Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Who is actually going to do anything about it?[/quote

Plenty other good hurling men in the county that can work with Paraic if the other 2 have stepped away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Interesting that Paraic Fanning was with Davy Fitz in Wexford Park today for the Wexford Senior Club championship. Surely a sign this Waterford thing is a non runner or him

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

Interesting that Paraic Fanning was with Davy Fitz in Wexford Park today for the Wexford Senior Club championship. Surely a sign this Waterford thing is a non runner or him

Surely, your talking out of your hole more like.

Mulbert wrote: »

What are you on about? Surely, your talking out of your hole more like it. I saw him at a football match today in Cavan at 7.

I’m just making an observation that for a fellah we were led to beleive was going to be the new Waterford manager he still seems fairly committed to the Davy Fitz backroom team.

He was hardly down in Wexford for the strawberries

I’m just making an observation that for a fellah we were led to beleive was going to be the new Waterford manager he still seems fairly committed to the Davy Fitz backroom team.

I don't think he knows anything more than u about strawberriess but again, u could be an expert!

• Advertisement

I don't think he knows anything more than u about strawberriess but again, u could be an expert!

Ok lad it’s late and you’ve obviously had a few. Go get some rest

Thanks for that advise. You think it's strange that a member of the Wexford backroom team attended a Wexford club game?

Thanks for that advise. You think it's strange that a member of the Wexford backroom team attended a Wexford club game?

Nope but I think if he thought he was going to be the next Waterford manager he wouldn’t still be beside Davy who has just signed on for another term

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

All up in arms again.
    Tony & Dan pulled out of Pauric Fannings backroom team.

Looking like Fanning will not be getting it now. Really all up in the air now.

Could we see Sean Power getting an opportunity at it?

I hope people realise what’s happening with this whole thing. The players are objecting to everybody who is associated with the job. From Threatening to go to America to striking outside Lawlors for a county board meeting. There are certain players started on the bus on the way back from the limerick match encouraging other players to speak to Derek asking him to stay on. Now they are objecting to everyone in the hope that he’ll come back. It says a lot to me about these players when last xmas they stood in shopping centers around the county asking for a €5 from people to get their picture taken with them so that they could go on a luxury holiday when 20yrds away from them there was people looking for a few € so that we could help the under privileged people within our own county. Disgraceful. I hope paraic gets the job and the people he is looking for and then pick fellas that want to play for the county and not for themselves.

Nope but I think if he thought he was going to be the next Waterford manager he wouldn’t still be beside Davy who has just signed on for another term

Fair enough, but he's still insitu untill circumstances change. I doubt Davy will degrud him seeking the Waterford job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Time is moving on and we need someone in place by the county final

I wonder are the applicants scouting players at club games

It's scary that one of the best jobs in intercounty hurling is not attracting any interest. From what I heard someone on the Committee said something daft to Mattie Kenny and he refused to take the job cause of it dont knw if true or not

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

PTH2009 wrote:
    It's scary that one of the best jobs in intercounty hurling is not attracting any interest. From what I heard someone on the Committee said something daft to Mattie Kenny and he refused to take the job cause of it dont knw if true or not

I believe he didn't take the job as he wouldnt commit to the amount of fundraising and sponsorship they expected him to raise for them

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I believe he didn't take the job as he wouldnt commit to the amount of fundraising and sponsorship they expected him to raise for them

Yeah unfortunately I heard that one too. It's so ridiculous it cant be true. Latest one I heard the weekend was that efforts being made to get Derek back for 1 more year...being led by the players. Hard to know what to believe there are so many rumours and stories going around the past couple of months.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Technically no players are actually part of the panel . New management will pick a panel and some of them might not make the cut so is it right that they have some kind of veto ? . As inept as our county board are , they are the ones tasked with finding a manager

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Yeah unfortunately I heard that one too. It's so ridiculous it cant be true. Latest one I heard the weekend was that efforts being made to get Derek back for 1 more year...being led by the players. Hard to know what to believe there are so many rumours and stories going around the past couple of months.

what a story it would be if he came back and went on to win the All Ireland next year

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

We’ve had 5 years of Mcgrath and that’s enough. He served his time and ultimately came up short. To be led down the road that the players are supposedly leading the search is an absolute disaster and a disgrace if true. Call their bluff if they’re threatening all sorts. This is a case of the tail wagging the dog and as a previous poster said there’s no actual panel active at the moment so any input from any former player should be taken as an opinion only.
    Time for the selection committee to man up, make their choice and stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

[quote="cul beag;108038674"
    Time for the selection committee to man up, make their choice and stick to it.[/quote]

Whoever gets the job needs to drop quite a few from that panel. The team is well gone past stale.
    An input of new faces is badly needed.

Senior football QFs
    An Rinn 3-11- Clashmore 0-19
    Ballincourty 2-16- Gualtier 0-10
    The Nire 1-18- Rathgormack 2-10 (AET)
    Kilrossanty 2-13- Stradbally 0-12

Semi final draw
    An Rinn vs Kilrossanty
    Ballincourty vs The Nire

First time since 2007 that there will be a new finalist in the senior final with An Rinn vs Kilrossanty

Anyone know what the story with Sean Power is? Has he been approached? Would he even want it now? 
    Surely if their having that much difficulty convincing an outsider to take the job they should revert to the obvious candidate within the county and get on with it.
    Look at Tipp who are apparently ready to ratify Liam Cahill this week who managed Tipp to that u21 title a couple weeks ago. Michael Ryan stepped down a good month after Derek and they've replaced him already with someone who wasn't even on the shortlist at the time Ryan stepped aside.
    If there is any truth that the players are having an input and hindering the process then the sole blame lies with the county board 100%. It would not be left happen in any other county. After the way skully Ryan was ousted a few years ago these players have cried wolf one too many times for my liking and have been put in their place long since then. We know players are the ones that give up their lives for the cause but there's too much smoke being blown up their holes nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Senior football QFs

Semi final draw
    An Rinn vs Kilrossanty
    Ballincourty vs The Nire

First time since 2007 that there will be a new finalist in the senior final with An Rinn vs Kilrossanty

When you say a new finalist, do you mean one who hasn't been there for a while, or one who hasn't been in it before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

hardybuck wrote: »
    When you say a new finalist, do you mean one who hasn't been there for a while, or one who hasn't been in it before?

Not sure if An Rinn have ever been in a final, verty unlucky to lose to the Nire in last year's semi but Kilrossanty have 15 titles but haven't won a title since 1989 and haven't been in a final since 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Anyone know what the story with Sean Power is? Has he been approached? Would he even want it now? 
    Surely if their having that much difficulty convincing an outsider to take the job they should revert to the obvious candidate within the county and get on with it.
    Look at Tipp who are apparently ready to ratify Liam Cahill this week who managed Tipp to that u21 title a couple weeks ago. Michael Ryan stepped down a good month after Derek and they've replaced him already with someone who wasn't even on the shortlist at the time Ryan stepped aside.
    If there is any truth that the players are having an input and hindering the process then the sole blame lies with the county board 100%. It would not be left happen in any other county. After the way skully Ryan was ousted a few years ago these players have cried wolf one too many times for my liking and have been put in their place long since then. We know players are the ones that give up their lives for the cause but there's too much smoke being blown up their holes nowadays.

I can understand the frustration towards the players & the county board, specifically 1-2 individuals are running the player power story all over the place. However;

It’s 6 years since skully was moved on, the bulk of that panel has moved on.

We do happen to have the same inept officials in place. The same ones who are presiding over this farcical process! If we go any slower it’s back in time we will be going.

Commen denominator?

We need change at the top table and from with county board. These lads are well passed their sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

Its gone beyond a joke now and it sounds like the county board are incompetent at this stage. Most other counties appoint a team of ex players as a selection committee for finding a new manager. I thought we did this last time the position became available?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Is it possible we have reached a stalemate scenario? It appears:
    Pat Ryan was offered the job but turned it down
    Mattie Kenny was offered the job but turned it down
    Sean power management team appears to be out of the running due to players input
    Pauric Fanning management team appears to be out of the running due to selectors withdrawing

A lot of the above is based on rumours but the longer this draws out and no appointment made, the more the rumours appear to have some truth to them.

Are any other candidates bring considered for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

hardybuck wrote: »
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Senior football QFs

Semi final draw
    An Rinn vs Kilrossanty
    Ballincourty vs The Nire

One who hasn't been in it for a while. It has been 2 of Stradbally, Ballinacourty and The Nire every year since 2007 when it was Ballinacourty and Ardmore.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Is it possible we have reached a stalemate scenario? It appears:
    Pat Ryan was offered the job but turned it down
    Mattie Kenny was offered the job but turned it down
    Sean power management team appears to be out of the running due to players input
    Pauric Fanning management team appears to be out of the running due to selectors withdrawing

A lot of the above is based on rumours but the longer this draws out and no appointment made, the more the rumours appear to have some truth to them.

Are any other candidates bring considered for the job?

you are forgetting about Brendan Cummins & John Allen! Who have also been approached by CB delegates directly.

It is a complete farce.

I am amazed that people still find it within themselves to hold the previous mgmt regime to account! When clearly this is a county board issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭914

I

We need change at the top table and from with county board. These lads are well passed their sell by date.

Who replaces them? I don't see a queue of club members lining up to be put forward for county positions.

All official's are elected so unless we see some suitable candidates being put forward for these positions I don't see much change in the near future.

you would imagine any forward thinking professional wouldnt want anything to do with them. If they all resigned en masse I am sure people would happily get involved. You could not deal with any of them.

There is probably a greater chance of pigs flying though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭914

you would imagine any forward thinking professional wouldnt want anything to do with them. If they all resigned en masse I am sure people would happily get involved. You could not deal with any of them.

There is probably a greater chance of pigs flying though!

Surely if people are interested themselves or their coulds would be putting their name forward?

If they all resign en masse and we don't have people interested, what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement