Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurler of the year 2018?

• 01-09-2018 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

Graeme Mulcahy

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

slegs wrote: »
    Graeme Mulcahy

Padraig mannion would have a good chance too.

I'd say it's between Mulcahy, canning, p mannion, hannon, lynch or duggan.

Kyle Hayes maybe too.. he a a very good year and an amazing all Ireland final, but the players I listed above were motm contendors in every single game the played. Joe in particular was fantastic. In a year when Galway couldn't seem to get into gear Joe reverted to his age ols form of almost single handedly winning clutch matches for them.(almost)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Grats

No one outstanding player. For me one of Graeme Mulcahy, Padraig Mannion or Eoin Murphy. Speaking of Murphy, did a goalkeeper ever get Hurler of the Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

Grats wrote: »
    No one outstanding player. For me one of Graeme Mulcahy, Padraig Mannion or Eoin Murphy. Speaking of Murphy, did a goalkeeper ever get Hurler of the Year?

Ger Cunningham from Cork got it. 1986 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Canning was outstanding. A (sideline) cut above the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Canning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

Cian Lynch was hurler of the year. He makes Limerick tick and was outstanding again in the final.

I don’t get the media love in with Mannion. I didn’t think he was that good that he should have got the vote of every member of the Sunday Game panel. It looked like when two or three of them said his name that the rest just agreed. It’s the same with the wider media, it’s almost as if they’re saying “well everyone else nominated him as hurler of the year so I’ll do it too”.

There’s no way he was that good that he got the vote off that many “experts”. He was solid all year but in a year with so many high scoring and free flowing games - I don’t think he was the standout player. The likes of Lynch, Canning and Hayes were direct contributors from attacking positions to the exciting games that we witnessed all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Motivator wrote: »
    Cian Lynch was hurler of the year. He makes Limerick tick and was outstanding again in the final.

I don’t get the media love in with Mannion. I didn’t think he was that good that he should have got the vote of every member of the Sunday Game panel. It looked like when two or three of them said his name that the rest just agreed. It’s the same with the wider media, it’s almost as if they’re saying “well everyone else nominated him as hurler of the year so I’ll do it too”.

There’s no way he was that good that he got the vote off that many “experts”. He was solid all year but in a year with so many high scoring and free flowing games - I don’t think he was the standout player. The likes of Lynch, Canning and Hayes were direct contributors from attacking positions to the exciting games that we witnessed all year.

They did that with McInerney too last year and he wasn't even nominated in the end. Which I couldn't understand as I thought some of the Sunday Game pundits were on the panel that nominated the players for it!

They did that with McInerney too last year and he wasn't even nominated in the end. Which I couldn't understand as I thought some of the Sunday Game pundits were on the panel that nominated the players for it!

You’re right actually, I think Daly gave it to Jamie Barron but the rest rowed in behind McInerney. I think Graeme Mulcahy has been voted for by Tommy Walsh and a few others so I’d say he will make the final three this year. I think it will Mannion, Mulcahy and Lynch. Although they should do away with the “final 3” scenario as it will encourage a split vote. Make a final four and make it fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭billyhead

Although I think either Lynch or Mulcahy deserve it I think they will give it to Mannion to keep the losers of the final sweet. Kyle hayes has the young hurler award boxed off.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Although I think either Lynch or Mulcahy deserve it I think they will give it to Mannion to keep the losers of the final sweet. Kyle hayes has the young hurler award boxed off.

It doesn’t work like that, if it did then Jamie Barron would have got it last year based on keeping people happy. Although, he deserved it full stop last year. Canning getting it was a joke - he wasn’t even the best Galway hurler last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Graeme Mulcahy or Joe Canning.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭eurokev

Cian Lynch or Peter duggan.

Also think that mannion should not be in the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Gael85

John Conlon deserves a nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Mannion was that good, by a mile Galway's most consistent player, even ahead of Canning. MOTM v KK in Salthill, excellent in all group games, excellent again in the Thurles matches. Final was his only poorish match. He'd be a thoroughly deserving winner. Lynch blew hot and cold, as did Mulcahy on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

MfMan wrote: »
    Mannion was that good, by a mile Galway's most consistent player, even ahead of Canning. MOTM v KK in Salthill, excellent in all group games, excellent again in the Thurles matches. Final was his only poorish match. He'd be a thoroughly deserving winner. Lynch blew hot and cold, as did Mulcahy on occasion.

Mulcahy was Limericks most consistent forward all year as well as scoring key clutch points in almost every game. Agree that Cian Lynch blew hot and cold. I don’t even think he was Limericks best midfielder. Darragh O’Donovan is the most underrated player on the Limerick team. He was immense all year. He was subbed most games as part of a plan where he ran himself into the ground for 60 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

It doesn’t work like that, if it did then Jamie Barron would have got it last year based on keeping people happy. Although, he deserved it full stop last year. Canning getting it was a joke - he wasn’t even the best Galway hurler last year.
    Won the all Ireland fir Galway . Stood up and counted v tipp when it really mattered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Robson99

eurokev wrote: »

Also think that mannion should not be in the discussion

You obviously dont watch much hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raindodger

slegs wrote: »
    Mulcahy was Limericks most consistent forward all year as well as scoring key clutch points in almost every game. Agree that Cian Lynch blew hot and cold. I don’t even think he was Limericks best midfielder. Darragh O’Donovan is the most underrated player on the Limerick team. He was immense all year. He was subbed most games as part of a plan where he ran himself into the ground for 60 mins

agree with that lynch had the name and the pedigree but o donovan did the business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Gael85 wrote: »
    John Conlon deserves a nomination.

Most definitely. he was the main driving force for Clare, outstanding in every game. Mannion is hot favourite with the bookies, had a great year but wasn't overwhelming in the final. the 'pundits' had touted him for POTY even before the Leinster final.:confused:
    Being biased (but honest), for me, Mulcahy was the outstanding player in every game he played bar the debacle in Ennis, when he was sacrificed after Condon's red card. when Limerick were under pressure, he was the player that stood out and benefited hugely under Kiely's system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I'd go for Darragh Fitzgibbon for Young Player of the Year - really contributed to Cork's run to the semi-final. Kyle Hayes was excellent in final but overall Fitzgibbon was more consistent.

Does anyone know does the league performances count for much re: All Stars? Do they have to include the league games on a say 70% championship and 30% league performance in giving All Stars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Does anyone know does the league performances count for much re: All Stars? Do they have to include the league games on a say 70% championship and 30% league performance in giving All Stars?

They say they do, but you'd have to question it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Mulcahy?? Wtf can think of half a dozen limerick players more deserving, I’ll bet you next year when the opposition focus on him being a danger man he will be found out as the limited player he is

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

They say they do, but you'd have to question it.

Yeah, be interesting to see how the All Stars actually work.

Best way would be to get a player a rating (secretly) after every game and then add them up at the end, although more weight given to the championship games (need some maths formula).

But probably too much work in the above etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭lim4ev

leestone wrote: »
    Mulcahy?? Wtf can think of half a dozen limerick players more deserving, I’ll bet you next year when the opposition focus on him being a danger man he will be found out as the limited player he is

Considering he scored 4 points in first round v tipp something similar v cork and Waterford only bad game he had was v Clare which the whole team were bad also he'd a fine game v Kk massive v cork in semi plus scored the winner amongst other scores in final v Galway now considering Limerick played almost all of the serious hurling counties this yr you'd have thought the opposition had focused on him but he still came up with the goods. He might not be hurler of the yr nationally but for me it's either him or lynch maybe Flanagan for me for limericks poty.

The Sunday games analysts all giving it to mannion was joke imo a fine hurler no doubt but join the q

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mannion was pretty much outstanding in all the games he played bar maybe the final which is why he's so high up in the betting. If you are giving the award for consistency he has to go close by any metric. Not like he was bad in the final either just quieter than his previous displays.

Had Galway won the final he would have walked hurler of the year IMO but once they lost it the question always seems to arise that should it not go to a player from the winning county?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Canning

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Canning

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

Kyle Hayes was excellent and had a great year but for me Darragh Fitzgibbon must be young hurler of the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone know where you'd find the top scorers from play in this year's championship?

Advertisement