Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are motorbikes permitted to use the Bus lane during peak hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

YMMV, but motorbikes tend to be lower than bicycles too. So less chance of seeing that bobbing head over the top of an SUV. Probably only a couple of inches in the difference, but it's there all the same, especially if it's a racing-style motorbike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently had a motorcyclist pull a full bore wheelie straight towards me - and the difference between someone acting a dick on a motorbike like that vs. in a car, is that if the motorcyclist loses control while showboating, the vehicle becomes much more of an uncontrolled projectile than a car would. albeit smaller, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I've had motor bikes mount kerb and follow me through Blackrock & Churchtown off road lanes. Seen cars do the same too though. Bit of a design flaw not having regular spaced bollards to prevent mounting/undertaking

But on topic, had similar to OP on Monday heading into Dundrum, I was overtaking postman on bike in empty bus lane, halfway through heard a motorbike gun it from a good bit back and squeeze between me and car in next lane. Definitely one of the closest passes I've had in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The next progression for a cyclist is a motorbike. We all complain about cars and cyclists but bikers are the true kings of this road. Riding a bicycle then switching to a motorbike before learning how to drive a car is the best thing I've ever done in terms of road awareness and how to drive, cycle, ride properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RasTa wrote: »
    bikers are the true kings of this road
    nah, they're just wannabe cyclists but are too lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

nah, they're just wannabe cyclists but are too lazy.

Can you imagine trying to cycle with all that denim and leather and un aero beards?

Other way round for a commuting cyclist who looks upon the biker but can't afford insurance, test and bike. Especially when they are cycling down a steep hill during a windy October

sure half the people posting to this forum are on bikes costing more than the average secondhand motorbike.

sure half the people posting to this forum are on bikes costing more than the average secondhand motorbike.

Maybe then the bros rider but overall no chance. If you don't have a motorbike or ever ran a marathon, you're not a true cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

RasTa wrote: »
    If you don't have a motorbike or ever ran a marathon, you're not a true cyclist

TIL I am true cyclist! :D I can't hold a 25kmph average for any decent distances but who cares, I am a true cyclist. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Bus lanes are a free for all in Dublin, so the motor-bikers may as well use them like anyone else!

There's enough cars and vans flying down them around the city which need to be caught first..

Though I see in Amsterdam they are moving to take all motor scooters out of the bicycle lanes as they are dangerous and polluting: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a3nng4/amsterdam-is-enacting-a-scooter-ban-cyclists-ebikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Long time motorcyclist, not doing much the last year, but commuted daily for over 10 years on one.
    See no issue with motorbikes using them so as they are sensible, stay within speed limits. It plays a little role in keeping things moving without the risk of blocking buses etc because its very easy to get out of the way if needed.
    Personally think it should officially be made legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

My vision is fine with my motorcycle helmet on - I dont keep my head stationary. There's blind spots for sure, but that's what lifesavers are for.

It's risky on the roads for anybody on 2 wheels. I can understand that cyclists have a certain dislike for bikers but there's bad apples in every bunch. I have a lot of time and respect on the road for cyclists.

terrydel wrote: »
    See no issue with motorbikes using them so as they are sensible, stay within speed limits. .

That would be ideal, it's something I rarely see...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Motorcyclist for many years, cyclist for even more.

Most bikers I see dgaf about cyclists, just treat them like some pox holding them up. I've had plenty of close passes as a cyclist from them and they always do it a ridiculous speed.

When I'm on the bike I consider myself to be a safe rider. I use the bus lanes but give space to cyclists, I dobt speed.

There's definitely a level of awareness you build up riding motorbikes that you don't get cycling but I don't think most bikers give enough respect to cyclists.

site_owner wrote: »
    Motorcyclist for many years, cyclist for even more.Most bikers I see dgaf about cyclists, just treat them like some pox holding them up. I've had plenty of close passes as a cyclist from them and they always do it a ridiculous speed.
    When I'm on the bike I consider myself to be a safe rider. I use the bus lanes but give space to cyclists, I dobt speed.
    There's definitely a level of awareness you build up riding motorbikes that you don't get cycling but I don't think most bikers give enough respect to cyclists.

That's part of my point, motorbikers have almost nothing in common with cyclists, apart from the wheels, cyclists have more in common with pedestrians!

Apart from the Motorbikers around the city, when they hit the hills on the weekends around the Wicklow gap it's all out Isle of Man TT!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's part of my point, motorbikers have almost nothing in common with cyclists, apart from the wheels, cyclists have more in common with pedestrians!

Apart from the Motorbikers around the city, when they hit the hills on the weekends around the Wicklow gap it's all out Isle of Man TT!

Totally agree. I like to think am actively considerate of cyclists on the motorbike and I still think I'm far from perfect, and for me that awareness and consideration comes from my cycling experience, not my riding. And what I see some other riders do is insane

Apart from the cyclists around the city, when they hit the hills on the weekends around the Wicklow gap it's all out Tour De France!!

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have rarely had a problem with motorcyclists. They usually look like they know they are in the bus lane on sufferance. The main issue I have with them is when they stop in a gap that is too small for them but fine for a cyclist - I wish they would just pull in behind other traffic and leave it free. Not a big safety issue though.

PS Actually I lie - the odd bike marshall in a race has put me in danger. Usually they did a great job of keeping us safe and have to deal with idiot competitors but there was the odd occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Moped idiots pushing through the cycle lane are far worse than most motorbikers.

• Advertisement

I'd a fella on a motorbike hop up on a raised central reservation to my right and zip up to the lights and in front of the first car at the lights here last week. There are normally people who've got to the crossing in the middle there due to light traffic comming one why or the other between light changes and it's often crossed away from the lights back towards mc donalds. Couldn't believe what I was seeing cheeky so and so. You get a decent change of the lights there to so no excuse.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7123055,-6.3534457,152m/data=!3m1!1e3 I'd have been the red car or a bit further back there in the middle of that shot.

That would be ideal, it's something I rarely see...

Do you have a built in radar?
    10 years commuting and I think the vast majority of bikers are well behaved, no more or less than motorists.
    Yes, the idiots out at weekends blasting over the likes of the gap can be fools, and as biker I've no problem saying so. I'd happily tell them to their face.
    But I think bikers as a group get a very bad rap and a lot is undeserved. Many of them take it very seriously and that includes riding within the rules in a skillful manner.
    I've always firmly believed that the standard of the average biker is way above the standard of the average motorist, simply because it needs to be given the implications of even a minor accident.
    And anyway, we are all just people at the end of the day, using the roads and wanting to get where we are going in one piece. Lets just have respect for others out there whatever their mode of transport.

Do you have a built in radar?
    10 years commuting and I think the vast majority of bikers are well behaved, no more or less than motorists.
    Yes, the idiots out at weekends blasting over the likes of the gap can be fools, and as biker I've no problem saying so. I'd happily tell them to their face.
    But I think bikers as a group get a very bad rap and a lot is undeserved. Many of them take it very seriously and that includes riding within the rules in a skillful manner.
    I've always firmly believed that the standard of the average biker is way above the standard of the average motorist, simply because it needs to be given the implications of even a minor accident.
    And anyway, we are all just people at the end of the day, using the roads and wanting to get where we are going in one piece. Lets just have respect for others out there whatever their mode of transport.

Obviously not but it doesn't take Batman to figure out that the bikers starting off at the lights take less than 10 seconds to exceed the speed limit on some bikes.

I've also faced bikers head on as they speed going uphill on the other side of the road as they use the full width of the road to get maximum speed.

Off-road around the mountains i've been blasted by groups of motorbikers on scramblers flying around the forests...

Anyways, do we really want to get into this Tit for tat type discussion?

The bottom line is most cyclists feel no affinity at all with motorbikers, they're just fast motorists on two wheels..

there's no doubting that riding a motorbike requires a huge amount of skill, and a level of awareness far above driving a car.

i think bikers in general do a great job of keeping themselves safe, but that often involves behaviors like accelerating very quickly, filtering or squeezing to the front of the lights.

as a cyclist tho, many of those behaviours are done in a way that doesn't respect my vulnerability on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and I think the vast majority of bikers are well behaved....
    I agree.

It's a bit like when motorists complain about cyclists - they only notice the dickheads. Many cyclists only notice the small number of motorcyclists breaking the rules.

(Off topic - Is it just me or has there been a huge reduction in motorcycle couriers over the past few years? They seemed to be everywhere in the 1990's but I only encounter them occasionally now).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I agree.

It's a bit like when motorists complain about cyclists - they only notice the dickheads. Many cyclists only notice the small number of motorcyclists breaking the rules.

(Off topic - Is it just me or has there been a huge reduction in motorcycle couriers over the past few years? They seemed to be everywhere in the 1990's but I only encounter them occasionally now).

Yes - the need for printed material etc being sent asap has gone with the advent of email then shared cloud space etc. So that element has been wiped. Also insurance costs for couriers is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

GBX wrote: »
    Yes - the need for printed material etc being sent asap has gone with the advent of email then shared cloud space etc. So that element has been wiped. Also insurance costs for couriers is huge.
    Of course - never thought of that! :o

Obviously not but it doesn't take Batman to figure out that the bikers starting off at the lights take less than 10 seconds to exceed the speed limit on some bikes.

I've also faced bikers head on as they speed going uphill on the other side of the road as they use the full width of the road to get maximum speed.

Off-road around the mountains i've been blasted by groups of motorbikers on scramblers flying around the forests...

Anyways, do we really want to get into this Tit for tat type discussion?

The bottom line is most cyclists feel no affinity at all with motorbikers, they're just fast motorists on two wheels..

So should we all just decide to agree with you then? You call it tit for tat, I call it calling out your generalising bollox. And for the record I'm not denying any of what you say happened, I'm taking issue with the way you are tarring bikers with the same brush. People are people, bikers aren't a different species.

I agree.

You cant make a living at it now mate, unless you can halt time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I expect, especially within cities, that the difference between bicycle and motorbike couriers is measured in single-digit minutes, but the running costs are thousands cheaper for the bicycle.

Advertisement