Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Its not a good way of doing PR or communications. It really gets peoples backs up. Its good he is answering questions. Its not good that he loses the cool or gets snappy. I can understand why but Jeez if the NTA wants to sell this plan to us snappy rudeness does not help.

It helps with some people tbh, and there's a very small amount of the objectors are going to be on Twitter anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Its not a good way of doing PR or communications. It really gets peoples backs up. Its good he is answering questions. Its not good that he loses the cool or gets snappy. I can understand why but Jeez if the NTA wants to sell this plan to us snappy rudeness does not help.

Perhaps - but I'd argue out and out dishonesty is far worse than snapping at someone for being dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

devnull wrote: »
    Perhaps - but I'd argue out and out dishonesty is far worse than snapping at someone for being dishonest.

Not necessarily all for dishonesty to be fair - some of it seems like exasperation he is being asked a question and he shows his irritability.

I do like that they engage on twitter but just not some of his brusque dismissiveness.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Not necessarily all for dishonesty to be fair - some of it seems like exasperation he is being asked a question and he shows his irritability.

I do like that they engage on twitter but just not some of his brusque dismissiveness.

Can you point to a tweet where he was exasperated when answering genuine questions?

One that isn't in reply to the infantile O'Leary spreading misinformation and ignoring his previous answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good article here; https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/08/21/some-bus-drivers-say-busconnects-plan-is-bad-for-their-passengers

I saw a notice up in Ballinteer for a Save our Buses meeting by some bandwagon jumpers today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

Good article here; https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/08/21/some-bus-drivers-say-busconnects-plan-is-bad-for-their-passengers

I saw a notice up in Ballinteer for a Save our Buses meeting by some bandwagon jumpers today.

I remember a similar meeting in Ballinteer to save the 48A which was dying on its arse after the Luas started and DB were planning to cut its frequency. About 400 people turned up to save their "essential" bus which was carrying fresh air all day.

john boye wrote: »
    I remember a similar meeting in Ballinteer to save the 48A which was dying on its arse after the Luas started and DB were planning to cut its frequency. About 400 people turned up to save their "essential" bus which was carrying fresh air all day.

That's the thing though with petitions, you often get far more people signing a petition than actually use the bus service in reality a lot of the time.

I have a relative living in England who had a mini bus serving their rural village 4 times a day Monday to Friday and three times on a Saturday. They were carrying around 200 passengers a month, yet about 600 signed the petition in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Jarrett Walkers rude and dismissive attitude doesnt help

Really ?

I feel Walker has been remarkably restrained and evenhanded,in his responses to the continuous stream of consciousness which has been flung at him.

I'm not certrain that I would have maintained such composure in the face of some of the more flamboyant accusations thrown his way.

Meanwhile,the NTA,who commissioned the report, does'nt actually have any staff member of substance who can be challenged on the issue.....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Really ?

I feel Walker has been remarkably restrained and evenhanded,in his responses to the continuous stream of consciousness which has been flung at him.

I'm not certrain that I would have maintained such composure in the face of some of the more flamboyant accusations thrown his way.

Meanwhile,the NTA,who commissioned the report, does'nt actually have any staff member of substance who can be challenged on the issue.....:confused:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Dermotog. Dermot is making an effort

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Really ?

NTA should have had a posse of PR people out to bat from the start. Either they support Walker or they don't. PR was surely factored into the budget for this.

Honestly I despair. That man did what was asked of him. He had a contract to do this. I often wonder if his contract included dealing with the bewildered, deluded, and parish pump idiots denigrating all this.

There needs to be a balance to the negatives put out there. NOW.

I understand that REAL issues on some routes will be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Walker has been called a "geek planner" by the the NBRU. He has dealt with the opposition to the plan very well given most of it is nonsense, union driven hyperbole and all arguments go back to privatisation.

Over the last few years the NTA have really got involved in major investment overhauls with this, the BusConnects infrastructure programme, DART Expansion and the Metro project. The only thing they need now is a fairly well stocked PR and media department to deal with the people who are intent on keeping this country in the last century for personal gain. If they don't address this issue soon it will be the undoing of some of the progress we have seen in the last few years and planned over the next few years.

It is disappointing that no one took measures to tackle the inevitable backlash from the usual suspects against this plan and other plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

PBP organizing that, I imagine it will be very enlightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

We have our third one coming up shortly. Momentum definitely building and numbers growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Patww79 wrote: »
    We have our third one coming up shortly. Momentum definitely building and numbers growing.

Yes, for another wedge issue, not engaging with the facts which are that BusConnects provides more frequent services that get people further for cheaper than they currently do. No real engagement with facts just creating fear and anger, no solutions just scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dublin Inquirer's Twitter reminded me an excellent article from back in March of this year:
    https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/03/07/david-it-s-time-to-build-a-community-transport-service-for-dublin

Really agree with the throughline of this opinion piece - Metro needs BusConnects orbital and feeder routes, and BusConnects needs a community transport service to feed into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Busconnects info session in SDCC civic office in Clondalkin from 3pm-7pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Busconnects info session in SDCC civic office in Clondalkin from 3pm-7pm today.
    What good is that for commuters?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

Really ?

I attended one of the customer meets in west Dublin recently, their knowledge of Bus Connect was a bit sketchy to say the least, not good PR is my opinion.

ITV2 wrote: »
    I attended one of the customer meets in west Dublin recently, their knowledge of Bus Connect was a bit sketchy to say the least, not good PR is my opinion.

Was that one of the NTA ones, or one of the community meetings?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

N.T.A. one, i wasn't impressed at all, neither was my partner, we felt their knowledge of the proposed changes where vague. We did our own research on the website and figured it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

ITV2 wrote: »

I had a similar experience. The NTA person I was speaking with was very friendly but couldn’t answer many of my questions and called another colleague over to assist. They seemed to lack knowledge of many parts of the current network, so when questioned on new options or anything outside of the maps they struggled to give answers.

They were very welcome of the feedback and asked me to email in all of my comments and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I don't like the tagline "How about that?" on their posters.

There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

I attended both the Fianna Fail and NTA meetings in Dublin 15 last week. As expected the FF meeting was ill informed and focused on the mess the is the lack of interchanges on the 261 route that is supposed to replace the 39. (a genuine concern)
    Unfortunately the NTA presentation was very poor - the staff there did not know the area and gave a lot of mis information on the road layouts. They were the same staff used in all the areas and had no idea of road layouts or traffic around the Blanchardstown center.

They told me the infrastructure changes would be announced after the public consultation on the network. In D15 in particular the success or otherwise of the network is wholly dependent on the infrastructure changes. Separating them leaves an information vacuum that will be filled by worst case scenarios (given the experience of previous Dublin Bus Changes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

Has Walker explained how there will be a direct route form Tyrrelstown - I can't see the misinformation he is talking about on the map. Perhaps he would be better explaining how peak services from Tyrrelstown will compare before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

AlanG wrote: »
    Has Walker explained how there will be a direct route form Tyrrelstown - I can't see the misinformation he is talking about on the map. Perhaps he would be better explaining how peak services from Tyrrelstown will compare before and after.

Why don't you ask him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

KD345 wrote: »
    I had a similar experience. The NTA person I was speaking with was very friendly but couldn’t answer many of my questions and called another colleague over to assist. They seemed to lack knowledge of many parts of the current network, so when questioned on new options or anything outside of the maps they struggled to give answers.

They were very welcome of the feedback and asked me to email in all of my comments and suggestions.

Their job is to advise generally and try and get the public to make a suggestions on the website.

Problem is they're against groups who think the plan is the finalised one so it looks the the NTA people haven't a clue.

NTA should cop on by now or change their message. There's probably more people on this forum who could explain the changes better than the NTA people at these events.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They told me the infrastructure changes would be announced after the public consultation on the network. In D15 in particular the success or otherwise of the network is wholly dependent on the infrastructure changes. Separating them leaves an information vacuum that will be filled by worst case scenarios (given the experience of previous Dublin Bus Changes)

No point starting work on infrastructure changes until the plan is finalised, as they'd be working on things that may change.

He's stated that all of the areas mentioned except Tyrrelstown will have a direct connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

CatInABox wrote: »
    No point starting work on infrastructure changes until the plan is finalised, as they'd be working on things that may change.
    The problem (I think) is that there is an assumption that the plan will happen, and that there can be some grand reveal later in 2019. This is project planning from the 1980s.

In the age of social media, fake news and shouty politicians trying to make a name for themselves, this doesn't work for politically sensitive projects where it can be killed before ever getting off the ground. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but a bit more social media savvy wouldn't be amiss - get spokespeople on social media, get a political sponsor (has anyone seen a Minister recently?), get some glossy sales brochures showing connections to a monorail where smiley happy commuters are served champagne etc. It doesn't even matter if it is stretching the truth, only the nerds on places like this will notice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I saw posters from Jack Chambers about a meeting that he's organising for this evening concerning the changes around that area. With the proposed new houses to be built in that general area, as well as the numerous business parks, it does look like much attention wasn't paid to there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

hmmm wrote: »
    The problem (I think) is that there is an assumption that the plan will happen, and that there can be some grand reveal later in 2019. This is project planning from the 1980s.

In the age of social media, fake news and shouty politicians trying to make a name for themselves, this doesn't work for politically sensitive projects where it can be killed before ever getting off the ground. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but a bit more social media savvy wouldn't be amiss - get spokespeople on social media, get a political sponsor (has anyone seen a Minister recently?), get some glossy sales brochures showing connections to a monorail where smiley happy commuters are served champagne etc. It doesn't even matter if it is stretching the truth, only the nerds on places like this will notice :)

For me,that would be a good start.

Problem is,however,the launch of Busconnects needed to be a Hollywood Blockbuster affair,with the full resources of the NTA studio deployed.

Instead,we have had Jarret Walker himself attempting to deal with questions which are outside his remit,particularly on the Infrastructural side.

The "Parallell Project" regarding the Infrastructure,is,in typically Irish fashion,glossed over by the NTA,as it is more than aware of the necessity to "engage" with Local Government,traditionally the lair of the Flath Earth Society in Ireland.

The Infrastructural elements required by Busconnects are,on reflection,vast and straddle so many areas jealously guarded by a phalanx of senior Civil Servants and bewigged Gentlemen,traditionally highly averse to change,particularly if it impinges on Private Property.

I am increasingly of the opinion that the NTA are NOT the agency to progress Busconnects. :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement