Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah. it really was. To put it in context, imagine they first came along in 2012, basically just another boy band following the trend, but very quickly went a bit out there and created a new trend. By this year of 2018 we've had 20 odd singles, 10 albums, with Sgt Peppers last year and the White Album coming out a couple of months ago. All but one of which hit number one. Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever being the odd one out and only because the concept of a double A side single was still a bit new, so they counted the two songs separately. And we'd still have two more albums and 3 or 4 singles to go before they split up in 2020. Their talent and pace of real influential change over such a short timeframe is still pretty bloody staggering.

And they had the decency to call it a day, and not keep flogging the horse indefinitely..

There's something tragic about the current craic of keeping going for 30 years in a state of arrested development..milking albums that were big in the 90s or whatever..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not really a group decision to disband, Yoko Ono was in the mix, at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

One of the people involved in getting those warning labels on albums was Al Gore's wife, hearing a filthy Prince song her daughter was playing spurred her into action.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

mzungu wrote: »
    Yeah. it really was. To put it in context, imagine they first came along in 2012, basically just another boy band following the trend, but very quickly went a bit out there and created a new trend. By this year of 2018 we've had 20 odd singles, 10 albums, with Sgt Peppers last year and the White Album coming out a couple of months ago. All but one of which hit number one. Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever being the odd one out and only because the concept of a double A side single was still a bit new, so they counted the two songs separately. And we'd still have two more albums and 3 or 4 singles to go before they split up in 2020. Their talent and pace of real influential change over such a short timeframe is still pretty bloody staggering.
    Beaten to the top slot by Engelbert Humperdinck's* "Release Me."

*Gerry Dorsey to his mum and dad!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfELLyPu7g

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

^^^^^^^

My apologies I'm not sure how to embed this properly.

If someone would like to do the honors.

BTW, great thread. Long time lurker here. Always a great read. Thank you to all who post here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

jbt123 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

My apologies I'm not sure how to embed this properly.

If someone would like to do the honors.

BTW, great thread. Long time lurker here. Always a great read. Thank you to all who post here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When and if we think of the band The Police, who kicked off in the late 1970's, we think of them as one of the first of the New Wave after Punk and another bunch of young lads kicking off. What is usually missed is their guitarist Andy Summers was and is one year older than Mick Jagger, who with his mates rode the wave of British bands nearly twenty years earlier in the 1960's. By late 70's terms, especially by Punk/New Wave terms he was already an "old man" in his late 30's.

pol.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^^^
    IIRC, when they started off they were called Military Police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

When and if we think of the band The Police, who kicked off in the late 1970's, we think of them as one of the first of the New Wave after Punk and another bunch of young lads kicking off. What is usually missed is their guitarist Andy Summers was and is one year older than Mick Jagger, who with his mates rode the wave of British bands nearly twenty years earlier in the 1960's. By late 70's terms, especially by Punk/New Wave terms he was already an "old man" in his late 30's.

pol.jpg

I knew that actually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Stuart Copeland of The Police is Courtney Cox's cousin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭KevRossi

After The Police split up, about 1/3rd of them reformed as Sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,332 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

And they had the decency to call it a day, and not keep flogging the horse indefinitely..

There's something tragic about the current craic of keeping going for 30 years in a state of arrested development..milking albums that were big in the 90s or whatever..
    This is the product of technology.

In the good old days, the money was in sales of recorded music. Bands toured mainly to promote record sales, so concerts were relatively cheap. A successful band could retire, and still live high for decades on the back of royalties - both from continuing sales of their back catalogue and (for composers) from sales of new cover versions of their material by other artistes.

Now, not so much. Digital technology has made distribution/copying/sharing/piracy vastly easier, and this has forced down the price of recorded music. In real terms, artiste's income from recorded music is now a fraction of what it used to be. Which means that the big money, for a successful band, is in live performance. Which is why concerts are now vastly more expensive than they used to be. They are no longer marketing efforts to promote album sales; they are profit centres in their own right.

Which means, of course, that a retired band doesn't enjoy the same continuing income that they used to. So they have to periodically re-form and go on tour again. It's that, or appear in celebrity reality television shows, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JRant wrote: »
    Indeeding it does, about 0.5°C less per 500m altitude if my memory serves me well. It does require more energy to boil at higher altitude but the boiling point is lower.

On the jam, it's more than likely being over boiled and this will affect the gel setting in the jam. I could be completely wrong on that though.

you are.completely wrong. water is not jam. period...as professional, experienced preservers know...who do not make errors like that. the answer lies in the pectin that is the setting agent in fruit and thus in jam .....o ff to make jam... head is bursting so offline today..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

you are.completely wrong. water is not jam. period...as professional, experienced preservers know...who do not make errors like that. the answer lies in the pectin that is the setting agent in fruit and thus in jam .....o ff to make jam... head is bursting so offline today..

