Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Children have run and played since the very dawn of mankind - When you were a child I would guess that you ran at times yourself.

Your issue is 100% with the Building Company and its engineers, architects and scrounging accountants who built and marketed a shoebox construction with inadequate building materials, soundproofing, damping etc between the dwelling areas.

I'd have a lot of sympathy for your position but I'd also ask you to stop holding this poor couple and their child responsible for your plight.

It's clearly a crap, cheaply built apartment - emphasis should now be on making those responsible address this flaw to everybodys satisfaction - you mentioned other people have done this previously - Id be asking them for full details and degrees of success in the hope of putting this in place.

In my opinion you should also buy that poor couple you've been repeatedly troubling a Smyths toys voucher for €50 and apologize for any stress or worry you brought to their door.

How many hotels you been in with cheap laminate flooring thrown down on the floor?

Wooden floors in apartments are a bad idea in general but if they are to go in, they have to be properly done. They need to be floating, with good thick underlay on decently level floors, with minimal to no direct contact with walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

....... wrote: »
    My parents would have smacked me out of it with the wooden spoon if I made enough noise so as a neighbour was bothered by it.

I ran about, outside. We lived in a terraced house and I was well indoctrinated not to make ANY noise that might bother a neighbour.

Because my parents had respect for other people. Something sadly lacking in the parents described in the OPs tale.

When you were 2 years old your parents would have smacked you around for running inside? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Stanford wrote: »
    The reason for the noise is not the OP's problem, he is entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of his home

While I agree that the OP should be able to occupy the apartment without noisy neighbours, “quiet enjoyment” means occupation of the property free from interference by the landlord (OMC in this case). It has nothing to do with sound levels per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

How many hotels you been in with cheap laminate flooring thrown down on the floor?

Wooden floors in apartments are a bad idea in general but if they are to go in, they have to be properly done. They need to be floating, with good thick underlay on decently level floors, with minimal to no direct contact with walls.

People skimp on the underlay, cant see it, doesnt affect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

My parents would have smacked me out of it with the wooden spoon if I made enough noise so as a neighbour was bothered by it.

I ran about, outside. We lived in a terraced house and I was well indoctrinated not to make ANY noise that might bother a neighbour.

Because my parents had respect for other people. Something sadly lacking in the parents described in the OPs tale.

In 2002 I lived for around 18 months in an apartment where if the tenants overhead us walked from the cooker to the fridge every footstep acoustically reverberated and was seemingly amplified through their floor and our ceiling - The net result strangely was that the sound was louder for us than it was for them and was certainly very annoying.

I very clearly remember that when their toddler got to the running around stage it was painful. But I don't think they were negligent in letting the child run from Mommys arms into Daddys or across the room to get her favourite stuffed toy.....

We suffered it and moved out at the first opportunity - We never complained as we never took it as far as the people responsible - The owners/builder etc.

Some years later we bought our first house and within 5 minutes of the new adjoining neighbours blaring their stereo at lunatic volume (turned out she was in the habit of blasting up the volume while hoovering the whole house) there was a front doorstep meeting to leave her in no doubt that this wasn't going to be tolerated.

Maybe you should show your support for the OP and call in to duct-tape this kid upside-down to the ceiling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

correction wrote: »
    When you were 2 years old your parents would have smacked you around for running inside? Jesus.

If it had bothered the neighbours? Absolutely.

Children had to respect adults when I was growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Right. I just wouldn't have deemed a 2 year old not running inside as having respect for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

But a 2 year old has no concept or idea of what bothering someone means.
    At 2 years old they have just learned to walk or are still learning.
    And your saying your parent's used to hit you for running around your own
    house as a 2 year old? :eek:

correction wrote: »
    Right. I just wouldn't have deemed a 2 year old not running inside as having respect for adults.

You seem to continuously miss the relevant point - if it bothered the neighbours then I would have gotten a smack for doing it.

If a neighbour landed on my doorstep growing up to tell my parents that I was bothering them - for noise, knick knacking, general messing, annoying them at all - then i would have been punished and there is no way my parents would have laughed at the neighbours on the doorstep.

Only morons with feral children behave the way the OP is describing.

omega666 wrote: »
    But a 2 year old has no concept or idea of what bothering someone means.
    At 2 years old they have just learned to walk or are still learning.
    And your saying your parent's used to hit you for running around your own
    house as a 2 year old? :eek:

If it bothered the neighbours. Yep.

Incidentally I dont think I could "run" at 2 - but the general point stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

If it bothered the neighbours. Yep.

Incidentally I dont think I could "run" at 2 - but the general point stands.

Well you seemed to have turned out grand!!!!!

* Noted - Plans to smack children around for a bit later on .... just in case *

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Well you seemed to have turned out grand!!!!!

* Noted - Plans to smack children around for a bit later on .... just in case *

I think getting the odd smack of the wooden spoon is what helped develop my childhood ability for sprinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Right instead of making sure buildings are built to better standards parents should batter their kids. I would be uneasy living in a building like that, if there is no proper sound insulation you would wonder what fire insulation is there.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Right instead of making sure buildings are built to better standards parents should batter their kids.

People should not allow their children to bother others.

I can remember being driven around for hours at night when I had whooping cough as a child so that my relentless coughing wouldnt bother the neighbours who had to get up for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I can remember being driven around for hours at night when I had whooping cough as a child so that my relentless coughing wouldnt bother the neighbours who had to get up for work.

Well I am glad I was not brought up by your parents. Btw what would be the solution if you had bed ridden adult that couldn't be moved and they started coughing.

There are kids and adults who make too much noise but when building standards are so bad walking makes unbreable noise then you have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Your parents sound like responsible upstanding adults driving around a sick child for fear of annoying the neighbours.... Or else this is total crap? Hard to tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Klonker wrote: »
    The problem is the child is constantly running around making noise like someone is hammering in nails
    I'm assuming wooden floors? If so, check are you allowed to have wooden floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well I am glad I was not brought up by your parents. Btw what would be the solution if you had bed ridden adult that couldn't be moved and they started coughing.

There are kids and adults who make too much noise but when building standards are so bad walking makes unbreable noise then you have a problem.

Mine did the same and we lived in a detached house.

Sometimes babies just won't settle and taking them for a drive can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

the_syco wrote: »
    The problem is the child is constantly running around making noise like someone is hammering in nails
    I'm assuming wooden floors? If so, check are you allowed to have wooden floors.

I think wooden floors are allowed but states that correct action needs to be taken to minimize sound. Basically means the correct underlay needs to be used and a minimum floor thickness but I don't think this is the case because the sound is very loud that I just can't believe that they put proper floors. I get it hard to believe the building quality is that bad.

Anyway I've raised with management company so I will see what will happen.

• Advertisement

I have neighbours who are renting. Looks like the landlord stuck an old front door where the back door should be.

Literally shakes the cutlery stand when they slam the door. Doesn't help when they don't appear to work and this goes on even at 1am.

Rather than stress i am actually going to try to sound proof as much as possible. i did say it to them and even suggested just getting those rubber strips (about €5) which would make a difference but no, nothing done. Its more the landlord who stuck a crap door on i blame, tenants a lot of times don't care and bang doors. As much i dont agree with a lot of the PRTB, certain codes such as satisfactory flooring, front and rear doors should be created and regulated as it does disturb the peace. I actually did think if there was a fire a child couldn't open the front or rear door.

Anyway my plan is to soundproof efficiently to minimise the noise and vibrations as it will continue to the next tenancy and i don't want to live in discomfort or get in the mode of fighting fire with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I have neighbours who are renting. Looks like the landlord stuck an old front door where the back door should be.

Literally shakes the cutlery stand when they slam the door. Doesn't help when they don't appear to work and this goes on even at 1am.

Rather than stress i am actually going to try to sound proof as much as possible. i did say it to them and even suggested just getting those rubber strips (about €5) which would make a difference but no, nothing done. Its more the landlord who stuck a crap door on i blame, tenants a lot of times don't care and bang doors. As much i dont agree with a lot of the PRTB, certain codes such as satisfactory flooring, front and rear doors should be created and regulated as it does disturb the peace. I actually did think if there was a fire a child couldn't open the front or rear door.

Anyway my plan is to soundproof efficiently to minimise the noise and vibrations as it will continue to the next tenancy and i don't want to live in discomfort or get in the mode of fighting fire with fire.

Just curious as to how you plan to sound proof?

Just curious as to how you plan to sound proof?

Still researching it.

A builder friend said to install kingspan insulated plaster obards, about 80-100mm on the party wall. Not sure will this work though as i have read insulation is completely different from sound proofing.

I have been researching that the sound needs to be absorbed so seeing maybe if you can get sound absorbing pictures.

I am half way through installing carpets in the upstairs room with good underlay. Will need to look at the quality of the windows as well.

From reading up soundproofing is fairly scientific, even cracks or mortar loosening can allow paths for sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

A friend of mine was faced with either moving house or soundproofing her semi-d. She went with professional soundproofing - it cost €10k but meant she could live in her house.

I’ve read threads similiar to this before on here. It isn’t the noise of a toddler’s footsteps per se - when soundproofing isn’t done correctly - then sound can be amplified in the downstairs or adjoining property. What sounds like toddler’s footsteps in one property can be amplified so much in the adjacent property that it sounds like elephants dancing. Constant noise intrusion into your home is upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

April 73 wrote:
    A friend of mine was faced with either moving house or soundproofing her semi-d. She went with professional soundproofing - it cost €10k but meant she could live in her house.

Wow. 10k must have hurt. Hope life is better now

Advertisement