Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Did a great job with Modeligo when they won the Junior if I call recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fair play to him and hope he gets the respect his deserves, same with all the new management team

Seems like an age since we played last. I can deff see us play in that Munster league thing before the start of the league

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

cul beag wrote: »
    Paraic Fanning, Pa Kearney and big Dan is the final draft apparently.

Another short summer of inter county hurling beckons so. Hopefully they plan the club championship a little better.

Shambles of a county board

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Peter Quelly and Dan now??????

Maybe we might hear more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

His coaching experience isn't in question. The problem is his man management skills! The polar opposite to McGrath.  He will need good selectors around him is all I will say
    I'll take your word  that you know more about it than me. Was it a fallout with Fanning ultimately the reason Eoin Kelly left Mount Sion for Passage?

• Advertisement

He didn't win anything with James Stephens in Kilkenny
    Did he serve as selector with Clare. Don't think he did.

The type of hurling he will more than likely have us playing is what frustrates. Since Justin we haven't had an attack minded manager and now looks like more of the same.

WIT were beaten by 14 points under his stewardship! doubt thats top of the CV
    Hes been involved with WIT teams in various capacities for 15/20 years. I wouldn't judge him on just one term in charge of a very poor WIT team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

I'll take your word  that you know more about it than me. Was it a fallout with Fanning ultimately the reason Eoin Kelly left Mount Sion for Passage?

What happened there again?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

As has already been mentioned here a few times, the idea of potential new managers meeting with player representatives is a bit odd as whoever the new manager is should start from a clean slate. Where the player representatives might themselves be in danger of losing their places on the team or squad, this will surely colour their attitude to potential new managers.

In looking at new players, we especially need to look for additional defenders, as we were very exposed when too many of our old reliables got injured this year with little backup.

I would definitely have the following on the panel:
    Billy Nolan, Stephen O’Keeffe, Shane Roche, Noel Connors, Shane Fives, Darragh Fives, Tadhg de Búrca, Austin Gleeson, Jordan Henley, Seamus Keating, Conor Prunty, Michael Harney, Philip Mahony, Conor Gleeson, Jamie Barron, Kevin Moran, Andrew Casey, Kieran Bennett, Mikey Kearney, Colm Roche, Tommy Ryan, John Paul Lucey, Maurice Shanahan, Shane Bennett, Stephen Bennett, Patrick Curran, DJ Foran, Tom Devine, Darragh Lyons, Pauric Mahony, Mark O’Brien, Brick Walsh.

That’s 32 handy players to be going on with. Members of the outgoing panel whose position might be in need of review include Barry Coughlan, Shane McNulty, Ian Kenny, Peter Hogan, Colin Dunford and Brian O’Halloran. There is a lot of further talent out there who should be looked at, including David Prendergast, Paudie Prendergast, Jack Prendergast, Iarlaith Daly, Donie Breathnach, Kieran Power, John Curran, Neil Montgomery, William Hahessy, Jack Fagan and David O’Sullivan.

That’s 49 players in all who are capable of playing at top intercounty level or who, in my view, are potentially capable of reaching that level. There may be others whom I have overlooked here. There has never before been such a depth of hurling talent in the county, and it confirms me in my view that few other counties have this depth in their ranks.

The key question is whether the new manager will be capable of getting the best out of this talent pool. Whoever he is, he must come in with a completely open mind in terms of who should be on the panel. All available talented players with potentially something to offer should be given a decent chance to prove themselves, and everyone has to earn their place, both on the panel and in the starting team. Nobody should get a place based on past performance, the club they play with, or who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

There is no way the county board can be serious about giving the job to benji Whelan? If they are it means that they really want to get rid of football all together in the county. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he get a 3 month suspension last year for bringing himself on in a league game for the nire when he wasn’t even a member of the club? He doesn’t even know the rules of the association and he is going to be the manager of our county team. I was talking to some of the nire players and they told me that they wouldn’t have won anything only for Jerome stack was involved with them when they got to the knockout stages. Also did a certain junior team in the West get rid of him 1/2 way through the championship because they felt he knew f all about football. This is a really poor appointment 1 I feel that will lead to us withdrawing from intercounty football in the next year or 2 which it seems is what the county board hope to achieve

Deisefacts wrote: »
    There is no way the county board can be serious about giving the job to benji Whelan? If they are it means that they really want to get rid of football all together in the county. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he get a 3 month suspension last year for bringing himself on in a league game for the nire when he wasn’t even a member of the club? He doesn’t even know the rules of the association and he is going to be the manager of our county team. I was talking to some of the nire players and they told me that they wouldn’t have won anything only for Jerome stack was involved with them when they got to the knockout stages. Also did a certain junior team in the West get rid of him 1/2 way through the championship because they felt he knew f all about football. This is a really poor appointment 1 I feel that will lead to us withdrawing from intercounty football in the next year or 2 which it seems is what the county board hope to achieve

Wasant he part of Derek McGraths backroom team ???

