a private decision for a citizen. Trump not releasing them is his own personal business. There could be any number of reasons why he has refused.
    So any reply as to what disaster relief is intended for, like stopping preventable deaths from starvation, thirst, disease, exposure to the elements without a home, etc? You may have missed my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

As I said, its written in the articles I have read. I am away until Tuesday and cannot link but please google some articles on the situation. The number 16 was the official death toll when the president visited the area. Not his word, the official word of the authoritys. Its easy to check that fact.

"As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000..."

He's implying that the numbers were artificially inflated or some such madness. Ignoring the resultant deaths and diminishing the disaster for his own ego is what he's engaging in...

So any reply as to what disaster relief is intended for, like stopping preventable deaths from starvation, thirst, disease, exposure to the elements without a home, etc? You may have missed my post.

Why are you hounding me? What has it got to do with tax returns? No I have no reply to that particular post, and no I didnt miss it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

Why are you hounding me? What has it got to do with tax returns? No I have no reply to that particular post, and no I didnt miss it
    Oh butter up snowflakes...noone is " hounding you"

Typical Trump mentality ....I'm the victim...I'm being hounnded

You were eager to talk about there only being 16 deaths... why are you now all of a sudden so eager to not talk about it when the reality of the situation and how disasters, and disaster relief works, is needed and yet was neither provided nor oreally attempted to be in any meaningful why, is put to you?

But hey Trump (literally) threw kitchen paper at them so all is wonderful - https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/it-totally-belittled-the-moment-many-look-back-in-anger-at-trumps-tossing-of-paper-towels-in-puerto-rico/2018/09/13/8a3647d2-b77e-11e8-a2c5-3187f427e253_story.html

The painful truth Trump supporters dont want to face up to is that those relief funds were instead diverted to kidnapping, drugging and torturing thousands of children including those of US citizens, about one and a half thousand of which have since disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You were eager to talk about there only being 16 deaths... why are you now all of a sudden so eager to not talk about it when the reality of the situation and how disasters, and disaster relief works, is needed and yet was neither provided nor oreally attempted to be in any meaningful why, is put to you?

But hey Trump (literally) threw kitchen paper at them so all is wonderful - https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/it-totally-belittled-the-moment-many-look-back-in-anger-at-trumps-tossing-of-paper-towels-in-puerto-rico/2018/09/13/8a3647d2-b77e-11e8-a2c5-3187f427e253_story.html

The painful truth Trump supporters dont want to face up to is that those relief funds were instead diverted to kidnapping, drugging and torturing thousands of children including those of US citizens, about one and a half thousand of which have since disappeared.

Trump just cant help himself

Check out https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1040783519423913984?s=09

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1040788151000883201?s=09

You were eager to talk about there only being 16 deaths... why are you now all of a sudden so eager to not talk about it

Ok so lets talk about it... First you will have to educate me.

Citation please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Does it not get boring writing the same words to every post.

All you'd have to do is read the post content and then you wouldnt look as ignorant as you do.
    Denialism does not win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

RTFT

Does it not get boring writing the same words to every post.

All you'd have to do is read the post content and then you wouldnt look as ignorant as you do.
    Denialism does not win.

Yes it does get boring, people posting things as fact when there is no evidence whatsoever.

RTFT

I have read the thread, I see there are some posts pertaining to Trump using relief funds to abuse children. I would like verifiable evidence to same as opposed to some strangers word on a message board. I have searched the internet for evidence to the claim but I cannot find any, perhaps those here claiming it could reveal their sources. If I see evidence that the Trump administration is guilty of misappropriation of funds then I will condemn the president and his staff. Until I have seen the evidence, the claim is hyperbole to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Citation please

Out of interest - and I've got no stake in this particular argument - what specific sources would you be willing to accept as accurate ahead of Donald Trump's Twitter account? Because people can throw up as many citations as you want, but if you're just going to dismiss them as fake news, I'd argue it's better to not quote them in the first place.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have read the thread, I see there are some posts pertaining to Trump using relief funds to abuse children. I would like verifiable evidence to same as opposed to some strangers word on a message board. I have searched the internet for evidence to the claim but I cannot find any, perhaps those here claiming it could reveal their sources. If I see evidence that the Trump administration is guilty of misappropriation of funds then I will condemn the president and his staff. Until I have seen the evidence, the claim is hyperbole to me.

RTFT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Out of interest - and I've got no stake in this particular argument - what specific sources would you be willing to accept as accurate ahead of Donald Trump's Twitter account? Because people can throw up as many citations as you want, but if you're just going to dismiss them as fake news, I'd argue it's better to not quote them in the first place.

Very surprised if he will answer that question, here s hoping I'm wrong :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

An American President that we're not tripping over ourselves to claim as our own?

Trump 2020! Four more years!

Advertisement