Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Trasna1 wrote:
    Hardly a surprise when Catholics consider the seal of the confessional absolutely sacrosanct.

Protection of children should be their first priority but it's the Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Most people I know watched to see how poor the turn out at the event was. The way one would watch a freak show really.

Not much going on with your life to spend a Sunday afternoon doing this as your hobby.

Not much going on with your life to spend a Sunday afternoon doing this as your hobby.

52 Sundays in a year. Frank was only here for one of them . One Sunday hardly constitutes a hobby. Very poor attempt at having a dig at someone. Try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Hobby suggests something that happens on a continuum, cant see it ever being a hobby, in fact I doubt the pontiff will be back for a long long time since this visit was such a PR disaster for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Protection of children should be their first priority but it's the Catholic church.

Then it wouldn't be logical to confess it in confession if you knew the priest was obliged to inform the civil authorities.
    Their argument is that if they hear it in confidence in the confessional they can convince the person to hand themselves in, or own up. If they don't hear about it they can't do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Then it wouldn't be logical to confess it in confession if you knew the priest was obliged to inform the civil authorities.
    Their argument is that if they hear it in confidence in the confessional they can convince the person to hand themselves in, or own up. If they don't hear about it they can't do anything.

The words logical and confession should never been in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Strazdas wrote: »
    Just been looking at the RTE ratings for last weekend

Average of 535,000 viewers watched the full Papal Mass from Phoenix Park with a peak audience of 1.1m viewers.

Average of 379,000 viewers watched the four hour Festival of Families event at Croke Park on RTE2 on Saturday evening, with a peak audience of 570,000 viewers.

Those figures are pretty decent, probably higher than people might have anticipated.

I was channel surfing on saturday night and found it on BBC NI, then spotted it on RTE1/2, then found it on Sky News.
    I kept switching back and over to check it was same translator.
    Then watched for a bit to check out how the stadium looked.
    Thankfully didn't come across the Daniel O'D part.

I haven't a fecking idea what he was talking about, but he had some family from somewhere on stage at one point.

Have to say Croker looked okish in the dark, but the corporate box section came across as too bright.
    Overall I think it looked better for the opening of Special Olympics.

So do I count as one of the zealous viewers even if watched just about 15 minutes of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The RCC:

3-monkey-see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-ipad-23-case.jpg

Trasna1 wrote:
    Then it wouldn't be logical to confess it in confession if you knew the priest was obliged to inform the civil authorities. Their argument is that if they hear it in confidence in the confessional they can convince the person to hand themselves in, or own up. If they don't hear about it they can't do anything.

Even outside of the confessional they stayed quiet about abuse. So that bs doesn't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jmayo wrote: »
    s.

So do I count as one of the zealous viewers even if watched just about 15 minutes of it ?
    You count as 5 of them, as you flipped over and back.
    Knowing the propaganda machine that is RtÉ I wouldnt be surprised

• Advertisement

Hardly a surprise when Catholics consider the seal of the confessional absolutely sacrosanct.

And value it above the safety of little children. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Flying Fox wrote: »
    And value it above the safety of little children. Disgusting.

In fairness it's a card you could only play once (telling the police what was heard in the confession box). Once word got out via the first court case that the confessional was no longer sacrosanct then no-one would ever tell the priest anything like this in confession.
    So it's not as if it would save lots of children from abuse.

In fairness it's a card you could only play once (telling the police what was heard in the confession box). Once word got out via the first court case that the confessional was no longer sacrosanct then no-one would ever tell the priest anything like this in confession.

Am saving one kid is far more important than the confessional remaining sacrosanct...Im sure you ll agree. If not why not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ELM327 wrote: »
    Knowing the propaganda machine that is RtÉ I wouldnt be surprised

that is not how TAM ratings work. They are not counting people actually watching. They have a representative panel of tv viewers and extrapolate their viewing into the viewing figures that are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

that is not how TAM ratings work. They are not counting people actually watching. They have a representative panel of tv viewers and extrapolate their viewing into the viewing figures that are released.

I don't think that was meant to be taken seriously

Maybe not loads but possibly some.

If these priests really believe the teachings of their church then they need to go to confession to be absolved of their sin. The alternative is burning in hell. Ridiculous obviously, but this is the church's teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sorry, I was joking.
    Then the data extrapolated is only as accurate as the panel of people who are selected

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sorry, I was joking.
    Then the data extrapolated is only as accurate as the panel of people who are selected

That is true but they've been doing it for a very long time and should be pretty good at it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Am saving one kid is far more important than the confessional remaining sacrosanct...Im sure you ll agree. If not why not ?

I don't particularly want to get into that, the 'if it saves one then whatever the price is it's worth paying' is a bit of a dead end debate.

What the Church/priests should do is make absolution dependent on the penitent actually going to the authorities, e.g., no more 'say 3 Hail Marys and you are forgiven', instead 'you are forgiven but only if you go to the police and explain it to them and let them decide if theres a criminal case to answer'.
    I think (as a happy agnostic I'm far from an expert on church matters) that this might already be the case for some crimes like murder.

I don't particularly want to get into that, the 'if it saves one then whatever the price is it's worth paying' is a bit of a dead end debate.

What the Church/priests should do is make absolution dependent on the penitent actually going to the authorities, e.g., no more 'say 3 Hail Marys and you are forgiven', instead 'you are forgiven but only if you go to the police and explain it to them and let them decide if theres a criminal case to answer'.
    I think (as a happy agnostic I'm far from an expert on church matters) that this might already be the case for some crimes like murder.

That Im afraid is the only debate when it comes to what you have suggested. For you to avoid it with a platitude like 'dead end debate' is disingenuous.

Never forget Lord Denning's quote regarding whether the Birmingham six should be given a retrial

'If they won, it would mean that the police were guilty of perjury; that they were guilty of violence and threats; that the confessions were involuntary and improperly admitted in evidence; and that the convictions were erroneous… That was such an appalling vista that every sensible person would say, ‘It cannot be right that these actions should go any further’.”

Once the institution/system wrongly sacrifices someone for the good of the system the system is in need of overhaul/undemocratic and corrupt, that s not a dead end argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

The RCC:

silly picture

How insightful :rolleyes:

How insightful :rolleyes:

And honest. However, honesty is not a strong requirement for the RCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was channel surfing on saturday night and found it on BBC NI, then spotted it on RTE1/2, then found it on Sky News.
    I kept switching back and over to check it was same translator.
    Then watched for a bit to check out how the stadium looked.
    Thankfully didn't come across the Daniel O'D part.

I haven't a fecking idea what he was talking about, but he had some family from somewhere on stage at one point.

Have to say Croker looked okish in the dark, but the corporate box section came across as too bright.
    Overall I think it looked better for the opening of Special Olympics.

I was talking to a relative who attended both this and the Phoenix Park one. He really enjoyed the Croker concert but thought the Park was a huge amount of hassle, walking for ages and he's not surprised many people chose to give it a miss on the day.

It seems everyone who was at Croke Park though had a good evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Knowing the propaganda machine that is RtI wouldnt be surprised

Ah feck it ...
    Maybe it's that Samsung Smart TV.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    I was talking to a relative who attended both this and the Phoenix Park one. He really enjoyed the Croker concert but thought the Park was a huge amount of hassle, walking for ages and he's not surprised many people chose to give it a miss on the day.

It seems everyone who was at Croke Park though had a good evening.

Ehh I have only two reason to go to Croker.
    One is match and the other is a concert.

Glad they had a good evening, but really there were a couple of elephants in the room or rather in the stadium.

One was they just had heterogeneous families and the other is that dragging our kids on stage or presumably talking about happy families is disingenuous in the extreme when the church and pope refuses to really acknowledge how they treated children and how they wrecked families.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,818 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ah feck it ...
    Maybe it's that Samsung Smart TV.

Ehh I have only two reason to go to Croker.
    One is match and the other is a concert.

Glad they had a good evening, but really there were a couple of elephants in the room or rather in the stadium.

One was they just had heterogeneous families and the other is that dragging our kids on stage or presumably talking about happy families is disingenuous in the extreme when the church and pope refuses to really acknowledge how they treated children and how they wrecked families.

I honestly don't know how Roman Catholics can sit in a stadium listening to plamás and patronising nonsense (frankly) from a pope with the image of a young child wearing a gold cross as a signal for other depraved priests in their heads. Or the shocking things involved in the reality of rape and abuse of children.
    I cannot get that detail out of my head since I heard it. How supposedly 'good and christian' people can defeats me. It really does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I honestly don't know how Roman Catholics can sit in a stadium listening to plamás and patronising nonsense (frankly) from a pope with the image of a young child wearing a gold cross as a signal for other depraved priests in their heads. Or the shocking things involved in the reality of rape and abuse of children.
    I cannot get that detail out of my head since I heard it. How supposedly 'good and christian' people can defeats me. It really does.

You'd be encouraging GA, SF and other former IRA members to come clean and name and let all authorities know of the sex abusers they had in their midst that they removed to live elsewhere in god knows where to live?

Edward M wrote: »
    You'd be encouraging GA, SF and other former IRA members to come clean and name and let all authorities know of the sex abusers they had in their midst that they removed to live elsewhere in god knows where to live?

I have consistently done that.
    Adams owned up to making a mistake in relation to his brother and testified against him. SF recognised their failings and were the first (Afaik) to put child protection measures in place. His brother is in jail, where he should be.

Are there any ongoing cases of abuse against the SF organisation? If there is, I call loudly for any information to be handed over.

I can understand human beings making judgement mistakes - I cannot understand what is happening in the Roman Catholic church though.

We got a pope, finally publicly stating that the abuse was wrong and abhorrent but zero on the Vatican's role in covering up and actively seeking to suppress.
    We had a pope publicly pontificating on these matters while a story of huge magnitude was breaking in yet another country. And all the while ordinary RC's were playing happy clappy, we love everyone in Croker and the Phoenix PArk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I have consistently done that.
    Adams owned up to making a mistake in relation to his brother and testified against him. SF recognised their failings and were the first (Afaik) to put child protection measures in place. His brother is in jail, where he should be.

Are there any ongoing cases of abuse against the SF organisation? If there is, I call loudly for any information to be handed over.

I can understand human beings making judgement mistakes - I cannot understand what is happening in the Roman Catholic church though.

We got a pope, finally publicly stating that the abuse was wrong and abhorrent but zero on the Vatican's role in covering up and actively seeking to suppress.
    We had a pope publicly pontificating on these matters while a story of huge magnitude was breaking in yet another country. And all the while ordinary RC's were playing happy clappy, we love everyone in Croker and the Phoenix PArk.

Sorry, I know of your posts regarding the defence of GA and SFs position on their issues with sexual abuse, and frankly your position and statements on here seem at odds with that.
    Thanks for your response anyway.

Edward M wrote: »
    Sorry, I know of your posts regarding the defence of GA and SFs position on their issues with sexual abuse, and frankly your position and statements on here seem at odds with that.
    Thanks for your response anyway.

If I ever condoned abuse or the cover up of abuse post a link to it.

Responding to somebody 'using abuse as a political stick' is a different thing. The same type of posters like to use selected victims of the conflict in the same sickening exploitative ways. But then, if you read those threads, you would know that.

• Advertisement

Distraction from the abuse fished out by the RCC. That’s what’s gong on here now.

Advertisement