Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Wednesday 11th Apr: 4 miles in 28:04 (7:01)

Went into the track with my 7 year old. Wasn’t sure what I was doing. Legs were a bit heavy, but I was grand after a couple of miles, tipping around with PConn. Last mile warm down with the young fella.
    7:03, 6:35, 6:25, 7:58

Fri 13th: 4.1 miles in 31:35 (7:42) AvHR:158
    Handy run around the block. I’ve decided, rightly or wrongly, that my shins have been slightly uncomfortable due to not actually running enough, and certainly not enough easy running. With that in mind, I did an easy run. I will, however, see what’s the problem with the hip.

Saturday 14th: 5.7 miles in 42:30 (7:28) HR159
    Easy run around the roads after leaving one of the kids at football training. Went very handy the first while, moving freely after the marathon.

I’ve been having a quick read over the first year of this log. I want to get back to running marathons under 3, racing more regularly, and just running more. Our 4th child is now 1, and there won’t be any more. There’s no excuses now for not running 5 days a week, and getting back into shape.

Tuesday 17April: 5:xx in 7/3x pace

Watch died halfway around this run, easy pace and effort

Thursday 19th/ 5.2 miles in 37:30 (7:12) Av HR:158

Nice handy run at the track in Dunleer, kept effort easy and just picked it up slightly towards the end. Beautiful weather, proper heat finally.

Went for a physio session during the week. ITB causing a bubble of fluid around the hip, nothing to be concerned about, and am on a programme to strengthen the area. Hoped to get out for a couple of miles today, but the day getting away on me.

Sat 21st April: 6 miles at 7:30 pace

Down in the mountains in Connemara for the weekend, lovely run through the forest on trails.

Tuesday 24th: 7.6 miles in 57:40 (7:36) AvHR:159
    Nice easy medium length run, weather finally starting to improve a bit. Body feeling fine, but running easy for a bit will be good for me.

Wednesday 25: 4.1 miles in 31:35 (7:42)

Easy run around the block, spring time still clinging on, bitterly cold wind, but good to be running regularly for the first time in a while.

Thursday 26th: 6.1 miles in 45:40 7:29

Dinner just an hour before I was running so took it very easy the first 2-3 miles, about 8:00 pace. Dropped down to 6:40-50 pace for the last two miles.

Sat 28 April: 5.6 miles in 41 (7:10) AHR:163
    Run around the Hill Of Rath when the young buck was at soccer training. Beautiful weather.

Monday 30th: 5.2 miles in 36:50 (7:05) AHR: 161
    Popes Cross and the Old road. So good to be able to get out running after the kids all go to bed, long evenings are great. HR low for the pace, bit of fitness coming back I hope.

Wednesday 2nd May:4.1 miles in 29 (7:05)
    Quick run around Fieldstown.threw in two 6:xx miles in a bit of injection of pace. Most of the little niggles seem to have cleared up thankfully.

Sunday 6th May: 14 miles in 1:48 (7:44) AvHR: 159
    Very hot afternoon and my body a bit sore from gardening, so I took the pace easy. Lovely route through Broomfield in Co Meath, and back through Collon and Tinure. Very hilly country, good workout.

Monday 7th May: 8 hours cutting turf

Started at 7:40. Two half hour breaks, and finished about half four. About 100 bags worth I’d say. Dug down deeper in the bog so should be good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Did the kids bring ya bottled milk corked sloppily with paper? And were you nicking and slicing them sods neatly, eh?

Itziger wrote: »
    Did the kids bring ya bottled milk corked sloppily with paper? And were you nicking and slicing them sods neatly, eh?

I’d the two older ones with me, cheerleading. They kept me supplied with a steady stream of orange dilute alright. Tae and sangwidges were the lunch options. Hard work, nice and neat at the start of the day, but towards the end, I was flinging sods all over the bog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What's your max HR?

pconn062 wrote: »
    What's your max HR?

191 is what I was showing for the last 100m of the marathon in Manchester. I know if I’m doing hill springing, I’m hitting close to 185. I’m not sure how to interpret the data yet. Av HR for the marathon distance was 172, which is 90% of max. My limited understanding of HR would suggest that either I performed very well based on fitness, my maximum HR is higher than 190, or I am well adapted to marathons.

Weds 9th May: 4.1 miles in 30:10 (7:22) AvHR 157
    Friday 11th: 4.1 miles in 30:28 (7:26) AvHR: 159
    Sunday 13th: 5.85 miles in 47:05 (8:03)
    Can’t remember the first two, on the 3rd run, I was a touch hungover.

Monday 14th: 7.5 miles in 54:07 (7:13) AvHR 162
    After Sunday, I felt like getting a half decent, longer run in so went off at 8:30 after all the kids went to bed. Lovely run down by Sandpit. Long evenings making a massive difference to the training, I’m finding.

Wednesday 16th:

Wednesday 16th: 2 miles with a bit of speed work
    1km in 3:34
    600m in 2:40
    Couple of 80/100 meter sprints
    Athletics coaching with school kids

Thursday 17th: 10.9 miles in 1:18 (7:15)

I was feeling pretty fatigued at the start of this one, but got into it nicely. Hilly route by Dunleer, Philipstown and Dromin. Tagged on a couple of fast miles at the tail end. 6:45, 6:22, 6:51
    Felt great to be running fast again on a longish run.

• Advertisement

Monday 21st May: 4.2 miles in 28:35 (6:53)
    Bit of a tempo run, if you had to put a name on it. 6:58, 6:38, 6:37, 7:16 up the hill.

Wednesday: random distances and paces on the track coaching 2nd and 6th Class
    800m in 3:50
    400m in 90
    400m in 65

Thursday 24th: 16 miles in 1:56 (7:16) AvHR 167
    Beautiful summer weather and 2 hours to burn in Dunleer. Headed out through Grangebellew, Gallstone Road, across by Rathesker, Philipstown and Dromin. I was taking the pace nice and conservative until I decided on a whim to add the extra loop at the end by Philipstown, so had to motor a bit. Faster miles at the end were 7:01, 6:55, 6:48, 6:56, 6:35, 6:52
    I was fairly wrecked after that one. Unintended glycogen depletion, felt ropey for a couple of hours, but very pleased to put in a decent effort on complete empty.

Friday 25th: 4 miles in 28:50 (7:11)
    Spent the day painting fences and had the first barbecue of the season. Beautiful weather altogether. Put all the kids to bed and threw on the runners to run down to the school to vote. Bit of speed in the middle 6:26, 6:50

Training going well lately. The body is feeling great, the mind good, motivation high, and progress steady. I’m enjoying putting fast miles into most runs now, it’s an approach that works well for me. Obviously I’ll need to up the mileage, it’s been a long long time since I’ve ran 50 mile weeks, which really is what’s required to hit proper targets in marathons. Anyway, things going the right direction.

Saturday 26th May:5.65 miles in 40:55 (7:14)
    Quick run around the Hill of Rath when the young fella was at football. Couple of fast miles, 6:50 and 6:44.

Tuesday 29th: 7.5 miles in 53:05 (7:05)

Beautiful evening for running, not back till 10 and still bright and warm. Threw down the hammer for a good part of this run: 7:33, 6:51, 6:42, 6:41, 7:22, 6:43, 7:43, 3:25
    Some really rough hills up our way, so Mile 7, the slowest, by far the biggest effort levels.

Wednesday 30th: 2-3 miles at random paces.
    Couple of fast laps, a bit of hurdles and easy running at the track with school.

Thursday 31st: 8.5 miles in 57:30 (6:47) AvHR 171
    More or less ran hard for an hour around Dunleer Philipstown areas. I’d an hour to get it done so motored. Very warm, 20 degrees, but I’m a fan of the heat. Hilly first few miles, but downhill back through Dromin gives opportunity for a bit of speed. Very enjoyable run.
    7:24, 6:49, 6:45, 6:51, 6:58, 6:24, 6:23, 6:30, 3:27

Tuesday 5th June: 7 miles in 50:30 (7:12) AvHR 159
    Nice sociable trot around Dunleer with a friend I hadn’t seen in a while. Fairly even pace and effort

Wednesday 6th am: 2 miles at random paces
    800m in 2:48, 400m in 67, 600m in 2:07

Pm: 7.5miles total in 46:30
    Couple of laps warmup, then 12 minutes tempo, and 2x3k
    Didn’t time any of it properly, but 3ks seemed about 11:40 or so. A good tough session, need work on speed.

Friday 8th June: 5k in 22:50.
    Early morning trot around local roads.

Sunday 10th: 4 hours cutting turf, and 5 miles in 35:50 (7:10)

I took in about 50 bags of turf on Saturday that I’d cut only 4 weeks ago, serious weather in Connemara. Decided to spend Sunday morning productively, and did a power of work. Shed will be well stacked up for the winter.

Been a while since I’ve updated here.

13th June: 2 miles or so, coaching/racing against 6th class.
    Highlight of this was a 400m in 63 seconds. I always try a race whereby the kids are doing 4x100m relay, and I’m running the whole thing. It’s been about 4 or 5 years since I ran that fast for 400m.

Busy last week of school concluded with my class presenting me with a new Garmin 235. Lovely present to get, very impressed with the watch.

Saturday 23rd June: 5.6 miles in 39:50 (7:07) AvHR 166
    Quick run around Hill of Rath testing out the new watch. Nice to be back running after a frantic week with one of the kids in hospital all week, and 4 out of 6 family members sick.

Sunday 24th June: 4 miles in 32:38 (8:08) AvHR 148

Felt like hell on this run, I think I’d a touch of the virus the others had, high temperature, etc. but got away with it.

Friday 29th June: 4 miles in 30 minutes (7:30) AvHR 145

Off to France on our holidays. Exploring the Normandy countryside and taking home baguettes and croissants from the boulangerie.

I’m not convinced the HRM on the 235 is totally accurate.

Sunday 1st July: 5 miles in 36:25 (7:16) AvHR 174
    Faster loop this time, no baguettes unfortunately, shops don’t open on Sunday.

Tuesday 3rd July: 5 miles in 35:43 (7:09) AvHR 176
    Good fast couple of miles over a very hilly route, nice to be pushing it on a bit.

Friday 6th July: 8 miles cycling
    I’d the two smaller kids in a trailer, and we all headed off on rental bikes for the afternoon around Lac Du Dac in Ploermel, Brittany. Lovely family day out and about.

Sunday 8th July: 13.1 miles in 1:33 (7:10) AvHR 171
    This was on a beautiful Greenway, very quiet and scenic. Pushed the pace on a little, fast miles were 6:58, 6:42, 6:49. Very hot by the time I finished up here, touching 32 degrees.

No running then for a couple of days as we went to a couple of stages of the Tour de France and then got home.

Friday 13 July: 4 miles in 30:30 (7:39) AvHR 166

This was a new one for me, laps of the garden. It’s 200m around the garden, and on a decent enough hill. Kids all in bed and Mrs TPP out. Really enjoyed this, and it’s definitely something I’ll be doing again.

Sunday 15th: 7.5 miles in 57:57 (7:44) AvHR 164

Pretty sluggish on this run around Sandpit, fairly hot and humid, but nice to be back on some of my regular routes.

Monday 16th: 10 miles in 1:17 (7:43) AvHR 161

Very similar route to the previous day. Just nice slow running, building up a bit of mileage.

Wednesday 18th: 8.25 miles in 1:01 (7:30) AvHR 159
    This was an unplanned but very enjoyable run. I was getting something checked on one of the cars in drogheda, the guy in services suggested I go off for a run for an hour while he checked the car. Excellent suggestion, I thought. Didn’t have proper gear on, but made do. Ran out Donore direction, then through Oldbridge, and back along the Boyne ramparts. Really beautiful run.

Sunday 22nd July: 4 miles in 31:20 (7:49) AvHR 150

We spent a few days in Connemara, but unfortunately the water from our spring up the mountains ran dry, so with no way to wash, no way to run. Took in the second bank of turf, nice full shed of top quality stuff now. Took in a Gavin James concert too, and got backstage with my eldest to meet him. Amazing singer, and a totally sound lad.

Anyway, drove home Sunday and managed a few miles in the evening.

Monday 23rd: 8 miles in 59:40 (7:27) AvHR 167

Run home from Drogheda, adding a loop along the Boyne from Oldbridge. Very hot, road surface practically melting.

Thursday 26th am: 8 miles in 61:10 (7:39) AvHR 165
    Left the wife’s car in for a service in the morning. Ran home, doing a couple of messages en route. Last 2 miles tough, as I was intent on keeping them under 8:00. Not easy in that heat, 22degrees at 10am!!

Thursday pm: 6.2 miles in 43:40 (7:03) AvHR 169

Run back to collect the car. Hotter again, but downhill to drogheda helps a lot, so did 4 miles under 7:00 pace. Good workout.

Mileage finally creeping up a bit, I should be running more, but I’m not. Autumn schedule is looking like last year, Monaghan marathon and cross country running.

Sun 29th July: 4.1 miles in 29:22 (7:10)

Tuesday 31st July: 7.5 miles in 52:12 (6:58)

Fastest run I’d done in a while, felt good to push the pace on a little bit.

The Ned Run 2018 5 mile race report:

This is one of my go-to races up at home in Scotstown. I hadn’t done it in a couple of years, so was good to be back. A couple of cousins and my uncle who lives in Florida, along with my dad, mother and daughter were all lining up. We’d a bbq about 4:30, and on my warmup mile at 7, I was still tasting burgers, glad I didn’t join my cousins on pre-race beers.

I’ve a couple of 3rd place finishes and 4ths in this race to my name, but reckoned sub30 would be slightly out of reach, and top 10 was a possibility. At the start, the local kids always go all ninja style for the first 400m up to the village, but by the time we turned at the crossroads, I was in 5th or 6th. 1, 2 and 3 were gone for dust already, but I knew I’d have company from 4th-10th place all quite close. Mile 1 in 6:01 as I turned towards Hollywood lake.

The guy in front of me had looked strong, but faltered a lot on the hill, so I comfortably went past him, into 4th I think. Working hard, possibly too hard, Mile 2: 6:13.

The 3rd mile has a net downhill, so it’s a chance to get a bit of rhythm back, but still very hard work, 6:08.

On the Bog Road now, familiar territory, I heard two guys cruising up to me. The first just blitzed me, but I managed to hang onto the shirttails of the second, then took back 5th, and moved away. Mile 4: 6:21.

Running past my parents house, with my sister and another cousin cheering me on, some guy just bombed past me. Gone. I was really struggling, but didn’t want to give up another place. Home town support was great, with plenty of people giving me a shout up in the village. Flew down the hill for the bridge, with someone hot on my heels. I knew I’d have to go for a fast long run in, as I don’t have a 20m burst at the end, so emptied the tank completely heading past my old primary school, wife and 3 of the kids roaring me on, 30:40 on the clock, 6th place. Totally knackered. Delighted with the run. My 9 year old daughter came cruising along shortly afterwards, finishing in 48 minutes, having been told to let loose by my mother after a mile. She finished in 52 minutes, disappointed as she’d ran 51 the previous year. Somebody forgot to tell her she’s 75 years old! My father, uncle and another of their old school friends came along, finishing in 1:27. My dad reckoned they spent too much time talking to people up the street, and could have been quicker!! Competitive lot!

Great spread down at the football field, atmosphere good, lots of talk about how Monaghan were going to beat Galway, and home for beers. Nice to be back racing

Sunday 4th August: 7.5 miles in 56:58 (7:36) AvHR 151

We headed up to Donegal in Saturday to spend a couple of days with friends who bought a new house near Rossnowlagh. Took this route down towards the beach, then back up on Wild Atlantic Way for couple of miles, then back up the hills. Very enjoyable.

Monday 5th August: 8 miles in 58:13: (7:17) AvHR 157

Similar route, but different road on the way back. I was given the task of reconnaissance for dogs in the area. Only one minor scare, when an enormous old hairy Alsatian came bounding in my direction, only to stop when his lead stopped him mauling me to death. Tagged on a couple of fast miles at the end of this. 6:55, 6:45, 6:38.

Wednesday 7th : 5k in 18:55 and 4x300m at 60 seconds each.

Track session with PConn’s group. Pretty much ran the 5k by myself, comfortably hard I’d say, without butchering myself. The 300s were fine, apart from the one I tried to pace, which was a balls.

Friday 9th: 15 miles in 1:55 (7:41)

I got up at 9:30 hoping to get out quickly for this, but for one reason or another, didn’t get out until 11:15. No breakfast, so I knew this would be tough towards the end. Went on a route through Sandpit and Togher that I hadn’t taken before. A few nasty little hills, along with a stiff breeze added to the fun, but good effort, despite finishing slow up the hills. Longest run since April. Fair amount of work to be done between now and the end of September.

13 August: 6 miles in 43:10 (7:11)

16 August: 4.1 miles in 29:27

17 August:7.5 miles in 55:50 (7:27)

18 August: 9.5 miles in 1:12 (7:35)
    Very hot afternoon, really struggled on the hills

Wednesday 22nd: 5.75 miles in 46:10
    Slow run around Oldbridge by myself when kids were training. Got a bit lost down an overgrown path on banks of the Boyne, destroyed by nettles

Friday 24th: 10 miles in 1:13 (7:19)

Much more comfortable than previous week, with 7 miles at 6:50 pace. Felt it afterwards

Saturday 25th: 7.6 miles in 53:40

Big lump of a session with the club at Oldbridge. Couple of easy miles, then 5, 6, 7 and 8 minutes hard in 6:10-6:16 pace. Toughest session in an age

Monday 26th: 16 miles in 2:04 (7:46)

Pace was about 7:20-7:30 for 13 miles, but wind was very strong against me on last 3 miles. Good to get it done first thing

• Advertisement

Weds 29 August: 7.4 miles in 51 minutes

Cross country session with the club in Oldbridge. 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes, 5 minute tempo, then 1, 2, 3, 4. Hard work, but enjoyable to be out running fast.

Fri 31 Aug: 4.1 miles in 31:05 (7:35)
    Short one before the first day back at school

Sun 2 Aug: 20 miles in 2:33 (7:41) AvHR159

First proper long run, a few weeks later than it should have been, so didn’t try to push pace in any way. Kept it around 7:25-7:40 pace, and felt pretty good.

Mon 3rd Sept: 8.55 miles in 61 (7:09) AvHR156
    I had an hour to kill in Drogheda and ran both sides of the Boyne out to and back from Oldbridge. Legs were fairly dead at the start, but I put the hammer down for the last few miles. 7:44, 7:48, 7:52, 7:15, 6:52, 6:37, 6:22, 6:35, 6:37pace.

A bit of a strange one after the 20 miler the day before. Keep her steady.

Itziger wrote: »
    A bit of a strange one after the 20 miler the day before. Keep her steady.

Yeah, it was unintentional. Thought the route was about 7 miles and I’d plenty of time, had to speed up when I realised the route was longer, didn’t want to leave the young fella waiting for me.

Wednesday 5th Sept: 5 miles in 36:20 (7:15) AvHR: 150

Tipping around Oldbridge by myself when the kids were training.

Fri 7 Sept: 2 miles in 15:40 (7:50)

A few laps of the garden after finishing mowing the grass. Legs pretty stiff after doing sprints coaching with kids at school.

Sat 8 September: 16 miles in 2 hours (7:31) AvHR 154

Decided on a whim to go out when an opportunity arose. Felt very relaxed and comfortable for this, I’d considered dropping the pace down to 6:50s for a few miles, but just kept it relatively steady. I’m a bit late to start pushing pace in the hope of running sub3. Monaghan marathon in three weeks, I’ll probably aim for 3:15-3:20 sort of time. It’s a lovely race, and with the lack of really dedicated training this past couple of years, is the ideal type of race for just getting out and enjoying.

• Advertisement

Mon 10th Sep: 7.5 miles in 52:17 (6:58)

Pouring rain in Drogheda on Monday, I took a route out towards Donore, and back via the Boyne ramparts. Did a couple of faster miles to get the legs moving, 6:40, 6:41, 6:25

Weds 12th afternoon: session with kids at school: 2x60seconds, 3x40, 6x30

Evening: 8 miles in 55:38(6:57)

Options available for club training at Oldbridge were running with the kids group or doing 4x400m, not a particularly marathon specific session, so I went off by myself and ran a few miles. Slow warmup then 6:53, 6:43, 6:44, 6:39, 6:42, 6:39,7:20.
    Felt pretty good, I’m sure these hour long runs are beneficial for the marathon and cross country season.

Friday 14th: 4 miles in 30:30(7:36)

Easy early morning around the block

10x400m, not 4x400m :)

10x400m, not 4x400m :)

My bad.. 10x400m still not really up my street all the same. I think we’re finishing up in Oldbridge now, back to the track for the winter. The few group sessions I’ve done with you lot have been great, I’ve still a distance to go, but a big improvement on what I’ve been at the past couple of years.

Sun 16 Sept: 11 miles in 1:25:40 (7:48)

I’d the youngest buck in the buggy for this run yesterday afternoon. Nice running along with him, primarily discussing cows for most of it. Managed a couple of 6:xx miles on the easier sections but running uphill and into the wind took a lot of effort to keep under 8:00s.

Mon 17: 8.7 miles in 60:18 (6:56)

Drogheda-Donore-Oldbridge loop. Windy as be jaysus, and very warm, but motored nicely on fatigued legs.
    7:20, 6:53, 6:52, 6:42, 6:35, 6:32, 7:43, 6:15 (pace)

Sat 22 Sept: 5.1 miles in 39:30 (7:45)
    Can’t remember this run.

Mon 24 Sept: 6.5 miles in 47:24 (7:18)
    Nice handy run in Drogheda on the ramparts.

Friday 26th: 4.3 miles in 29:20
    I organised a 5k event for half the school at the track in drogheda, ran at 7:10 pace with a couple of the young fellas who take it seriously. Finished with a 68 second 400m in a homage to Kipchoge for the kids vs teacher challenge. Great fun.

• Advertisement

Monaghan Marathon race report

One of my favourite races, I turned up this morning with slightly sore quads, but by the time we were ready to get off, felt reasonably fine. The rough plan was to run in and around 7:20-7:40 pace, depending on the part of the course we were on. It’s a bit unique for a marathon, only about 1/4 of the race is on the road, and Rossmore Park is very undulating. I went off nice and handy on the first couple of miles into town, mostly running on feel, but moving well. 7:15, 7:10, 7:23, 7:15, 7:19 for those first few miles. I got a chance to estimate my place on a little out and back section, and figured I was in 8th place before heading into the forest for the first of four laps.

Once on the hilly trails, I seemed to start catching other marathoners fairly quickly, tried to stay sensible on the downhills as I knew it could come back to hurt later. Moved into 6th before taking a quick pit stop. All good. Took my gels at 5 mile intervals.

On the 2nd lap, I ran for a bit with two lads who had run 3:02 the previous day for the first leg of the back to back. Pretty impressed that they were comfortable at 7:15 miles. Headed on past them, possibly in 4th place. With the faster half marathoners finished, there were long sections when I’d nothing to work off, but the scenery is beautiful, and the constantly changing terrain keeps you honest.

I realised at some stage that the tree cover in the park was messing around with the garmin, so kept just running on feel, but when we were out in the open, I was running 7:05-7:15 for the most part, so pretty decent.
    On the start of the last lap, I got a good shout out from family, and whilst it was starting to drizzle and I was starting to hurt a bit, felt like I was running strongly and had enough energy to maintain the pace for the last 5 mile loop. Uphill sections really hurt this time, but I was getting plenty of encouragement from the people I was lapping, and knew that I really just had to work hard until 24 miles as it’s mostly downhill from there.

Out of nowhere, back to back Cork guy appears and hammers past me at about 6:20 mile pace. Some guy we were lapping encouraged me to give chase and get the place back. Damn it if I wasn’t going to try, did the last mile and a half at 7:00 pace but he was gone, serious stuff. Out onto the road, couple of hundred metres to go, enthusiastic family I have, my two older kids decide to join me for a sprint finish. Across the line for 5th place (I think) in 3:09:30. My 3 year old then delivered her grandstand finish to join us on the line.

Delighted how that went, elevation gain is 1,250 feet, and it’s on trails. I ran sensibly, negative splitting and probably couldn’t have done much more on that course. No sub3 in Monaghan, but it’s by far my best performance in a marathon since 2015. I reckon I’ll be back next year in Monaghan, it’s a fantastic event, a real proper club race, and the scenery alone is worth the entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's a super time on that course for a fella only returning to Marathon training. That climb looks horrible.
    What do you wear for a marathon like that? 'Normal' runners or trail shoes??

That's a super time on that course for a fella only returning to Marathon training. That climb looks horrible.
    What do you wear for a marathon like that? 'Normal' runners or trail shoes??

I just wore normal shoes as it had been pretty dry, it’s only muddy in a few spots in the park, mostly gravel. The elevation profile is tough, yeah, but I live up high, so it was a big advantage to me to be honest. Feel like I’m getting back into good shape, and time is freeing up again, so the future is bright.

Monday 1st Oct: 3.5 miles in 29:55 (8:33)
    Legs battered after Sunday, but started feeling a tiny bit better after a couple of miles.

Wednesday 3rd October: 5.45 miles in 39:45 (7:18)

The lads were doing 10x400m at the track. I did a couple of miles by myself first then jumped in with them for 5 of these. Pace was 80 seconds per lap I think. Felt alright, then some slow warm down laps.
    Novice cross country on Sunday, I’d say I’ll be grand for that.

Louth Novice 6k cross country

Cold, biting wind, rain, time for cross country season. I did my trademark turn up just in time for a 4 minute warmup and headed for the line. I wasn’t sure what pace or position I’d try but felt recovered from the marathon enough to run hard. The basic strategy was to head out not too fast, and then not to lose a big chunk of time in the middle.

At the off, I abandoned my strategy, and pushed two lads out of my way as I decided on the spur of the moment that I should tuck in behind PConn and another couple of teammates. We ran in formation, about four of us from the same training group for about the first half mile. A couple of the lads dropped off leaving 3 of us from the club and another couple of competing clubs in a group of about 5, with two of our lads further on ahead. On the first time up the hill, I realised I might be able to get an advantage there, and made a couple of places.

First mile was about 5:55 and I was feeling good. I reckon I was about 12-15 place at that point. The two lads and I were running together for a bit then, not sure who was pacing who, but at one point when I was taking a stint at the front, I realised they were a bit back from me. I was happy enough with this as I was catching a few people on rival teams, making up places. Second mile 6:08.

A lad in front of me fell on the downhill, and even though he was about 20m ahead of me, I ran past him, I was getting a bit aggressive, and upped the effort a lot for the 3rd lap. Decent enough gap behind me, and still making places, third mile 6:05. On the last lap, there was too much ground to make up to make up more places but I felt sure I’d be put under pressure from behind so battered on. Uphill was rough, mrs TPP roared me on, my calf screaming at me too, I felt like I was going backwards. Maybe only 10m behind me, my two club mates and at least one runner from another club. Any other day, I’d have been blitzed by them all on the home straight, but I’d put far too much into this one to let it happen today. Attacked the last tiny hill hard and put the hammer down as hard as I could. I’d no idea how close anyone was to me, didn’t dare look around, and made the line, 22:03 for possibly 7th.

Our team came 2nd, one miserable place behind the winners, having lost a place on the last corner with a fall. Pretty knackered after that, but young fella winning his race and daughter coming 2nd in hers was a fantastic way to round off the racing. Good start to the season

Thursday 11th October: 4.1 miles in 29:30 7:10
    The whole week seemed to keep getting away on me, this was as good as it got, poor stuff. Missed the Louth intermediate race as a result of losing my spikes and arriving 5 minutes late. I think my body might have been happy enough to be honest, after two races on consecutive weekends, so I’ll view it as a recovery week.

Monday 15th: 8.25 miles in 55:35 (6:44)

Back to my Monday tempo. Really got stuck into this one from the get go, and pretty much pushed it hard for about 45 minutes. Took in a half mile or so on the grass in Oldbridge before running the ramparts back to Drogheda. The path was officially closed for maintenance, so ended up having to clamber around a barrier at the end. Felt good.
    6:55, 6:44, 6:43, 6:27, 6:20, 6:26, 6:39, 7:17

Friday 19th: 4.1 miles in 29:10 (7:07)

I was busy Wednesday and Thursday, and by Friday evening was itching to get out on the road. Put the head torch on and ran at a decent enough clip around the block.

Sunday 21st: 17 miles in 2:02 (7:13)

One of the kids had a soccer tournament in Dundalk so I decided to run down. Weather was a bit rotten, headwind and raining for the majority of it. Stuck the foot down for a couple of 6:5x miles near the end. Nice run.

The guys are doing 2x3k at the track on Wednesday if you fancy a bit more of a longer session.

The guys are doing 2x3k at the track on Wednesday if you fancy a bit more of a longer session.

Cheers, planning on heading in for that. Going to try to keep going to Wednesday training over winter, great to keep intensity higher. You going to be there?

Cheers, planning on heading in for that. Going to try to keep going to Wednesday training over winter, great to keep intensity higher. You going to be there?

I'll be there but have to head back to work straight after so won't be training. See you then.

• Advertisement

Monday 22nd: 7.6 miles in 53 (6:58)

Usual route along the Boyne, couple of 6:30 miles but hard enough effort on tired legs.

Wednesday 24: 4.5 miles in 28:30 (6:19)

Session with club. Warmup then 3k in 11:05, dodgy stomach having had dinner an hour beforehand. Then 2k in 7:30.Finished with 3x200m in about 30-32 each. I’m not going to lie, felt like cr@p on the last lap of both of the intervals. But these are meant to be tough, and it’s been a long time since I’ve ran much at that pace.

Monday 22nd: 7.6 miles in 53 (6:58)

Usual route along the Boyne, couple of 6:30 miles but hard enough effort on tired legs.

Wednesday 24: 4.5 miles in 28:30 (6:19)

Session with club. Warmup then 3k in 11:05, dodgy stomach having had dinner an hour beforehand. Then 2k in 7:30.Finished with 3x200m in about 30-32 each. I’m not going to lie, felt like cr@p on the last lap of both of the intervals. But these are meant to be tough, and it’s been a long time since I’ve ran much at that pace.

WOW!!!!!!! What pace is that?

Sat 27Oct: 7 miles in 50:40 (7:14)

Headed off to Connemara for a few days. This has become one of my favourite places for running, in the forestry on trails passing two lakes. Hilly as be damned, 430ft elevation gain. Weather was bitter cold, with snow visible on the Twelve Pins. Ran hard, enjoyed it.

Sun 28Oct: 4 miles in 31:15 (7:49)

Ran the first 5k with my 7 year old in 25:30, he was disappointed not to be closer to the world record for his age, turned it up a bit to bring the distance up to 4 miles, on the track around the football field in Oughterard.

Mon 29 Oct: 5k in 28:05 (9:04)

Pushing the buggy with the youngest lad, and TPP Jr running alongside. Very hilly, Jr was annoyed to be slower, but pleased he ran 5k two days on the trot.

Thursday 1st November: 10.2 miles in 74:20 (7:17)

Back home and out for the first run of winter on my regular Sandpit loop with a bit extra tagged on. Ran 4 miles of this in 6:40-6:55 range, getting the body used to that pace again.

Friday 2nd: 7.55 miles in 54:40 (7:15)

Windy weather, kept the effort steady, 2 downhill miles in 6:5x range.

Louth seniors is tomorrow. PConn reckons I’m the all important 6th man on the team, I’m not quite convinced I am, but I’m prepared to run myself ragged to do as much as possible for the team.

I’ve also entered the Belfast Marathon on 5th May, so have every intention of putting in a decent few months training for that. At this stage, it’s 4 years since I ran a good time in a marathon, I’m not a million miles off getting into good shape. Looking forward to a solid winter of running.

Louth Senior Cross Country: 10k in 40:02 (6:17)

Legs were a bit heavy this morning, but when I saw the athletes that had turned up for us today, the pressure was off altogether, I knew I’d be our 8th or 9th man at best. Had my 9 year old girl running in U10 relay, she ran fantastic first leg, handing baton over in 1st place. They eventually finished 5th. 7 year old son then ran the 3rd leg of the U10 race, took the baton with a 5-10m lead, ran like a hare, only got caught up with about 20 of the 500m to run. His team took 1st and clubmates 3rd. Daughter then ran 3rd leg of the U12, ran great, made a couple of places but no champagne. However, outstanding performances from the both of them put the pressure on me!!

Our ladies won the team event by a point or two, and then it was our turn. With no individual pressure on, I planned to keep lads from our training group in sight, and hopefully pick people off later. 1st mile in 6:05 was a tad fast for me, but didn’t want to leave too much to do. As I’d expected, our lead men were occupying the front, with the lads I train with back in form and moving away from me. Kept the effort steady for the first three or four miles, pace fine. On last 3k, I started reeling in a few runners, passed about 4 lads from rival clubs and one of my teammates and lost no places. Our club took 1-2-3-4 and I think 18 and 20 to win the title. I was about 32nd, which didn’t particularly impress the kids, but I was happy enough. Splits were 6:04, 6:12, 6:17, 6:22, 6:25, 6:22, 6:14(pace)

That’s a fair distance away from good running, but it’s about 8 seconds per mile faster than last year. I’ll take it for now.

Monday 5th November: 7.6 miles in 53:55 (7:06)

This will have been the last run on this particular route for the winter unfortunately, with the evenings getting shorter. I’ll still have a few weeks of a slightly shorter route along the Boyne, but plenty of well lit good footpaths in Drogheda, so I’ll manage.

Ran pretty easily for the first couple of miles, but then turned it up for the last 3 or 4 miles. No ill effects from the race Sunday.

Wednesday 7th: 5.1 miles in 31:40 (6:13)

Session at the track, 2k-1k-2k1k-1mile. Not sure what the pace was, 3:50-3:55 per km possibly. Hammered out the last half mile of the mile rep pretty hard. Felt good. I might run the Leinster Novice race in Abbotstown on Sunday. The kids are running, but I might have left it late to send entry in.

Friday 9th November: 6 miles in 44:10 (7:22)
    Early morning run before school. Beautiful crisp morning, quiet roads, colourful dawn sky, what better way to start the day. Did 2 miles at 6:35-6:55 pace.

Saturday 10th: 5.65 miles in 40:00 (7:05)
    Nice little loop around Hill of Rath. Felt good, stronger than I’ve felt on this hilly route for a long time.

Tomorrow is Leinster seniors cross country. I’m going to get destroyed in it, checked last years results for comparison. It’d be a major achievement to finish in the top 75% of the race. Anyway, it’s not the point of it. Kids have underage races, and I’m just using tomorrow as a tempo run and hopefully enjoy the day.

Sunday was interesting, weather was terrible in Wexford (Adamstown, not Abbotstown)!! Everyone, children, parents, supporters all soaking and miserable. Decided not to annoy 30 people in order to come near last in a race. Good decision I think.

Monday 12th November: 4.1 miles in 29:48 7:16
    Tuesday 13th: 4.1 miles in 29:33 (7:13)
    Near identical early morning runs before school. Decent mild weather.

Wednesday 14th: 5.35 miles in 33:05 (6:11)
    Session at the track.
    1k in 3:45, 6x400 in 78-82, 1k in 3:45, then couple of steady miles in about 6:50-7:00 pace. Nice session, not crazy hard, but at a nice pace for 3k-5k race.

Friday 16th Nov: 4.1 miles in 32:28
    Pre-school, nice and easy

Sat 17th: 5.6 miles in 37:45
    Fairly motoring on this one, felt very fresh and going as good as I had been in a long time.

Sunday 18th: 4.1 miles in 28:12
    Again, decent pace. Didn’t get out til after dark, so no chance of a long run, so pushed pace on a bit.

Tuesday 20th: 4.1 miles in 31:48
    Took it easy on this early morning run, possibly I’m doing too high a percentage of my mileage at hard pace, so will keep an eye on that.

Wednesday 21st: 3.2 miles in 19:55

We were a bit late heading into the club session Wednesday, so only really got a bit over half the work done. Did 3x1k in about 3:25-3:35 per rep, then a mile or so steady, and cool down with the kids. Pace felt ok, I don’t think I’d be holding that for 5k at the moment, but we’ll see.

Sat 24th: 3.3 miles in 26
    Ran down to the bottom of the road for a dozen eggs, and gently home. No breakages.
    5k race tomorrow in Castleblayney, it’ll be my first 5k race since spring 2014, when I was in something close to my peak. PB from back then is 17:25 I think. Sub 18 I’d think is just about out of range at the moment, but I’ll try for that anyway. Kids doing 2k race, so I’m sure we’ll all have fun and buns.

Castleblayney 5k race report.

Kids lined up for their 2k race in miserable conditions at 1pm, took their place and stuck to the plan, very proud of them both, running 9:02 and 9:05, 2nd place girl U10 and 7th place boy U10.

Senior race at 2, looked like weather was improving, but rain just kept coming. Rough plan was to run 5:50 mile pace for as long as possible and try to beat my cousin’s wife, who I expected to challenge for the win. Lively enough first 500m, pace was showing at 5:35, didn’t think this was sustainable, so backed off a bit. 1k in 3:38, 1st mile in 5:49.

Felt pretty comfortable, and was pleased with the pace, passing out a few people. Road surface was woeful, lot of standing water and very bumpy, couple of little hills too, but race was at the turn around at halfway before I knew it. I’d taken care of both objectives, just about coming up to halfway, and pressed on a little on an uphill section.

On the road back into town, I spotted the first lady maybe 50 metres ahead, and made this my target. Pace stayed fairly even, second mile in 5:53, and I was working hard, but keeping it together. Passed out first lady and kept working harder. Dug in and gritted the teeth for the last mile, still making places up, always a target ahead to work off. Mile 3 in 5:52, then emptied the tank. Realised I hadn’t done quite enough to break 18, but bombed the last 200m pretty hard to finish in 18:12 for 18th place. It’s close enough to where I thought I’d be, and given the course, and conditions, a very decent run.

• Advertisement

Monday 26th : 8 miles in 57:39 (7:11)
    Full dark by 4:30 last Monday, so the usual route out to Oldbridge abandoned until the end of January probably. Chose a route that took me out through Mell, and back in the North road, and a meandering dash through town. Went nice and slow for the first couple of miles, then moved on a bit later on.

Thursday 29th: 4.1 miles in 29:55 (7:17)
    Wednesday was miserable, and felt like the kids were on the verge of getting a cold, so didn’t bother with the club session. Thursday, just went for a steady trot around the usual loop.

Saturday 1st December: 6 miles in 44:30 (7:26)
    Weather was wet and cold, so didn’t want to do much longer. Not a very impressive week of training, but better than nothing. Didn’t realize the masters cross country was on today, but I can only imagine the mess the course was in after the recent rain, so not to panic.
    After Scotstown got beaten in another Ulster final today, I was in pretty lousy form, was thinking of going running to try to move on, took the kids shopping instead. I’ve a 2 hour long run penciled in for next weekend. Looking forward to stepping things up.

Advertisement