Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Players from other countys that would make Dublin first 15

• 15-08-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭

There are not many I could think of presently. Conor McManus, Lee Keegan, Damien Comer. Would David Clifford. Who else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

billyhead wrote: »
    There are not many I could think of presently. Conor McManus, Lee Keegan, Damien Comer. Would David Clifford. Who else?

Michael murphy?
    Peter harte

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

On form (notwithstanding any historic context), Graham Brody and Rory Beggan are better goalkeepers for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Mickey Harte as a manager.

Colm Cavanagh
    Conor McManus
    Peter Harte
    Patrick McBrearty
    Tiernan McCann
    Mattie Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I want to say Odhran and Mini McHugh... but I can't decide if that's just because I want to see them play on a team like ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Can't think of any outside the OP. Maybe Beggan, but I'd still rather rely on Cluxton I think.

• Advertisement

Colm Cavanagh
    Conor McManus
    Peter Harte
    Patrick McBrearty
    Tiernan McCann
    Mattie Donnelly

The recent vintage Cavanagh Óg though. Long gone are times when he was the butt of many exasperated jokes when myself and the Dungannonand Augh crew would have the displeasure of him.

Petey is a strong possibility. But again I'm supremely biased given how much grá I have for the man.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Can't think of any outside the OP. Maybe Beggan, but I'd still rather rely on Cluxton I think.

If it was Cluxton haring down the pitch the last day...

If it was Cluxton haring down the pitch the last day...

Remember, if Cluxton misplaces one single kick then he has CRUMBLED.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

There'd be quite a few tbh.

Ryan McHugh, Peter Harte, Mattie Donnelly, Drew Wylie, David Moran (when he has his game face on). I think we'd make something of Aidan O'Shea too.

You can keep Colm Cavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Damien Comer? Not a chance.

The others are all good shouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Who would you drop for any of these players though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Colm Cavanagh
    Conor McManus
    Peter Harte
    Patrick McBrearty
    Tiernan McCann
    Mattie Donnelly

I don't think Tiernan McCann would start.

corny wrote: »
    There'd be quite a few tbh.

Ryan McHugh, Peter Harte, Mattie Donnelly, Drew Wylie, David Moran (when he has his game face on). I think we'd make something of Aidan O'Shea too.

You can keep Colm Cavanagh.

Moran is about the only Kerryman I would take and would love to see in our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you are going to include someone, you will have to exclude someone else. And you would have to justify the change.

Would Beggan have saved the penalty last Saturday? Were his kickout percentages as good in the semis? Cluxton saved a penalty, made a number of other interceptions and saves and controlled his kickout again. There was one kick-out 65 yards into McCarthy's chest in the 18th minute which was fantastic, led to a Paul Mannion miss.

Dublin lack a traditional imposing full-back since RO'C headed off. That is one position that might see someone come in. However, their style of defending has changed to accommodate that, so maybe not. They tend to name Cian O'Sullivan in there but he plays sweeper and one or two others (Small, Murchan) tend to get man-marking details with the full-back duties rotated. Could be a place, but I am not sure who could fill it.

A Hail Mary option off the bench instead of O'Gara might be an option. Then again, O'Gara scored 2-2 against Roscommon. Comer got 2 points against Roscommon, and the starting Galway forward line only managed 9 points from play against them. If not Comer, maybe Murphy in that role, if he doesn't make midfield.

If you play Lee Keegan and Peter Harte in the team (or any other of the half-back suggestions), which two of Johnny Cooper, James McCarthy and Jack McCaffrey do you drop?

Second midfielder is another one, and possibly where the best case can be made. McAuley is older than he was, Howard is not yet ready playing there, being used at half-forward or half-back. McCarthy is also more of a half-back. So a good argument for Murphy or Cavanagh could be made this season, until Howard is ready next year.

McManus for Rock is another possibility, but Rock has scored frees to win All-Irelands, unlike others such as Cillian O'Connor who have missed frees to win All-Irelands. It would be a brave choice to put McManus ahead of Rock, given that record. Finally, Clifford would make the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you are going to include someone, you will have to exclude someone else. And you would have to justify the change.

Would Beggan have saved the penalty last Saturday? Were his kickout percentages as good in the semis? Cluxton saved a penalty, made a number of other interceptions and saves and controlled his kickout again. There was one kick-out 65 yards into McCarthy's chest in the 18th minute which was fantastic, led to a Paul Mannion miss.

McManus for Rock is another possibility, but Rock has scored frees to win All-Irelands, unlike others such as Cillian O'Connor who have missed frees to win All-Irelands. It would be a brave choice to put McManus ahead of Rock, given that record.

Cluxton was also at fault for Galway's first goal, but you havent mentioned that?

And McManus a possibility over Rock lol that's a good one :D:D

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Cluxton was also at fault for Galway's first goal, but you havent mentioned that?

Quite right he was but does that one mistake discounts every other part of his skillset?

What was Beggan's excuse for literally kicking away an AIF chance?

A bit of perspective.

You want to go back and watch the last few minutes of the Monaghan Fermanagh game.

Quite right he was but does that one mistake discounts every other part of his skillset?

What was Beggan's excuse for literally kicking away an AIF chance?

A bit of perspective.

No it doesnt discount anything, merely pointing out the one sideness of the post and he was the one who refernced that game in particular.

I never said anything about Beggan so no idea why you are asking me that?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

paddy mcbrearty

Patww79 wrote: »
    You want to go back and watch the last few minutes of the Monaghan Fermanagh game.

I have watched McManus his entire career and he is clearly a superior footballer than Rock and to be honest anyone suggesting otherwise is talking through their......

If Rock was from Monaghan no one would even know who he was.

• Advertisement

No it doesnt discount anything, merely pointing out the one sideness of the post and he was the one who refernced that game in particular.

The one-sidedness of his post was to do with why he thought Cluxton would be ahead of Beggan. Naturally he would be biased for Cluxton. Outside of the brainfart though, Cluxton was imperious on Saturday.

I have watched McManus his entire career and he is clearly a superior footballer than Rock and to be honest anyone suggesting otherwise is talking through their......

If Rock was from Monaghan no one would even know who he was.

Probably not as he wouldn't be a serial All Ireland Winner.

Ah give over ya lamb.

The one-sidedness of his post was to do with why he thought Cluxton would be aghead of Beggan. Baturally he would be biased for Cluxton. Outside of the brainfart though, Cluxton was imperious on Saturday.

I'm glad you admit it was a biased post, thanks for the insult as well, classy!.
    Probably not as he wouldn't be a serial All Ireland Winner.

Ahhh that was my point :rolleyes:

He was, which when you see him coming off his line only two minutes later to kill a Galway attack and then saving a penalty, make him only go up in your estimation. Ice-cold reaction to a mistake.

Compare that to Clarke's meltdown at the end of last year's All-Ireland final, or Beggan's kick in the air on Sunday, the contrast in mentality is stark.

As for any freetaker over Rock, when they have nailed a free in the last minute to win a final, then talk to me. I remember Maurice Fitzgerald kicking a sideline in the last minute to beat Dublin, now I would take him, but that is the level you need to be at to get into this Dublin team.

So which goalkeeper would replace Cluxton. I respect Beggan as the second-best in the country at the moment, but if you have another nominee, please....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

I would start McManus over Rock. Rock is clinical at set pieces but his overall game is inferior to Conor McManus. McBrearty is a better player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He was, which when you see him coming off his line only two minutes later to kill a Galway attack and then saving a penalty, make him only go up in your estimation. Ice-cold reaction to a mistake.

Compare that to Clarke's meltdown at the end of last year's All-Ireland final, or Beggan's kick in the air on Sunday, the contrast in mentality is stark.

As for any freetaker over Rock, when they have nailed a free in the last minute to win a final, then talk to me. I remember Maurice Fitzgerald kicking a sideline in the last minute to beat Dublin, now I would take him, but that is the level you need to be at to get into this Dublin team.

Clarke did not have a mental meltdown at the end of last years final.

He had no one to kick to as all Mayo players within range were being wrestled to the ground.

I'm glad you admit it was a biased post, thanks for the insult as well, classy!.

Ahhh that was my point :rolleyes:

Stop being so short and maybe my "classiness" would subside.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I could see possibly Ryan McHugh in the Dublin team. Based on that I would say I would be biased towards Ryan McHugh. Get it?

Blanch reckons that Cluxton would be a better choice than Beggan so of course he is biased. County affiliations have nothing to do with the bias here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

. I remember Maurice Fitzgerald kicking a sideline in the last minute to beat Dublin, now I would take him, but that is the level you need to be at to get into this Dublin team.

That kick was to draw the game. I was only 14 but i was at it with my Dad, down in the opposite corner but seeing the ball just drop over was a beautiful sight. Remember Vinny Murphy coming on for the Dubs and giving the entire team and support a massive lift. After being up by loads, we got out of jail that day.

• Advertisement

Clarke did not have a mental meltdown at the end of last years final.

He had no one to kick to as all Mayo players within range were being wrestled to the ground.

That is an urban myth.

For the first kickout, there was wrestling. Kilkenny got a black card.

For the second kickout, there were three free Mayo men on one side of the pitch. Clarke kicked it out over the sideline on the other side.

Watch it again.

Advertisement