Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurler of the year 2018?

• 01-09-2018 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Graeme Mulcahy

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

slegs wrote: »
    Graeme Mulcahy

Padraig mannion would have a good chance too.

I'd say it's between Mulcahy, canning, p mannion, hannon, lynch or duggan.

Kyle Hayes maybe too.. he a a very good year and an amazing all Ireland final, but the players I listed above were motm contendors in every single game the played. Joe in particular was fantastic. In a year when Galway couldn't seem to get into gear Joe reverted to his age ols form of almost single handedly winning clutch matches for them.(almost)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

No one outstanding player. For me one of Graeme Mulcahy, Padraig Mannion or Eoin Murphy. Speaking of Murphy, did a goalkeeper ever get Hurler of the Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Grats wrote: »
    No one outstanding player. For me one of Graeme Mulcahy, Padraig Mannion or Eoin Murphy. Speaking of Murphy, did a goalkeeper ever get Hurler of the Year?

Ger Cunningham from Cork got it. 1986 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Canning was outstanding. A (sideline) cut above the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Canning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Cian Lynch was hurler of the year. He makes Limerick tick and was outstanding again in the final.

I don’t get the media love in with Mannion. I didn’t think he was that good that he should have got the vote of every member of the Sunday Game panel. It looked like when two or three of them said his name that the rest just agreed. It’s the same with the wider media, it’s almost as if they’re saying “well everyone else nominated him as hurler of the year so I’ll do it too”.

There’s no way he was that good that he got the vote off that many “experts”. He was solid all year but in a year with so many high scoring and free flowing games - I don’t think he was the standout player. The likes of Lynch, Canning and Hayes were direct contributors from attacking positions to the exciting games that we witnessed all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Motivator wrote: »
    Cian Lynch was hurler of the year. He makes Limerick tick and was outstanding again in the final.

I don’t get the media love in with Mannion. I didn’t think he was that good that he should have got the vote of every member of the Sunday Game panel. It looked like when two or three of them said his name that the rest just agreed. It’s the same with the wider media, it’s almost as if they’re saying “well everyone else nominated him as hurler of the year so I’ll do it too”.

There’s no way he was that good that he got the vote off that many “experts”. He was solid all year but in a year with so many high scoring and free flowing games - I don’t think he was the standout player. The likes of Lynch, Canning and Hayes were direct contributors from attacking positions to the exciting games that we witnessed all year.

They did that with McInerney too last year and he wasn't even nominated in the end. Which I couldn't understand as I thought some of the Sunday Game pundits were on the panel that nominated the players for it!

They did that with McInerney too last year and he wasn't even nominated in the end. Which I couldn't understand as I thought some of the Sunday Game pundits were on the panel that nominated the players for it!

You’re right actually, I think Daly gave it to Jamie Barron but the rest rowed in behind McInerney. I think Graeme Mulcahy has been voted for by Tommy Walsh and a few others so I’d say he will make the final three this year. I think it will Mannion, Mulcahy and Lynch. Although they should do away with the “final 3” scenario as it will encourage a split vote. Make a final four and make it fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Although I think either Lynch or Mulcahy deserve it I think they will give it to Mannion to keep the losers of the final sweet. Kyle hayes has the young hurler award boxed off.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Although I think either Lynch or Mulcahy deserve it I think they will give it to Mannion to keep the losers of the final sweet. Kyle hayes has the young hurler award boxed off.

It doesn’t work like that, if it did then Jamie Barron would have got it last year based on keeping people happy. Although, he deserved it full stop last year. Canning getting it was a joke - he wasn’t even the best Galway hurler last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Graeme Mulcahy or Joe Canning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Cian Lynch or Peter duggan.

Also think that mannion should not be in the discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

John Conlon deserves a nomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Mannion was that good, by a mile Galway's most consistent player, even ahead of Canning. MOTM v KK in Salthill, excellent in all group games, excellent again in the Thurles matches. Final was his only poorish match. He'd be a thoroughly deserving winner. Lynch blew hot and cold, as did Mulcahy on occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

MfMan wrote: »
    Mannion was that good, by a mile Galway's most consistent player, even ahead of Canning. MOTM v KK in Salthill, excellent in all group games, excellent again in the Thurles matches. Final was his only poorish match. He'd be a thoroughly deserving winner. Lynch blew hot and cold, as did Mulcahy on occasion.

Mulcahy was Limericks most consistent forward all year as well as scoring key clutch points in almost every game. Agree that Cian Lynch blew hot and cold. I don’t even think he was Limericks best midfielder. Darragh O’Donovan is the most underrated player on the Limerick team. He was immense all year. He was subbed most games as part of a plan where he ran himself into the ground for 60 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

It doesn’t work like that, if it did then Jamie Barron would have got it last year based on keeping people happy. Although, he deserved it full stop last year. Canning getting it was a joke - he wasn’t even the best Galway hurler last year.
    Won the all Ireland fir Galway . Stood up and counted v tipp when it really mattered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

eurokev wrote: »

Also think that mannion should not be in the discussion

You obviously dont watch much hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

slegs wrote: »
    Mulcahy was Limericks most consistent forward all year as well as scoring key clutch points in almost every game. Agree that Cian Lynch blew hot and cold. I don’t even think he was Limericks best midfielder. Darragh O’Donovan is the most underrated player on the Limerick team. He was immense all year. He was subbed most games as part of a plan where he ran himself into the ground for 60 mins

agree with that lynch had the name and the pedigree but o donovan did the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Gael85 wrote: »
    John Conlon deserves a nomination.

Most definitely. he was the main driving force for Clare, outstanding in every game. Mannion is hot favourite with the bookies, had a great year but wasn't overwhelming in the final. the 'pundits' had touted him for POTY even before the Leinster final.:confused:
    Being biased (but honest), for me, Mulcahy was the outstanding player in every game he played bar the debacle in Ennis, when he was sacrificed after Condon's red card. when Limerick were under pressure, he was the player that stood out and benefited hugely under Kiely's system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I'd go for Darragh Fitzgibbon for Young Player of the Year - really contributed to Cork's run to the semi-final. Kyle Hayes was excellent in final but overall Fitzgibbon was more consistent.

Does anyone know does the league performances count for much re: All Stars? Do they have to include the league games on a say 70% championship and 30% league performance in giving All Stars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Does anyone know does the league performances count for much re: All Stars? Do they have to include the league games on a say 70% championship and 30% league performance in giving All Stars?

They say they do, but you'd have to question it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Mulcahy?? Wtf can think of half a dozen limerick players more deserving, I’ll bet you next year when the opposition focus on him being a danger man he will be found out as the limited player he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

They say they do, but you'd have to question it.

Yeah, be interesting to see how the All Stars actually work.

Best way would be to get a player a rating (secretly) after every game and then add them up at the end, although more weight given to the championship games (need some maths formula).

But probably too much work in the above etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

leestone wrote: »
    Mulcahy?? Wtf can think of half a dozen limerick players more deserving, I’ll bet you next year when the opposition focus on him being a danger man he will be found out as the limited player he is

Considering he scored 4 points in first round v tipp something similar v cork and Waterford only bad game he had was v Clare which the whole team were bad also he'd a fine game v Kk massive v cork in semi plus scored the winner amongst other scores in final v Galway now considering Limerick played almost all of the serious hurling counties this yr you'd have thought the opposition had focused on him but he still came up with the goods. He might not be hurler of the yr nationally but for me it's either him or lynch maybe Flanagan for me for limericks poty.

The Sunday games analysts all giving it to mannion was joke imo a fine hurler no doubt but join the q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mannion was pretty much outstanding in all the games he played bar maybe the final which is why he's so high up in the betting. If you are giving the award for consistency he has to go close by any metric. Not like he was bad in the final either just quieter than his previous displays.

Had Galway won the final he would have walked hurler of the year IMO but once they lost it the question always seems to arise that should it not go to a player from the winning county?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Canning

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Canning

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Kyle Hayes was excellent and had a great year but for me Darragh Fitzgibbon must be young hurler of the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone know where you'd find the top scorers from play in this year's championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

It's very hard to call it, I've money on Mannion since QF but personally I wouldn't pick him as HOTY even though he's an excellent hurler.
    For me the hurler of the year would have to someone that frequently performs a spectacular feat in an individual capacity during the game, something that get you out of your seat, something that says F..k this I'm taking over here, as well as giving an 8 out of 10 performance during the game, 2018 I'm thinking of Cian Lynch, Kyle Hayes, John Flanagan,Joe Canning, Daithi Burke, David Burke, Peter Duggan, John Conlon, Darrragh Fitzgibbon, Mark Coleman, Seamus Harnedy,TJ Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

On that score joe wins by a mile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Who may I ask are ''they''?

LMK wrote: »
    It's very hard to call it, I've money on Mannion since QF but personally I wouldn't pick him as HOTY even though he's an excellent hurler.
    For me the hurler of the year would have to someone that frequently performs a spectacular feat in an individual capacity during the game, something that get you out of your seat, something that says F..k this I'm taking over here, as well as giving an 8 out of 10 performance during the game, 2018 I'm thinking of Cian Lynch, Kyle Hayes, John Flanagan,Joe Canning, Daithi Burke, David Burke, Peter Duggan, John Conlon, Darrragh Fitzgibbon, Mark Coleman, Seamus Harnedy,TJ Reid.

Eoin Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

LMK wrote: »
    For me the hurler of the year would have to someone that frequently performs a spectacular feat in an individual capacity during the game, something that get you out of your seat, something that says F..k this I'm taking over here.

I agree entirely with this logic which is why I’ll risk ridicule from you all and suggest Shane Dowling at the HOTY for 2018. In really key moments in both the semi and the final (only two touches, one of which was - for me - an amazingly clever finish), he basically dictated the destination of the Liam McCarthy. I’d think of what Dowling did this year in the same way as what Donaghy did for Kerry in 2014, or Cantona for Man Utd in 1995-96. Incomplete seasons all, but both majestic and decisive in the minutes they did play ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So it’s between canning, mannion and Cian lynch.

Personally think Canning should get it but can’t see it happening. Don’t even think Lynch was in limericks top 3 players of the year. I would have had the Morrisey brothers and Mulcahy at least ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'm surprised to see Lynch nominated. Played really well but felt other Limerick players were ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Everyone on the Sunday Game panel went for Mannion but for me it would be Canning, he was a real leader this year and some of his scores were incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I can see why Lynch was nominated - he's Limerick's marquee player and was quite consistent this year. Put in a solid shift in his games and is Limerick's most skilful player and had a great game against Waterford (though Waterford gave Limerick far too much respect that day).

Thought Mulcahy was Limerick's most crucial player (along with O'Donovan) and dug us out of a hole a good few times especially against Cork in the semi final - we had gone out of the game midway through the first half and he got three quick fire points.

Out of that trio, I'd award it to Joe - his sideline against Clare in front of ardán uí Rian was real cometh the man stuff (Galway would have lost that game without him) and had a big second half against Limerick too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭jacool

I watched all Galway's games and up to his injury Mannion was unbelievable.
    Joe was immense in the final and brought Galway way closer than they should have been.
    just saw All Star nominations out and all players mentioned here are in I think. 15 nominated from Limerick.
    Interesting to see how they get on.
    Last year Galway lost once, won the league, Leinster and the All-Ireland and got 7 All Stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭MattressRick

luckyboy wrote: »
    I agree entirely with this logic which is why I’ll risk ridicule from you all and suggest Shane Dowling at the HOTY for 2018. In really key moments in both the semi and the final (only two touches, one of which was - for me - an amazingly clever finish), he basically dictated the destination of the Liam McCarthy. I’d think of what Dowling did this year in the same way as what Donaghy did for Kerry in 2014, or Cantona for Man Utd in 1995-96. Incomplete seasons all, but both majestic and decisive in the minutes they did play ...

Dowling mi**** his shot for the goal in the final did he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Dowling mi**** his shot for the goal in the final did he not?
    The way he bounced it down into the ground? I thought that was 100% deliberate to take the goalie out of the equation. Having seen the tricks Shane can do, and the ball control he has generally, I just assumed it was deliberate?

The way he bounced it down into the ground? I thought that was 100% deliberate to take the goalie out of the equation. Having seen the tricks Shane can do, and the ball control he has generally, I just assumed it was deliberate?

The bounce was so big and high it took so much power outta the shot that I thought he topped it

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

In that incident Mannion's hurley "hooked" Dowling during his swing - check the replays to see it..
    It should have been a yellow card for Mannion for throwing the hurley, and he already had a yellow onboard.. all's well that ends well but if the result had been different then not gaining a man advantage on 70 minutes with 8 point differential the ref would have taken a bit of heat...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Joe all the way - performed better this year than last, with all the pressure and attention he gets and he delivers when it is needed - that is the definition of greatness and he is that in spades

Mulcahy should have been nominated and voted Hurler of the year. On Final day performance alone he played his heart out from beginning to end. On the contrary, Canning only came alive in the last 15 minutes or so when Limerick lost two from the full back line and the forwards lost the run of themselves. Cannings body language for a lot of the match wasn't that of a potential HOTY. In fact on 3 occasions a Galway selector had to go onto the pitch to get him going.

If it's to be a Galway player, it has to be Mannion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

Graeme Mulcahy would be my choice for HOTY too. A very intelligent player - almost every ball he got during the year was used intelligently. Great that a lad shows that you don't have to be 6'2" to be a super hurler.

Mulcahy should have been nominated and voted Hurler of the year. On Final day performance alone he played his heart out from beginning to end. On the contrary, Canning only came alive in the last 15 minutes or so when Limerick lost two from the full back line and the forwards lost the run of themselves. Cannings body language for a lot of the match wasn't that of a potential HOTY. In fact on 3 occasions a Galway selector had to go onto the pitch to get him going.

If it's to be a Galway player, it has to be Mannion.

How do you know the selector was trying to motivate him? I don't believe canning needs motivation in an all Ireland final. Selectors come on geeing lads up regardless, fist pumping and all that. It doesn't mean canning needed it.

How do you know the selector was trying to motivate him? I don't believe canning needs motivation in an all Ireland final. Selectors come on geeing lads up regardless, fist pumping and all that. It doesn't mean canning needed it.

For those sitting in the Hogan Stand it was plainly obvious. And worrying for Galway in the first half when Canning was struggling badly and clearly needed geeing up. His body language said it all.

For those sitting in the Hogan Stand it was plainly obvious. And worrying for Galway in the first half when Canning was struggling badly and clearly needed geeing up. His body language said it all.

I was there too and didn't notice any of this supposed poor body language apart from the fact that nearly every ball was aimed down on Johnny Glynn, the Galway backs weren't seeking canning out so it's hard to blame a lad for not being involved when he's getting bypassed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement