Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Tralee from Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with that at all! What businesses have moved to manor from the town centre?

I won't debate it with you just walk into the town centre there's nothing in there only empty units

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

liam7831 wrote: »
    I won't debate it with you just walk into the town centre there's nothing in there only empty units

When was the last time you were in Tralee? I don't know of any businesses who moved up to Manor!?

Ciarrai76 wrote:
    When was the last time you were in Tralee? I don't know of any businesses who moved up to Manor!?

Get your head out of the sand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Get your head out of the sand

Ok! You believe what you want! Don't put people off with exaggerations! (that you can't even back up with examples!)

• Advertisement

"Tralee has a large amount of empty ground floor retail space, with retail space vacant on Edward St, Castle St, and elsewhere in the heart of the town"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I’m living bang in middle between Tralee and Killarney , I lived in Killarney for 5 od years and it’s a way nicer place to live near the town than Tralee .

there’s much nicer places to live outside both Tralee and Killarney like milltown or castlemaine , even Killorglin has nice places on outskirts and you are 20/30 mins from both.

I will say there are parts of Tralee I avoid , especially if I have kids with me , although I wouldn’t go as far as calling Tralee a dump.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Tralee town centre is pretty much empty at this stage lots of businesses have moved out to Manor. I'm from Kerry but wouldn't move to Tralee

Utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

Hi again. We have looked at a number of houses over the last couple of weeks and have my heart set on one. A local person told me investors are buying up everything and renting them out. Is there any thruth in this? Will it make buying impossible? Especially if I am not living in the town at the moment? Thanls

Hi again. We have looked at a number of houses over the last couple of weeks and have my heart set on one. A local person told me investors are buying up everything and renting them out. Is there any thruth in this? Will it make buying impossible? Especially if I am not living in the town at the moment? Thanls

Not sure if that’s what’s happening. Unless it’s the properties being sold by auction. Some have been sold by banks and a few were sold in lots. The rental market here in Tralee is very competitive and there’s very little around. So maybe people are seeing the opportunity there. It would most like be houses in estates or apartments which would be bought to rent.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Not sure if that’s what’s happening. Unless it’s the properties being sold by auction. Some have been sold by banks and a few were sold in lots. The rental market here in Tralee is very competitive and there’s very little around. So maybe people are seeing the opportunity there. It would most like be houses in estates or apartments which would be bought to rent.
    Thanks for your reply. Fingers crossed investors wont be interested in the house I have spotted!

Hi again. Just looking for even more advice! We are now trying to buy a house in Tralee and it is proving to be a minefield. We have bid on 3 different houses with 3 different estate agents. One of the agents was lovely and kept us informed. The other 2 are so difficult to deal with. Not returning calls. Telling us the vendor wants x price. We offered it and the agent never got back to me. Is this normal? Am feeling like we might never manage to buy!

Hi again. Just looking for even more advice! We are now trying to buy a house in Tralee and it is proving to be a minefield. We have bid on 3 different houses with 3 different estate agents. One of the agents was lovely and kept us informed. The other 2 are so difficult to deal with. Not returning calls. Telling us the vendor wants x price. We offered it and the agent never got back to me. Is this normal? Am feeling like we might never manage to buy!

Its not normal (or professional) for agents not to get back to vendors, but I have heard of it happening. I am related to an estate agent and I know he would never act in such a way. I don't understand why they wouldn't keep you in the loop! Especially if you have made an offer, that's unreal!
    PM me if you like! :)

Alhpa wrote: »
    Crime, drugs and antisocial behavior unfortunately on the rise.

Google traleetoday.ie crime Tralee

Same as anywhere, not really relevant to this thread!

It’s 100% relevant.

Why? It happens almost everywhere! Not exactly breaking news! :rolleyes:

Killarney or Kenmare wouldn’t have a rise in crime, drugs or anti social behavior in relation to Tralee. This is a fact nothing to get personal or worked up about.

No one is getting worked up about it, just also stating a fact that its happening in most places! Small towns in Kerry have had murders etc so it happens in the least likely of places! I lived in Dublin for many years and would prefer to live in Tralee. I had my flat broken into in Dublin, my car vandalised 3 times...hasn't happened once here to us, or my family, thankfully..fingers crossed it won't, but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I went hill walking in Kerry years ago and stopped for a sandwich at a deli. The woman behind the counter had a Dublin accent. Well, I ordered my toppings for the sandwich and upon finishing the woman with the Dublin accent said "do you want cheese too?" The cheese was still in its original packaging and it was Dubliner cheese. I decided not to have cheese. Later, when I was thinking about it the thought came to me that Munster people might not be partial to Dubliner cheese anyway and the poor woman was probably trying to push it before it went out of date. It sounds funny but the moral of the story is when in Munster, do as the Munster people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

my advice = dont move to tralee.

Move anywhere else in Kerry instead.

Anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I could almost tell you who you're talking about.

Pm me if you want more information

I went hill walking in Kerry years ago and stopped for a sandwich at a deli. The woman behind the counter had a Dublin accent. Well, I ordered my toppings for the sandwich and upon finishing the woman with the Dublin accent said "do you want cheese too?" The cheese was still in its original packaging and it was Dubliner cheese. I decided not to have cheese. Later, when I was thinking about it the thought came to me that Munster people might not be partial to Dubliner cheese anyway and the poor woman was probably trying to push it before it went out of date. It sounds funny but the moral of the story is when in Munster, do as the Munster people.

The real reason why Kerry folk might not be so partial to Dubliner cheese is that it's actually made in Cork! :D

• Advertisement

my advice = dont move to tralee.

Move anywhere else in Kerry instead.

Anywhere.

Wow, very informative post! :rolleyes:

Quackster wrote: »
    Wow, very informative post! :rolleyes:

Extremely helpful! I'm sure the person who is moving to Tralee is going to change their mind now! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It's just my advice.

Doubt they'll change their house location based on a stranger from the internet

If you want details

Everywhere else in Kerry has nicer ambience than tralee imo

Tralee has BY FAR the worst nightlife of anywhere in Kerry imo

Tralee has a nasty anti social element compared to elsewhere in kerry imo

Far more "dodgy and scummy " types in tralee than anywhere else in Kerry

Way less events and promotion and general buzz in tralee compared to all the other towns in Kerry imo

The anti social element out number the nice normal folk in many many areas of tralee imo

The town centre in tralee is horrible imo. More likely to see knackers quarrelling than a nice happening in the square imo

Past 7pm the town centre is either dead or has anti social people there the majority of the week imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's just my advice.

Doubt they'll change their house location based on a stranger from the internet

If you want details

Everywhere else in Kerry has nicer ambience than tralee imo

Tralee has BY FAR the worst nightlife of anywhere in Kerry imo

Tralee has a nasty anti social element compared to elsewhere in kerry imo

Far more "dodgy and scummy " types in tralee than anywhere else in Kerry

Way less events and promotion and general buzz in tralee compared to all the other towns in Kerry imo

The anti social element out number the nice normal folk in many many areas of tralee imo

The town centre in tralee is horrible imo. More likely to see knackers quarrelling than a nice happening in the square imo

Past 7pm the town centre is either dead or has anti social people there the majority of the week imo

I would agree with all of the above.

There are way nicer places within easy distance of Tralee than Tralee itself.

But if the poster is set on buying in Tralee best of luck.

*Everywhere else in Kerry has nicer ambience than tralee imo*

Define 'everywhere else'! Castleisland, Listowel, Rathmore? I was in the town centre this afternoon and the ambience was pretty damm good actually.

*Tralee has BY FAR the worst nightlife of anywhere in Kerry imo*

Again, define 'anywhere in Kerry'. I'd agree with the criticism of Tralee's nightlife though. It is poor for the size of the town IMO and relative to Killarney and Dingle.

*Tralee has a nasty anti social element compared to elsewhere in kerry imo*

Again, 'elsewhere in Kerry'? There is an anti-social element but I'd say it's par-for-the-course for the size of the town. Remember, Tralee is over twice the population of Killarney, the next largest town in Kerry.

*Far more "dodgy and scummy " types in tralee than anywhere else in Kerry*

Again, as with the previous post. There are actually some "dodgy and scummy" types in Killarney that'd put the worst in Tralee to shame! If you've never crossed paths with them, be very thankful!

*Way less events and promotion and general buzz in tralee compared to all the other towns in Kerry imo*

Patently untrue. There are many festivals and other events organised in Tralee throughout the year.

*The anti social element out number the nice normal folk in many many areas of tralee imo*

As with any urban area of any size, there are certain areas within Tralee where those of a certain social class tend to be clustered. But even in those areas the decent folk would well outnumber the anti-social element.

*The town centre in tralee is horrible imo. More likely to see knackers quarrelling than a nice happening in the square imo*

Again, total nonsense. A lot of money has been spent improving the appearance of the town centre in recent years and it shows.

*Past 7pm the town centre is either dead or has anti social people there the majority of the week imo*

Yep, unfortunately the town can appear rather dead in the evenings. As for the 'anti-social people', this seems to be an obsession of yours and you've been spending all your time in Tralee outside the homeless shelter!

It's all relative to what somebody is looking for in a place to live. Yes, much of the county is obviously aesthetically more pleasant than Tralee but aesthetics isn't everything. For me, I'd be very quickly pulling my hair out if I was stuck living in a small town or village for lack of the amenities I require and being completely car-dependant to go anywhere or do anything.

Killarney is the only other town of scale in Kerry that can be reasonably compared with Tralee on a like-for-like basis and obviously it trumps Tralee in many ways, but not in every way. IMO Tralee is more affordable, has better retail and its proximity to the Atlantic ocean is fantastic.

*Everywhere else in Kerry has nicer ambience than tralee imo*

Define 'everywhere else'! Castleisland, Listowel, Rathmore? I was in the town centre this afternoon and the ambience was pretty damm good actually.

*Tralee has BY FAR the worst nightlife of anywhere in Kerry imo*

Again, define 'anywhere in Kerry'. I'd agree with the criticism of Tralee's nightlife though. It is poor for the size of the town IMO and relative to Killarney and Dingle.

*Tralee has a nasty anti social element compared to elsewhere in kerry imo*

Again, 'elsewhere in Kerry'? There is an anti-social element but I'd say it's par-for-the-course for the size of the town. Remember, Tralee is over twice the population of Killarney, the next largest town in Kerry.

*Far more "dodgy and scummy " types in tralee than anywhere else in Kerry*

Again, as with the previous post. There are actually some "dodgy and scummy" types in Killarney that'd put the worst in Tralee to shame! If you've never crossed paths with them, be very thankful!

*Way less events and promotion and general buzz in tralee compared to all the other towns in Kerry imo*

Patently untrue. There are many festivals and other events organised in Tralee throughout the year.

*The anti social element out number the nice normal folk in many many areas of tralee imo*

As with any urban area of any size, there are certain areas within Tralee where those of a certain social class tend to be clustered. But even in those areas the decent folk would well outnumber the anti-social element.

*The town centre in tralee is horrible imo. More likely to see knackers quarrelling than a nice happening in the square imo*

Again, total nonsense. A lot of money has been spent improving the appearance of the town centre in recent years and it shows.

*Past 7pm the town centre is either dead or has anti social people there the majority of the week imo*

Yep, unfortunately the town can appear rather dead in the evenings. As for the 'anti-social people', this seems to be an obsession of yours and you've been spending all your time in Tralee outside the homeless shelter!

Well said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The real reason why Kerry folk might not be so partial to Dubliner cheese is that it's actually made in Cork! :D

... but with a Dublin recipe.

Thanks for all the replies. I am certainly open to other areas. Can you suggest one?

My husbands family are from Tralee so that is the draw. I have always had a lovely time when I am there. Mind you I have young children so wouldnt be out late kicking my heels up.

I suppose I love the proximity to beaches, walks, outdoorsy stuff.

Am from a very small town so cant imagine living in a village. Maybe I am wrong. Happy to take suggestions please.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. I am certainly open to other areas. Can you suggest one?

My husbands family are from Tralee so that is the draw. I have always had a lovely time when I am there. Mind you I have young children so wouldnt be out late kicking my heels up.

I suppose I love the proximity to beaches, walks, outdoorsy stuff.

Am from a very small town so cant imagine living in a village. Maybe I am wrong. Happy to take suggestions please.

You could also look for a house on the outskirts such as Ardfert, The Spa, Fenit etc. At least they aren’t far from town but in nice areas and very close to the beaches!

Advertisement