Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sham09

Guys, I want to buy Facebook shares using my Degiro account. When I search for "Facebook" or "FB" in Degiro I am getting multiple options. I presume I should be looking at the main stock traded on the NASDAQ (number 2 on the attached list)- can anyone give me a steer? Screenshot attached for ref. Cheers!noAy18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

sham09 wrote: »
    Guys, I want to buy Facebook shares using my Degiro account. When I search for "Facebook" or "FB" in Degiro I am getting multiple options. I presume I should be looking at the main stock traded on the NASDAQ (number 2 on the attached list)- can anyone give me a steer? Screenshot attached for ref. Cheers!noAy18
    No screenshot here.

Search FB. That is the ticker you should be buying in USD if you want Facebook shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dickface

sham09 wrote: »

The one that just says Facebook, not the one that has CFD in the name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Does DeGiro pay interest on cash balances ?

The website is clear as mud when it comes to this.

https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/safety/1125#2148/how-is-my-money-kept-with-degiro

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dickface

https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/safety/1125#2148/how-is-my-money-kept-with-degiro

Yes but it's currently negative :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Eloise Harsh Stream

Hello all. Just finding my feet with degiro so please be gentle.

I've managed to make a trade using the limit order function so happy with that bit. My question is if I wanted to buy say an apple share at 1000 quid, do I have to have a 1000 in my account, or can I pay a portion of a share. I can't seem to get that to work.

Also, with regards to dividends, how do you specify in degiro what you want done with them. Ideally I would like them reinvested without having to worry about it. Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hello all. Just finding my feet with degiro so please be gentle.

I've managed to make a trade using the limit order function so happy with that bit. My question is if I wanted to buy say an apple share at 1000 quid, do I have to have a 1000 in my account, or can I pay a portion of a share. I can't seem to get that to work.

Also, with regards to dividends, how do you specify in degiro what you want done with them. Ideally I would like them reinvested without having to worry about it. Thanks.

You have to buy full shares. You can't buy a portion of a share. DeGiro will just put the dividends into your account. There is no re-investment option with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Recent email I got from them. Currently negative interest rates with Degiro compensating for the loss at the moment.
    New money market funds

As you know, DEGIRO does not hold the money of clients. Your funds are automatically invested into money market funds. In order to avoid a potential misinterpretation of the new regulation, DEGIRO has deemed it best to also offer money market funds that are managed by an administrator outside of the holding of which DEGIRO is also a part. Therefore, we will add the money market funds of Morgan Stanley Investment Management, funds which are significantly larger in size compared to the current money market funds, to serve this purpose. Morgan Stanley is one of the biggest business banks worldwide and the Morgan Stanley Liquidity Funds are qualified money market funds with an AAA rating.

In the upcoming weeks, there will be a task added to your account, requesting your approval for the Morgan Stanley Liquidity Funds as a replacement to the current FundShare money market funds.

What are the consequences?
    As soon as the task is available in your account, we will inform you via email. As the return of the funds can develop differently, your choice for this task is important for your results. Additionally, there will be a different compensation structure for the EUR money market funds:

Full compensation: Morgan Stanley Euro money market fund
    If you choose to invest in the Morgan Stanley Liquidity Funds, any possible negative return of the Morgan Stanley EUR Liquidity Fund will be compensated by DEGIRO.

Providing the compensation is done on a fully voluntary basis by DEGIRO and is done only for the negative result as a consequence of the current interest rate. DEGIRO is not obligated to do so and can change or cancel the compensation at any time. DEGIRO will certainly notify you in timely fashion about possible changes.

No compensation: FundShare Euro money market fund
    With the addition of the money market funds from Morgan Stanly Investment Management, DEGIRO has decided to no longer compensate the negative returns of the FundShare money market funds.
    The aforementioned changes will come into effect two weeks after the task appears in your account.

In addition
    If you qualify for compensation, it will be paid out to you on a quarterly basis. Depending on whether your DEGIRO account balance is negative or positive, this compensation will be paid to you as a deposit on your trading account or as a direct money transfer to your nominated bank account, respectively. This will be the case for money market funds in all currencies. We want to stress that DEGIRO, as well as the holding company behind DEGIRO, in no way receives any (financial) benefits (inducement) from Morgan Stanley Investment Management for the selection of these money market funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Porter Vast Silk

Anyone else having issues transferring via Trustly from AIB? Has worked for the past year but getting an error message today.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Anyone else having issues transferring via Trustly from AIB? Has worked for the past year but getting an error message today.

Used AIB and Trustly last week, no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Daveone

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Recent email I got from them. Currently negative interest rates with Degiro compensating for the loss at the moment.

Can anyone translate this to English for the laymen among us?

Daveone wrote: »
    Can anyone translate this to English for the laymen among us?

The cash balance that you currently hold with Degiro is invested in a cash fund and is not sitting in a bank account. If the performance of that fund declines below your current cash balance figure, Degiro compensate you for the loss.

If you log onto the platform you should be given a choice. Stay in the Degiro cash fund and lose this compensation option (i.e. if their cash fund performs poorly, you will bear the brunt of this loss) or move your cash balance over to a Morgan Stanley cash fund and retain the compensation option.

Yeah sorry, negative interest rates don't come into it at all really.

I got this option today. Wouldn't allow me to continue without making a decision. Seems like a no brainer for me to go with the Morgan Stanley fund. Only have a hundred or so quid in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

Looking to upgrade my account to an active account, has anyone does this? Is there fees for being an active account or anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    The cash balance that you currently hold with Degiro is invested in a cash fund and is not sitting in a bank account. If the performance of that fund declines below your current cash balance figure, Degiro compensate you for the loss.

If you log onto the platform you should be given a choice. Stay in the Degiro cash fund and lose this compensation option (i.e. if their cash fund performs poorly, you will bear the brunt of this loss) or move your cash balance over to a Morgan Stanley cash fund and retain the compensation option.

Yeah sorry, negative interest rates don't come into it at all really.

I got this option today. Wouldn't allow me to continue without making a decision. Seems like a no brainer for me to go with the Morgan Stanley fund. Only have a hundred or so quid in cash.

What if the cash fund performs well?

Are there any extra charges if you agree to transfer over to Morgan Stanley? Like would the transfer be seamless and you could just carry on as normal without really noticing?

Edit: I was albe to click the 'worry about it later' button and get in to my account today.

What if the cash fund performs well?

Are there any extra charges if you agree to transfer over to Morgan Stanley? Like would the transfer be seamless and you could just carry on as normal without really noticing?

Edit: I was albe to click the 'worry about it later' button and get in to my account today.

It's just like any other share or ETF that you are invested in. The value of your "cash" goes up.

Morgan Stanley Money Market Funds|Return per June 2018|Compensation|Return for client after changes
    EUR|-0.51%|0.51%|0%
    USD|+2.05%|0%|+2.05%
    GBP|+0.45%|0%|+0.45%

FundShare Money Market Funds|Return per June 2018|Compensation|Return for client after changes
    EUR|-0.642%|0%|-0.642%
    USD|+2.058%|0%|+2.058%
    GBP|+0.462%|0%|+0.462%

So essentially if you didn't move over to the Morgan Stanley cash fund for June (if the compensation was over at that point) your euro cash balance would be 0.642% less than what it was at the start of the month.

What costs are associated with a money market fund?
    There are no costs associated with the buying and selling of participations in the money market funds. The management fee for the money market funds is included in the fund return. More information about the compensation for a negative return as a result of management costs and negative market interest can be found below.

So based on the above you can see that Morgan Stanley are probably taking a minuscule bit off the top but by making the change over to them you are protecting yourself against the downside of loosing out on the compensation payments that we have now lost with Degiros money market funds.

https://www.degiro.ie/about-degiro/cashfunds.html?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tod1982

I want to include a stop loss when buying, how do I do this on DeGiro? My understanding of a stop loss was that I set a price at which I wanted to sell if it fell to that level. Is this not correct?
    I am trying to buy a stock that has a current price of $9.90 - i put stop loss price as $9.00 and quantity of shares as 100. 
    I got an error to say that 9000 was less than current bid of 9900
    Can anyone explain how to complete a stop loss order on DeGiro?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

tod1982 wrote: »
    I want to include a stop loss when buying, how do I do this on DeGiro? My understanding of a stop loss was that I set a price at which I wanted to sell if it fell to that level. Is this not correct?
    I am trying to buy a stock that has a current price of $9.90 - i put stop loss price as $9.00 and quantity of shares as 100. 
    Thanks

You don't put a stop loss on when buying, you put it on once you own it.

tod1982 wrote: »
    Thanks

Are you buying or selling? You have used both in your comment above.

To me it sounds like you want to place a Limit Buy Order. With your limit set at $9. When the stock drops from $9.90 to $9, Degiro will do their best to settle your order before the duration that you have set.

A stop loss is for when you currently hold a position and you're selling or else you are shorting a stock that you want to buy back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've gone to use Trustly a couple of times but always stopped when it got to the stage of them asking for my Ulsterbank log in details. Are they safe?

I've ended up just sending money myself from Ulsterbank and waiting the couple of days.

What happens if you deposit more than €200 too? I tend to put €1k in at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Porter Vast Silk

Wheety wrote: »
    I've gone to use Trustly a couple of times but always stopped when it got to the stage of them asking for my Ulsterbank log in details. Are they safe?

I've ended up just sending money myself from Ulsterbank and waiting the couple of days.

What happens if you deposit more than €200 too? I tend to put €1k in at a time.

I use it every few days, it's safe. For the larger amounts the standard transfer is better (and cheaper).

• Advertisement

I use it every few days, it's safe. For the larger amounts the standard transfer is better (and cheaper).

I just find it strange and against every bone in my body which says not to share banking log in details.

It asks for my online id and password and a specific 2 numbers from my passcode. Why do they need to actually log into my account to transfer money? If my account was emptied, I'd feel pretty stupid asking Ulsterbank to refund it. Their first question would be if I gave my log in details to anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

I just find it strange and against every bone in my body which says not to share banking log in details.

It asks for my online id and password and a specific 2 numbers from my passcode. Why do they need to actually log into my account to transfer money? If my account was emptied, I'd feel pretty stupid asking Ulsterbank to refund it. Their first question would be if I gave my log in details to anyone else.

Never in a month of Sundays would I, neither should you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

That's Verify by Visa, not Trustly...

Taylor365 wrote: »
    That's Verify by Visa, not Trustly...
    Nope.

u2tsFUl.jpg

xXxiypJ.jpg

Giving this information would allow someone to log into my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I have 3 euro in my cash fund. What exactly is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dubliner999

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I have 3 euro in my cash fund. What exactly is that?

Dividends?

Dividends?

How do I spend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I don't think it's dividends. My cash fund is my cash balance.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I don't think it's dividends. My cash fund is my cash balance.

i have cash fund of 3.16 and available to trade of 3.53

• Advertisement

Another question.I am trying to lodge funds for the first time since my initial deposit. The BIC is slightly different on the address now...but it uses the same name and says I can't add the payee again. If I send to the other address will it send?

Advertisement