Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worrying rise of TERFism in the UK (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Women have spent the last century or so fighting an inbuilt system which has discriminated against them purely because of their biology. They have, for almost all recorded history, been excessively the victims of discrimination, dismissal, control, exploitation, violence, sexual assault, and murder at the hands of biologically male bodied people.

They are now at a crossroads in history where they are being asked to effectively take someone's word for it that the protections and rights they've had to fight and die for aren't going to be dismissed or appropriated. This isn't an issue of making someone comfortable in society for them, its life and death.
    And any goodwill which might have been built up has been torched to the ground in recent years by this aggressive "punch a terf" business.

When you have prominent people who are in positions of power and influence in the trans movement like Jess Bradley and Aimee Challenor doing the things they've done, and then after they've been found out to be dangerous liars, continue to attack women, often with the support of other members of the trans movement, that is not going to end well.

Which is why I think it's important to stop for a moment and consider what it is that anyone hopes to achieve right now by continuing to attack women who raise concerns.

Everything in bold I agree with, and in fact I have suffered many of the same injustices as these women. If you think I am not concerned with men falsely IDing and abusing rights then you are dead wrong. I share the same worries when it comes to men abusing the system, rare as the cases may be.

As for the rest, well it's just you cherry picking a few trans women who play into the TERF argument. As has been said, there are extremes on both sides, there is no denying that. But if you think TERFs are not also inciting and engaging in violence you are again wrong.

If you want to see what a discussion involving TERFs looks like, I highly advise you watch the Genderquake debate Channel 4 aired a few months back. It was a disaster, but it really does serve to show what is actually happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Terf ideology isnt reasoned debate. Its hateful transphobia.

Do you think that sentence itself is reasoned debate? It’s name calling.

As for this
    However I do think you seem to be inserting yourself as a person into an impersonal point, understandably.

"impersonal"?

There is nothing impersonal about it. These things have direct consequences for me, my mental health (anxiety, stress, depression, etc.) and how the world perceives me and people like me. The Terf campaign is an effort to vilify all transwomen as "misogynistic" oppressors who have lived a life full of male privilege. Well, I can say without a doubt I have never once felt the benefit of male privilege nor have I ever sought to oppress anyone. So, yeah, it's personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Do you think that sentence itself is reasoned debate? It’s name calling.

Its not name calling. Its highlighting the basis of the ideology. The basis behind a lot of trans exclusionary radical feminism is transphobia and hatred of transwomen and violence towards transwomen.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its not name calling. Its highlighting the basis of the ideology.

There are parallels to be drawn here, with white supremacists and fundamental religious types in the US. The former, especially, who have painted themselves as victims, with claims that minority rights somehow deeply infringes on their religious rights when in fact the exact opposite is the case. And that is what TERFs and their supporters are attempting to do. Trans rights do not infringe on anyone's rights - if someone breaks the law, they as an individual should be punished regardless of how they ID.

• Advertisement

Question for you: at a fundamental level, do you believe that biological women have a right to any say in how a woman is defined? I'm not asking about what the definition of a woman is, nor am I trying to get around the charter. Just simply, do you believe they are allowed to have a say?

What about AFAB men, do they not have a right to say what is considered a woman also, and reject that if they so wish?

As always, I find it curious in these debates, how often transmen are totally forgotten about or the identities dismissed entirely (as terfs so like to do).

Also, "biological women" is a misnomer. I have already provided a piece on this thread that goes to show that biology is not as simple as your 3rd year Biology textbook.

Its not name calling. Its highlighting the basis of the ideology. The basis behind a lot of trans exclusionary radical feminism is transphobia and hatred of transwomen and violence towards transwomen.

Transphobia is a word applied to anybody who disagrees with trans ideologies. You haven’t supplied examples of hatred or violence, although both exist on the other side.

https://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/death-threats-force-feminist-campaigner-out-of-university-debate-8821362.html

Transphobia is a word applied to anybody who disagrees with trans ideologies. You haven’t supplied examples of hatred or violence, although both exist on the other side.

You clearly haven't been looking all that hard: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/08/29/labour-activist-linda-bellos-faces-private-prosecution-over-threat-to-thump-transgender-women/

Also your understanding of what is and isn't transphobia is severely lacking.

Counterpoint:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/feb/01/julie-bindel-transphobia

And to give you a better understanding of transphobic rhetoric and its consequences:
    Gays and lesbians have long known that such diatribes are not merely "offensive," but dangerous – as is transphobic writing like Bindel's, and for the same reason: they support social attitudes that have often proven deadly for trans people. According to the Transgender Day of Remembrance web site, 130 people were murdered in 2009 simply because they were transgendered – and those were only the deaths that were reported. Like gay and lesbian people, trans people face the very real threat of violence every day simply for being themselves. Very often, even in places where legal protection exists for gays and lesbians, no similar protection exists for trans people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/death-threats-force-feminist-campaigner-out-of-university-debate-8821362.html

I did provide some examples earlier in the thread.

I can provide hundreds of examples if you wish. The point is: TERF ideology is harmful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

The Terf campaign is an effort to vilify all transwomen as "misogynistic" oppressors who have lived a life full of male privilege. Well, I can say without a doubt I have never once felt the benefit of male privilege nor have I ever sought to oppress anyone. So, yeah, it's personal.

The thing about privilege is, it isn't about how you feel, it's about how you're perceived. It's why people who are part of any minority that 'passes' can receive a type of privilege even if they don't belong to the privileged group.

I've read a few articles from transmen who suddenly find themselves on the receiving end of privilege and how that compares to their life when they were being perceived as female. I think it would be disingenuous to think it doesn't go the other way too.

It's more nuanced because a transwoman likely also feels distress at this perception, but even cis women internalize misogyny based on society's privilege structure. It's so engrained, I don't think you can flat out say no transwomen whom has been the recipient of years of privilege doesn't carry that over through transition.

• Advertisement

The thing about privilege is, it isn't about how you feel, it's about how you're perceived. It's why people who are part of any minority that 'passes' can receive a type of privilege even if they don't belong to the privileged group.

I've read a few articles from transmen who suddenly find themselves on the receiving end of privilege and how that compares to their life when they were being perceived as female. I think it would be disingenuous to think it doesn't go the other way too.

It's more nuanced because a transwoman likely also feels distress at this perception, but even cis women internalize misogyny based on society's privilege structure. It's so engrained, I don't think you can flat out say no transwomen whom has been the recipient of years of privilege doesn't carry that over through transition.

I agree with you, in certain cases, yes: some transwomen do experience male privilege whilst living as male. Perfect example would be Caitlyn Jenner, who made their fortune whilst competing in a man's sport. She has enjoyed the privilege of wealth and fame - which she accumulated under her previous name. Yes.

On the other hand, and what I made a point of expressing in my previous comment as a personal statement, is that I didn't - and countless others haven't either. What many have experienced is extreme marginilsation, violence, bullying from an early age (for being too effeminate) and toxic societal conditioning which did (and to a lesser, but still dangerous, extent for the kids growing-up trans today, still does) teach us to believe that transpeople are an abomination and that they should be ashamed of being trans - and again, there is always a particular emphasis on shaming transwomen. I mean, do you really think we don't internalize that as misogyny (trans or otherwise)? And though I dislike Jenner intensely for her politics and general awful personality, I can also see how societal conditioning have affected her in her life. It is not a privilege to be told from a very early age that you should be ashamed of who you are, it is quite the opposite.

So, what, you've read articles about transmen suddenly being on the end of male privilege. Okay, well, I've read countless articles of transwomen killing themselves because they could never come out or were continued to perceived by society as male after doing so. Is that part of what your idea of male privilege is, too?

And since we are on the subject of "passing". I pass. Having that "passing privilege" provides a whole other set of problems. You are seen as being in on the joke, so when someone is making blatant transphobic statements in a group and the perception is everyone involved is cis, then you have to evaluate whether or not you're safe speaking up for yourself. This has happened to me countless times. It makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe and unaccepted in society. It is far from a privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What about AFAB men, do they not have a right to say what is considered a woman also, and reject that if they so wish?

As always, I find it curious in these debates, how often transmen are totally forgotten about or the identities dismissed entirely (as terfs so like to do).

Also, "biological women" is a misnomer. I have already provided a piece on this thread that goes to show that biology is not as simple as your 3rd year Biology textbook.

I have not seen any evidence of trans men and men having the same sort of issues either, but it is also disingenuous to suggest that the power dynamics at play, and the impact upon men is the same as it is for women. The discussion around trans people participating in gendered sports is an obvious example of disparity.

The forum charter explicitly forbids any rebuttal or discussion of what you posted, unless that is to agree with it, so I'm not going to do that.

The forum charter explicitly forbids any rebuttal or discussion of what you posted, unless that is to agree with it.

Good. As it should be.

Yep - The stickers are not the only ones being placed around. They have lots of different ones. They are disgusting because they basically reduce trans women to nothing but a penis. Not a person. Not a human. Not a woman. Not a trans woman. Merely a penis. These stickers are explicitly whipping up hate and there are numerous reports of razor blades being placed under them in order to harm people that remove them.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The razor blades has been proved to be a hoax. The initial posts on Twitter about razor blades under stickers was from two different people on opposite sides of the ocean within seconds of each other, a fairly obvious false flag if ever there was one.

And, again, an example of an ultimately unproductive tactic. All that results is that now trans activists repeating this lie have their reputations tarnished and people are less likely to believe them.

I agree with you, in certain cases, yes: some transwomen do experience male privilege whilst living as male. Perfect example would be Caitlyn Jenner, who made their fortune whilst competing in a man's sport. She has enjoyed the privilege of wealth and fame - which she accumulated under her previous name. Yes.

On the other hand, and what I made a point of expressing in my previous comment as a personal statement, is that I didn't - and countless others haven't either. What many have experienced is extreme marginilsation, violence, bullying from an early age (for being too effeminate) and toxic societal conditioning which did (and to a lesser, but still dangerous, extent for the kids growing-up trans today, still does) teach us to believe that transpeople are an abomination and that they should be ashamed of being trans - and again, there is always a particular emphasis on shaming transwomen. I mean, do you really think we don't internalize that as misogyny (trans or otherwise)? And though I dislike Jenner intensely for her politics and general awful personality, I can also see how societal conditioning have affected her in her life. It is not a privilege to be told from a very early age that you should be ashamed of who you are, it is quite the opposite.

So, what, you've read articles about transmen suddenly being on the end of male privilege. Okay, well, I've read countless articles of transwomen killing themselves because they could never come out or were continued to perceived by society as male after doing so. Is that part of what your idea of male privilege is, too?

And since we are on the subject of "passing". I pass. Having that "passing privilege" provides a whole other set of problems. You are seen as being in on the joke, so when someone is making blatant transphobic statements in a group and the perception is everyone involved is cis, then you have to evaluate whether or not you're safe speaking up for yourself. This has happened to me countless times. It makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe and unaccepted in society. It is far from a privilege.

I think you're conflating different types of privilege.

Acknowledging someone benefits or benefitted from one kind doesn't mean they stop being oppressed in other areas. I do not have straight privilege or male privilege but I do have white privilege and cis privilege. The whole point of intersectional feminism is working together at these intersects to reduce oppression for everyone. People who transition from one side to the other have huge benefit in highlighting how privilege really affects our lives but we have to be willing to acknowledge it.

Bisexual people face a whole host of unique problems as well, but they also experience the difference in being in an opposite-sex vs same-sex relationships. Recognising how others treat the relationship highlights straight privilege. It doesn't make the bisexual person straight. It just acknowledges that when they are perceived that way they receive a certain set of benefits from outside society. Privilege doesn't go deeper than that perception, despite how deep into psyches it can reach.

The discussion around trans people participating in gendered sports is an obvious example of disparity.

Oh, I agree.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/25/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-wins-texas-girls-title

Then we have the case of Caster Semenya, an intersexed person, who has been vilified by many - what do you do in that scenario?

The razor blades has been proved to be a hoax. The initial posts on Twitter about razor blades under stickers was from two different people on opposite sides of the ocean within seconds of each other, a fairly obvious false flag if ever there was one.

And, again, an example of an ultimately unproductive tactic. All that results is that now trans activists repeating this lie have their reputations tarnished and people are less likely to believe them.

Fair enough.

Interesting that you are not even attempting to excuse or justify the hate filled stickers and how they literally reduce people to nothing other than genitals.

Terry Pratchet

I think you're conflating different types of privilege.

No, I am saying transwomen experience misogyny from the very earliest stages of development. And you keep claiming all transpeople have experienced male privilege, and I am telling you, no, not all.

Acknowledging someone benefits or benefitted from one kind doesn't mean they stop being oppressed in other areas. I do not have straight privilege or male privilege but I do have white privilege and cis privilege. The whole point of intersectional feminism is working together at these intersects to reduce oppression for everyone. People who transition from one side to the other have huge benefit in highlighting how privilege really affects our lives but we have to be willing to acknowledge it.

You are also assuming a transperson's "transition" (a term I hate in a societal setting) is black and white - "one side to the other" as if we all lived a full life experiencing and perceiving the world through cis male eyes and that we must have at some point felt some benefit from that. Well, no. I am sorry to say, it's not that simple. We don't just flip a switch and change despite your perception of events.

Also, how do I acknowledge something I have never experienced? I honestly have nothing to speak of or elucidate on the subject of benefiting from a cis privilege (male or female) 'cause I have never once felt it in my life (unless against me), and I am certainly not the only transperson who feels this way.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Interesting that you are not even attempting to excuse or justify the hate filled stickers and how they literally reduce people to nothing other than genitals.

To be honest, the reason I posted that story was for the hyperbolic reaction from TERFs to the "Uppity trans women throw the first brick" sticker. A clear reference to Stonewall and also, as far as I am concerned, a justified expression of anger. For that to be twisted by TERFs into a call to violence against women ("male violence" as they so transphobicaly put it -because according to TERF science women are obviously incapable of becoming angry and violent :rolleyes: ) is ridiculous.

