Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Where has the OSI Mapviewer gone?

  • 10-09-2018 6:37pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ Guramoogah


    Where has the OSI Mapviewer gone?

    I was an occasional user of the Ordnance Survey Ireland free-to-view public Mapviewer ( http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer ) but the service appears to have been withdrawn. The link redirects to https://shop.osi.ie/shop/MapViewer.aspx which points me to the GeoHive service. When I click on the GeoHive link marked "Make Your Map", there's nothing there but a dead link: https://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html. So, what happened? Will this valuable public service return or is it gone forever?


Comments



  • Guramoogah wrote: »
    Where has the OSI Mapviewer gone?

    I was an occasional user of the Ordnance Survey Ireland free-to-view public Mapviewer ( http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer ) but the service appears to have been withdrawn. The link redirects to https://shop.osi.ie/shop/MapViewer.aspx which points me to the GeoHive service. When I click on the GeoHive link marked "Make Your Map", there's nothing there but a dead link: https://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html. So, what happened? Will this valuable public service return or is it gone forever?

    On Geohive you can access the mapviewer with historic layers by clicking on one of the options on the left.

    The old system worked superbly, why they changed it is beyond me,perhaps to make us more appreciative, absence makes the heart grow fonder, as they say.




  • tabbey wrote: »
    On Geohive you can access the mapviewer with historic layers by clicking on one of the options on the left.
    Sorry, but there are no options on the left in GeoHive in my browser (Firefox 61 on Ubuntu 18.04). Nice graphics, zero functionality




  • map.geohive.ie/mapviewer

    There should be a menu on the left. One choice is Base Information and Mapping,when clicked it brings upthe different modern and historical maps and aerial photos that we had before, but also the Cassini map.




  • Yep they have wrecked a once great resource and replaced it with this awkward mucky doggy doo :mad:
    Why they couldn’t have left the old site running concurrently with geohive is beyond me.
    Make sure you adjust the little settings wheel for the transparency from 30 to 0 if you’re using the 25 inch map otherwise it’s hard to see!




  • So, does this GeoHive site only function with smart-phones? I've tried it on a couple of PCs and there's definitely no menu on the left.


  • Advertisement


  • Guramoogah wrote: »
    So, does this GeoHive site only function with smart-phones? I've tried it on a couple of PCs and there's definitely no menu on the left.

    I fail to see any reason why you can't see the dropdown menu on your PC.

    Yes, the OSI map viewer will be missed for its simplicity but all of the options are there with Geohive, and more. The transparency feature can be very useful and the range of data sets is impressive, but I miss not being able to zoom in using the mouse wheel.


    460935.png




  • I've downloaded the Adobe Flash plugin, re-started my browser and verified that the plugin is working. GeoHive still looks pretty but is absolutely useless. Is funding for this crap coming from the public purse?




  • Can you post a screenshot? The page doesn't use flash.




  • slowburner wrote: »
    I fail to see any reason why you can't see the dropdown menu on your PC.

    Yes, the OSI map viewer will be missed for its simplicity but all of the options are there with Geohive, and more. The transparency feature can be very useful and the range of data sets is impressive, but I miss not being able to zoom in using the mouse wheel.
    Still works here.




  • Use Chrome browser.

    Don't use internet explorer.

    If you don't have chrome go download it.


  • Advertisement


  • listermint wrote: »
    Use Chrome browser.

    Don't use internet explorer.

    If you don't have chrome go download it.

    Can you get internet explorer for Ubuntu?




  • It's actually more useful in some ways than the old site. You can now overlay the historic maps on top of modern aerial imagery from Digital Globe for example. You can even have multiple layers of maps, historic, modern and aerial as well as all the other datasets and adjust the transparency of each one independently. What's not to like?




  • GetWithIt wrote: »
    Can you post a screenshot? The page doesn't use flash.
    GeoHive main screen + "Make Your Map" screen. No menus on left. AdBlockers turned off.




  • Guramoogah wrote: »
    GeoHive main screen + "Make Your Map" screen. No menus on left. AdBlockers turned off.

    Try this:[URL=]http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html[/URL]




  • slowburner wrote: »
    Yes, lose the https: at the front or replace with http:.



    That seems to take you into a different version of the GeoHive system where you can make your own maps, but have to register as a user and log in first.




  • Came across this map viewer yesterday might be easier to use for some.
    http://webgis.buildingsofireland.ie/HistoricEnvironment/
    Just hit layer list to turn off all the red and blue dots!




  • Thanks for link. Geohive is worse than useless.
    Takes an eternity on a slow connection.


Advertisement