You'll have to spoon feed me here so as I only ever tried to make jam once about 10 years agos. Do you not need to boil/cook the fruit in water, which in turn releases the pectin?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Well, fruit, which should be essential for jam, contains water, blackberries for example around 84%, plums around 83% and so on.
    Jam sets generelly at 104°C. Hence the advice to boil fruit and sugar at least 4 minutes vigorously to reach that temperature.

Water boils at sea level at 100°C, at 3000m (Alps) at 90°C, at 9000m (Mt Everest) at 70°C.
    Up in the mountains you need to boil water (or in this example jam) longer to get the boiling temperature. If you make jam on Mt Everest you have to forget the 4 minute rule and boil a little longer to reach the setting temperature.

Tiny differences are caused by air (atmospheric) pressure. The lower the pressure the lower the boiling temperature, even at sea level. But this is usually negligible.

Making jam, too. My plum tree is laden :)

Your bossy, schoolmarmish tone doesn't help, by the way. Lighten up a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Carry wrote: »
    Well, fruit, which should be essential for jam, contains water, blackberries for example around 84%, plums around 83% and so on.
    Jam sets generelly at 104°C. Hence the advice to boil fruit and sugar at least 4 minutes vigorously to reach that temperature.

Water boils at sea level at 100°C, at 3000m (Alps) at 90°C, at 9000m (Mt Everest) at 70°C.
    Up in the mountains you need to boil water (or in this example jam) longer to get the boiling temperature. If you make jam on Mt Everest you have to forget the 4 minute rule and boil a little longer to reach the setting temperature.

Tiny differences are caused by air (atmospheric) pressure. The lower the pressure the lower the boiling temperature, even at sea level. But this is usually negligible.

Of course it's the evaporation rate of the water that affects the concentration of pectin and influences setting. It's still down to the changed boiling point of water.

But, again, it is absolutely negligible for any heights achieved in Ireland.

Carry wrote: »

No need to be impertinent.

I mentioned pectin which alters the equation.

OK?
    OK!

signing off on this

You'll have to spoon feed me here so as I only ever tried to make jam once about 10 years agos. Do you not need to boil/cook the fruit in water, which in turn releases the pectin?

Most jams need no water.

and please, my head is about to explode so can you google it? Blessings and thanks.

Over and out

Most jams need no water. jam is a far more complicated yet simpler process than cooking fruit
    and please, my head is about to explode so can you google it? Blessings and thanks.

and great difference between the top of an Irish mountain and sea level... where I was in Doneagl was 700 als that does and did alters the setting point of jam in our considerable and professional experience

try it? no? ah well...

Over and out

Of course it's the evaporation rate of the water that affects the concentration of pectin and influences setting. It's still down to the changed boiling point of water.

But, again, it is absolutely negligible for any heights achieved in Ireland.

Maybe in this case it's because fruit picked in different years and different places would yield different results (also due to its water and sugar contents).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »
    Maybe in this case it's because fruit picked in different years and different places would yield different results (also due to its water and sugar contents).

Absolutely. The water content of a fruit varies from year to year and place to place. Growing conditions affect pectin and sugar levels too. All these will impact on setting rates in Ireland much more so than altitude. Altitude has an impact in regions of countries like the US and Canada but our 'mountains' are only hills and have no bearing on Jam setting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

But good jam is good regardless all above arguments. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It’s all a trifling matter.

Graces 7 is set in her ways too. No pectin added.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

quickbeam wrote: »
    Stuart Copeland of The Police is Courtney Cox's cousin.

I have a cousin in the polIce myself. Just say the word if you want something fixed :cool:

Two words? Penalty points.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ipso wrote: »
    It’s all a trifling matter.
    If you get some custard in your ears, you may become a trifle deaf.

Top Tip :
    If you ever get a peanut stuck in your ear, pour in some melted chocolate.
    It'll come out a treat.

I really love this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

Candie wrote: »
    I really love this thread.

I didn't know that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The jellyfish has caused shutdowns in power plants in America, UK, Sweden, Japan, the Philippines and Israel over the past few decades. A lot of power plants are situated by the coast because they have boiling water reactors. This means that inside the reactor core, there are hundreds of scorchingly hot fuel rods that constantly need to be cooled down. So, the plants pipe water in from nearby bodies of water. Hence, why so many nuclear plants are built on the coast.

The pipe that takes in the seawater gets clogged as it tends to take in sea creatures along with water. When enough of them get in, they clog the way and prevent enough cooling water from entering the system—giving rise to a bona fide risk of meltdown if the plant isn't taken offline. At a blowout in the Philippines in 1999, they had to remove a staggering 50 truck loads of jellyfish before they could get the plant back running again.

We know that jellyfish breed very quickly, but what we can't be sure of is why their numbers have been steadily growing. One theory suggests that climate change could be responsible, and another suggests overfishing of their predators.

Getting rid of jellyfish that were blocking the grills at a power station in Hadera, Israel:
    jellyfish_swarm_power_plant.jpg
    1018316866.jpg
    1018316866.jpg

Sweden’s Oskarshamn nuclear plant shut down a reactor after jellyfish clogged its seawater pipes:
    jellyfishinnuclearplant.jpg

Short video:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement