Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi meat aisle horrors.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I’ve been back in Ireland for the past week, spending some quality time with my parents, and my niece and nephew. I’ve just about gotten over the huge disappointment of Galway’s lose to Limerick on Sunday. I was motoring back out from Galway this morning after an early morning hike in the 12 Bens, when I got a call from my Mother asking me to call into the local ADLI to pick up some pots of Play-Doh for my nephew (strange request, but I was very happy to oblige – I’m good like that). Turned the 6-Series around and headed back into town. Mart day today, so there were some serious specimens of muck savage around – men with beetroot red faces, tufts of hair growing on their upper cheeks, pants held up with baling twine, not a full set of teeth between 5 of them.

Now I live in Germany, but it’s safe to say I’m not a regular visitor to German discount supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl. They have a great business model, and are very popular, but I’m not their target audience as I’ve the disposable income to shop in more artisan and high-end stores. I’ve heard some of their produce can be quite good, but I’m a passionate and talented cook so I’d rather have the choice of more than one type of mushroom for example. Think the food hall in Fallon and Byrne for those of you familiar with the Dublin foodie scene.

I had intended to get in and out there as quickly as possible, but decided I’d have a browse of the products they offer. I was genuinely disgusted to see that you can buy a large chicken for €4. Who buys such a thing? How is it possible to house, feed, medicate, slaughter, package, and distribute a chicken to a supermarket for that price? And one has to presume that there’s profit being taken by the various stakeholders along this most depressing of supply chains. I can’t help but notice that there’s a big problem with Irishmen and ‘moobs’ these days. Surely some of it must be linked to the amount of hormones and growth promoters these chickens are being stuffed with during their short and tragic life?

The litany of food horrors continued – huge packs of sickly pink looking ham branded as ‘Family Value’, bags of chicken nuggets for €1.79, microwavable mashed potato (!!), blocks of heavily processed cheese for literally nothing, baked beans for 29 cent a can. Who eats this muck, and do they ever consider the impact it is having on their own bodies, and the bodies of their families? Probably the same people who then fill the rest of the trolley with bottles of cheap wine that you could use to strip paint from a trawler.

I picked up the Play-Doh from those middle rows they have and left. I was relieved to find that some fat tradesman in a van hadn’t scraped my Beamer despite parking dangerously close to it. I’ve been appalled since though at the idea of that flaccid looking ‘chicken’ wrapped in its clear plastic coffin.

Am I missing something here? Who is the audience for this? And surely they could push the boat out and buy a free-range bird for 7 or 8 euro instead? Maybe eat less, or be more creative with what they do with leftovers?

God I read half the OP and stopped just to say how in awe I am at how great you are. A titan among men especially those that are less well off than you or cannot cook as well as you or have red cheeks or hair you do not like or do not live where you live etc etc. Should the mods allow such who, personally I find it unacceptable. Shame my stomach couldn't take any more to get to the main pints of the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Love all the people getting bent out of shape by AvB once again :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Chef Richard Corrigan was all over the muck chicken 10 years ago.
    Our Germany friend is simply trailing in his wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

mickdw wrote: »
    Chef Richard Corrigan was all over the muck chicken 10 years ago.
    Our Germany friend is simply trailing in his wake.

Richard Corrigan is full of more **** than any chicken breast Aldi or Lidl might sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'll give you carrots but tomatoes are rubbish in Ireland no matter where you buy them. The weather just isn't right here to grow them.

The tomatoes are fine if you know how to grow them and which varieties to grow - the bog standard "big red tomato" as found in supermarkets is indeed pretty tasteless even in summer but Tigerella and Sungold are lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I actually agree with this and im broke af, id shop in tesco or dunnes even though it means buying less food and being a bit more picky about what I buy, considering what will last longest, value for money etc, its better than Aldi, Ive bought fruit and veg from there that looks fresh but when theyre cut into the insides rotten and brown and the fruit falls apart, the meat is pumped with chemicals and everything goes off so quickly I dont save any money because half of it has to be thrown out within a couple of days.

I left a few slices of aldi bread out on the balcony a few months ago, I was feeding birds, about a week or two later the bread had luminous orange specks on it, like mold but bright orange it was the strangest thing ever.

Its sad because thats all that allot of people can afford, if youre below the poverty line its the only food option to feed a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The tomatoes are fine if you know how to grow them and which varieties to grow - the bog standard "big red tomato" as found in supermarkets is indeed pretty tasteless even in summer but Tigerella and Sungold are lovely.

That’s very true, Harry. Those 6 tasteless salad tomatoes in a plastic container that you find in Irish supermarkets are not up to scratch at all. The 80’s are long gone, so there’s absolutely no excuse for Birds custard, Paxo stuffing, Bisto gravy, or those horrible watery pale red tomatoes. They belong in the same era as buying the RTE Guide, wearing bootcut jeans, and covering school books in brown paper.

I’m flying back to Germany on Sunday morning, but have been lucky enough to have been around to sample the tomatoes that my Father has been growing in the glasshouse I bought him for his birthday a number of years ago. Bright red, juicy, and bursting with flavour. Delicious just to eat on their own, but I used some of them to make a few jars of passata. Which will be going into one of my suitcases for the journey back. I’m hoping to play a trick on one of my Italian colleagues by trying to pass it off as something I bought on a farm just outside Naples.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Chicken you philistine, it's pheasant season now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I actually agree with this and im broke af, id shop in tesco or dunnes even though it means buying less food and being a bit more picky about what I buy, considering what will last longest, value for money etc, its better than Aldi, Ive bought fruit and veg from there that looks fresh but when theyre cut into the insides rotten and brown and the fruit falls apart, the meat is pumped with chemicals and everything goes off so quickly I dont save any money because half of it has to be thrown out within a couple of days.

I left a few slices of aldi bread out on the balcony a few months ago, I was feeding birds, about a week or two later the bread had luminous orange specks on it, like mold but bright orange it was the strangest thing ever.

Its sad because thats all that allot of people can afford, if youre below the poverty line its the only food option to feed a family.

My experience is the opposite. I dont think I even save money in Aldi anymore, it comes in the same as if i have to go to Dunnes or Tesco due to lack of time - though maybe because I always end up buying loads of sh1te for the garden. I really like a lot of the food Aldi sell, especially things like cold meat.

I have no factual info either way, but do you really think Aldi are producing meat in some way than is more ethically dubious than Tesco? I know that things like baked and canned goods may often be made in the same facilities as branded equivalents but to a lower standard (the same for all own brands) but when it comes to meat surely theyre all just buying from local producers? Personally Tesco is the last place Id shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I went shopping in Aldi Wednesday and among my purchases were, a 4 euro chicken, large pack of sliced ham and large block of mature white cheddar. Your post still made me laugh though, top trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

is this lad for real hahahahahhaha found that post about playing a prank on his italian colleague ****ing hilarious. This is italian pasta omg lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The triggering in these threads is often funnier than the OP.

Bravo Herr Bismarck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Good man Aonghus. Delighted to hear you're flying back to Germany on Sunday morning.

Also, fair play for being able to navigate your A%^hole posting into the A.H. forum. Well positioned!

What you don't seem to understand is that hundreds of thousands of ppl in this country (the country of your former allegiance that educated you - not very well I fear as evidenced by your portrayal of extreme entitlement and lack of humility- before the thralls of Germany captured you) rely on the relatively less expensive shopping baskets that have been made possible by the ALDI and LIDLs of this world, particularly after your newly adopted homeland which hosts a plethora of extremely dubious financial institutions helped create a monumental economic meltdown in the country of your birth (I'm assuming here but your posting suggests it) over the past decade.

I wish you a safe journey on Sunday. I am delighted that the average I.Q. and particularly E.Q. of our country will rise on Sunday (to the obvious detriment of Germany) and I truly hope the door doesn't kick you in the ar^e on the way out!

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

It's called sustanence, sometimes that's all one can afford

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If you live in germany and are back for a week, did you drive back in your car? Or is it a rental? Or is it your parents car? I dont get this.

Wouldnt it have been a better brag if you said that you turned your crappy rental skoda around and missed the positronic traction of your upper middle range BMW back in Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I rarely shop in Lidl or Aldi, not because I'm too posh but tbh I'm only shopping for myself so my bill in Dunnes is never that high anyway. I'd rather scoot straight to the self-checkout in Dunnes than have to queue halfway down the shop with my little basket of wares in Lidl/Aldi because there's only two checkouts open.

It's Aldi policy that if the queue extends beyond the conveyor belt they open a new aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I rarely shop in Lidl or Aldi, not because I'm too posh but tbh I'm only shopping for myself so my bill in Dunnes is never that high anyway. I'd rather scoot straight to the self-checkout in Dunnes than have to queue halfway down the shop with my little basket of wares in Lidl/Aldi because there's only two checkouts open.

You must share the location of this Dunnes, or indeed any big supermarket, where the instruction to observe the item limit in the express checkout is actually observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If you live in germany and are back for a week, did you drive back in your car? Or is it a rental? Or is it your parents car? I dont get this.

Wouldnt it have been a better brag if you said that you turned your crappy rental skoda around and missed the positronic traction of your upper middle range BMW back in Germany?

It's flying back on Sunday... The Bimmer is either a figment of its imagination or a cheapo loaner.. If the latter, whats the betting it'll be left back with the fuel warning light aglow?? I hope the f8ckin passata doesn't explode in the hold of the plane or theyre'll be hell to pay in Frankfurt Am Main.

Bend down and spread yer terrorist cheeks Paddy... .. :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

gingergirl wrote: »
    It's called sustanence, sometimes that's all one can afford

Sustanence is what MSF and the UN provide to people in the Sudan and the Congo. I think deciding to forgo meat, or buying a moderately more expensive chicken and deciding to make a few meals out of it wouldn’t fall under that umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i stopped reading when I realised there was no chauffeur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

My experience is the opposite. I dont think I even save money in Aldi anymore, it comes in the same as if i have to go to Dunnes or Tesco due to lack of time - though maybe because I always end up buying loads of sh1te for the garden. I really like a lot of the food Aldi sell, especially things like cold meat.

I have no factual info either way, but do you really think Aldi are producing meat in some way than is more ethically dubious than Tesco? I know that things like baked and canned goods may often be made in the same facilities as branded equivalents but to a lower standard (the same for all own brands) but when it comes to meat surely theyre all just buying from local producers? Personally Tesco is the last place Id shop

I dont buy meat in either besides a packet of bacon the odd time, mostly because I dont like the thoughts of eating a caged bird or abused animal so I dont eat much meat at all tbh, id buy free range if I could but until I start earning a nice wage like Aongus thats not an option.
    I dont even think its anything to do with where they source the food from, they charge so little because theyre buying produce that isnt fresh, they buy all the nearly out of date meat, fruit and veg, they can buy it and sell it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I dont buy meat in either besides a packet of bacon the odd time, mostly because I dont like the thoughts of eating a caged bird or abused animal so I dont eat much meat at all tbh, id buy free range if I could but until I start earning a nice wage like Aongus thats not an option.
    I dont even think its anything to do with where they source the food from, they charge so little because theyre buying produce that isnt fresh, they buy all the nearly out of date meat, fruit and veg, they can buy it and sell it cheaper.

Really. Enjoy your bacon :)

Nearly out of date meat, fruit and veg all over the place. That's their business model surely.

If you are so concerned about caged animals bacon is the answer. It is kind of out of date already, but until you earn millions that's all you can have.

Great thread BTW :) Where are the vegans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I’ve been back in Ireland for the past week, spending some quality time with my parents, and my niece and nephew. I’ve just about gotten over the huge disappointment of Galway’s lose to Limerick on Sunday. I was motoring back out from Galway this morning after an early morning hike in the 12 Bens, when I got a call from my Mother asking me to call into the local ADLI to pick up some pots of Play-Doh for my nephew (strange request, but I was very happy to oblige – I’m good like that). Turned the 6-Series around and headed back into town. Mart day today, so there were some serious specimens of muck savage around – men with beetroot red faces, tufts of hair growing on their upper cheeks, pants held up with baling twine, not a full set of teeth between 5 of them.

Now I live in Germany, but it’s safe to say I’m not a regular visitor to German discount supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl. They have a great business model, and are very popular, but I’m not their target audience as I’ve the disposable income to shop in more artisan and high-end stores. I’ve heard some of their produce can be quite good, but I’m a passionate and talented cook so I’d rather have the choice of more than one type of mushroom for example. Think the food hall in Fallon and Byrne for those of you familiar with the Dublin foodie scene.

I had intended to get in and out there as quickly as possible, but decided I’d have a browse of the products they offer. I was genuinely disgusted to see that you can buy a large chicken for €4. Who buys such a thing? How is it possible to house, feed, medicate, slaughter, package, and distribute a chicken to a supermarket for that price? And one has to presume that there’s profit being taken by the various stakeholders along this most depressing of supply chains. I can’t help but notice that there’s a big problem with Irishmen and ‘moobs’ these days. Surely some of it must be linked to the amount of hormones and growth promoters these chickens are being stuffed with during their short and tragic life?

The litany of food horrors continued – huge packs of sickly pink looking ham branded as ‘Family Value’, bags of chicken nuggets for €1.79, microwavable mashed potato (!!), blocks of heavily processed cheese for literally nothing, baked beans for 29 cent a can. Who eats this muck, and do they ever consider the impact it is having on their own bodies, and the bodies of their families? Probably the same people who then fill the rest of the trolley with bottles of cheap wine that you could use to strip paint from a trawler.

I picked up the Play-Doh from those middle rows they have and left. I was relieved to find that some fat tradesman in a van hadn’t scraped my Beamer despite parking dangerously close to it. I’ve been appalled since though at the idea of that flaccid looking ‘chicken’ wrapped in its clear plastic coffin.

Am I missing something here? Who is the audience for this? And surely they could push the boat out and buy a free-range bird for 7 or 8 euro instead? Maybe eat less, or be more creative with what they do with leftovers?

This is a strange post....
    Totally pretentious, kinda funny but not really, with a bit of culchie bashing to rile up the natives.
    Totally right about heavily processed food but the message seems misplaced in a post like this.
    91 thanks a.t.m.. That's impressive...
    Ah the wisdom of crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

A lot of the "shop in Aldi with a M&S bag" crowd posting on this thread. ;). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

Quite funny to see all the salty responses from the posters who clearly care more about the bottom line than their health.

These chickens are like Jordan’s tits, look good from afar but are far from good. You wouldn’t catch me with an asses roar of either.

Just like the mob that claim it’s too expensive to eat healthy. Check yourself before you wreck yourself guys. Lay off the lager and crisps and you might find you can afford to buy the free range chicken. Compliment it with some quinoa instead of a big plate of spuds too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Sirsok wrote: »
    You bought play- doh from aldi instead of an artisan toy maker ...you pleb ..... god I weep
    You could make your own play doh by being creative with leftovers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

This is a strange post....
    Totally pretentious, kinda funny but not really, with a bit of culchie bashing to rile up the natives.
    Totally right about heavily processed food but the message seems misplaced in a post like this.
    91 thanks a.t.m.. That's impressive...
    Ah the wisdom of crowds.

You’re new around here? Check out AVBs previous posts.

willkommen zurück Aongus - ich liebe dich

I eat gold. Then I show people my ****, so they can say "he ****s gold".

• Advertisement

I eat gold. Then I show people my ****, so they can say "he ****s gold".

Apparently this is a thing. Once again reality trumps my attempts at satire.I bet they do leave their **** in the bowl too.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2272605

Advertisement