Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Tralee from Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Thanks for all the replies. I am certainly open to other areas. Can you suggest one?

My husbands family are from Tralee so that is the draw. I have always had a lovely time when I am there. Mind you I have young children so wouldnt be out late kicking my heels up.

I suppose I love the proximity to beaches, walks, outdoorsy stuff.

Am from a very small town so cant imagine living in a village. Maybe I am wrong. Happy to take suggestions please.

If you can afford it , move to killarney. 1000%

National park has hours and hours of outdoor beauty and walks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you can afford it , move to killarney. 1000%

National park has hours and hours of outdoor beauty and walks

Its 20 minutes or so from Tralee. Beaches closer to Tralee than Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Killarney is 30mins from Tralee realistically.

And its a lot more expensive.

Places north and west of Tralee will be very close to both Tralee and the beaches.
    Examples
    Fenit
    Ardfert
    Ballyheigue

Further out the Dingle peninsula you would have Camp and Annascaul
    Beaches on your door step, but 20+ minutes to Tralee

Then in mid Kerry you would have Castlemaine, Milltown and Killorglin
    Castlemaine is about 20 mins form Tralee, Killorglin is 30, but all are close to beaches, (Inch and Rosbeigh mainly)

All of the above mentioned towns are of different sizes, Killorglin being a town in its own right and Camp being a small village, so look at them individually to see if they suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

Killarney is 30mins from Tralee realistically.

And its a lot more expensive.

Places north and west of Tralee will be very close to both Tralee and the beaches.
    Examples
    Fenit
    Ardfert
    Ballyheigue

Further out the Dingle peninsula you would have Camp and Annascaul
    Beaches on your door step, but 20+ minutes to Tralee

Then in mid Kerry you would have Castlemaine, Milltown and Killorglin
    Castlemaine is about 20 mins form Tralee, Killorglin is 30, but all are close to beaches, (Inch and Rosbeigh mainly)

All of the above mentioned towns are of different sizes, Killorglin being a town in its own right and Camp being a small village, so look at them individually to see if they suit.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Have a friend in kilorglin who has suggested it too. At this stage I am thinking we could rent for a while and check it out.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thank you for all your suggestions. Have a friend in kilorglin who has suggested it too. At this stage I am thinking we could rent for a while and check it out.

That might be the wisest course of action to determine what exactly you're looking for. Remember, Tralee is an order of magnitude bigger than Killorglin so they really are chalk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

For the best location and central to everything, cheaper houses, you might check out Milltown:
    8 miles to Killarney & Killarney Railway Stn
    8 miles to Kerry Airport & Farranfore Railway Stn
    4 miles to Killorglin & its amenities
    15 miles to Tralee & its amenities
    30 miles to Dingle & its amenities
    Less than 1/2 hour to beaches Rossbeigh, Cromane, Inch
    One Primary & Secondary School
    Mid Kerry location so on right side for travelling to Dublin
    Renting is less than €1,000/month, so give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

James 007 wrote: »
    For the best location and central to everything, cheaper houses, you might check out Milltown:
    8 miles to Killarney & Killarney Railway Stn
    8 miles to Kerry Airport & Farranfore Railway Stn
    4 miles to Killorglin & its amenities
    15 miles to Tralee & its amenities
    30 miles to Dingle & its amenities
    Less than 1/2 hour to beaches Rossbeigh, Cromane, Inch
    One Primary & Secondary School
    Mid Kerry location so on right side for travelling to Dublin
    Renting is less than €1,000/month, so give it a go

Milltown is full.

New primary school only open 3 years, needs a new extension.

New secondary school also open 3 years has a waiting list.

No new development house wise even though planning permission for some old lapsed Celtic tiger era "Phase 2, Phase 3" developments have been revised and granted.

Rental properties close to the village are hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You could consider Listowel. There is a lovely town park where I did a parkrun a while back. A gas pipeline has been connected there recently, I could see them digging in the road. It has a gaelscoil and secondary school. The Great Southern Greenway is also due to connect Listowel with Rathkeale, a fantastic off road route for walking and kids cycling.

Listowel would be between Tralee and Limerick so gives one more work options. There is also a big horse racing festival every September and a big cultural/poetry/arts scene.

I have no idea of what the housing or social scene is like but it seemed a nice place.

You could consider Listowel. There is a lovely town park where I did a parkrun a while back. A gas pipeline has been connected there recently, I could see them digging in the road. It has a gaelscoil and secondary school. The Great Southern Greenway is also due to connect Listowel with Rathkeale, a fantastic off road route for walking and kids cycling.

Listowel would be between Tralee and Limerick so gives one more work options. There is also a big horse racing festival every September and a big cultural/poetry/arts scene.

I have no idea of what the housing or social scene is like but it seemed a nice place.

Thank u for that. Didnt realise it had a Gaelscoil. Met a colleague at the wknd and she told me she had lived there and loved it. It seems to be a lovely town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Thank u for that. Didnt realise it had a Gaelscoil. Met a colleague at the wknd and she told me she had lived there and loved it. It seems to be a lovely town.

This is the place I did the parkrun.
    http://www.listowel.ie/see-amp-do/heritage-walks-and-park/listowel-town-park

• Advertisement

I'd also recommend Listowel. Good amenities, including an excellent cinema. Due to be bypassed in the next few years too which will alleviate its traffic issues. Having access to natural gas is a major advantage that shouldn't be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Quackster wrote: »
    ....natural gas is a major advantage that shouldn't be sniffed at.

For health reasons?

I would agree. Gas should never be sniffed at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Unfortunately Tralee and Listowel have suffered quite a bit lately-both in terms of the jobs market, and facilities.

Broadband has been a major issue for a long, long time-God, must be going on ten years or longer. It can often just cut out, no warning.
    Many who are working are commuting to work in neighouring counties like Cork, Limerick, or Tipperary. If you can't drive, it can be brutal. There are good taxi services tho, and there is a pretty good social scene too. But like I said, it can be isolated. (Can't rely too much on the buses).

The Listowel Cinema is a small, more independent cinema. There's the Tralee Omniplex too, which has more screens and shows films in 3D (something the Listowel one cannot).

Unfortunately, like anywhere, there is a drug problem in both towns. There was a stabbing in Listowel a few weeks back, and unfortunately it was substance related.

Overall though, the town(s) are friendly and do have a lot of amenities. Best of luck.

On the issue of broadband, there is excellent 1Gb/s fibre broadband available in Tralee from both Siro and Eir but obviously you have to check before you buy if either are available at a specific premises. There is also decent VDSL broadband on Eir copper available in both Listowel and Tralee (and the other towns and larger villages) but again you have to check the exact availability at any specific premises as VDSL speeds can be variable.

Go outside the urban areas and broadband quality drops dramatically, as is only to be expected.

Thanks for the broadband info. Definately something we need to consider, particularly for mu husbands job.

Sounds like the social life and entertainment scene is great in either town. Although I really like Listowel I do think the lack of public transport brings our search back to Tralee. You cant beat the train for convenience really.

Still no word from the Estate Agent who has our lastest bid on a house. I do wonder if he has even told the family. Very hard to understand the carry on.

At this stage I think we will rent for a while but that seems to be another issue. Very little for rent around Tralee.

As for drug problem..... its so sad that it is in every town and village in Ireland. Heartbreaking for families involved. I work in innercity Dublin and every news broadcast mentions the area due to drug related crime.unfortunately there is no getting away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

I'd echo some of the comments here, don't move to Tralee. It's simply not a nice place to live.

Benildus wrote: »
    I'd echo some of the comments here, don't move to Tralee. It's simply not a nice place to live.

:rolleyes:

Tralee isn't that had a place to live. Like everywhere there are areas to avoid but you could say the same about Dublin.

Personally moving from one estate in Dublin to another in Kerry wouldn't be something I'd consider.

Ideally get a place easily accessible from the now numerous bypasses around the town.

• Advertisement

Ideally get a place easily accessible from the now numerous bypasses around the town.

I get the attraction of that but adding to the urban sprawl into the countryside where you and your family are utterly dependant on cars is totally unsustainable going forward.

I personally wouldn't live anywhere where the road passing my front door didn't have a footpath and street lights.

I frequently travel to/from Dublin, mostly by train, and am fortunate to live within walking distance at both ends. I wouldn't trade any amount of countryside scenery for that convenience!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

In your opinion, it doesn't mean others feel the same!
    Have you lived in Tralee?

I get the attraction of that but adding to the urban sprawl into the countryside where you and your family are utterly dependant on cars is totally unsustainable going forward.

I personally wouldn't live anywhere where the road passing my front door didn't have a footpath and street lights.

I frequently travel to/from Dublin, mostly by train, and am fortunate to live within walking distance at both ends. I wouldn't trade any amount of countryside scenery for that convenience!

Horses for courses!!!

Some people want to get away from the "urban sprawl"

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    In your opinion, it doesn't mean others feel the same!
    Have you lived in Tralee?

And like everyone else here I'm entitled to voice my opinion, just like you are entitled to defend Tralee to the hilt as you every time anyone criticises the place.

Yes I have lived in Tralee unfortunately, for a miserable 8 months - never again!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback - great work there Mr/Mrs Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

Move to Ballyheigue, two great beaches on your doorstep in Ballyheigue beach and banna beach.
    Nice friendly people in the village and all the amenities you need in a seaside village.
    Moved here 8 years ago and I swear it has rejuvenated my mind and soul from the crazy daily traffic in Dublin.
    Just my two cents though :)

conor05 wrote: »
    Move to Ballyheigue, two great beaches on your doorstep in Ballyheigue beach and banna beach.
    Nice friendly people in the village and all the amenities you need in a seaside village.
    Moved here 8 years ago and I swear it has rejuvenated my mind and soul from the crazy daily traffic in Dublin.
    Just my two cents though :)

Sounds great. Thank you for that.

And like everyone else here I'm entitled to voice my opinion, just like you are entitled to defend Tralee to the hilt as you every time anyone criticises the place.

Yes I have lived in Tralee unfortunately, for a miserable 8 months - never again!

Do you kind me asking why it was miserable?

Do you kind me asking why it was miserable?

The main thing I found with Tralee town was there weren't enough appropriate areas (parks, woods etc) nearby to be able to go for a decent walk in the fresh air, if you want that you have to drive a decent distance to be able to find it.

The restaurants and pubs in Tralee aren't great either and there is a bigger than usual anti-social element in Tralee in comparison to other places I've lived in.

• Advertisement

I get that. Thanks for ur reply.

I usually drive to Camp and walk there. Ballyseedy is nice too. And the canal walk to Blennerville.

Maybe the antisocial behaviour depends on where u live in Tralee or anywhere else. My inlaws live in a very nice area so I havent seen much of that side of things. But as I work in Dublin inner city maybe I have become immune over the years!

Advertisement