Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I think we made a mistake in fixating on Nowlan Park last year. I know I did. It made it easier for the Munster Council to knock Waterford back, invoking a sense of solidarity. Then I got to Cusack Park, a ground I had never been to before and thought looked pretty good on the telly, and thought that if this (ahem) modest venue is acceptable then Fraher should be just fine. The rationale the Munster Council will deploy to deny us our home games in Fraher will have to be utterly grotesque. I'm going with "Cork and Tipperary got to play ye in neutral venues so it would be unfair on Clare and Limerick to have to play ye at home"! We have to set out our stall early: we play in Fraher or not at all. I certainly won't be going to any games if we don't get our home games there.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

https://hurlingtalk.com/2018/09/06/waterfords-2018-munster-championship-provides-many-positives-and-areas-to-work-on-in-2019/

Good read about Waterford's Munster championship this year and the positives and areas to improve. Tommy Ryan was top scorer from play despite only starting one game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Deiseen

deiseach wrote: »
    I think we made a mistake in fixating on Nowlan Park last year. I know I did. It made it easier for the Munster Council to knock Waterford back, invoking a sense of solidarity. Then I got to Cusack Park, a ground I had never been to before and thought looked pretty good on the telly, and thought that if this (ahem) modest venue is acceptable then Fraher should be just fine. The rationale the Munster Council will deploy to deny us our home games in Fraher will have to be utterly grotesque. I'm going with "Cork and Tipperary got to play ye in neutral venues so it would be unfair on Clare and Limerick to have to play ye at home"! We have to set out our stall early: we play in Fraher or not at all. I certainly won't be going to any games if we don't get our home games there.

Bang on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

What is the capacity of Fraher field ? It was down to around 8,000 for the munster u21 final a few years ago when we played tipp, maybe around 2010 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    What is the capacity of Fraher field ? It was down to around 8,000 for the munster u21 final a few years ago when we played tipp, maybe around 2010 or so

6,750 capacity. Grand for a league match. Hard to see championship there. But hope we do!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

https://hurlingtalk.com/2018/09/06/waterfords-2018-munster-championship-provides-many-positives-and-areas-to-work-on-in-2019/

Good read about Waterford's Munster championship this year and the positives and areas to improve. Tommy Ryan was top scorer from play despite only starting one game

Lies, damned lies and statistics ! However, if these stats are true, then they are very damning on how Waterford set up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gardner

good to see WP progress. in terms of the €€€€€ to fund the development i would sell FF. its a ****hole but a valuable ****hole in terms of land value.

no need to be maintaining(cost) the kip that is FF when we will have a decent setup in WP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Gardner wrote: »
    good to see WP progress. in terms of the €€€€€ to fund the development i would sell FF. its a ****hole but a valuable ****hole in terms of land value.

no need to be maintaining(cost) the kip that is FF when we will have a decent setup in WP.
    It is needed for club games

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Gardner wrote: »

Fraher Field hosted the All-Ireland hurling finals in 1903, 1905, 1907 and 1911 (Thanks Wikipedia!) so is a protected venue and can't be sold.

I totally disagree in you saying it's a a "****hole".

It is a brilliant surface, much better than Walsh Park and for the abuse it takes, it's always in fairly good nick. It has 6 functioning dressing rooms, excellent lights, good access to parking and as another poster said, it is vital for club games as can be seen this weekend alone with 6 adult matches taking place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

few upcoming club games

Senior Football championship Quarter finals
    Fri 7th Sep- AN Rinn vs Clashmore- 8pm Fraher Field
    Sat 8th Sep- Ballinacourty vs Gaultier- 7pm Lemybrien
    Sun 9th Sep- Nire vs Rathgormack- 3.30pm Fraher Field
    Sun 9th Sep- Stradbally vs Kilrossanty- 7pm Fraher Field

Senior Hurling Relagation playoff
    Fri 14th Sep- Ballyduff Upper vs An Rinn- 8pm Fraher Field

Eastern Intermediate Hurling Semi finals
    Sat 15th Sep- Ballyduff Lower vs Clonea- 2.30pm Walsh Park
    Sat 15th Sep- Dunhill vs Erins Own- 4pm Walsh Park

Western Intermediate Hurling semi final
    Sun 16th Sep- Ardmore vs Clashmore- 7pm Fraher Field
    Ballysaggert beat cappoquinn 3-16-2-15 last Sunday in the other semi final

Senior Hurling Championship Semi finals
    Sat 22nd Sep- De La Salle vs Abbeyside- 5.30pm Walsh Park
    Sun 23rd Sep- Ballygunner vs Passage- 3pm Walsh Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

deiseach;108007962I think we made a mistake in fixating on Nowlan Park last year. I know I did. It made it easier for the Munster Council to knock Waterford back, invoking a sense of solidarity. Then I got to Cusack Park, a ground I had never been to before and thought looked pretty good on the telly, and thought that if this (ahem) modest venue is acceptable then Fraher should be just fine. The rationale the Munster Council will deploy to deny us our home games in Fraher will have to be utterly grotesque. I'm going with "Cork and Tipperary got to play ye in neutral venues so it would be unfair on Clare and Limerick to have to play ye at home"! We have to set out our stall early: we play in Fraher or not at all. I certainly won't be going to any games if we don't get our home games there.

Well you won't be going to the Fraher Field either because tickets would be like gold dust. Id imagine very few would go on sale to the public, between season ticket holders and county board coffers of both counties, that's nearly the capacity in itself.

Personally as much as Id love to see us bring Limerick and Clare down to Fraher Field next year I cant see it happening. Limerick being All Ireland Champs will expect to bring  at least 10/15,000 to their away games next year. Theres too much revenue to be lost from the GAA perspective. The Clare game might be a distinct possibility, but not Limerick, given their fanbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

deiseach;108007962I think we made a mistake in fixating on Nowlan Park last year. I know I did. It made it easier for the Munster Council to knock Waterford back, invoking a sense of solidarity. Then I got to Cusack Park, a ground I had never been to before and thought looked pretty good on the telly, and thought that if this (ahem) modest venue is acceptable then Fraher should be just fine. The rationale the Munster Council will deploy to deny us our home games in Fraher will have to be utterly grotesque. I'm going with "Cork and Tipperary got to play ye in neutral venues so it would be unfair on Clare and Limerick to have to play ye at home"! We have to set out our stall early: we play in Fraher or not at all. I certainly won't be going to any games if we don't get our home games there.

Well you won't be going to the Fraher Field either because tickets would be like gold dust. Id imagine very few would go on sale to the public, between season ticket holders and county board coffers of both counties, that's nearly the capacity in itself.

Personally as much as Id love to see us bring Limerick and Clare down to Fraher Field next year I cant see it happening. Limerick being All Ireland Champs will expect to bring  at least 10/15,000 to their away games next year. Theres too much revenue to be lost from the GAA perspective. The Clare game might be a distinct possibility, but not Limerick, given their fanbase.

Is that not exactly what Kildare did? Mayo were expected to bring a huge following to the game so it was moved to Croker. Kildare said f*ck that and the size of the Mayo support didn’t matter a **** because of Kildares stance. I can’t see how our situation could be deemed any different to that.
    There is no obligation to accommodate all season ticket holders even. If it’s to our advantage to play the game in Fraher then we play the game in Fraher.
    The new management team will have to make an early decision on where they want to play the homes games and stick to it no matter what.

If Waterford play their two home games in Fraher and I can't get tickets for either, so be it. I'll still happily go to the two away games. If enough of us take that attitude then there's the GAA's revenue right there.

If Waterford play their two home games in Fraher and I can't get tickets for either, so be it. I'll still happily go to the two away games. If enough of us take that attitude then there's the GAA's revenue right there.

Buy a season ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

TBH I'd be happy with either Thurles or PuC to be designated as our home venue. We'd have three games there and both of them are in neighbouring counties so not too far away. This bull**** about it being unfair to waterford to play three games in one venue just doesn't wash. If a slight advantage has to be given to Waterford to nullify a huge disadvantage then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ya, agreed. I'd much prefer to not be able to go to a game if it meant we got home advantage and more likely to win

Playing the All-Ireland champions in Dungarvan. The craic would be absolutely ninety. Playing them in Cork or Thurles . . . not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Playing the All-Ireland champions in Dungarvan. The craic would be absolutely ninety. Playing them in Cork or Thurles . . . not so much.

forget about dungarvan. Its grand for a few club games for junior and intermediate clubs. Thats it. Doesn't hold county finals in senior hurling or at least hasn't in many years, over a decade id say.

forget about dungarvan. Its grand for a few club games for junior and intermediate clubs. Thats it. Doesn't hold county finals in senior hurling or at least hasn't in many years, over a decade id say.

Speaking of forgetting things, how's your graphic coming along?

Would you believe haven’t had 15 mins to sit down yet.

Glad to see you wait with bated breath on my work!

• Advertisement

Would you believe haven’t had 15 mins to sit down yet.

Glad to see you wait with bated breath on my work!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

All up in arms again.
    Tony & Dan pulled out of Pauric Fannings backroom team.

Looking like Fanning will not be getting it now. Really all up in the air now.

Could we see Sean Power getting an opportunity at it?

All up in arms again.
    Tony & Dan pulled out of Pauric Fannings backroom team.

Looking like Fanning will not be getting it now. Really all up in the air now.

Could we see Sean Power getting an opportunity at it?

Mother of god will the search ever end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

2013 senior hurling final
    De la Salle beat dungarvan in fraher field.

2013 senior hurling final
    De la Salle beat dungarvan in fraher field.
    Did Passage not win in 2013.

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Did Passage not win in 2013.

That was 2012 DLS won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

That was 2012 DLS won

Your right. Anyway not well over a decade ago as previous poster said. Fraher field is fine for holding county finals and Waterford games next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

It's not a championship venue lads. And it won't be next year either. Need a viable option instead of a pipe dream

No management team & no home venue. What a depressing state!!

• Advertisement

No management team & no home venue. What a depressing state!!

Who is actually going to do anything about it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement