Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Do you ever wonder if she wasn't killed by anyone interviewed or mentioned in the case at all, but by a complete random? I know the likelihood is that Hae was killed by someone she knew, Adnan, Jay, the new bf (who's name escapes me now), or a family member, but maybe she was in the wrong place at the wrong time....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Do you ever wonder if she wasn't killed by anyone interviewed or mentioned in the case at all, but by a complete random? I know the likelihood is that Hae was killed by someone she knew, Adnan, Jay, the new bf (who's name escapes me now), or a family member, but maybe she was in the wrong place at the wrong time....

Was it not something the innocence project were looking in too? That there was other asian girls found strangled in this area and unsolved? (found in a different park) and that someone was on prison release? Doesn't account for Jay knowing where the car was etc. I'm still torn, don't feel there was enough to convict him, feel Jay was more involved than was looked at. Came late to the party but binged it and really enjoyed the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Interesting findings by the Judge at the Post Conviction Relief Hearing. The fact that the new witness puts Adnan at the library at 2h40pm and this conflicts with the testimony at the trail and the State's version of events mean that the timeline for the State is now in tatters. They tried to claim that it doesn't matter if Adnan was in the library at 2h40pm as they can move the "come get me call" to Jay to a later time. Yet the judge totally blows that out of the water by stating according to the new timeline suggested that Jay would have had to travel 7 minutes from where he testified he was, meet up with Adnan, travel another 7 minutes to the Park and Ride while also being shown the body at this time. All this would have to be achieved in 6 minutes according to the timeline on record that the State went with.

Now whether you agree with the timeline doesn't matter, this is what the State decided to go with and according to this there is no doubt that Adnan is innocent. This is only according to the evidence from the trial. Seeing as there is no physical evidence tying Adnan to the scene, to the fibers found in the car or on the body or any soil from the burial site and his car it is hard to find any evidence to show he is guilty of anything other than being unlucky.

On the Undisclosed podcast on their last episode where they discuss the ruling they leave it out there that there are still evidence about the case and the conduct of the prosecutor. I wish they released it, but understandably they are leaving this for a new trial, or even for discussions with the State if they discuss a new trial. We will have to wait for this information until it is brought up in a new hearing or when all charges are dropped.

Here is a new article about the latest from Rabia Chaudry and a link to the findings by the judge if anyone is interested in reading it.

Guardian opinion piece, Radia Chaudry

Transcript of decision

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh wow, I admit i wasn't expecting anything radically new at this stage. And I really wanted him to be innocent.

So what happens if this turns out to be serious? They can't keep on having retrial after retrial, presumably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Mr E wrote: »

Interesting, if the Attorney General is confident that this will prove his guilt they should go ahead with the new trial then. Then it can be tested in court and the 5(?) timelines of Jay can be tested with the new evidence (the timeline isn't accurate any longer). There is no physical evidence linking anyone to the crime, except the testimony of a liar. If that is what people are happy to be enough to send someone to jail for the entire lives then the justice system is working just fine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Listened to disclosure last night on the bail application. I don't know much about the American justice system but would be very strange if he isn't granted bail. Also with losing the cell tower details and likely Jays evrer changing testimony I'm not sure there is a case. They also mentioned Jay tried to strangle a girlfriend in 2009, had been in trouble multiple times with the police too. Hardly an ideal witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Is there going to be a new case podcast this year I wonder.. hope so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was season 2 any good?

I gave up on it after a few episodes, it seemed fairly crap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was season 2 any good?

I gave up on it after a few episodes, it seemed fairly crap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I gave up too. Not a great story.

Gave up too, the undisclosed podcast did a different case for season 2 and it's good seems a huge injustice,worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Was season 2 any good?

I heard it out but was disappointed I invested my time in it

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

2nd one wasn't great, I can see why the topic was picked as it had potential, but it didn't play out very well.
    I think that they were making changes to it right up to release as new info was coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

pc7 wrote: »
    Gave up too, the undisclosed podcast did a different case for season 2 and it's good seems a huge injustice,worth a listen.
    Gave up on season 2 of Serial too but did enjoy the Undisclosed season 2 - be interesting to see if anything comes of it, like it did with their look into Adnan's case in season 1. Anyone else listen to the Truth and Justice podcast (formally 'Serially Obsessed')? First season followed Hae Min Lee's case also but has since taken on other cases, similar to Undisclosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

I'm just getting to the end of Season One now.

It seems unbelievable to me that Jay is not the number one suspect here and it's just a bit too convenient that the most obvious suspect happens to have a story that accuses another person of committing the crime.

Even if Jay and Jen's stories are true these two basically helped cover up a murder and if the body had never been found then they'd just get on with their lives without ever telling anyone?

Adnan, Jay and Jen are at the center of this but I'm not sure how. It just seems awfully convenient that Jay and Jen get to tell a story that puts Adnan in prison and then they get to walk away and get on with their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I know im late to the party here but im 100% sure Adnan is guilty .

I think Jay plays a bigger part than he lets on though. Adnan can't incriminate Jay without also doing it to himself. This is obvious in the way he speaks about Jay - he has nothing bad to say about him even though he is the reason he is spending life in jail.

Ooh - a Maryland court has decided that Adnan Syed has the right to a new trial. :eek:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/adnan-syed-serial-podcast-new-trial_us_5abd1f47e4b03e2a5c7a6dd1

Mr E wrote: »
    Ooh - a Maryland court has decided that Adnan Syed has the right to a new trial. :eek:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/adnan-syed-serial-podcast-new-trial_us_5abd1f47e4b03e2a5c7a6dd1

Wow! I thought it was all over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Trailer for the new season has dropped today.

July 1st was the last update for me? I'll check again later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yep I've got the update for Season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Class! Hope it’s a good one. Loved season 1 but gave up half way through season 2. Season one is what got me hooked on podcasts in general so it will always be the original and best for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/serial-season-3-podcast-premiere-date-cleveland-ohio-courts-trial-sarah-koenig-a8523826.html

Inside the cleveland court system. Can't say I'm grabbed really.

Serial was a great true crime podcast at the time but it had huge issues.
    The second season tried to address these but they almost overcompensated too much to the detriment of the story.

I'd say this will be well told, amazingly well produced, and painfully self aware and afraid to have any sort of a strong opinion on the cases themselves apart from "the system is bad"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

was season 1 the original series
    Season 2 the army guy
    season 3 - the redneck dude.

Is this not season 4?

dball wrote: »
    was season 1 the original series
    Season 2 the army guy
    season 3 - the redneck dude.

Is this not season 4?

Redneck dude was S-Town, not serial

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

steve_r wrote: »
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/serial-season-3-podcast-premiere-date-cleveland-ohio-courts-trial-sarah-koenig-a8523826.html

Inside the cleveland court system. Can't say I'm grabbed really.

Serial was a great true crime podcast at the time but it had huge issues.
    The second season tried to address these but they almost overcompensated too much to the detriment of the story.

I'd say this will be well told, amazingly well produced, and painfully self aware and afraid to have any sort of a strong opinion on the cases themselves apart from "the system is bad"

What were the huge issues that serial had out of interest?

dog_pig wrote: »
    What were the huge issues that serial had out of interest?

It's subjective but in essence I thought it was one-sided, that it presented a narrative of "Adnan is innocent-Jay is dodgy". I think Sarah Koenig tried to row back from that in the end but I definitely feel the early episodes are too biased. (I've no problem with bias once its open and declared and people know what they are getting into).

I felt it teased a big announcement/reveal at the end and then it never delivered.

It really ignored the victim of the crime and her family and the impact it had on them.

By contrast, I felt something like "West Cork" was much more impartial and removed - I think they handled Ian Bailey far better than SK handled Adan. They challenged and checked what he was saying on a fair basis and it just seemed far more objective to me.

West Cork was respectful and thoughtful towards Sophie's family which I felt was the right way to go.

Serial is a very well made podcast with a story told very well - just one I think has some flaws.

• Advertisement

steve_r wrote: »
    Redneck dude was S-Town, not serial

S-Town was way better than serial imo

Advertisement