Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrimination seems to only apply to women.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

#MeTooBedSemi ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

givyjoe wrote: »
    Simple, go on daft and use the filter for females (or male) under the ads for sharing.

If a group of women is advertising for a female housemate, I don't see the issue. Same if a group of men wants a male housemate. They have the right to free association.

However, as noted, it is already illegal under anti-discrimination legislation for a landlord to state that a house is for rent to "females only."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Its rampant, even in Wimbledon women get equal prize money for doing 3 sets while men have to do 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Its rampant, even in Wimbledon women get equal prize money for doing 3 sets while men have to do 5.

Oh I have long since called bollocks on that - I'm a huge tennis fan and have seen titles won by Roger Federer where he played more games in the final that the female winner did in the whole tournament, yet they get the same pay!

If a gender pay gap can be mythically created from dodgy and irrelevant data - then surely the "prize money per game" in tennis is a gap in itself ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Are you talking about the moral right or legal right to feel comfortable? I can't imagine either applying to tenants not feeling comfortable based on a man/woman's race.

I'm at a uni in the UK and during an open day some kid's parents asked a colleague could her daughter be spared living with Asian girls/boys at the dorms. Does her comfort trump equality? I'm not attacking you just wonder how it could work in practice. Should we indulge everyone's discomfort based on their own views against women, men, jew, gentile or African?

Dorms have nothing to do with this.

Most of the rooms for rent is with people who have bought a house

Are you now telling people that go out and spend a couple of hundred grand to buy a house, that they are not entitled to request which gender they can rent a room to?

jacksie66 wrote: »
    When I was looking for a place to rent in Limerick last year I came across a few places that specified no Non Muslims in the ad.

Try THAT the other way round! Might as well write the cheque for the fine now.

When I was looking for a place to rent in Limerick last year I came across a few places that specified no Non Muslims in the ad.

Show an example of that??

No website like Daft etc would even allow you put up an ad like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If a group of women is advertising for a female housemate, I don't see the issue. Same if a group of men wants a male housemate. They have the right to free association.

However, as noted, it is already illegal under anti-discrimination legislation for a landlord to state that a house is for rent to "females only."

Perhaps that wasn't specifically aimed at me, but all I suggested was looking at daft and using the filter under 'sharing' to see the ads in question.

• Advertisement

It was on daft. The house was located in Dooradoyle in Limerick.

All ad's that go on daft are proof read. I was putting up ad and just copied and pasted from a few years back. I had included "professionals only" and they stopped it. Told me to edit it and then send it back for approval.....

So if they won't allow professional only I doubt they will allow what you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I guess the norms of society would say that on average the girls are cleaner and less likely to do physical damage.

Former long suffering hotel porter here and myself and any bar staff can confidently say at the end of the night cleaning the ladies is a nightmare compared to the gents

Cleaner on average? Not in my houseshare experience either

I saw it with my own eyes, on the app on my phone. I don't know if the ad was taken down or whatnot but it was definitely up.

I very much doubt it....daft itself could be prosecuted for putting up religious hate message.....

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Former long suffering hotel porter here and myself and any bar staff can confidently say at the end of the night cleaning the ladies is a nightmare compared to the gents

Cleaner on average? Not in my houseshare experience either

Every person I know in the hospitality or service industries agrees with you!

A work colleague's sister has a cleaning gig that occasionally gets extra work when the K Club has a massive event on.

Even the higher up you go, the Ladies' are still a mess at the end of the night!

I prefer using the gents, the lads don't mind as long as there's no peeking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I guess the norms of society would say that on average the girls are cleaner and less likely to do physical damage.

The ads are discriminatory of course but the owner can choose the tenants so no point wasting someones time.

On a wider level, us men really are on our own in the world and need a thick skin.

When I was looking for a place I found that the advertisements for women only are places where a woman lives. And they think a female housemate would be safer.

I saw a few saying men only.

I saw loads with would suit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

There is nothing wrong with discrimination...shock horror.

People discriminate all day long however the minute an employer does it people are somehow appalled.

Grayson wrote: »
    When I was looking for a place I found that the advertisements for women only are places where a woman lives. And they think a female housemate would be safer.

I saw a few saying men only.

I saw loads with would suit.....

I'd prefer to share with no one at all at my stage of life but of forced to by circumstances I'd share with blokes any day.

I may be bumpy of chest and high of voice but the similarities end there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

On the plus side menfolk in Paris can now avail of street open public urinals.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2018/0813/984858-france-urinals-paris/

Ahh, Paris the city of romance and instant bladder relief.

• Advertisement

How would you like to pee
    Down by the Seine with me
    Oh, what I'd give for a number two
    Under the bridges of Paris with you

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stanley1989

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Identify as a house, then you’ll have somewhere to live.

Brilliant .. With all these crazy folk identifying as random things these days nothing would shock me if in the future people could actually identity as a house

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Or that you've got a semi.....

and something about back door access

Brilliant .. With all these crazy folk identifying as random things these days nothing would shock me if in the future people could actually identity as a house

The sad thing is I had a student a few years ago came out as transgender. She (Male to female) took a year out, had her surgery and came back as a woman.

She has gone through pain, therapy, ostracising by some backwards classmates and many of her family disowning her. She's Zoroastrian but I couldn't tell you what that is in detail.

These idiots who are non binary, partially binary, declaring as a man through the week, a woman at weekends and a bloody bear cub on bank holidays are seriously p**sing in the face of this brave kid who has gone through more suffering that most people I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

How would you like to pee
    Down by the Seine with me
    Oh, what I'd give for a number two
    Under the bridges of Paris with you

In Paris, men can pee in the street,
    but don’t splash your feet or people you meet.
    Near seine, past the tents is the other place to vent
    until your hearts content.

2BxFoOf.png

In Paris, men can pee in the street,
    but don’t splash your feet or people you meet.
    Near seine, past the tents is the other place to vent
    until your hearts content.

2BxFoOf.png

I envy blokes!!! Nearest I've got is a bush in Capenhurst station in the UK.

I HOPE there was no CCTV lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you talking about the moral right or legal right to feel comfortable? I can't imagine either applying to tenants not feeling comfortable based on a man/woman's race.
    Well, both. The equal status act doesn't apply to situations where someone is bringing in a tenant to share a house. Any current residents get veto and a rejected person cannot fall back on the equal status act.

So if a current resident says, "I don't want to live with Jews", then as horrible as that sounds, he is permitted to say that.
    Should we indulge everyone's discomfort based on their own views against women, men, jew, gentile or African?
    In practice, it's not an issue. Remember that we're talking about people's right to choose who to bring in to their home, we're not talking about landlords choosing who to rent the property to.

And I think to a certain extent, yes we should indulge it. Because let's face it, a black guy doesn't want to live with a Nazi. A man doesn't want to live with a misandrist.

In your uni example, if someone doesn't want to live with Asians, that's fine. But if they get assigned to share with Asians, then it's up to them to request to be moved, it's not up to the uni to ensure they don't get placed with Asians, or to have the Asians moved.
    And if they begrudgingly stay but engage in racism, they get evicted and blacklisted.

Pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I work in a Uni here and we're often asked by parents things like that.

The worst racism I've seen since being here comes from Saudi men.

I'm glad I was backed up on this. I've previously said on Boards to complete disbelief. It's more common than people think. I don't work in the housing side of things but as a researcher I have to talk to potential students and their parents.

We have an equally racist academic on staff so it's funny to introduce the parents in question to her. She responded to a Spanish man's attempt to locate his daughter away from Africans with a reminder that Spanish generally have Moorish (African) ancestry and they were technically all black under the one drop rule.

I'm glad I was backed up on this. I've previously said on Boards to complete disbelief. It's more common than people think. I don't work in the housing side of things but as a researcher I have to talk to potential students and their parents.

We have an equally racist academic on staff so it's funny to introduce the parents in question to her. She responded to a Spanish man's attempt to locate his daughter away from Africans with a reminder that Spanish generally have Moorish (African) ancestry and they were technically all black under the one drop rule.

Bet that went over well!

I've been called a white bitch, stupid white Irish wh**e and told that "if you were in my country you would not dare speak to me".

Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I work in a Uni here and we're often asked by parents things like that.

The worst racism I've seen since being here comes from Saudi men.

Can't possibly be.
    Everyone knows it is by old white males from the USA. ;)
    JJJJNR wrote: »

Actually women are paid far more per hour than men in that tournament.
    That is total discrimination.

What those crowd need is a sausage munchin dog lover young wan in Mary I with a love of lads who are sweaties out in UL. :D

Well it beats the amount of dog shyte that used to be in the place.

Advertisement