Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Gaelic Football lost it's appeal?

• 03-09-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10 DaltonHurler

Well everyone,

just after the all Ireland Final I was wondering what do people think about football in this day and age. Like do people just get sick of Dublin winning it. Like we have to apprentice this 4-in-a-row team but for the neutral supporters what do they think?

While in hurling there have been five different winners in the last 6 years (Clare, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Galway and Limerick). Like I'm being honest I probably watched 40 mins of the final yesterday, so what do ye people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Nope, it’s never been so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Too many teams making up the numbers, each season is a re run of the season before, nothing for fans to pin their dreams on.

That’s the issue. Forget the quality of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DaltonHurler

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Too many teams making up the numbers, each season is a re run of the season before, nothing for fans to pin their dreams on.

Very true, like when i grew up I was always wondering who would win this years football all ireland, now its just a re run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dots1982 wrote: »

Very true, like when i grew up I was always wondering who would win this years football all ireland, now its just a re run

Next 10 years will be a Dublin Kerry carve up so nothing is going to change.

If it wasn’t for mayo these problems would have been a bigger deal before now.

Dublin are a great team and an enjoyable team to watch. It’s just we have only one Dublin and their level is incredible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

There is no danger for teams now that you can lose 2 games and still make an all Ireland final. A straight knock out like it was in the olden days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mistrryman

Too much basketball type play, players told not to kickpass.This should have been dealt with when it became an issue.

Overly complicated cards system

Too much much diving ,and thuggery still abounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Did hurling lose its appeal when Kilkenny were so dominant? Did soccer lose its appeal when Man United/Barcelona were winning the league every year? Did tennis lose its appeal when Sampras or Federer was doing it? Tiger Woods in golf. Davis or Hendry in snooker. Phil Taylor in darts.

It's up to the rest to get better. People in general love to watch and admire teams or individuals excel. Except Dublin... for reasons of the sour grape variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

What Gaelic Football needs is an inter-provincial championship;

Connaught
    Dublin
    Leinster
    Munster
    Ulster

Round robin format with top 2 into the final. It'll naturally become the highest level in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Did hurling lose its appeal when Kilkenny were so dominant? Did soccer lose its appeal when Man United/Barcelona were winning the league every year? Did tennis lose its appeal when Sampras or Federer was doing it? Tiger Woods in golf. Davis or Hendry in snooker. Phil Taylor in darts.

It's up to the rest to get better. People in general love to watch and admire teams or individuals excel. Except Dublin... for reasons of the sour grape variety.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be much chance of any team challenging Dublin much for the next few years.

Also, your comparison is drivel. Plenty of people were keen to see United lose and are still happy to see them adrift. I'm sure people from many hurling counties were keen to see Kilkenny lose in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Gaa is about community, about your birthplace. I don't give a damn about Tyrone, Mayo, Kerry or Kildare etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Nope. Still like going to matches at every level and enjoyed a lot of games in the SFC this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Football is a poor game. Not even comparing it to hurling which is a far superior game. Football is just terrible to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Football is a poor game. Not even comparing it to hurling which is a far superior game. Football is just terrible to watch.

You literally just compared it to hurling whilst stating you aren't comparing it to it!

Just to clarify, btw, you believe football is a terrible game to watch. Speak on your own behalf.

It's stupid to hate a sport because you don't like the team that is currently the best.

I support Liverpool and spent years watching United winning.
    I love F1 but hated Michael Schumacher.
    Love boxing but hated Mayweather.

I have many more examples. Makes it sweeter when they finally lose 😂

As a Dublin fan, I'm enjoying finally seeing us win. I only remember winning once before 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Hurling as a game itself has improved in ways that Football simply hasn t , it s not only the lack of competition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

It’s gone flat to many athletes now and a lack of skillful ballers. When you hear the players calling for the ball in a final on TV - it’s worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

C__MC wrote: »
    It’s gone flat to many athletes now and a lack of skillful ballers. When you hear the players calling for the ball in a final on TV - it’s worrying

Or maybe just good audio equipment.

Was on the Hill myself and couldn't hear a thing. Btw Croke Park, any chance of putting a few loudspeakers in there so we can lisren to Cluxton's speech next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Individual sports are better when there is greatness on show however it tends to be the opposite for team sports in my opinion.

I love watching Federer,Nadal,Djocovik ,Ronnie O'Sullivan,Bolt,Phelps etc but as individual sports exist more as exhibitions of talent than team sports do dominance from one great player is more tolerable.

Team sports are primarily about entertainment not expression of brilliance.

The 1990's was the greatest decade in the GAA's history due to how open it was and how a very high proportion of teams in both football and hurling could win, 6 different hurling champions and 8 different football champions in that decade.Each year you felt like anything could happen and it was great entertainment.However you couldn't really make the argument that any of the teams in the 90's in either code would go down as all time great teams, I would say that if the Mayo team of the 2010's played in the 1990's they have won at least a couple of all irelands.

Some people forget that the hurling championship was pretty poor for most of the 00's and people were just as sick of Kilkenny then as they appear to be sick of Dublin now so it isn't just an anti Dublin reason for people wanting some more variety in the championship.

Dublin however are providing an example to all other counties in how football should be played and how great a game it is when it is played properly I wish other counties would learn from this and just go out and play proper football, Dublin are not causing matches that don't feature them between evenly matched teams to be dull and yet that is what has happened to football in the last 10 years, the generally negative tactics being used by teams is the main thing killing the championship not Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just to clarify, btw, you believe football is a terrible game to watch. Speak on your own behalf.

I did. That's why I sat here and typed it. Is that a hard concept for you to understand? Only an idiot would think that a single person typing something on the internet is speaking on behalf of the majority.

It's stupid to hate a sport because you don't like the team that is currently the best.

As a Dublin fan, I'm enjoying finally seeing us win. I only remember winning once before 2011.

Oh, come on,

I don't see anyone with half a footballing brain or arguably a bit if sense in general saying they hate the sport because they don't like Dublin? You are pulling that theory out of the sky;

people falling out of love with the game is far more complex than because they "don't like the team that is currently the best"

In fact most football fans think Dublin are a fantastic team. But there are many factors that make them fantastic that other counties can't take advantage of.

The dominance that they have and will continue to have going forward is what is worrying and exasperating for most.

You are a Dublin fan. Of course you are going to enjoy winning.

• Advertisement

I did. That's why I sat here and typed it. Is that a hard concept for you to understand? Only an idiot would think that a single person typing something on the internet is speaking on behalf of the majority.

Good man, Ted. Exceptional rebuttal

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's kind of like the Scottish Premier League at the moment. Dublin are in the same dominant position that Celtic are in and have a vastly larger support base and finances. Hard to see how either team will be caught in the next decade without major intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The game is awful to look at is the main problem.

The fact that we all know who is going to win the All-Ireland in 2019 already is another huge problem. If Dublin keep up a decent level of professionalism they might continue winning for a long time to come. That day will come when another team get all their players on form on the same day and they beat the chances of it happening are pretty slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some really fantastic football having been played the last few years.

Mayo put it up to Dublin for some high quality exciting All-Ireland finals.

Yesterday, we saw a great performance by Dublin, especially in the second quarter, when they destroyed Tyrone. One for the ages.

Not losing its appeal at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Yes, yes. Phil Taylor and Man U, adored by all and sundry :rolleyes:

blanch152 wrote: »
    Some really fantastic football having been played the last few years.

Mayo put it up to Dublin for some high quality exciting All-Ireland finals.

Yesterday, we saw a great performance by Dublin, especially in the second quarter, when they destroyed Tyrone. One for the ages.

Not losing its appeal at all.

The problem is that those games are few and far between.

Last years all ireland final was one of the greatest games of all time but there were not too many other quality games in the whole championship season.

The average game has declined in entertainment value the great games (which have always been rare in any sport) are great but the average game has declined massively in entertainment value, I stopped going to watch Offaly a few years ago as I honestly couldn't take anymore of the crap football being played and I suspect I'm not the only one in the country who became fed up with the type of football on show.

The rules of the sport badly need to be changed as this negative era has been allowed to go on for far too long and something needs to be done to stop it.When you here so many former and current players and so many fasn constantly complaining about the sport it's a sign that there is something seriously wrong which needs to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The problem is that those games are few and far between.

Last years all ireland final was one of the greatest games of all time but there were not too many other quality games in the whole championship season.

The average game has declined in entertainment value the great games (which have always been rare in any sport) are great but the average game has declined massively in entertainment value, I stopped going to watch Offaly a few years ago as I honestly couldn't take anymore of the crap football being played and I suspect I'm not the only one in the country who became fed up with the type of football on show.

The rules of the sport badly need to be changed as this negative era has been allowed to go on for far too long and something needs to be done to stop it.When you here so many former and current players and so many fasn constantly complaining about the sport it's a sign that there is something seriously wrong which needs to be fixed.

It was worse during the time of the Kerry 4-in-a-row. Attendances and tv figures were down all over the place.

When Kilkenny were winning hurling All-Irelands for fun, there was nobody watching.

Oh, come on,

I don't see anyone with half a footballing brain or arguably a bit if sense in general saying they hate the sport because they don't like Dublin? You are pulling that theory out of the sky;

people falling out of love with the game is far more complex than because they "don't like the team that is currently the best"

In fact most football fans think Dublin are a fantastic team. But there are many factors that make them fantastic that other counties can't take advantage of.

The dominance that they have and will continue to have going forward is what is worrying and exasperating for most.

You are a Dublin fan. Of course you are going to enjoy winning.

The OP specifically mentioned getting sick of Dublin winning.

I understand people are getting frustrated at not having a chance to win.

It will change though. Dominance in sport never lasts forever.

It will be so much sweeter for the neutrals when we do lose as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

Hurling is winning out because not only is it a better game, the best teams play each other regularly, every game is a rivalry.

Football takes too long to get to the business end of the year. The super eights was largely a waste of time.

Time for weaker counties and provincial boards to wake up and smell the coffee. They have no place pretending to compete. Would the likes of Longford Dublin games be broadcast if it was hurling...

A Kilkenny supporter, who has 100 football and hurling finals attended believes that Dublin are and will be more dominant then Kilkenny ever were.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    It was worse during the time of the Kerry 4-in-a-row. Attendances and tv figures were down all over the place.

When Kilkenny were winning hurling All-Irelands for fun, there was nobody watching.

This years semi finals have had the lowest Semi Final attendance involving Dublin since 1994 and the lowest in general since 2008.

Interest has definitely declined in the sport.

No point comparing to the 1980's for attendance figures as even the hurling championship had terrible attendance figures back then and there wouldn't ahve been the same degree of wealth in the country as there is now so not as much money to be spending on recreation as there is now.

Advertisement