As for the penis stickers, well, it speaks to the level of the TERF mindset and argument really.

And you keep claiming all transpeople have experienced male privilege, and I am telling you, no, not all.

No I didn't. Only transwomen who have spent most of their life perceived as male and conversely transmen who have been perceived as female. I'm not claiming them as absolutes, just rejecting the notion that birth-assigned privilege hasn't affected any transperson just by virtue of them being trans.

You are also assuming a transperson's "transition" (a term I hate in a societal setting) is black and white - "one side to the other" as if we all lived a full life experiencing and perceiving the world through cis male eyes and that we must have at some point felt some benefit from that. Well, no. I am sorry to say, it's not that simple. We don't just flip a switch and change despite your perception of events.

Again, your perception of the world means nothing in terms of privilege. It's how people perceive you.
    Also, how do I acknowledge something I have never experienced? I honestly have nothing to speak of or elucidate on the subject of benefiting from a cis privilege (male or female) 'cause I have never once felt it in my life (unless against me), and I am certainly not the only transperson who feels this way.

I'm sure there's many trans people who were always perceived as 'different', just like there's plenty of gay people who never had the benefit of coming out of the closet - they were born out and people always assumed they were gay instead of the usual, opposite assumptions. I'm not trying to make an assumption on the entire community, I'm saying we all need to acknowlege where we held or hold privilege in order to fight it.

Again, your perception of the world means nothing in terms of privilege. It's how people perceive you.

I was perceived by society as "that weird f@ggot that looks like a girl" most my life. Still am to too many.

I was perceived by society as "that weird f@ggot that looks like a girl" most my life. Still am to too many.

Honestly at this point if you don't understand I'm speaking to people as a whole and not you directly, I'm done.

I even addressed this actual point in my reply.

Honestly at this point if you don't understand I'm speaking to people as a whole and not you directly, I'm done.

I even addressed this actual point in my reply.

So you are admitting you are speaking in generalisations about the whole trans community.

(And to be clear you emboldened the word you when addressing me)

So you are admitting you are speaking in generalisations about the whole trans community.

At the risk of repeating myself, "I'm not trying to make an assumption on the entire community, I'm saying we all need to acknowledge where we held or hold privilege in order to fight it."

Not the trans community. The whole feminist community.
    (And to be clear you emboldened the word you when addressing me)

To differentiate between one's perception and how one is perceived because you were conflating the two.

Yep - The stickers are not the only ones being placed around. They have lots of different ones. They are disgusting because they basically reduce trans women to nothing but a penis. Not a person. Not a human. Not a woman. Not a trans woman. Merely a penis. These stickers are explicitly whipping up hate and there are numerous reports of razor blades being placed under them in order to harm people that remove them.

You might as well say that feminism in general is obsessed by the penis. Bindel is particularly anti male. Or anti male supremacy as she would put it.

( But also anti male. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/nov/02/whyihatemen )

It’s a general claim of feminism that having a penis (a biological fact) leads to general privileges and gender advantages, these advantages are primarily constructed and not primarily biological

Biology is accepted though, in most cases. Very few feminists deny that men are on average stronger than women. And many argue that (cis)women have it biologically worse too. Menses, childbirth etc.

Transphillia drives a horse and coaches through this argument by saying that Caitlyn Jenner’s life as a man didn’t matter; something internal managed to overcome the social construction or biological fact that she was a gendered and biological male for most of her life.

This means that if caitlyn is truely a female that neither the biological reality of ciswomen nor the social construction imposed on them by having a vagina matters. There is a biological essentialism here but it only applies to trans people.

For a feminist to believe that she has to believe that the unique experience of being a lived in biological woman and the social construction that society imposed on that person with a vagina are mere frippery, which means abandoning most feminism as it was taught until a few years ago. TERF feminism isn’t a reaction to trans ideologies. It’s teaching what has always been taught, saying what has always been said, and believing what has always been believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fact finding (devils advocate) question: As someone who is an LGBTQ ally, and opposed to radical feminism, can I ask why feminism is suddenly ok to label as "wrong" when it excludes someone based on their criteria?

At the risk of repeating myself, "I'm not trying to make an assumption on the entire community, I'm saying we all need to acknowledge where we held or hold privilege in order to fight it."

Not the trans community. The whole feminist community.

And you keep refusing to accept that many transwomen have never experienced this so called male privilege.

Do you want me to start making stuff up to make you feel better about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Good. As it should be.

Silencing debate is never a good thing.

Never..

I couldn’t give a fiddlers either way because being straight, white and male I like things just as they are anyway but trans people need the world to change to suit them while expecting the rest of us to ignore certain scientific realities and that’s going to take some serious debating.

If we can’t debate with you about those fundamental scientific realities then we’re done.

That position harms you, not me.

But it’s your call.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement