Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are motorbikes permitted to use the Bus lane during peak hours?

• 21-08-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭

While cycling over Annesley Bridge toward Fairview, it was typically packed full of cyclists commuting home, so as I was faster than most I was positioned just right of the center.

Had a motorcyclist blast me with his horn several times and narrowly pass me via the Bus lane shaking his head as if I was completely in the wrong taking up all the space and not giving him enough room to undertake vehicle traffic via the Bus lane.

I was planning on informing him at the next set of lights the irony that he was in fact in the wrong by using the Bus lane, but unfortunately they turned green just as I was a metre away and he sped off.

It had me wondering though, are motorbikes allowed to use the Bus lane as Bikes/Buses/Taxis are?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No, they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No - Not permitted to use them at all. But the Garda turn a blind eye most of the time as long as your not acting the dick speeding etc. I use them within occasionally but make sure I dont block buses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

Motorcyclists are cyclists too. Just let them go! 

PS: I do both cycling and motorcycling and have seen it from both sides. As mentioned above, bus lanes are safer areas for motorcyclists, and as long as they are being considerate and decent, Guards don't mind them there. It's safer than lane splitting as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When I was taking motorcycle lessons, my instructor said I would be expected to use cycle lanes if vacant. I never felt comfortable doing so and thankfully the situation didn't arise during the test.

(That was about 20 years ago - might have changed since then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

positron wrote: »
    Motorcyclists are cyclists too. Just let them go! 

PS: I do both cycling and motorcycling.

Agreed, apart from the beeping and allegedly aggressive behavior towards people legally entitled to be where they are.

For the RoSPA you are strictly *not* allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

... expected to use cycle lanes....That was about 20 years ago .....

Amazed such things existed back then!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

positron wrote: »
    Motorcyclists are cyclists too..

Only thing motorcyclists and cyclists on this forum have in common are the number of wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not officially permitted in the buslane but it's not really enforced. If you're out in the middle of the bus lane because you're overtaking slower cyclists then you just met a wanker of a biker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

(That was about 20 years ago - might have changed since then).

I believe you to be correct. Motor bikes definitely used to be allowed to use bus lanes. I actually thought that they still could but have no reason to doubt other posters saying that you can no longer use the bus lane

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Only thing motorcyclists and cyclists on this forum have in common are the number of wheels.

That's on the outside. Really when you get into it, both groups have many things in common - danger from larger vehicles on the road, SMIDSY is a serious problem for motorcyclists too. Oil spills, poor road surface and manure or other dirt pulled in by farm machinery could all be lethal to motorcyclists too. And not to mention the danger from jay walkers wearing headphones and walking into you. You can come off motorbike for most of the reasons as you would off your bike, and usually it's a lot more serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Harassing bicyclists from a 200kg motor vehicle is dickish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Motorbikes and cyclists are not in any way the same - the clue is in the name motor.

They may suffer similar issues from other motorists, but as modes of transport they're very different. I've been repeatedly close passed by motorbikes, buzzed etc for being where I should be on the road.
    That said the majority I encounter are totally fine.
    They have absolutely no business in the cycle lane. I've been stuck behind them in cycle lanes before, particularly the canal, and it's a pain in the hole being stuck behind big slow lumbering things where they legally shouldn't be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

There are buslanes where it's legal for motorcycles to use them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're next on the spectrum from pedestrians to cyclists (to motorcyclists) to motorists, etc., and that proximity does include some shared experience. mainly in the 'exposure to risk' or 'lesser user of the road than a motorist' way, i guess.

that said, the road user who most recently explictly - and quite deliberately - endangered my life was a showboating motorcyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

lennymc wrote: »

When are they allowed in the bus lanes? (apart from outside hours obvs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

When I was taking motorcycle lessons, my instructor said I would be expected to use cycle lanes if vacant.

If that was the case then the biker in the original post would just have gone straight through fairview park.

nee wrote:
    Motorbikes and cyclists are not in any way the same - the clue is in the name motor.

Don't some bikes have motors now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Don't some bikes have motors now?

Very weak ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I vaguely remember that motorcyclists are a disproportionate cause of serious injuries to pedestrians, but I can't remember the source. Does anybody know whether that's true?

(Not trying to be moralistic; it just might influence decisions about where they're allowed to go)

ED E wrote:
    Very weak ones.

I don't know. I only heard about them. Not a cyclist myself & I don't think I've seen any bikes with motors. I suppose if they weren't weak then tax & insurance would be required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Pedelecs (motor cuts out at 25km/h) are treated as bicycles. More powerful or faster than that, they're treated as motorbikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Effects wrote: »
    If that was the case then the biker in the original post would just have gone straight through fairview park.
    Any motorcyclists I see using cycle tracks do so to filter through slow or stationary vehicles. I've never seen a motorcyclist using a segregated cycle track so I don't understand your logic.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I vaguely remember that motorcyclists are a disproportionate cause of serious injuries to pedestrians, but I can't remember the source. Does anybody know whether that's true?

(Not trying to be moralistic; it just might influence decisions about where they're allowed to go)

Caveat: US stats
    https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/11/4/232

"Compared with cars, the RR of killing a pedestrian per vehicle mile was 7.97 (95% CI 6.33 to 10.04) for buses; 1.93 (95% CI 1.30 to 2.86) for motorcycles; 1.45 (95% CI 1.37 to 1.55) for light trucks, and 0.96 (95% CI 0.79 to 1.18) for heavy trucks. Compared with cars, buses were 11.85 times (95% CI 6.07 to 23.12) and motorcycles were 3.77 times (95% CI 1.40 to 10.20) more likely per mile to kill children 0–14 years old. Buses were 16.70 times (95% CI 7.30 to 38.19) more likely to kill adults age 85 or older than were cars."

While motorcycles are a bit worse than cars, buses are FAR worse.

So as a ped crossing a bus lane your main worry should be....buses.

Lumen wrote: »
    So as a ped crossing a bus lane your main worry should be....buses.
    Actually that would be really stupid advice. We mostly accident into things smaller than the things we're looking out for.

Also, I reckon wiping out peds crossing between parked or slow moving cars is the single biggest accident risk for a filtering motorcyclist, whichever lane they're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

vandriver wrote: »
    Where?

Bottom of Georges street where they can turn right onto Dame street is one example that springs to mind. There are probably a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lumen wrote: »

Also, I reckon wiping out peds crossing between parked or slow moving cars is the single biggest accident risk for a filtering motorcyclist, whichever lane they're in.

Same risk for bicyclists as a motorcyclist hitting a ped when filtering, if either party isn't paying enough attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're few and far between. It's almost exclusively situations where cars aren't allowed take a turn, but busses, motorbikes and bikes are. Technically it means bikes can use the bus lane, but it's really incidental and second-fiddle to the fact that they're allowed make the turn.

Bottom of George's St onto Dame St as said above, also used to be the case at the bottom of Dawson St before everything was changed.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Same risk for bicyclists as a motorcyclist hitting a ped when filtering, if either party isn't paying enough attention.
    Motorbike is considerably faster and heavier though, with more restricted visibility. I'd say not only are they more likely to hit a ped, they're definitely more likely to result in greater injury to the ped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Del2005 wrote: »

I had the misfortune of being in hospital when I was younger and the lad beside me had been hit by a motorbike that mounted the path. He was in a bad bad way, two broken legs, a broken arm and shoulder , along with snapped ribs.

I was in for a broken leg after coming off my own motorbike. His mum asked me not to tell him how I got my injury.

Peds dont realize that motorbikes dont have a crash zone like cars. Serious injury is nearly a given if you get hit by one.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Motorbike is considerably faster and heavier though, with more restricted visibility.
    The forward facing visibility is fine. It's the far peripheral vision you don't have with a full face helmet on. Better brakes too.

Still, if I had to pick what I'd be hit by, it wouldn't be a motorbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

YMMV, but motorbikes tend to be lower than bicycles too. So less chance of seeing that bobbing head over the top of an SUV. Probably only a couple of inches in the difference, but it's there all the same, especially if it's a racing-style motorbike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently had a motorcyclist pull a full bore wheelie straight towards me - and the difference between someone acting a dick on a motorbike like that vs. in a car, is that if the motorcyclist loses control while showboating, the vehicle becomes much more of an uncontrolled projectile than a car would. albeit smaller, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I've had motor bikes mount kerb and follow me through Blackrock & Churchtown off road lanes. Seen cars do the same too though. Bit of a design flaw not having regular spaced bollards to prevent mounting/undertaking

But on topic, had similar to OP on Monday heading into Dundrum, I was overtaking postman on bike in empty bus lane, halfway through heard a motorbike gun it from a good bit back and squeeze between me and car in next lane. Definitely one of the closest passes I've had in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The next progression for a cyclist is a motorbike. We all complain about cars and cyclists but bikers are the true kings of this road. Riding a bicycle then switching to a motorbike before learning how to drive a car is the best thing I've ever done in terms of road awareness and how to drive, cycle, ride properly.

RasTa wrote: »
    bikers are the true kings of this road
    nah, they're just wannabe cyclists but are too lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

nah, they're just wannabe cyclists but are too lazy.

Can you imagine trying to cycle with all that denim and leather and un aero beards?

Other way round for a commuting cyclist who looks upon the biker but can't afford insurance, test and bike. Especially when they are cycling down a steep hill during a windy October

sure half the people posting to this forum are on bikes costing more than the average secondhand motorbike.

sure half the people posting to this forum are on bikes costing more than the average secondhand motorbike.

Maybe then the bros rider but overall no chance. If you don't have a motorbike or ever ran a marathon, you're not a true cyclist

RasTa wrote: »
    If you don't have a motorbike or ever ran a marathon, you're not a true cyclist

TIL I am true cyclist! :D I can't hold a 25kmph average for any decent distances but who cares, I am a true cyclist. :cool:

• Advertisement

Bus lanes are a free for all in Dublin, so the motor-bikers may as well use them like anyone else!

There's enough cars and vans flying down them around the city which need to be caught first..

Though I see in Amsterdam they are moving to take all motor scooters out of the bicycle lanes as they are dangerous and polluting: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a3nng4/amsterdam-is-enacting-a-scooter-ban-cyclists-ebikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Long time motorcyclist, not doing much the last year, but commuted daily for over 10 years on one.
    See no issue with motorbikes using them so as they are sensible, stay within speed limits. It plays a little role in keeping things moving without the risk of blocking buses etc because its very easy to get out of the way if needed.
    Personally think it should officially be made legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭GBX

My vision is fine with my motorcycle helmet on - I dont keep my head stationary. There's blind spots for sure, but that's what lifesavers are for.

It's risky on the roads for anybody on 2 wheels. I can understand that cyclists have a certain dislike for bikers but there's bad apples in every bunch. I have a lot of time and respect on the road for cyclists.

terrydel wrote: »
    See no issue with motorbikes using them so as they are sensible, stay within speed limits. .

That would be ideal, it's something I rarely see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Motorcyclist for many years, cyclist for even more.

Most bikers I see dgaf about cyclists, just treat them like some pox holding them up. I've had plenty of close passes as a cyclist from them and they always do it a ridiculous speed.

When I'm on the bike I consider myself to be a safe rider. I use the bus lanes but give space to cyclists, I dobt speed.

There's definitely a level of awareness you build up riding motorbikes that you don't get cycling but I don't think most bikers give enough respect to cyclists.

site_owner wrote: »
    Motorcyclist for many years, cyclist for even more.Most bikers I see dgaf about cyclists, just treat them like some pox holding them up. I've had plenty of close passes as a cyclist from them and they always do it a ridiculous speed.
    When I'm on the bike I consider myself to be a safe rider. I use the bus lanes but give space to cyclists, I dobt speed.
    There's definitely a level of awareness you build up riding motorbikes that you don't get cycling but I don't think most bikers give enough respect to cyclists.

That's part of my point, motorbikers have almost nothing in common with cyclists, apart from the wheels, cyclists have more in common with pedestrians!

Apart from the Motorbikers around the city, when they hit the hills on the weekends around the Wicklow gap it's all out Isle of Man TT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's part of my point, motorbikers have almost nothing in common with cyclists, apart from the wheels, cyclists have more in common with pedestrians!

Apart from the Motorbikers around the city, when they hit the hills on the weekends around the Wicklow gap it's all out Isle of Man TT!

Totally agree. I like to think am actively considerate of cyclists on the motorbike and I still think I'm far from perfect, and for me that awareness and consideration comes from my cycling experience, not my riding. And what I see some other riders do is insane

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Apart from the cyclists around the city, when they hit the hills on the weekends around the Wicklow gap it's all out Tour De France!!

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have rarely had a problem with motorcyclists. They usually look like they know they are in the bus lane on sufferance. The main issue I have with them is when they stop in a gap that is too small for them but fine for a cyclist - I wish they would just pull in behind other traffic and leave it free. Not a big safety issue though.

PS Actually I lie - the odd bike marshall in a race has put me in danger. Usually they did a great job of keeping us safe and have to deal with idiot competitors but there was the odd occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Moped idiots pushing through the cycle lane are far worse than most motorbikers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement