Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatwave Closing Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Amirani wrote: »
    That's a shocking situation in France/Spain and pretty terrible for consumers. You buy a ticket for a gig 9 months away and something comes up in the meantime meaning you can't go. You're left stuck with a gig ticket that it's illegal for you to sell on? Rubbish.

I've never sold a ticket about face value, but have had to sell on tickets for gigs I couldn't make plenty of times in the past. Banning that is crazy.
    Maybe it's just for profit.
    https://www.ticketmaster.fr/en/help
    Can I resell my ticket ?In accordance with the French law of June 27, 1919, you may resell your ticket at face value or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Zardoz

....... wrote: »
    I dont think anyone minds an event genuinely selling out in seconds.

Its when it sells out in seconds and 5 minutes later thousands of tickets appear on Seatwave at massively inflated prices that is the issue.

Thousands of tickets on Seatwave ? More scaremongering

1-3% of capacity was generally what appeared on Seatwave ,a tiny percentage .
    In the US the figure is 10-20% of capacity .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What I don't get is why are TM/ Livenation allowed to exist in such a monoply.. I thought there were rules to govern against these kind of practices. Fact of the matter is they have practically no competition when it comes to selling tickets to begin with, and therefore they control the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Zardoz wrote: »
    Thousands of tickets on Seatwave ? More scaremongering

1-3% of capacity was generally what appeared on Seatwave ,a tiny percentage .
    In the US the figure is 10-20% of capacity .

Have you a source for these figures?

TBH - any percentage for touts is too much IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This is an older article for the UK, but could apply here. It explains pretty much the issues that the general public have. The 'industrial-scale' touting, not the normal touts.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/dec/19/ticket-resale-sites-new-scrutiny-touting-seatwave-viagogo

• Advertisement

This article suggests the percentage of tickets appearing on resale sites was just over 25%.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/07/one-in-four-tickets-touted-on-resale-sites/

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

This is fantastic news!

Ticketmaster have been robbing people blind with Seatwave for too long. Hopefully Viagogo & Stubhub follow suit.

This video is an interesting watch about how they operate for anyone who hasn't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kettle316 wrote: »
    This is fantastic news!

Ticketmaster have been robbing people blind with Seatwave for too long. Hopefully Viagogo & Stubhub follow suit.
    If you think they won't continue to rob people blind, it's because you've missed something:

They've also announced that they're "launching" a new service that allows tickets to be resold without markup.

Which is basically the exact same software as seatwave, but where sellers can't change the price.

No doubt that ticketmaster will still include "processing fees" for that resale. Can't lose that second bite of the cherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

seamus wrote: »
    If you think they won't continue to rob people blind, it's because you've missed something:

They've also announced that they're "launching" a new service that allows tickets to be resold without markup.

Which is basically the exact same software as seatwave, but where sellers can't change the price.

No doubt that ticketmaster will still include "processing fees" for that resale. Can't lose that second bite of the cherry.

They already have 'Platnium Tickets' priced double or 3 times the face value. Nobody seems to pick up on this!

Have you a source for these figures?

TBH - any percentage for touts is too much IMO.

Ticketmaster figures say less than 1% resold
    https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Consultations/Consultations-files/Ticketmaster-Ireland-submission-resale-of-tickets.pdf

It is important to put resale into perspective. Our data shows that less than 1% of the tickets that Ticketmaster sells in Ireland on behalf of its clients are subsequently resold.This is a vastly different story to the one that is told in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Amirani wrote: »
    That's a shocking situation in France/Spain and pretty terrible for consumers. You buy a ticket for a gig 9 months away and something comes up in the meantime meaning you can't go. You're left stuck with a gig ticket that it's illegal for you to sell on? Rubbish.

I've never sold a ticket about face value, but have had to sell on tickets for gigs I couldn't make plenty of times in the past. Banning that is crazy.

You can resell for face value or under though....

Tickets for sold out events should be refundable and go to the next person on the wait list at face value.

All tickets should tie back to a non-prepay credit/debit card which is required to gain entrance (max 4 people per card).

LOL - hardly an unbiased source there?

Any independent source?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

There's not enough to tickets for every event, it's basic enonomics from there on in. The market decided the value then, it still will.

Thank you kind sir for teaching me the ways of basic economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

LOL - hardly an unbiased source there?

Any independent source?
    you can look on seatwave now yourself.
    i've never seen any more than a tiny percentage of tickets on Seatwave after a sell out.

for example, Twenty One Pilots at the 3Arena sold out the day they went onsale last week (or 2 weeks ago?). there's 104 tickets on Seatwave. the 3Arena holds 13,000....

Shania Twain, 2 nights in the 3Arena, 48 tickets for one night, 37 for the other on Seatwave.

Tears for Fears - 3 Arena, 16 tickets.

Years and Years - Olympia Theatre, 1300 capacity, 3 tickets on Seatwave.

etc. etc.

Seriously?

Propaganda. Maybe that's what they can call their new venture.

you can look on seatwave now yourself.
    i've never seen any more than a tiny percentage of tickets on Seatwave after a sell out.

Did anything sell out in the past hour?

Because thats the time to look on it. Within minutes or an hour of sell out.

dunno, I can remember massive gigs in Croker only having a couple hundred tickets on their hours after sell outs in the past though.

dunno, I can remember massive gigs in Croker only having a couple hundred tickets on their hours after sell outs in the past though.

I can remember 1000s of tickets on Seatwave after sell outs. Only immediately afterwards though.

First Aid Kit sold out last Friday and there are 9 tickets on Seatwave .
    They have sold 14 so far .
    So thats 23 tickets out of 1600.

https://www.seatwave.ie/first-aid-kit-tickets/olympia-theatre-tickets/tuesday-23-october-2018/perf/1142815

I can remember 1000s of tickets on Seatwave after sell outs. Only immediately afterwards though.

Any independent source?

• Advertisement

How many were on Seatwave (and other resale sites) within minutes of sell out?

Any independent source?

Same as your own. You cited your memory. I cited mine.

I also posted an article from last year in the UK earlier on the thread that claims over 25% of tickets go to resale sites (not using Ticketmasters figures).

Same as your own. You cited your memory. I cited mine.

I also posted an article from last year in the UK earlier on the thread that claims over 25% of tickets go to resale sites (not using Ticketmasters figures).
    so no.

and that article is pretty irrelevant, as we're talking about Irish tickets on Seatwave after selling out, not tickets eventually finding their way to multiple secondary sites in the UK.

the facts show that there is a miniscule amount of tickets for sold out gigs on Seatwave currently.

Interesting article here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/could-this-year-spell-the-swan-song-for-the-scourge-of-the-ticket-touts-465747.html

If the percentage of tickets that are in essence withheld in places like New York is as high as 54 % in New York as the article mentions, then there's no way in hell it's as low as 1 % here, that's simply not credible.

so no.

and that article is pretty irrelevant, as we're talking about Irish tickets on Seatwave after selling out, not tickets eventually finding their way to multiple secondary sites in the UK.

the facts show that there is a miniscule amount of tickets for sold out gigs on Seatwave currently.

Do you have a study which supports this? And I mean an independent study, not one carried out by TM..

That article is rubbish for a few reasons.
    How many of those events were sell outs ?
    2 ,Celine Dion and The Proms ,the rest didn't sell out or extra dates were immediately added and some of those events were complete turkeys.

Promoters will often sell tickets directly on secondary sites for slow moving events .
    Alot of the listings on the different resellers could be duplicate listings too.

Do you have a study which supports this? And I mean an independent study, not one carried out by TM..
    study that supports what?

study that supports what?

A study that supports the claim that the amount of tickets that end up on Seatwave is minuscule/ less than 1% as suggested above.

I'd be interested to know how much Ticketmaster have made off Seatwave since it's inception.

• Advertisement

A study that supports the claim that the amount of tickets that end up on Seatwave is minuscule/ less than 1% as suggested above.

I'd be interested to know how much Ticketmaster have made off Seatwave since it's inception.
    I said currently.
    you can go on seatwave.ie now and verify it.

I've already cited several random examples earlier in the thread that show it.

Zardoz has provided an example of a gig that went onsale, and sold out last Friday, with 23 out of 1600 tickets ending up on Seatwave.

Advertisement