As regards the hurlers, hopefully Fanning and co have been attending club games and scouting. We need to go back into the pre season tournament to look at a few players. If someone doesn't want to commit than it's there choice

Looking forward to the new season. I doubt they will sell many season tickets giving were in 1B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 RichardBzero

thesultan wrote: »
    What happened there again?

Dropped for a Munster semi final after he went on a drinking session a few days previous was the straw that broke the camels back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Any talk at all of where we are going to play our home games next year? I would be stunned if we even propose Dungarvan so wondering what the actual suggestion will be?

Be annoyed if it was Cork and Thurles to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Any talk at all of where we are going to play our home games next year? I would be stunned if we even propose Dungarvan so wondering what the actual suggestion will be?

Hearing Nolan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Hearing Nolan Park.

Fraher field or nowhere. Nowlan park is Tipps second home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭914

Deiseen wrote: »

Sure we have Tipp in Thurles this year

Dropped for a Munster semi final after he went on a drinking session a few days previous was the straw that broke the camels back.

It was a big call by Fanning at the time given the club ended up losing one of the best hurlers in the country. Interesting that Mt sion never won another county title since Kelly left

Ballyduff upper have beaten Ring in the senior relegation final. Ring must be sick of winning the intermediate and coming straight back down. That’s 3 times in the past 10 years

Ballyduff upper have beaten Ring in the senior relegation final. Ring must be sick of winning the intermediate and coming straight back down. That’s 3 times in the past 10 years

They should really have 2 up and 2 down. Both the eastern and western intermediate champions should go up with 2 senior teams been relegated. I imagine a problem with that would be that it could be 2 western teams getting relegated and creating an imbalance in the intermediate championships

Can't beat community/club spirit but Ballyduff Upper could have another year of hammerings next season in the senior

PTH2009 wrote: »

They should really have 2 up and 2 down. Both the eastern and western intermediate champions should go up with 2 senior teams been relegated. I imagine a problem with that would be that it could be 2 western teams getting relegated and creating an imbalance in the intermediate championships

Can't beat community/club spirit but Ballyduff Upper could have another year of hammerings next season in the senior

Ring have a couple of serious younglads coming through the ranks. I reckon if they’d stayed up this year they could have stayed up for a while. Intermediate is very competitive and a difficult competition to win, but the gap to senior still seems to be too big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

914 wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »

Sure we have Tipp in Thurles this year
    Tipp havent won a game there in 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

Ring have a couple of serious younglads coming through the ranks. I reckon if they’d stayed up this year they could have stayed up for a while. Intermediate is very competitive and a difficult competition to win, but the gap to senior still seems to be too big

Ring were playing senior football quarter final last weekend whereas Ballyduff have been 3 weeks preparing for this match, that's probably the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hearing the deal for Fanning isn’t over the line yet. Players far from happy and aren’t pleased that he refused to meet them. His stance is that there isn’t a panel until a new manager is appointed.

Hearing the deal for Fanning isn’t over the line yet. Players far from happy and aren’t pleased that he refused to meet them. His stance is that there isn’t a panel until a new manager is appointed.

I’m liking the sound of this guy already

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

I’m liking the sound of this guy already

Yeah shur **** the players, they get paid enough and should just shut up and do what they're told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭914

puzl wrote: »
    Yeah shur **** the players, they get paid enough and should just shut up and do what they're told.

I think the point is that there isn't a panel at present as we currently do not have a manager, so who would a proposed manager meet?

Sounds to me like they don’t need a manager at all shur let them train and pick themselves altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Exactly, just as they do under Cody and Jim Gavin.

Too many snowflakes under McGrath with too much influence knowing their positions were nailed on.

It's about time we had a manager who picks his best players not his best friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I think not meeting the player group is a mistake from Fanning, most people if asked to name the 2019 extended panel would come up with a lot of the same names so why is he afraid to meet with them?
    Because he doesn't want to concede anything and show them who is boss.. an approach that simple won't work with a team like Waterford as players will just say F*ck it and take of travelling.

Comparing Gavin and Cody's approach to a Waterford manager is not a good comparison, both can do whatever they like as players will for the main stay on board as if not they are walking away from the chance of 2, 3, 4 AI medals

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

PTH2009 wrote: »

Were Ballyduff not competitive in every game this year bar the absolute hiding they took from Ballygunner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Deisefacts wrote: »

I’d say now there wasn’t a host of applicants for the position and having been with a club in the county and having some success, he was probably the best man for the job

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement