Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrimination seems to only apply to women.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Bet that went over well!

I've been called a white bitch, stupid white Irish wh**e and told that "if you were in my country you would not dare speak to me".

Lovely.

In fairness she's a great source of entertainment. She bluntly told two Hindu ladies that the caste system in India was indicative of a pagan mind-set and only those who believed in such a system should belong to a lower caste. As you know it's very hard to fire an academic.

Sorry to hear about the abuse directed at you. Nothing surprises me about academia anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Bet that went over well!

I've been called a white bitch, stupid white Irish wh**e and told that "if you were in my country you would not dare speak to me".

Lovely.

In fairness she's a great source of entertainment. She bluntly told two Hindu ladies that the caste system in India was indicative of a pagan mind-set and only those who believed in such a system should belong to a lower caste. As you know it's very hard to fire an academic.

Sorry to hear about the abuse directed at you. Nothing surprises me about academia anymore.

After 11 years it's water off a ducks back now but cheers!

Tbh only worried once when surrounded by 4 students pointing in my face. They got nothing done cos I "may have misunderstood their cultural norms".

Apparently Qatari students cannot be called to a meeting by a woman to discuss academic performance. It makes them violent. Who knew??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

In Paris, men can pee in the street,
    but don’t splash your feet or people you meet.
    Near seine, past the tents is the other place to vent
    until your hearts content.

2BxFoOf.png

Piss baguettes Piss.

After 11 years it's water off a ducks back now but cheers!

Tbh only worried once when surrounded by 4 students pointing in my face. They got nothing done cos I "may have misunderstood their cultural norms".

Apparently Qatari students cannot be called to a meeting by a woman to discuss academic performance. It makes them violent. Who knew??

A female colleague experienced similar. I sit on the board of the Athena Swan for equality in STEM in my university and I often hear similar stories. We have gender equality until the student/academic comes from a rich country with bigoted views against women.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Apparently Qatari students won't get an education over here then! I really hope ye don't fall over yourselves to accommodate this crap?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Apparently Qatari students won't get an education over here then! I really hope ye don't fall over yourselves to accommodate this crap?!

What about Qatari jaguar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Yep they do! 53k a year each student.

We'd educate Assad's kids if they wanted

The uni do 100% unfortunately. There's too much money to be made from each student. As an early stage researcher I don't have to. If they want to work with me they have to respect my other students no matter what their gender or race. There have been instances like this within a group but it's very easy to give a subtlety bad reference implying racism or gender discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

On the plus side menfolk in Paris can now avail of street open public urinals.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2018/0813/984858-france-urinals-paris/

Ahh, Paris the city of romance and instant bladder relief.

So let me get this straight, in Paris you can be fined for catcalling women, but you are encouraged to pull your dick out in front of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The worst people I've ever had the displeasure of renting to have, without exception, been women.

They say fellas are dirty but my god you should have seen the state of the place after the women holy **** it was unreal

Dirty animals would be a compliment
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    I rent out a couple of rooms from time to time.

I found out very quickly and to the detriment of my mental health that women make the worst tenants.

No exceptions.

*Warning-some disgusting details*

Same-whenever I rented, if I was stuck with a woman (it was usually mixed-as in about 3 or 4 people, male and female), it was a nightmare. Actually, wait, if I shared with a non-Irish woman, it was fine. They were pretty tidy and considerate.
    Irish women...hoo boy.

One house mate decided to dye her friends hair-or have a sleepover. And would leave the kitchen unusuable. Another would have guys over, would get serious drunk, and take my beer (she'd replace it, but that's beside the point). She then overfilled the bins, so that the bag burst, and... 'feminine hygiene products' and 'a used prophylactic' were left on the outside yard. The neighbours dropped a letter into the house to complain, and while I put on a glove and cleaned up the tampons, the condom was left there. She was absolutely disgusting, tbh.

It's funny-the landlord I had at the time had said he didn't want to rent to women. Had had problems with em before (one who played the radio at 3am when she got off from work. Woke her roomie and the neighbours had young kids at the time, and it would wake em).
    I guess the norms of society would say that on average the girls are cleaner and less likely to do physical damage.

The ads are discriminatory of course but the owner can choose the tenants so no point wasting someones time.

I remember staying in one estate a few years ago, where the properties were owned by different landlords. One Landlord had to sell the house he was renting because his main business was in trouble. And then another had a nightmare with his tenants-all young women.
    Because of the location of the house, and as stipulated on the rental agreement, no parties were allowed. Lots of working families in the neighbourhood with young kids who had to be up for work and other stuff.
    We all stuck to the agreement...barring one or two.

These 'ladettes' would hold parties at random, bringing round people who were drinking, and using other substances. He'd always know something had gone wrong because a 'friend' would turn up to carry out repairs-broken chairs or what have you. Or the ladies would be carrying around buckets and mops to clean up the sick. Chair cushions outside to get rid of the smell.

He had to evict them when they ripped up the pipes in the kitchen and other parts of the house-one of them had 'daddy's money' so he paid for the repairs and she didn't get arrested. She had to work for daddy for the rest of the year tho-those were some hefty damages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

seamus wrote: »
    Landlords are not permitted to advertise "females only". If they do turn you down based on your gender, you can take a case under the equal status act and get a free pay day.

These ads are virtually always house-shares, which *are* permitted to be gender-biased (and race, age, etc), because the right to be comfortable in your own home trumps another person's right to equality.

Likewise you'll often see ads that talk about "gay-friendly", etc. Transgender people often won't advertise at all and will rely on word-of-mouth to get housemates that are trans or trans-friendly.

You see "females only" more often than you see "males only" because women make the case that they may feel less safe sharing with a man than a woman. Which is oldschool nonsense misandry of course.
    Women also (in my experience) tend to be much more puritanical about their biology and would feel "icky" about sharing a bathroom with a man while being on their period, or if they have a dose of the trots.

These are outdated sexist attitudes that women need to address, but like I say, the right to feel comfortable at home trumps anyone else's equal rights.

I was in just this situation, it was the men in the house who complained that I was always in the loo and about the unfortunate sounds caused by my IBS.

I think past a certain age ppl get past things like its "ikky'

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    I was in just this situation, it was the men in the house who complained that I was always in the loo and about the unfortunate sounds caused by my IBS.

I think past a certain age ppl get past things like its "ikky'

That's why I've always tried to rent in a place with more than one bathroom/ toilet.

I get ticky stomachs. Not IBS, but if I'm stressed out, I'll have a strange stomach. It can come on me if there's just something stressing me out.

Obviously you don't want to hold up the bathroom if someone else needs it.

Some people tho...they don't get past anything. The littlest thing can annoy em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

professore wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, in Paris you can be fined for catcalling women, but you are encouraged to pull your dick out in front of them?

We'll it might be something to do with thousand of no fixed abode who can't make it back to their tents in time, to fill up an empty bottle before adding to the Seine.

Shopkeepers and residents likely still prefer it to their doorways or welcome mats getting a rinse of high concentration urea.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

A female colleague experienced similar. I sit on the board of the Athena Swan for equality in STEM in my university and I often hear similar stories. We have gender equality until the student/academic comes from a rich country with bigoted views against women.

My old PhD supervisor frequently used me as a go-between for any female members of staff, he had been raised and educated at Dhaka so he brought a lot of his culture with him. Absolute nightmare of a man to deal with. That was full blown misogyny.

My old PhD supervisor frequently used me as a go-between for any female members of staff, he had been raised and educated at Dhaka so he brought a lot of his culture with him. Absolute nightmare of a man to deal with. That was full blown misogyny.

I no longer want to work in academia because of stuff like this. It's very very common. Right now as a member of Athena Swan I'm dealing with complaints from two girls who are being sexually harassed by a technician. I tried to raise the complaint with the academic involved and he simply implied that this guy was tall and the girls got him completely wrong. I later found out the academic was in collaboration with the technician and was protecting him. One girl left our group because of him and developed agoraphobia and depression. She came in late to avoid him and when he found out he disabled the machines she was using and hid her pipettes (tools for dispensing liquid).

I approached the head technician, who was also being protected by the academic and he ignored the problem. At the behest of the abusive technician he wrote a letter to human resources suggesting that the girl he was bullying was being difficult and not the other way around. I recently found out that the sexually abusive technician was best man at the head technician's wedding.

Academia is completely rife with stuff like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

givyjoe wrote: »
    Perhaps that wasn't specifically aimed at me, but all I suggested was looking at daft and using the filter under 'sharing' to see the ads in question.

Not really aimed at you, no. :)

My only point was that some ads specifying "women only" are illegal but others are not.

"Three women looking for fourth to share 4-bedroom house in Rathmines. Female applicants only please" (Ad placed by one of the housemates -- ad is fine.)

"4-bedroom house for rent in Tallaght. Female applicants only. No men need apply" (Ad placed by landlord -- ad is discriminatory.)

I no longer want to work in academia because of stuff like this. It's very very common.
    Academia is completely rife with stuff like this.

Any evidence that sexual harassment is more prevalent in academia than in other types of workplaces? If you were to work elsewhere, how do you know you wouldn't run into similar issues?

Any evidence that sexual harassment is more prevalent in academia than in other types of workplaces? If you were to work elsewhere, how do you know you wouldn't run into similar issues?

Good question. My PhD and post-doc were joint funded by industry, government and academia. I was partly funded by the Department of Energy in America and a uni in the UK. I spent time between both with some time in GlaxoSmithKline.

In the University sexual harassment and bullying (as there is in my current university) weren't common but weren't unusual either. In the industry and government roles there was also sexual harassment and bullying claims, however at a far lower level than the university.

Why? It's because of accountability. In the university academics and those who they protected came before the victim. One supervisor here has several complaints of sexual harassment against him while the aforementioned technician has eight counts of bullying and/or sexual harassment against him. In one capacity or another the university sees them as valuable so does nothing to remove them. Therefore there's no incentive to stop until it's too late for the victims.

Is anyone braver than me willing to start a thread on the problems in academia?

Is anyone braver than me willing to start a thread on the problems in academia?

It's a bit esoteric-you'll get the 'that crap happens in every job' tbh.

• Advertisement

Is it really "rife" though? Freedom of information requests sent by The Guardian to 130 universities in the UK found there were around 2,000 reports of sexual misconduct committed by students and staff in the previous seven years. That works out to 2 complaints per university per year. While I obviously wouldn't condone any sexual harassment, I'd still wonder whether the figures are actually significantly higher than in other fields.

Is it really "rife" though? Freedom of information requests sent by The Guardian to 130 universities in the UK found there were around 2,000 reports of sexual misconduct committed by students and staff in the previous seven years. That works out to 2 complaints per university per year. While I obviously wouldn't condone any sexual harassment, I'd still wonder whether the figures are actually significantly higher than in other fields.

Again that's a good point. I'll respond by highlighting the word reports in your post. As I said in our university we had a technician with seven informal complaints and one that was actually followed through. So with regards to one technician we're only seeing one eight of the reports. He's a technician and is escaping being reported. Imagine when you have to go against your supervisor or another senior academic.

So many people come to me and say they're afraid to report the abuse as the victim usually comes out worse. In academia I'm inclined to believe them.

Again that's a good point. I'll respond by highlighting the word reports in your post. As I said in our university we had a technician with seven informal complaints and one that was actually followed through. So with regards to one technician we're only seeing one eight of the reports. He's a technician and is escaping being reported. Imagine when you have to go against your supervisor or another senior academic.

So many people come to me and say they're afraid to report the abuse as the victim usually comes out worse. In academia I'm inclined to believe them.

That's fair enough. In fact The Guardian has also pointed out numerous issues with how universities record and report claims of sexual harassment. They have a series of articles that might interest you.

I'd say though that there may be a demographic issue here. Targets of sexual harassment tend to be disproportionately younger women, and universities by their very nature have high concentrations of women in the 18-22 age bracket. Doesn't that skew the figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd like to know do women in general like the fact that men are regularly discriminated, is it some sort of overdue payback to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 skybox2014

seamus wrote: »

You see "females only" more often than you see "males only" because women make the case that they may feel less safe sharing with a man than a woman. Which is oldschool nonsense misandry of course.
    Women also (in my experience) tend to be much more puritanical about their biology and would feel "icky" about sharing a bathroom with a man while being on their period, or if they have a dose of the trots.

These are outdated sexist attitudes that women need to address, but like I say, the right to feel comfortable at home trumps anyone else's equal rights.

They are of course not outdated or sexist attitudes, but based on the fact that females are more likely to be assaulted or killed by males than by other females!

And yes, females want to preserve their private spaces, like bathrooms in their homes, for all kinds of reasons, including dealing with menstruation and miscarriage. None of this is unreasonable, and certainly not icky or discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

I guess the norms of society would say that on average the girls are cleaner and less likely to do physical damage.

The ads are discriminatory of course but the owner can choose the tenants so no point wasting someones time.

On a wider level, us men really are on our own in the world and need a thick skin.

But there are no genders, everyone is equal.

Yesterday I identified as a door handle, today I identify as an emoji, tomorrow i'll identify as a slightly worn wooden park bench.

If you find this strange i'll be offended, demand you resign from your job and insist your employer release a statement distancing themselves from your actions.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I'd like to know do women in general like the fact that men are regularly discriminated, is it some sort of overdue payback to them.

Women, like men are not a homogenous species. Most people have more to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why would you be addressing academic performance with a group? Surely this should be done individually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Don't worry. Whoever advertised that 'gaff' will get her comeuppance just like this racist, sexist bitch did.

s-l300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Its rampant, even in Wimbledon women get equal prize money for doing 3 sets while men have to do 5.

Worse still, in the athletics the less time you spend running the more you win!

Advertisement