Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi meat aisle horrors.

Options

Comments

Aonghus I love when you post because a few get all bent out of shape and fail to realise that you're just having the craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aonghus I love when you post because a few get all bent out of shape and fail to realise that you're just having the craic :D

Couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Just eat fish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Just back from the weekly shop and Aldi were out of €4 chickens.

What did you buy? You strike me as the sort who buys that luncheon roll with the face in it, maybe some jelly pots, and those little squeezable cartons of apple juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Arghus wrote: »
    For those that still don't get it, which is still an amazingly high number of people: these accounts from everyone's favourite ex-pat are tounge in cheek and not to be taken seriously. Yes, that's right, they are a joke.

We'd like to think so, but it's no joke.
    He's simply the man every man wants to be, and every woman wants to be with!

Keep sharing your comments and guidance AVB.
    Without them, AH is a place I'm not sure many of us would bother with.

• Advertisement

What did you buy? You strike me as the sort who buys that luncheon roll with the face in it, maybe some jelly pots, and those little squeezable cartons of apple juice.

In Aldi I got
    Salmon fillets.
    Some kind of roast bacon that was new.
    A packet of Baked Ham.
    Vintage mature cheese.
    Toffee pops.
    Chunky Specially selected Chips.
    I tried the tartar sauce but I've no idea what it's going to be like.
    I haven't bought those items you mentioned for a long time.Don't think I ever liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I rarely shop in Lidl or Aldi, not because I'm too posh but tbh I'm only shopping for myself so my bill in Dunnes is never that high anyway. I'd rather scoot straight to the self-checkout in Dunnes than have to queue halfway down the shop with my little basket of wares in Lidl/Aldi because there's only two checkouts open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I’ve been back in Ireland for the past week, spending some quality time with my parents, /quote]

Yore Ma doesn't consider it quality time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The replies to these troll posts are always very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Your Face wrote: »
    The replies to these troll posts are always very telling.

'Shyte attracts flies' ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Funny enough there was a time when Irish people wouldn't be seen dead walking in to an Aldi or Lidl.

Then the recession came...

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Funny enough there was a time when Irish people wouldn't be seen dead walking in to an Aldi or Lidl.

True story.

They weren't selling swimming pools back then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

True story.
    I remember. I'm not even Irish and I had misconceptions about the shop. We went in to pick up some Aldi special item and I discovered that they had open cup mushrooms and big slabs of parmesan cheese. I was converted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I’ve been back in Ireland for the past week, spending some quality time with my parents, and my niece and nephew. I’ve just about gotten over the huge disappointment of Galway’s lose to Limerick on Sunday. I was motoring back out from Galway this morning after an early morning hike in the 12 Bens, when I got a call from my Mother asking me to call into the local ADLI to pick up some pots of Play-Doh for my nephew (strange request, but I was very happy to oblige – I’m good like that). Turned the 6-Series around and headed back into town. Mart day today, so there were some serious specimens of muck savage around – men with beetroot red faces, tufts of hair growing on their upper cheeks, pants held up with baling twine, not a full set of teeth between 5 of them.

Now I live in Germany, but it’s safe to say I’m not a regular visitor to German discount supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl. They have a great business model, and are very popular, but I’m not their target audience as I’ve the disposable income to shop in more artisan and high-end stores. I’ve heard some of their produce can be quite good, but I’m a passionate and talented cook so I’d rather have the choice of more than one type of mushroom for example. Think the food hall in Fallon and Byrne for those of you familiar with the Dublin foodie scene.

I had intended to get in and out there as quickly as possible, but decided I’d have a browse of the products they offer. I was genuinely disgusted to see that you can buy a large chicken for €4. Who buys such a thing? How is it possible to house, feed, medicate, slaughter, package, and distribute a chicken to a supermarket for that price? And one has to presume that there’s profit being taken by the various stakeholders along this most depressing of supply chains. I can’t help but notice that there’s a big problem with Irishmen and ‘moobs’ these days. Surely some of it must be linked to the amount of hormones and growth promoters these chickens are being stuffed with during their short and tragic life?

The litany of food horrors continued – huge packs of sickly pink looking ham branded as ‘Family Value’, bags of chicken nuggets for €1.79, microwavable mashed potato (!!), blocks of heavily processed cheese for literally nothing, baked beans for 29 cent a can. Who eats this muck, and do they ever consider the impact it is having on their own bodies, and the bodies of their families? Probably the same people who then fill the rest of the trolley with bottles of cheap wine that you could use to strip paint from a trawler.

I picked up the Play-Doh from those middle rows they have and left. I was relieved to find that some fat tradesman in a van hadn’t scraped my Beamer despite parking dangerously close to it. I’ve been appalled since though at the idea of that flaccid looking ‘chicken’ wrapped in its clear plastic coffin.

Am I missing something here? Who is the audience for this? And surely they could push the boat out and buy a free-range bird for 7 or 8 euro instead? Maybe eat less, or be more creative with what they do with leftovers?

I was wondering why you were posting after such a long hiatus

True story.

To be fair the quality has improved a lot since they both opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

True story.

Amazed me the amount of Mercedes and BMWs that suddenly started appearing in the car parks at Lidl and Aldi where previously you only saw the Polish lads old cars :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

goat2 wrote: »
    There is a whole difference between strawberries we buy at our local veg shop, to the ones we buy at Supervalu or Aldi, the local farmer shop strawberries have the strawberry flavour as well as looking like a strawberry, but Supervalu and Aldi strawberries just look like strawberries, without the taste

Tomatoes are the same. I struggle to taste anything from shop bought tomatoes, but when I've had them from a farmers market they've been amazing. Carrots too.

I think meat from Aldi is at the better end of the scale as supermarkets go, compared to Tesco for example. Though it tends to be worth buying the slightly more expensive ones; cheaper beef in particular can be pretty bland and tough, versus the stuff 2-3 euro dearer. Someone told me either Aldi or Lidl get their beef from the same farm as Patrick Guilbauds, but that may be nonsense.

To be fair the quality has improved a lot since they both opened!

I remember some of the horrors my mother brought home from Lidl when it first landed. Something that looked like beans, in something that was supposed to be tomato sauce. She was amazed they only cost 19c - the fact they tasted like they'd already been run through someone didnt make a blind bit of difference to her. Likewise with the 14 day bread. It didnt taste anything like bread on day 1 or day 14, but technically it could be said it didnt change much in between. And cost about four pence. :(

Tomatoes are the same. I struggle to taste anything from shop bought tomatoes, but when I've had them from a farmers market they've been amazing. Carrots too.

I'll give you carrots but tomatoes are rubbish in Ireland no matter where you buy them. The weather just isn't right here to grow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭enricoh

I remember some of the horrors my mother brought home from Lidl when it first landed. Something that looked like beans, in something that was supposed to be tomato sauce. She was amazed they only cost 19c - the fact they tasted like they'd already been run through someone didnt make a blind bit of difference to her. Likewise with the 14 day bread. It didnt taste anything like bread on day 1 or day 14, but technically it could be said it didnt change much in between. And cost about four pence. :(

U doing an apprenticeship with aonghus?!

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    U doing an apprenticeship with aonghus?!

Not at all! I was responding to the point that they were once much worse than they are today. I do 4/5 shops in Aldi these days - the fifth in Supervalu or Dunnes to get the stuff Aldi dont have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

True story.

Funnily enough it was the local self employed and middle of the road earners etc who most frequented the Aldi / Lidl around here when they first opened. Oveheard local from somewhat dodgy urban area disclaim that they wouldn't shop there as they didn't sell the big brands and couldn't trust the food...

A case of inverse class / food snobbery perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'll give you carrots but tomatoes are rubbish in Ireland no matter where you buy them. The weather just isn't right here to grow them.

You'll not have tasted 'Green Ace' tomatoes then. Irish grown and top of the range if I do say so myself. Only available for a short time during the Summer and sold in most Greengrocer's.

Don't knock the Irish tomatoes 'til you've tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

_Brian wrote: »
    Irish reared chicken and all farm animals are free from hormones and growth promotors - it’s a fact, it’s monitored closely, traceable and the implications for a farmer are huge if there’s any messing going on.

Now, I agree the chicken is too cheap, as are most meats but farmers are price takers, they have no option one s an animal is ready to go but take what you get. Holding back animals often results in penalties for age or fatness, plus it costs to hold them in a factory ready state.

You can buy decent free range chicken for a bit more and there’s more substance to them.

Overall Aldi meats are high quality and plenty of Irish reared options in the fresh meat, frozen stuff is more of a grey area.

Agree with you Brian in Ireland we have high welfare standards and animal husbandry for all types of stock and the veg is top standard and all coming from approved premises Aldi and Lidl use a lot of Irish products on the self.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Anyone else wondering how long it took him to drive from Germany in the 6 series.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Don't knock the Irish tomatoes 'til you've tried them.

I tried Irish tomatoes and I buy them often but I also tried tomatoes from my grandmother's allotment ripened in hot sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nothing worse than some sad cúnt coming up with a parody account to try make themselves feel superior to every one else!

We're not buying it Sarge, most people know it's you.

The bang of bullsh off this thread! Just disappointed you didn't get your usual dig in at bootcut jeans.

Yawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Aongus, you beaut! Welcome back.

For those who are unfamiliar with the boards LEGEND that is Aongus Von Bismarck, open a GOOD bottle of wine (ask him for a recommendation), curl up by the fire and read his old posts.

Prepare to be awed and repulsed in equal measures.

Chuck Norris wishes he was Aongus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Aongus you may not remember me but my dad worked for your dad? Just to say it’s great to see you back.

And yeah and you’re an absolute ledgebag :cool:

Advertisement