Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The aircraft carrier U.S.S. Lexington provided power to Tacoma during a water shortage back in 1929

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Another "think about it" fact...

If you take 18 as the age of adulthood, then in 2018 all children were born in 21st century, and all adults were born in 20th century.
    This doesn't happen until 31st December this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Putting people in prison has a long history, but the concept of it being a longterm thing is not so recent a thing. In the ancient world imprisonment was nearly always a temporary state. Where an individual was awaiting trial, if they were lucky, even then usually a foregone verdict. Punishments in the ancient world were usually along the lines of; fines, exile, or execution.

The first recorded person who suggested long term, even life imprisonment was of all boyos, one Gaius Julius Caesar. Yeah him. It came about when a plot to take down Rome by one senator who had fallen on debt and hard times(whose name escapes :o) was opposed by another, one Cicero, the great orator. The plot was discovered and it went back and forth, as these things tend to, but the upshot was the rebels were found out, caught and rounded up. Our boyo Julius suggested life imprisonment for some of the perps, but this didn't foster much debate or sympathy and Cicero had them executed. His announcement to the people of Rome was one word; Vixere(sp?). "They lived", in the past tense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,264 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wibbs wrote: »
    Putting people in prison has a long history, but the concept of it being a longterm thing is not so recent a thing. In the ancient world imprisonment was nearly always a temporary state. Where an individual was awaiting trial, if they were lucky, even then usually a foregone verdict. Punishments in the ancient world were usually along the lines of; fines, exile, or execution.

The first recorded person who suggested long term, even life imprisonment was of all boyos, one Gaius Julius Caesar. Yeah him. It came about when a plot to take down Rome by one senator who had fallen on debt and hard times(whose name escapes :o) was opposed by another, one Cicero, the great orator. The plot was discovered and it went back and forth, as these things tend to, but the upshot was the rebels were found out, caught and rounded up. Our boyo Julius suggested life imprisonment for some of the perps, but this didn't foster much debate or sympathy and Cicero had them executed. His announcement to the people of Rome was one word; Vixere(sp?). "They lived", in the past tense.

more "'they have lived"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watching an interesting documentary from National Geographic about Area 51. Which we all know now was a testing and developmental facility of new aircraft back in the day.

Anyways, the Americans were developing stealth. So they had this long pole out in the middle of the desert floor with the shape of the new plane attached on top of it. Testing the shape of the plane, rotating it, bouncing radar off it... Testing and developing etc. Problem was the russians had already launched satellites over the United States at this point. So the Area 51 crew had information/intel of when the russian satellite passes over the horizon so it's time to bring the mock-up plane model back in.

Thing was... those crafty russians had some pretty smart people working for them. As years later Area 51 employees found out that the Russians knew the shape of the plane. How I may hear you ask? while the test plane was on the rotating pole it cast a shadow from the intense Navada sun. So the satellite picked up heat temperatures of the soil (as the casting shadow reduced heat) and were able to make out the shape of the plane. Despite never, even once, actually photographing the actual plane via satellite.

How bleeding smart do you have to be to come up with that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yea, so the year after 1BC is 1AD. So mathematically the 21c starts in 2001. But by general consensus its taken as 2000.
    There's no "general consensus" about this. As witness the fact that, whenever somebody posts on the basis that the 21st century started on 1 January 2000, someone else posts to contradict them, and a row ensues.
    BTW, when thinking about age we say the number of years we have completed. So when you are, say, 50 you are actually in your 51st year. But when talking about centuries its the other way round, eg the 1800s are the 19th century.
    That's not the other way around; it's exactly the same way. At 50 years and 6 months old you're halfway through your 51st year; in 1851 (ha!) you're halfway through the nineteenth century.

The population centre of the world is Almaty, Kazakhstan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

muzzle_brake_resize_md_40.jpg

You might have noticed this finicky little end bit on big guns - artillery, tank guns etc. It is called a muzzle brake and has a particular function.

As a shell moves up the barrel there is a tremendous explosive power in its wake driving it forward. This has an equal and opposite reaction also ie recoil. In the split second that the shell is at the end of the barrel and exiting the open side ducts of the muzzle brake provides lateral outlets for the explosive force converting a good deal of its energy perpendicular to the direction of the barrel. This reduces the kickback on the gun firing. Making the gun or tank more stable. Smoke and ballistic fumes are also driven out to the side. Where otherwise they go in front of the gun obscuring visibility for an immediate second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Q-Ships were a rather quirky defence mechanism used during the World Wars. Essentially, they were "dummy" ships that were disguised as harmless merchant vessels but had hidden heavy artillery inside used specifically to destroy U-Boats.

They were deployed in seas where U-boats were known to be active, and rather than waste their limited supply of torpedoes, the U-Boat were instead "encouraged" to surface and use their deck gun. To further the illusion that said ship didn't pose much of a threat, the crew would "abandon" ship dressed as civilian mariners. However, once the U-Boat was within firing range, the ship's panels would drop, revealing its own deck guns underneath and immediately open fire. At the same time, the White Ensign (the Royal Navy's internationally-recognised surrender flag) would be raised. With this element of surprise, the U-Boat could be quickly overwhelmed.

The word "Q-Ship" came from it's code-name which referred to the vessels' home port, Queenstown, which is modern-day Cobh. The Germans had their own name for it: "U-Boot-Falle" which translates as "U-Boat Trap". There is estimated to have been 366 such ships used during WW1 alone, with 61 lost. However, a post-war review concluded that they were over-rated, as they diverted skilled seamen from other important engagements without sinking enough U-Boats to justify the strategy. In all, about 10% of U-Boats were sunk using this method, which ranks far lower than the use of ordinary minefields in strike-rate.

The first known reference to Q-Ships dates back to 1670s when the HMS Kingfisher was deployed specifically to deal with Algerian pirates operating in the Mediterranean. And rather oddly, nearly 400 years later, they have been suggested as a possible measure by security experts to deal with the pirate problem off the Somalia coast.

Interestingly, one such schooner that served as a Q-Ship during WW1 was the Mary.B.Mitchell, but she had an entirely different fate after the war. In 1934 she was commissioned by the British International Film Company, and a year later "starred" as Mary Celeste in "The Mystery of the Mary Celeste", which was one of the earliest releases of Hammer Film Productions, which later become synomonous with Frankenstein, Dracula and other horror film classics.

Mary B. Mitchell ship.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

quickbeam wrote: »
    Didn't know that. Was reading Wiki on the dad and saw this of father and son from 1964 (Jim would have been 21):

300px-Bonhommerichard.jpg
    Mad, isn't it; one of the best known protesters of American involvement in Vietnam, and it was his da that helped dragged them in to it.
    Christmas dinner at the Morrisons gaff must have been a delight :pac:
    If it interests you there's a good book called Weird Scenes from the Canyon by Nick McGowan. The writer basically says that Jim Morrison and a number of other famous 60's west coast musicians were working covertly for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Haiti and Liechtenstein had the exact same flag as each other but only found out when they both competed at the 1936 Olympic Games. From there, they developed each of their flags a little further with their own emblems representing them a little clearer.

main-qimg-66ce4a212582a22f46fcb28243c08f58

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I wonder what the blue on top of red signifies in each case.

Pter wrote: »
    I wonder what the blue on top of red signifies in each case.

Red is nearly always for the blood spilled in the wars for independence. I'd wager the blue for L'stein is a royal colour and maybe for Haiti it's the sea or the sky.

Edit- This is interesting.

Haitian lore holds that the newly appointed revolutionary leader Jean-Jacques Dessalines created the flag by taking a French tricolor and ripping out the white center, which he discarded. He then asked Catherine Flon, his god-daughter, to sew the remaining bands together. The white pale removed, the blue was taken to represent Haiti's black citizens and the red the gens de couleur.

Liechtenstein's is a little less dramatic. The blue represents the sky, while red alludes to the "evening fires" that are lit inside houses throughout the country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The Liechtenstein national anthem is "Oben am jungen Rhein", to the same tune as God Save the King/Queen. Apparently a few anthems around the time (mid 19th century) had that same tune - God Save The King is the world's oldest national anthem - but the Liechtenstein anthem is the only one which still survives.

On a similar note, the Bosnian anthem had both its lyrics and tune written by a Serb. The same Serb. He entered the competitions (ten years apart) purely to win a few quid - although the Bosnian organisers refused to pay when they discovered he'd won the second time, and he also started to struggle to get work in Serbia too for his association with Bosnia.

And if that wasn't enough, he was then accused of plagiarising the tune in the first place. He reckons it was done subconsciously; just picking a tune from a film he'd seen decades earlier.

Bit on it, and some other national anthem quirks, here on the BBC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Photography has only been allowed in the Tashkent (Uzbekistan) metro since this summer as it was built to double as a nuclear bomb shelter. It is the oldest one in Central Asia benefiting from a policy of the USSR that once a city hit 1,000,000 inhabitants, then it got a metro.

As is typical for the time, they are lavishly decorated and are like many former Soviet undergrounds, they are tourist attractions in their own right.

The one in Kosmonavtlar station (Cosmonaut station) is my favoutie. It features dreamy pictures of the people of the USSR space programme. The background tiles also represent the changing colours of the sky that they experience when going into space.

This is Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space.
    86A5AF47-3099-487E-90E0-BDDEA64CFF47_mw1600_q75_s.jpg

And here's Gagarin

B7B73664-EA62-43FB-9D76-5CD05A929BDE_mw1600_q75_s.jpg

There's a good article here. https://www.rferl.org/a/uzbekistan-s-secret-underground-a-ban-on-photography-is-lifted-on-tashkent-metro-/29437456.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The Zambezi river forms part of the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe, and along this river is Victoria Falls - a 2 km long, 100m high waterfall. Between August and January, typically after the dry season, the rivers water level drops slightly.

There is a place at the very edge of the waterfall on the Zambian side called the Devils pool and when the water levels are right there is absolutely no current whatsoever in this pool even though it is RIGHT AT THE EDGE! It's a tourist attraction and it is 100% on my bucket list.

Victoria-Falls-Devils-Pool.jpg

Devils-Pool-Victoria-Falls-Zambia-1024x508.jpg

Devils pool is located in the center of this image
    victoria-falls-devils-pool.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Zambezi river forms part of the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe, and along this river is Victoria Falls - a 2 km long, 100m high waterfall. Between August and January, typically after the dry season, the rivers water level drops slightly.

There is a place at the very edge of the waterfall on the Zambian side called the Devils pool and when the water levels are right there is absolutely no current whatsoever in this pool even though it is RIGHT AT THE EDGE! It's a tourist attraction and it is 100% on my bucket list.

Victoria-Falls-Devils-Pool.jpg

Devils-Pool-Victoria-Falls-Zambia-1024x508.jpg

Devils pool is located in the center of this image
    victoria-falls-devils-pool.jpg
    Not on your Nelly!

giphy.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭KevRossi

My balls retracted up into my scrotum when I saw that middle picture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

KevRossi wrote: »

Ah, come on! I bet the water isn't that cold!

My thought was it was the sheer size and weight of their balls that go them out there and keep them anchored to the spot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Despite how it looks they're both perfectly safe, the Zambian guide is actually sitting down on the underwater edge of the pool. The tourist also appears to be sitting down on a higher outcrop of rock.

The water levels in that image do look higher than the other ones though!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'll admit that if someone were to pee in that pool it would be completely understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Am I missing something? In what sense is there no current when you can see the water flowing over the edge behind them and int he picture with the two guys they are standing in white water. Have I misunderstood the meaning of the word current for 36 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Germanic tribes under the rule of their leader Odoacer, brought down the western Roman Empire 

As an ally of Austia-Hungary - the German leader Wilhelm II, went down on history as one of the principal protagonists of First World War.

Hitler as Chancellor of the German Reich invaded Poland and instigated the Second World War

As for World War 3 ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Only one Australian is known to have been granted asylum in a foreign country. Steven Utah was granted asylum in Canada, after a protracted 10 year process, after his life was threatened by the Australian motorbike gang, the Banditos, after he became an informant in the gang for the Australian police.

He arrived at the scene of a murder carried out by the gang after the fact and helped move the body 1,000kms away but was subsequently charged with the murder though this was later dropped. This dropped charge, and accusations of fraud in Canada, delayed the asylum process and had led Mr. Utah to sue Canadian officials for $2.55m for the overly long delay in being granted asylum.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/24/stevan-utah-bandidos-australian-refugee-sues-canada

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The movie 'A Quiet Place' begins in a shop and as it is set in a post-apocalyptic world, most of the shelves have been stripped bare. However, you can see all of the packets of crisps are still on the shelves. Not good food when a noise can get you killed but brilliant subtle story telling through set design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

cdeb wrote:
    And if that wasn't enough, he was then accused of plagiarising the tune in the first place. He reckons it was done subconsciously; just picking a tune from a film he'd seen decades earlier.

Fr Ted and Dougal could totally understand that happening :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Relatively speaking, the earth is as round and as smooth as a snooker ball. The biggest difference from lowest crevice to highest mountain is 11 miles. But the planets diameter is 8 thousand miles. We can’t machine such low tolerances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement